UnevenEdge

NFL 2021-2022 Post Covid (but it’s still covid) Edition

1pooh4u

Look, the Rooney Rule is a total joke. I dont think anyone thinks that it was anything other than the NFL trying to cover their ass for continuing to run an Old Boys Club. I get the idea of the rule, but its not like it was ever going to change anything.  You cant force an NFL team to hire someone they dont want, and many times the GM already knows who they want to be the coach before they ever start the interview process. All the rule does is force teams to check a box before they can announce who they really want as a coach.

The NFL is the definition of an Old Boys Club where teams would rather run the same failed coaches over and over again than try something new. How else do you explain the constant retread of coaches?

A few teams have branched out and looked for newer coaches, but it continues to be a revolving door of the same old coaches just moving from team to team.

Edit: I should point out Im not discrediting his lawsuit at all. His description of Elway being totally hungover sounds freaking accurate. Just pointing out that the Rooney Rule is nothing more than a face saving act by the NFL.

Edited by Master-Debater131
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Just pointing out that the Rooney Rule is nothing more than a face saving act by the NFL.

yes. i know. 

*my point was that the 'good ole boys' are hiding behind this shit, and still trying to 'take great  personal exception to the allegations.'

Edited by discolé monade
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

yes. i know. 

*my point was that the 'good ole boys' are hiding behind this shit, and still trying to 'take great  personal exception to the allegations.'

Not going to hear me disagree with that.  The NFL has been doing this shit for a long time now, and I dont expect it to stop anytime soon.

Mayyyybeeee if Congress investigates Snyder that may scatter some of the cockroaches, but I doubt it goes far enough for that to happen.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

morning thoughts: why not play the 'pro~bowl' AFTER the super bowl?

I think they used to idk y they changed it. Maybe they thought the Super Bowl should be the exclamation point on the season. It’s better after cuz then people in post season will play instead of being scared to death that they could get hurt 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

I think they used to idk y they changed it. Maybe they thought the Super Bowl should be the exclamation point on the season. It’s better after cuz then people in post season will play instead of being scared to death that they could get hurt 

I think they changed it because no one was watching the Pro Bowl and they weren't making enough money on it.  Might have been the same reason they took it out of Hawaii.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I think they changed it because no one was watching the Pro Bowl and they weren't making enough money on it.  Might have been the same reason they took it out of Hawaii.

I definitely know they moved it from Hawaii for financial reasons. Funny considering I doubt the nfl ever really loses money 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

I definitely know they moved it from Hawaii for financial reasons. Funny considering I doubt the nfl ever really loses money 

It was not well received by the players at the time iirc.  I mean, they have even less of a reason to go now.  At least Hawaii is fun to visit.

• Like 1

It'd be cool if they introduced a completely different game for the Pro Bowl

Have them play a softball game, or at least flag football

I know none of them take it very serious, but who dafuq wants to make it all season without getting injured just to blow up in a game that literally no one cares about?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, discolé monade said:

i think hawaiians are sick of 'visitors'. tbh. 

What Scoob said. The state’s economy is almost exclusively tourism. From what I’ve read they’re more sick of tourists being disrespectful and not following covid rules, being disrespectful of native customs. They’re definitely sick of non native people buying up houses and moving permanently to the island. Raising home values, making paying taxes impossible.  Imagine buying a house for 50k and now 30 years later it’s valued at over a million. How does someone  pay taxes on that all of a sudden? 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

What Scoob said. The state’s economy is almost exclusively tourism. From what I’ve read they’re more sick of tourists being disrespectful and not following covid rules, being disrespectful of native customs. They’re definitely sick of non native people buying up houses and moving permanently to the island. Raising home values, making paying taxes impossible.  Imagine buying a house for 50k and now 30 years later it’s valued at over a million. How does someone  pay taxes on that all of a sudden? 

all of this. 

this has been an issue for a very long time, 

but covid put everything into a more crystal clear image of the problem. ^those people. 

They’ve taken some steps recently to address the first problem with a new initiative that encourages tourists to engage with locals. The second problem is one that’s shared by cities along the western seaboard and the answer cuts to the core of personal freedom.  Arguably,  Hawaii is best suited for a communal approach to property, and that’s what will likely have to happen.

