UnevenEdge

UnevenEdge Update: Forum Restructuring & Future Plans

8 hours ago, Neko said:

Rules?  There were rules?  Lol.  Do what you have to to get more participation.  I can say that I've been with some of you guys almost 20 years so seeing a hammer is a bit weird.  Hoping to see more nudes and ducks.  Cheers you glorious deginerant fuckers!...

....and I really mean ducks.

Hottest Duck in your in box right now bb

Meh, I'll come here and ask this in seriousness....I see the word traffic getting used a lot. Why does a place need traffic to exist. The few that come obviously enjoy it for whatever reason...whether it's to chat or sheer masochism, why does the life of the board have to be dependent on new users and traffic 

If the few people here were paying the server cost (I'm not gonna start) why can't the place exist for those few people who are willing to dig into their pockets in this economy just to congregate. 

I just don't feel like this should be the decision of one person or even 3. If those people are tired of the place, why not just pass the torch to another willing. No one has to die to change management.  You can just quit.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I've been looking for someone credible/neutral who might have interest for like three years. 

katt everytime someone nominates her without asking her first:

sweating key and peele GIF

Well, who knew this....is this public knowledge because it's the first I'm hearing of it but I'll admit, I kinda stopped reading you post outside of this folder.

So we'll just say it's not Katt. Has anyone else been asked....I do recall Scoob saying at some point he could to some effect but I may be remembering that wrong. At any rate, you have a slew of tech savvy people here that aren't complete assholes...maybe seight, top gun....I think that guy is busy though. 

Maybe ask board wide and see who would want to step up...even this matrixman guy who seems seriously invested. 

I just don't feel as though you're out of options.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Insipid said:

Tech savvy? KN is a literal software engineer. Pat's position is about management.

Don't forget you need KN's approval too, lawl

And here comes this tool. No one is talking about web security, I'm talking about navigating the software's functions. 

You slow learning twats come with the most sophomoric bullshit to validate the fact that you just don't play well with others.

And as far a KN goes, I doubt he'll care if pat leaves the site, as long as he wets his beak.

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

And here comes this tool. No one is talking about web security, I'm talking about navigating the software's functions. 

You slow learning twats come with the most sophomoric bullshit to validate the fact that you just don't play well with others.

And as far a KN goes, I doubt he'll care if pat leaves the site, as long as he gets his beak.

Mmm, he's expressed his dislike for your babbling clique quite openly on numerous occasions.

Good luck, lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

and what is credible and trustworthy, in your opinion, to run these boards?

i'm just curious. 

I mean I don't have like a written job posting.

But think like cross-folder, "general" community bona fides, can be trusted with user data, values some degree of continuity/staff collaboration but also has some new energy/ideas, closes the toilet lid when they're done peeing so the cat doesn't accidentally take a swim trying to get up to the window, etc.

It's not urgent (especially if the self-run groups take some of the burden on katt and I) but there's a few people I've got an eye on not just for this question but in terms of helpers/mods/volunteers in general. This transition is giving us an opportunity to work with more/new people on all sides and get a better sense of who is interested in the community generally, so we'll see. It's a slow-burn thing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, André Toulon said:

Well, who knew this....is this public knowledge because it's the first I'm hearing of it but I'll admit, I kinda stopped reading you post outside of this folder.

So we'll just say it's not Katt. Has anyone else been asked....I do recall Scoob saying at some point he could to some effect but I may be remembering that wrong. At any rate, you have a slew of tech savvy people here that aren't complete assholes...maybe seight, top gun....I think that guy is busy though. 

Maybe ask board wide and see who would want to step up...even this matrixman guy who seems seriously invested. 

I just don't feel as though you're out of options.

Not to interject, but part of it is about making administering this place less onerous before worrying about who is doing what.  Just having someone else try to do what Pat has been doing by himself up to this point is just going to end poorly.  It makes more sense to give stakeholders more of a say over their stakes then continue to have one person take all the responsibility for keeping everyone happy.

• Like 3
  • D'oh 1

2 hours ago, NewBluntsworth said:

😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡 🤡

There are stakeholders as in people who do still participate in the community and legacy users/lurkers that have a place to come back to. There is a time investment because of that nostalgia and that sense of community. It's not as ridiculous as you seem to think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

So, uh..... what's this off-topic 2.0 Toonami subheading? Am I supposed to not be able to access it, or is it just a glitch that it gives an error? Is it a club I haven't figured out how to join? If you just haven't bothered to open it up yet, when will it be open?

You can request permission and get denied like everybody else who isn't a regular enough poster in the Toonami folder, is my guess and personal experience.

