UnevenEdge

One Piece leaving Toonami. Tokyo Ghoul to replace it.

3ngag3

Can we finally admit that One Piece...isn't that good?

No, but we can all agree that as usual you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and are only left to grasp at straws after your arguments are summarily shot down.  "Less and less success" and "smaller and smaller audience"?  Do stop peddling pure bullshit.  Likewise, the link you provided offers no "proof" whatsoever, unless you're deluded enough to consider two or three people posting negatively about the show iron-clad proof of whatever point you're trying to make.

Seriously, you've been making terrible arguments for years now.  Give the shitposting a rest already and go do something constructive.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The proof is in the cancellation.

Look, a lot of properties get a niche audience here but aren't household names.  Asterix, Doctor Who, etc.  But hardcore One Piece fans always expected this to be the next Simpsons and that was never going to happen.

Yet again you demonstrate that you don't read a word of what's being said to you, and you're also admitting that the link served absolutely no purpose, so good job.

Let's try this again, and this time I'll use smaller words: no one outside of moose-level delusionals thought that OP would be more popular than the likes of DBZ, even if we wished it were the case.  But it is a basic fact that OP has had more success in the US than probably 95% of the titles that find their way over here.  And I don't really give a shit if that fact gnaws at your soul or anything, but to pretend it's not the case just makes you a fool.

I would hardly go that far.  It kept getting pushed because people thought it could be this ubiquitous iconic success.  It became successful to a degree, but never to the degree people wanted.  Otherwise companies wouldn't keep abandoning it.

Can we finally admit that One Piece...isn't that good?

It was first acquired as a tacked on requirement to another deal, Toei has tried to market it for years here with less and less success (see games going form physical releases to download only for one console).  It has been released over and over to a smaller and smaller audience.

The story is ham fisted, the pacing abysmal, the characters devlolved into utter caricatures at this point, the stories lacking depth and emotional resonance, and the art style has never appealed to the West.  It looks goofy and boring because it is.

That's why it sells DVDs for Funimation and is one of the most popular streaming anime, right?

Look I can accept the fact that One Piece really didn't catch on when Toonami aired it, but to say that the show is an entire failure in America is just plain ignorance on your part.  The facts speak against you.

I would hardly go that far.  It kept getting pushed because people thought it could be this ubiquitous iconic success.  It became successful to a degree, but never to the degree people wanted.  Otherwise companies wouldn't keep abandoning it.

No companies "kept abandoning" it.  The license was flat-out yanked from 4Kids because Toei wasn't satisfied with what they were doing with it, FUNi picked it up, and it's been happily making money for them ever since.  Likewise for Viz, otherwise neither of them would bother to keep putting out so much content.  Its initial removal from CN came at a time when the whole network was largely going to shit, so all you're really left with to hang your hat on is this lineup removal (after four straight years of broadcasting, lest we forget).

Again, tell me what other series have seen over 500 episodes dubbed and released on DVD.  Tell me what others series have 82 manga volumes released.  Tell me what other series are second- or third-most-watched on streaming services.  At this point you're just flat-out lying.

How popular people wanted One Piece to be is irrelevant but it's very popular for an anime. Let's observe Hulu's rankings for every show on the service. It's the 3rd most viewed anime regardless if it's ranked by today, this week, this month and all time. All-Time is the easiest to manage I would think but the fact that One Piece is still in the top 75 programs to this day and among the top 30 of all time speaks volumes doesn't it? Look at it's anime competition for comparison. Many shows that have come and gone on Toonami or been requested for the block. Others that are as close to household names as anime get here. How can anyone look at this and deny One Piece is heavily watched in America.

