UnevenEdge

Putin: "Stick to the timeline!"

tsar4

Im about halfway through this thing, and yea, ok bud. Some pretty serious revisionist history around WWII and the fallout after that.

Hes spending a lot of time talking about his history and what he thinks happened. Its also pretty clear he still thinks the collapse of the USSR was the worst thing ever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tsar4 said:

The inference in a BBC article made it sound like Zaluzhnyl didn't like using military tech that much.

Not sure which article I read it, probably the one I linked, but in addition to the stalled out counteroffensive, they were openly disagreeing and it was on the cusp of a bipolar power structure. Almost a little bit like Truman and MacArthur but without 70 years of hindsight.

Mans got a serious hard on for the USSR and wanting to go back to the glory days of the soviet union.

Now some historying on the fall of Rome and genetically engineering super humans. Special shout out to Musk and his human implanted chips.

That was something, thats for sure. Some interesting parts, such as when Tucker brought up Gershkovich, but also a whole lot of Putin just droning on and on about a whole bunch of stuff.

Under no circumstances should you give that interview any thought. A genocidal dictator who lies everyday talking to a right-wing conman who lies everyday, shown on a social network filled with lies in every other post.

You'll be dumber for watching it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 2/7/2024 at 6:33 AM, Icarus27k said:

This part about Russia is arguably the weirdest. 

Screenshot_20240207-073113.thumb.png.f4421c934ec379a623f44c4b6869cc30.png

It's an entire country behaving like an obsessed ex-boyfriend/girlfriend. 

I mean...they've been like that for quite some time now.  It's immediately noticeable if you follow Russian language media at all.  It's just "США" this, "США" that, everyday.  😅

Although to be fair, it's not just a Russia thing.  Americans kind of live in this bubble where we pretty much ignore everybody unless they're relevant to us for whatever reason.  The rest of the world watches us way more than we watch them.  It's a consequence of being a big power.  

• Like 1

On 2/8/2024 at 1:08 PM, Raptorpat said:

Funnily enough this was already being rumored a couple weeks ago but was shot down as "Russian disinformation" etc.  So it's kind of interesting that it turns out to be true after all.   

Zaluzhnyi is popular among Ukrainians so Zelenskyy gave him some high military award, most likely to stave off bad rumors and prevent bad feelings and disunity.  

14 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Hes spending a lot of time talking about his history and what he thinks happened. Its also pretty clear he still thinks the collapse of the USSR was the worst thing ever.

To be fair, that's a very typical Russian Boomer opinion.  

And it's honestly understandable, because the collapse of the USSR WAS catastrophic for most of their generation.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

Under no circumstances should you give that interview any thought. A genocidal dictator who lies everyday talking to a right-wing conman who lies everyday, shown on a social network filled with lies in every other post.

I didn't originally have an interest in watching it, but after I saw the memes about Putin pretty much being a Reddit history autist while Tucker looks dumb and clueless, I did admittedly get curious.  

• Haha 1

Anyway, probably not going to watch the entire interview, but I did watch the beginning of it because as an Eastern European history nerd I did get curious.  

It was pretty much a typical Russian nationalist take, which I expected,  and definitely got more egregiously misleading as Putin got into the 20th century.  (Particularly how he chose to recount Poland's role in history, jfc).  Completely omitted for instance that Russia participated in partitioning Poland and they didn't even have a state for 150 years, until after World War I.  And also blamed Poland for getting invaded by Germany in WWII.  

Claiming Ukraine is an artificial state made up by the USSR is also a pretty common Russian nationalist take.  

The main danger with nationalist narratives is that they are based on historical facts, just interpreted creatively and with omissions, and when they're presented by someone with a calm and authoritative vibe, it can be hard to detect everything that's wrong with what they're saying.  And it's almost a certainty that the average Tucker Carlson viewer can't even find most of the nations being discussed on a map, to say nothing of knowing their history.  Tucker Carlson himself clearly didn't seem to know much either since he never challenged anything except to say he didn't understand the relevance.  So pretty much, I'm not at all confident that the average Tucker viewer can even detect BS.  (I mean...if they could, they wouldn't be Tucker Carlson viewers in the first place, I suppose).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 9:23 PM, Icarus27k said:

and i'd argue, that one SHOULD watch to see just how insane things are getting. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2024 at 11:43 AM, Master-Debater131 said:

Maybe he should've taken a trip about an hour and a half out of Moscow. He could've traveled back to 1905.

There's a whole genre of travel videos on YouTube chronicling how shitty it is to live in Russia. If you don't die of alcoholism, you're dying of air/ground/water pollution. Kind of a modern Republican party paradise.

On 2/13/2024 at 7:48 PM, discolé monade said:

and i'd argue, that one SHOULD watch to see just how insane things are getting. 

I didn't watch it. I didn't need to hear Putin's boring History rant to tell me that his motivation is pretty much "We used to own everybody around us 200 years ago. Those were the good old days. I want to bring the good old days back."

