UnevenEdge

Best way to get rid of a panic attack?

Katya_Hiki

6 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

giphy.gif 

Follow me for more secrets to excellent mental health.

Tips include: 

Just don't be sad.

Just be happy.

Stop being poor.

And my best advice yet .... 

Stop shouting your paranoid conspiracy ramblings in public. Funnel them at a small group of people on a message board 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, bnmjy said:

conscious kegelspasming

(No really, directing attention to another body part helps. Deep breathing is normally recommended, but that's boring)

It's called progressive muscle relaxation XD

I guess you could do kegels as part of it 

• Like 1

Kick it in the balls.

Also, deep breaths and reminding oneself that a panic attack can only last so long no matter what it might be telling you. Panic attacks deflate, you just need to find a comfortable place to breathe until then. And then once it's dropping its screaming, you'll be better able to focus on whatever the issue is and tackle it without all the internal screaming and mental muppet arms. 

The only (pretty worthless) advice I can give is to lie down.... The only time a panic attack didn't result in me passing out was when I felt it coming and immediately went to lie down. And for whatever reason, how my panic attacks all end is with me getting the dry heaves. After I dry heave, that's when the panic attack subsides.

As for preventing panic attacks occurring in the first place, my primary care doctor put me on paxil and told me to get therapy, so I did both those things and they worked like a charm for me. My doctor told me specifically just doing one or the other will not work, but doing both at the same time works. But of course different people need different things, so what worked for me, might not work for you. And of course you may have already tried all of this and it didn't help much. But that's all the advice I got.