UnevenEdge

Does Christian God have a name

BlackNoir

Apparently I won't be sleeping tonight, and that's cool, I had shit to do but that means I get to sit up and think stupid shit. (typos aplenty incoming because I ain't googling shit)

Like how other religion's God's have names...Like Ganesha or whatever, and Yaweh is just Jesus, right (Legit asking, I'm a heathen)...And even in Christianity, the Devil has names...Bealzebub and Satan and....Well, there are others i can't think of rn but you get the point. 

But does Christian God ever go by like Jaime or some shit or is he always just "god"....Because that seems lazy and dumb to me....I'm hoping I'm wrong and he actually does have a proper noun name.

is Baal and Bael the same dude?

The Christian god is a triune deity with job titles for each part - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I think the only reason that Jesus wound up with a name was because He was the only part that had to deal directly with the public.

There's no one official name that I'm aware of. There are several and a lot of them just translate to descriptive titles.

My favorite is when they get really excited in church and go through all the names they can think of on the fly

• Haha 2

Jehovah (/dʒɪˈhoʊvə/) is a Latinization of the Hebrew יְהֹוָה‎ Yəhōwā, one vocalization of the Tetragrammaton יהוה‎ (YHWH), the proper name of the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible and is considered one of the seven names of God in Judaism. ... The derived forms Iehouah and Jehovah first appeared in the 16th century.

9 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

Yaweh isnt Jesus, but Iashua is.

Yaweh is "god" but he more commonly goes as "Jehova".

Thats why they're called Jehova's witnesses.

Jehovah (/dʒɪˈhoʊvə/) is a Latinization of the Hebrew יְהֹוָה‎ Yəhōwā, one vocalization of the Tetragrammaton יהוה‎ (YHWH), the proper name of the God of Israel in the Hebrew Bible and is considered one of the seven names of God in Judaism. ... The derived forms Iehouah and Jehovah first appeared in the 16th century.

How do these contradict?

22 minutes ago, //>wagz./ said:

//> yaweh ( ya way ) , I ask this same question in Sunday school years ago( when the class went to the upstairs)and was greeted with the " I AM " crap , I said no , and then was told why lutherins say I AM ./

Not sure if this is what you're talking about but there are stories where people are like ... how will we know God sent you? Or how do we know its you God?

The reply is always like ... I am what I am 

And everybody is like

tenor.gif

1 minute ago, Vamped said:

Not sure if this is what you're talking about but there are stories where people are like ... how will we know God sent you? Or how do we know its you God?

The reply is always like ... I am what I am 

And everybody is like

tenor.gif

But that's what Popeye says...so Popeye is God?

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, BlackNoir said:

Not sure how they do but Christianity and Judaism do

Are you under the impression that Jesus told the Jews  their god was fake and invented a whole new one?

One day Abraham says "Hey, there's this feller in the sky called YWH. Told me to kill my son, but then told me not to. Anyways that's god for ya. Let's get to worshipping."

Then a long time after that one of his descendents is like "Yo, my name is Yeshua, and boy howdy that's a pretty cool Yaweh/Jehova we all worship. I'm his kid, by the way. Let party."

Then the romans killed him and wrote INRI over his head (Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum [Iashua of Nazareth, king of the jews]). 

A bunch of the followers of Jehova were all like "Shit, that guy was legit with his devotion to Jehova. Let's all follow him."

A bunch of them were like "Ehhhh, I mean I don't really buy it, we'll stick to worshipping just Yaweh/Jehova/Elohim (same deity, lotsa nicknames). No Christ for us, thanks.

Then a bit after that a bunch of the original Jehova worshippers were like "You know who's totally unappreciated? Abraham's son Ishmael. Dude was fucking boss." the original Yaweh fans were all like "Man, Ishmael wasn't shit, Abraham's son Isaac is where it's at."

So they spit up the faith, the originalists and Isaac fans kept calling him Yaweh, the Ishmael fans started calling him Allah, and the Joshua fans went with "god" after saying Jehova was made illegal.