I'm more bothered by the line of Republicans and fringe media types that fall over themselves trying to tell us "America is the bad guy here." I'm not use to people debasing themselves like this outside the world of fiction.

2 hours ago, tsar4 said:

I imagine the death parade for Putin will be very theatrical. Going by authoritarian leader deaths (Hoxha, Kim Jong Il, Niyazov) you'll probably see people lined up along the streets to outcry each other. Then there'll be a struggle for power and either Russia collapses further losing its grip on more republicans or becomes more authoritarian.

Anyway, the Russians don't memorialize people who stood up to the USSR. They still memorialize Stalin looking back at him as if it were the good old days. I don't think they'll ever memorialize Navalny because Russians.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 10:06 AM, Raptorpat said:

lol is there any example of victim blaming more extreme than that?

Ultra-nationalists in general can get pretty wild.  Just bring up [insert bad thing their people have done here] and things can get really uncomfortable really quick.  

The more typical Russian WWII narrative minimizes/disregards stuff like Molotov-Ribbentrop, Soviet war crimes, and invasions of their neighbors (Baltics, Finland, Poland), and portrays Soviets as primarily victims (somewhat true) and as liberators (which is.. very debatable to say the least, because going from Hitler to Stalin is pretty much a heads you win, tails I lose kind of situation).  

But this is a level of historical revisionism that's pretty much just straight up Nazi propaganda, honestly.  And he pretty clearly paralleled the Nazi invasion of Poland with his invasion of Ukraine so...yeah.  You're never on the right side of history if you have to compare yourself to someone like fricking Hitler to justify your actions.  

(It's even more mind boggling because a lot of Putin's family was killed or otherwise victimized by the Nazis when they invaded the USSR, and most people tend to have visceral feelings about things that negatively affected them or their family members and feel the effects of generational trauma.  It's very weird).  

• Like 2

On 2/14/2024 at 1:11 PM, scoobdog said:

I'd probably watch it to see Tucker Carlson groveling.

Tucker Carlson groveling and shilling for Putin's regime is honestly just cringey and infuriating.   

Like it's super obvious for one thing that he doesn't actually know any ordinary Russians and that he didn't travel outside of Moscow, which are classic tourist mistakes.  

IDK as someone who's had an interest in Russian culture and history since childhood, I just hate that so many of these people repulsive weirdos interested in Russia for all the wrong reasons (to try to get Russian women or because they think it's some kind of conservative utopia against the decadent West... that sums up like 90% of them).  

• Thanks 2

On 2/17/2024 at 6:26 PM, ZoomBubba said:

Anyway, the Russians don't memorialize people who stood up to the USSR. They still memorialize Stalin looking back at him as if it were the good old days. I don't think they'll ever memorialize Navalny because Russians.

This is not true.  There are various memorials to the victims of Soviet repressions (in fact one of them is mentioned in the article about Navalny).  And Stalin is definitely not memorialized, he's a very controversial and divisive historical figure still.  

I don't know if they'll memorialize Navalny, but it's not out of the realm of possibility, because they memorialize Boris Nemtsov (last major opposition figure before Navalny, arguably the last person in Russia who actually had a chance of being a genuine threat to Putin).  

He was assassinated on a footbridge at the base of the Kremlin walls in 2015.  People set up a makeshift memorial to him.  From time to time the authorities remove it (including just yesterday, because people had started leaving tributes to Navalny there as well), but people put it back again.  Sometimes it's been desecrated and people who maintain it have been threatened or assaulted (one guy actually died after being beaten, officially it's still an "unresolved case").  But people still keep the memorial going.  For nine years now.  

When I saw it I was honestly really surprised.  This isn't some out of the way location, it is a high foot traffic area, right at the base of the Kremlin.  It's like a constant symbol of defiance against Putin.  So there is a flame of hope burning there still, even if it's a small one.  

• Like 1

https://euromaidanpress.com/2024/02/17/commander-ukrainian-troops-withdrew-from-avdiivka/

After a bloody months-long battle, Russia has taken the town of Avdiivka in Donetsk.  

It's just a stagnant, bloody war of attrition at this stage.  

https://euromaidanpress.com/2023/04/28/eu-considers-exports-curbs-against-countries-that-help-russia-avoid-sanctions-ft-says/

Also, Russia has been bypassing sanctions.  The loophole is that EU countries/companies have been exporting to third countries (primarily Russian neighbors like the Caucasus and Central Asian countries), and then those third countries export the goods to Russia.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winter_Rain said:

https://euromaidanpress.com/2024/02/17/commander-ukrainian-troops-withdrew-from-avdiivka/

After a bloody months-long battle, Russia has taken the town of Avdiivka in Donetsk.  

It's just a stagnant, bloody war of attrition at this stage.  

The White House put out a statement, directly blamed House GOP:

image.png

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2024/02/17/readout-of-president-bidens-call-with-president-zelenskyy-of-ukraine-13/

• Thanks 1