It turned out they didn't like my AEW Absolution jokes as much as I thought they did. Probably because the idea of wrestling on Toonami doesn't sound as much like a joke anymore, given the current state of that program...

Edited by NewBluntsworth

21 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

So, uh..... what's this off-topic 2.0 Toonami subheading? Am I supposed to not be able to access it, or is it just a glitch that it gives an error? Is it a club I haven't figured out how to join? If you just haven't bothered to open it up yet, when will it be open?

I'm testing plugging the main community clubs right into the forum list for convenience. Can you screencap what it looks like when you click on it, for science?

Ok, just gonna throw this out there, probably wouldn't be entirely palatable for those affected, but...

In the interest of restructuring and consolidation, and with all of [as] + Toonami crammed into one folder now, I'd propose having all of the Toonami episode discussion threads merged into one weekly Toonami thread. Either that, or one general discussion thread per show.

The "Episode discussion archive" folder thing was maybe a nice idea, but entirely too much work and upkeep to continually move old threads over, which seems like it hasn't even been touched since the merger. The threads are all always immediately abandoned as soon as the episode is over, which is itself a limitation on the concept of the threads, preventing any meaningful ongoing discussion. And, as expected, all the episode discussion threads just generally drown out anything else going on in the folder.

No other [as] show discussion has ever had or needed individual episode discussion threads, Toonami threads should adapt to a similar format.

Tradition is never a good reason to not consider alternatives.

It's tradition because at the start we actually discussed things, and it wasn't just a glorified reaction play-by-play thread.

It's tradition because folks used to put in effort to spruce up the top post, with actual competition, not just for "first" but also for "best."

Shit, there's been weeks where some threads just don't even get made until after an episode starts cuz nobody cares enough to make them. There's only a handful of users that still actively participate, so they're the same ones making the threads every week anyway. The whole "post the thread at midnight Friday" thing is entirely outmoded, since there's no longer any real pre-discussion.

In conclusion, times change, the forum has shrunk, the tradition should be retired.

I had a follow-up post per rpgamer's suggestion that got wiped when I flipped between tabs (basically that I could envision ways to streamline discussion threads while keeping premieres single), but I was gonna say I had set up this thread in the Toonami club section to hash out internally how you guys want it to be structured to get the most value out of the folder: https://unevenedge.com/topic/58796-toonami-tune-up/

Eh, ain't a club member, I'm just here throwing out a general board user perspective.

But, admittedly, I'm also biased against the idea of individual threads to begin with. Even still, I do genuinely believe consolidated threads would generally be a better quality environment.

Bizarrely, the idea of individual threads works better for the comedy shows, with self-contained episodes, rather than the ongoing story of most anime. And yet, even the ASC folks new single episode threads was a silly idea.

Like I said, didn't figure the idea would be palatable to the users that only ever come for Toonami discussion, and that's fair. Absolutely they ought to probably have a little more weight in that consideration. Still, throwing it out there since the restructure is as good a time as any to lay that tradition to rest. It's just not worth hanging on to anymore.

I mean I have little to no interest in what episode threads have been over the past decade or so either, but if some people enjoy posting in them, then why bother them? It's not like they're doing any harm.

And individual comedy episode threads didn't work because, from what I recall, they basically had a negative postcount.

40 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

but if some people enjoy posting in them, then why bother them? It's not like they're doing any harm.

The same argument could be used against the entire restructure.

I'm just proposing an improvement. One that would ultimately have a greater positive impact than negative.

Additional point, now that I see someone has gone through and done some archiving:

This doesn't really resolve the issue of individual episode threads crowding out anything else in the folder. The "moved thread" placeholder is still taking up exactly the same space as the thread left alone. Maybe you can make an argument about it being clearer which threads aren't Toonami/episode discussion related, where you can see views/replies and such, amid a sea of blank space.

Hell, you could probably even get away with a compromise of sorts, for the long runners at least, and have individual arc threads if folks really wanted to break up discussion so much. Like, do we really need separate threads for every Naruto filler episode? Can we not just get away with a "filler arc" thread?

In this case, I'd agree, keeping it off would be required. There'd be more getting moved to replace all the self-deletion every week, no change in volume. Also helps that there's the big "Episode Discussion Archive" at the top, should be fairly intuitive for anyone that might wonder where all the old/missing threads disappeared to even if no redirects are provided.

It's a satisfactory alternative, but I'll still hold the position that persistent show discussion threads would provide a better quality environment for the hypothetical "new users" that we're hoping to attract.