Then a loooooooooong time after that the Jehova's witnesses pop up and are all like "Fuck, let's just call him Jehova again."

Edited by SwimModSponges

3 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Elohim as a vague translation is a plural containing both genders at the same time.

That's all I got but it's a great way to shut fundies up for a bit. 

I think Popeye is better. Ditch the bread and wine and eat your damned spinach.

8 hours ago, mthor said:

The Christian god is a triune deity with job titles for each part - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I think the only reason that Jesus wound up with a name was because He was the only part that had to deal directly with the public.

I question this.  Mostly because I think there is a Bible passage where it's mentioned that Jesus will sit at the right hand of God.  Why/How would God sit at his own right hand?

As to the name of God, I think there might be a carryover from the mystic side of Judaism, where knowing God's actual name gives one the power to summon Him.  I cannot think of any human being that I'd want to have such power.

2 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

I question this.  Mostly because I think there is a Bible passage where it's mentioned that Jesus will sit at the right hand of God.  Why/How would God sit at his own right hand?

When I was a wee practicing Catholic, they told us in CCD that such mysteries were beyond the comprehension of man.

Now eat your spinach.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mthor said:

When I was a wee practicing Catholic, they told us in CCD that such mysteries were beyond the comprehension of man.

Now eat your spinach.

Yeah, I was baptized RC, but I find the more I read about Orthodox Christianity, the more it makes sense.

16 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

As to the name of God, I think there might be a carryover from the mystic side of Judaism, where knowing God's actual name gives one the power to summon Him.  I cannot think of any human being that I'd want to have such power.

I always understood it as God created the other two and they just exist in this infinite relationship.

So its not like God just reabsorbs Jesus into himself. Jesus is there to advise. Everybody has their own job to do.

5 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

Are you under the impression that Jesus told the Jews  their god was fake and invented a whole new one?

One day Abraham says "Hey, there's this feller in the sky called YWH. Told me to kill my son, but then told me not to. Anyways that's god for ya. Let's get to worshipping."

Then a long time after that one of his descendents is like "Yo, my name is Yeshua, and boy howdy that's a pretty cool Yaweh/Jehova we all worship. I'm his kid, by the way. Let party."

Then the romans killed him and wrote INRI over his head (Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum [Iashua of Nazareth, king of the jews]). 

A bunch of the followers of Jehova were all like "Shit, that guy was legit with his devotion to Jehova. Let's all follow him."

A bunch of them were like "Ehhhh, I mean I don't really buy it, we'll stick to worshipping just Yaweh/Jehova/Elohim (same deity, lotsa nicknames). No Christ for us, thanks.

Then a bit after that a bunch of the original Jehova worshippers were like "You know who's totally unappreciated? Abraham's son Ishmael. Dude was fucking boss." the original Yaweh fans were all like "Man, Ishmael wasn't shit, Abraham's son Isaac is where it's at."

So they spit up the faith, the originalists and Isaac fans kept calling him Yaweh, the Ishmael fans started calling him Allah, and the Joshua fans went with "god" after saying Jehova was made illegal.

Then a loooooooooong time after that the Jehova's witnesses pop up and are all like "Fuck, let's just call him Jehova again."

The impression that I'm under is the Christianity is basically a bootleg of every religion that existed before it, and was modified to fit European values, not any one else's. so Jew God and Jesus, while the same on in many respects....Are NOT the same in all and therefore NOT Christian god.

• Like 1

The impression you're under is wrong. The deity of the abrahamic religions (Christianity, islam, Judaism) is the same guy. Thats just how it is, same holy books and everything. 

Christianity was heavily modified when the romans took it over, yes, but the god has been the same dude the whole time.

The being that created Adam and Steve is the same guy that told Abraham "kill me a son", is the same guy that flooded the earth and told Noah to build and ark, is the same guy that talked to Moses as a burning bush, is the same guy that sent Jesus down to get sent right back up, is the same guy that said "hey Muhammad, wassup?".

And in any case thats all not even directly on the topic of that deities name, which is YWH.