TODAY

Naruto Shippuden #27

Bleach #55

One Piece #69

Naruto #101

Yu-Gi-Oh #109

Fairy Tail #121

FMA Brotherhood #146

InuYasha #168

Gundam 00 #189 (recently added)

Pokemon #224

Gundam Wing #233

Yu-Gi-Oh GX #241

One-Punch Man #249

Sailor Moon #253

Tokyo Ghoul #279

Dragon Ball #280

High School DxD #288

Sword Art Online #312

Assassination Classroom #313

Ghost in the Shell: SAC #316

Hunter x Hunter #323

Log Horizon #339

Kenichi #348

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure #377

Blue Exorcist Kyoto Arc #380

Hitman Reborn #381

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds #385

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orpahns #394

My Hero Academia #395

Blue Exorcist #396

Death Note #406

Ranma 1/2 #409

Samurai Champloo #419

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan #421

Fruits Basket #425

Cowboy Bebop #429

Sonic X #430

Attack on Titan #433

Sailor Moon Crystla #436

Ouran High School Host Club #438

Crayon Shin Chan #444

Food Wars #449

Initial D #462

Seraph of the End #466

Gundam SEED #467

Trigun #483

Sword Art Online II #488

Noragami #497

Gundam: O8th MS Team #499

InuYasha: The Final Act #500

D.Gray-Man #503

Yu-Gi-Oh ZeXal #505

Digimon #517

Akame ga Kill #522

Dragon Ball GT #524

Toriko #528

Parasyte #533

Haikyuu!! #542

Black Lagoon #544

Is it Wrong to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon #546

Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals #550

THIS WEEK

Naruto Shippuden #24

Bleach #63

One Piece #74

Yu-Gi-Oh #113

Naruto #119

Fairy Tail #127

FMA Brotherhood #152

InuYasha #172

Gundam 00 #189

Pokemon #223

Gundam Wing #231

Yu-Gi-Oh GX #247

One-Punch Man #256

Sailor Moon #263

Dragon Ball #280

Tokyo Ghoul #287

High School DxD #293

Sword Art Online #316

Assassination Classroom #318

Ghost in the Shell: SAC #326

Hunter x Hunter #328

Log Horizon #333

Kenichi #346

Blue Exorcist Kyoto Arc #351

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure #380

Hitman Reborn #381

Blue Exorcist #391

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds #393

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans #400

My Hero Academia #408

Death Note #416

Sonic X #422

Ranma 1/2 #425

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan #429

Fruits Basket #430

Attack on Titan #433

Samurai Champloo #439

Sailor Moon Crystal #445

Cowboy Bebop #446

Crayon Shin Chan #448

Ouran High School Host Club #449

Food Wars #463

Seraph of the End #475

Initial D #490

Gundam: 08th MS Team #497

Trigun #500

InuYasha: The Final Act #503

Sword Art Online II #504

Gundam SEED #505

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZeXal #516

Noragami #521

Akame ga Kill #525

D.Gray-Man #531

Digimon #544

Toriko #546

Parasyte #548

Dragon Ball GT #550

THIS MONTH

Naruto Shippuden #22

Bleach #59

One Piece #63

Yu-Gi-Oh #98

Naruto #110

Fairy Tail #131

FMA Brotherhood #145

InuYasha #191

Pokemon #132

Gundam 00 #146

Yu-Gi-Oh GX #154

One-Punch Man #181

Sailor Moon #191

Gundam Wing #195

Tokyo Ghoul #198

Dragon Ball #205

High School DxD #215

Assassination Classroom #253

Sword Art Online #254

Log Horizon #255

Kenichi #270

Ghost in the Shell: SAC #272

Blue Exorcist Kyoto Arc #288

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure #302

Hunter x Hunter #304

Hitman Reborn #312

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds #316

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans #321

Blue Exorcist #325

Death Note #333

Sonic X #339

Ranma 1/2 #342

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan #352

Attack on Titan #355

Fruits Basket #358

Cowboy Bebop #361

Samurai Champloo #365

Food Wars #368

Sailor Moon Crystal #373

My Hero Academia #376

Ouran High School Host Club #380

Crayon Shin Chan #385

Initial D #400

Serpah of the End #413

Trigun #414

InuYasha: The Final Act #422

Sword Art Online II #431

Akame ga Kill #433

Noragami #434

D.Gray-Man #442

Yu-Gi-Oh ZeXal #449