Admittedly, I suppose one flaw in that is the notion of spoilers... At least the individual episode threads tend to keep broad/future discussions to a minimum. Usually.

I'll keep that box unchecked next time since I agree that it looks kind of wonky now, but at the end of the day I still don't see individual episode threads being any sort of real issue. It's 5 new threads a week in a folder that would probably only get 2 or 3 new threads per week otherwise.

Another argument for individual discussion threads is that at the end of the day, not everyone cares for every show airing. Individual discussion threads allow for people to skip the show discussion they don't care for without having to drag through all the posts leading up to that particular section of the night's discussion. Especially helpful for those people who don't watch it as it aires but return later and might want to make a comment or three about things. 

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

Another argument for individual discussion threads is that at the end of the day, not everyone cares for every show airing. Individual discussion threads allow for people to skip the show discussion they don't care for without having to drag through all the posts leading up to that particular section of the night's discussion. Especially helpful for those people who don't watch it as it aires but return later and might want to make a comment or three about things. 

I think his argument was for each series having its own ongoing thread, not one thread for each Saturday night lineup. That way people who are only interested in one or two shows can just stick to those threads and not worry about any of the others.

And I mean, that approach makes a lot of sense, and I don't have any problem with it. My point is that the decision should be left up to the people who actually participate in these weekly discussions. If they want to switch over to a single thread per series, great. If they want to keep doing the individual episode threads every week, also great. It shouldn't be on those of us who don't even participate to decide things for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

I think his argument was for each series having its own ongoing thread, not one thread for each Saturday night lineup. That way people who are only interested in one or two shows can just stick to those threads and not worry about any of the others.

I think either option is viable. One maintains the "weekly thread' tradition, the other follows the format most anything else uses.

And I bring this all up because I do actually (occasionally) participate in the threads. I'm just not into the "live play by play reaction" format. There's no real discussion to foster since the threads are abandoned so quickly. But, hard to say if that's a result of the individual episode thread format, or simply users that don't come around much outside of Saturday night. Or just, y'know, there only being like five people that talk about anything to begin with..

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

And I mean, that approach makes a lot of sense, and I don't have any problem with it. My point is that the decision should be left up to the people who actually participate in these weekly discussions. If they want to switch over to a single thread per series, great. If they want to keep doing the individual episode threads every week, also great. It shouldn't be on those of us who don't even participate to decide things for them.

I always leave those decisions to the people in the folder themselves, up to and including making discussion threads to fill the gaps on Saturday nights. If something is reported, I'll be there but the discussion stuff is all theirs to make.

Plus, it's always seemed like a cheat for me to make one since I can float my own threads. Someone else should have their name on the floaties. 

• Like 1

I mean the episode threads had largely devolved into play-by-play over a decade ago, well before the demise of the ASMB. Most of the people who got into the more in-depth discussion have either long since left the community, or else don't seem to be into it anymore. Lord knows I lost the energy for long-form discussion posts a very long time ago. If you can find a bunch of people who still want to do that, it'd be fantastic, but I'm not sure they're out there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I made an account here a year or two ago after finding out that ASMB were no more. I was active there mainly between 2005 and 2012. I left after The Boards started to go down hill. I certainly miss the community. 

I have not really posted much here at all but lately I have been feeling nostalgic and want to try and reconnect with some of the online communities I used to frequent. Even though I have not been much of a part of UnevenEdge aside from lurking, ASMB and what is left here at UE were my favorite. I would definitely like this community to stick around and will make it a priority to engage and contribute and help in any way I can. I cannot believe that it will be 20 years next year since the beginning. I greatly hope that this place can last even longer!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

So I made an account here a year or two ago after finding out that ASMB were no more. I was active there mainly between 2005 and 2012. I left after The Boards started to go down hill. I certainly miss the community. 

I have not really posted much here at all but lately I have been feeling nostalgic and want to try and reconnect with some of the online communities I used to frequent. Even though I have not been much of a part of UnevenEdge aside from lurking, ASMB and what is left here at UE were my favorite. I would definitely like this community to stick around and will make it a priority to engage and contribute and help in any way I can. I cannot believe that it will be 20 years next year since the beginning. I greatly hope that this place can last even longer!

Welcome back, lemon !!!

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

In similar boat, thanks for speaking your piece.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:47 AM, Insipid said:

I meant specifically entertaining your crap, and before you call me out on it, yes I am eating my words now.

At this point, I care more about the 20th anniversary than the future prospects of these boards. Fortunately, that's not contingent on it shutting down, even though I still believe that's the best thing to do.

Hnnnnngh