The jewish language doesn't have vowels and i, y, and j (w all over the place, l too) love switching places as languages develop, so the Christian god's name is Yaweh, Jehovah, elohim, allah...

Sure as fuck ain't Thor or Herra or Zues or Jupiter or any other European deity.

48 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

The impression you're under is wrong. The deity of the abrahamic religions (Christianity, islam, Judaism) is the same guy. Thats just how it is, same holy books and everything. 

Christianity was heavily modified when the romans took it over, yes, but the god has been the same dude the whole time.

The being that created Adam and Steve is the same guy that told Abraham "kill me a son", is the same guy that flooded the earth and told Noah to build and ark, is the same guy that talked to Moses as a burning bush, is the same guy that sent Jesus down to get sent right back up, is the same guy that said "hey Muhammad, wassup?".

Is he the same guy that told Hitler to genocide the Jewish people?

• Like 1

Hitler wasn't driven by religious motivation, so no.

“In Hitler’s eyes Christianity was a religion fit only for slaves,” wrote Alan Bullock “Hitler, A Study in Tyranny,” a seminal biography. “Its teaching, he declared, was a rebellion against the natural law of selection by struggle of the fittest.”

The fuck you mean cherry picking? Your argument is absurd. 

You're claiming that the god of the old testament is not the same god of the new testament, even though its factual that theyre one in the same, and your evidence is that the god of the new testament told hitler to kill the people who preferred to stick to the old testament, and that is a demonstrably false statement.

@1pooh4u please help me.

2 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

You're claiming that the god of the old testament is not the same god of the new testament, even though its factual that theyre one in the same, and your evidence is that the god of the new testament told hitler to kill the people who preferred to stick to the old testament, and that is a demonstrably false statement.

@1pooh4u please help me.

Wtaf...That's not at all what I said. And not at all what I'm asking.

• Like 1

Just now, cyberbully said:

Wtaf...That's not at all what I said. And not at all what I'm asking.

Then im sorry i heavily misunderstood the argument.

I think we both need to take a breath and clearly re-state our positions and questions.

I assert that the god of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are the same entity and its name throughout the centuries has been some variation of the original YWH, such as yaweh, jehova, elohim, and allah.

What is your question/assertion?

You just like to argue for the sake of arguing. I already agreed with you on the first few posts, then the went on to give me latin derivatives of Hebrew names of god.....which was fine.

But Judaism using that name doesn't mean Catholics, baptists, prodestants or whatever use those terms 

I'm not arguing if it's the same God with the the same son named Jesus....I'm asking does Christian god have a fucking name....then you do that sponges thing where there is less cheese or some shit and I like to argue too...so now we're arguing some weird shit and I don't fold.....

Also, tagging Pooh probably wasn't a good idea

Edited by cyberbully
  • Like 1

The Christian god has a name.

Its ywh or a derivative therof.

Question answered. 

And i tagged pooh because she's Jewish and can give firsthand knowledge that the god worshipped by the jewish people is the same god who is worshipped by the christian people, whose name is ywh or a derivative thereof.

Edited by SwimModSponges

Loving to argue is great, but when someone posts evidence that proves the point of their argument, and the response you throw out is 

20 hours ago, André Toulon said:

And I think sponges just broke his own argument

16 hours ago, BlackNoir said:

Not sure how they do but Christianity and Judaism do

52 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

Is he the same guy that told Hitler to genocide the Jewish people?

Like... what am i supposed to do with that?

1 hour ago, SwimModSponges said:

@1pooh4u please help me.

I can’t help you with the misunderstanding you’re having with Buddy. I can only offer that the Hebrew, Christian and Islamic Gds are all the same entity.  Same Gd revealing different prophets as the people moved further and further from its original message.  Or so the story goes. 

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

I can’t help you with the misunderstanding you’re having with Buddy. I can only offer that the Hebrew, Christian and Islamic Gds are all the same entity.  Same Gd revealing different prophets as the people moved further and further from its original message.  Or so the story goes. 

I was never arguing was he the same guy, but does he have a name...which I already told him I accepted his answer long ago....but sponges gotta soak and I spew like a spigot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1