Prime time scripted dramas probably do more to exacerbate the latter than the Pro Bowl ever did.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:33 AM, 1pooh4u said:

Why doesn’t it make sense? 

Because there is no way to play the game with non-contact.  All the other major sports discourage the high risk plays that might lead to injury, focus more on scoring.over defense.  Even hockey tones down the physicality.  But, there is no way to play football without tackling or playing an entirely different game.  I guess you could do a skills challenge instead of a game, but if no one watches the game, no one will watch a skills challenge either.

Edit:  Watching the Pro Bowl on Sunday only reinforced my opinion.  It was like watching a game of three flies up.

Edited by scoobdog

My logic for picking the Bengals comes down to "Mike Brown might be a known cheapskate, but that means he's never spent enough money to buy a Premier League team and turn them from a perennial PL Champions/Champions League contender to a perennial Europa League contender*"

*The Europa League is a level of competition lower than the Champions League** 

**Weird place to point out I'm a fan of Arsenal, I know

i do not understand what you said in the small text but go rams i guess. 

rodgers got the mvp and there are new hof getting in.

as much as i hate to say, i thought brady had a better year but i am not upset over it since i hate both players. wait rodgers is more dislike than hate. either way, we wont have to see those guys in the super bowl this year and thats a win for everyone. last game of the year then we wont have anything till september 😢

• Like 1

I plan on drinking and posting some dumb fuckin shit later. I can’t wait. I picked Rams but I’m rooting for the Bengals if that makes sense. I’m just happy I don’t have to see Brady’s smug fuckin face tonight or ever playing a snap again. 

the NFL lost two of it biggest assholes with the retirement of Bitch Brady and Rapey Rothlissberger. I hate that Rodgers is the MVP.  What happened to him being “silenced” and “canceled”?  He’s so cancelled that the NFL gave him the MVP and didn’t even consider not giving it to him for being a lying little fuck. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

I plan on drinking and posting some dumb fuckin shit later. I can’t wait. I picked Rams but I’m rooting for the Bengals if that makes sense. I’m just happy I don’t have to see Brady’s smug fuckin face tonight or ever playing a snap again. 

the NFL lost two of it biggest assholes with the retirement of Bitch Brady and Rapey Rothlissberger. I hate that Rodgers is the MVP.  What happened to him being “silenced” and “canceled”?  He’s so cancelled that the NFL gave him the MVP and didn’t even consider not giving it to him for being a lying little fuck. 

Careful Pooh

He could always come out of retirement and play for the Jets

• Haha 3

it was a good defensive game, but the refs ruined it. the 75 yard td should have been opi or a facemask but they held their whistles. then they blew their whistles to favor the rams at the end, it gifted the rams the extra set of downs when they were almost dead. i was only rooting for the rams to win the pick em league, but didn't really care who won. still the refs just take the enjoyment out of it. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

it was a good defensive game, but the refs ruined it. the 75 yard td should have been opi or a facemask but they held their whistles. then they blew their whistles to favor the rams at the end, it gifted the rams the extra set of downs when they were almost dead. i was only rooting for the rams to win the pick em league, but didn't really care who won. still the refs just take the enjoyment out of it. 

I thought they were just letting them play cuz I saw that face mask and a couple of other uncalled penalties, but then in that last few minutes it was all, “oh boy, here we go”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I thought they were just letting them play cuz I saw that face mask and a couple of other uncalled penalties, but then in that last few minutes it was all, “oh boy, here we go”

the one that stuck out most was the defensive holding call that which gifted the rams a first down. that one looked like one of those touch fouls that they call in the nba all the time. except calls like this have the biggest impact in the game. the other one looked like it was the correct call but it put the rams at the 1 yard line. the bungels 75 yard td one was still more blatant, but yes it looked like they were letting them play it. tho youd think face mask is something that gets called out all the time. 

• Like 2

There’s an old fucker nostalgia theme going on between the halftime and even the commercials. Salt n pepa the pet shop boys Arnold Schwarzenegger. It’s like a Gen X wet dream up in here 😆

I joked that Gen Xers are like “This some good shit,” and everyone else watching the show is like “What the fuck is this?”

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

So, like a Hollywood-type manufactured ending?

• Like 1