Digimon #452

Toriko #453

Dragon Ball GT #455

Gundam: O8th MS Team #456

Parasyte #460

Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals #470

Black Lagoon #474

Haikyu!! #475

Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? #493

Gundam SEED #494

K #496

Kamisama Kiss #505

Soul Eater #508

Claymore #518

Zatch Bell #519

Blood Lad #520

GATE #530

Digimon Tamers #531

Maid Sama #532

Kimi ni Todoke #536

The Irregular at Magic High School #550

ALL TIME

Naruto Shippuden #6

Bleach #25

One Piece #27

Naruto #41

Yu-Gi-Oh #51

Fairy Tail #60

InuYasha #113

Pokemon #124

Yu-Gi-Oh GX #129

One-Punch Man #191

FMA Brotherhood #198

Tokyo Ghoul #208

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds #210

Sailor Moon #214

Dragon Ball #218

Sword Art Online #225

Death Note #237

Attack on Titan #249

Hitman Reborn #254

Soul Eater #260

Sonic X #279

Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan #286

Assassination Classroom #303

Sword Art Online II #305

Fruits Basket #331

Yu-Gi-Oh ZeXal #333

Kenichi #335

Blue Exorcist #337

InuYasha: The Final Act #338

High School DxD #341

Toriko #344

Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X #355

Sailor Moon Crystal #366

Crayon Shin Chan #370

Log Horizon #411

Vampire Knight #421

D.Gray-Man #433

Ouran High School Host Club #435

Digimon #437

K #439

Guilty Crown #449

Parasyte #463

Seraph of the End #467

Akame ga Kill #470

Pokemon: Origins #478

Kamisama Kiss #479

Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals #511

Ranma 1/2 #516

Trigun #520

Future Diary #527

Samurai Champloo #534

Cowboy Bebop #545

Infinite Stratos #547

Initial D #550

I realize the fact that One Piece has nearly 800 episodes plays well into it's favor with rankings but if people were not watching it then it wouldn't still be the 3rd highest viewed anime on Hulu right? It would only rank well for all time rankings rather than maintain it's position as the 3rd most watched anime on Hulu any given day. Look how far Attack on Titan has dropped since 2013.

It should be noted DBZ isn't on Hulu anymore but when it was somewhere behind OG Naruto and or Yu-Gi-Oh for the most part and didn't come close to touching Bleach and One Piece much less Shippuden.

I thought Tokyo Ghoul was very old but it turns out it's not THAT old. It's a 2014-2015 series and its dub has only been out for less than 2 years, probably produced in 2015, which is similar to its lead-in JoJo. However, that's only for the first 5 weeks, as then JoJo either gets replaced by something else or its dub is a 2014 dub for 3 episodes (or I suppose a completely different dub from the test dub is an option, but since that test dub was done by Bang-Zoom, why?)

That's well and good but it still sucks for Hunter x Hunter since it's a dub premiere!

I thought Tokyo Ghoul was very old but it turns out it's not THAT old. It's a 2014-2015 series and its dub has only been out for less than 2 years, probably produced in 2015, which is similar to its lead-in JoJo. However, that's only for the first 5 weeks, as then JoJo either gets replaced by something else or its dub is a 2014 dub for 3 episodes (or I suppose a completely different dub from the test dub is an option, but since that test dub was done by Bang-Zoom, why?)

That's well and good but it still sucks for Hunter x Hunter since it's a dub premiere!

A bit of an update. It appears they changed their minds and they WILL NOT move HXH from its timeslot, but move Gundam UNICORN to 2 AM instead.  Don't quote me on that though, I so far only heard this from one source.

A bit of an update. It appears they changed their minds and they WILL NOT move HXH from its timeslot, but move Gundam UNICORN to 2 AM instead.  Don't quote me on that though, I so far only heard this from one source.

Well they better decide what the hell they're going to do soon because this sort of thing wreaks havoc on DVRs! Remember when One Piece and Soul Eater flip-flopped in 2013? I believe the same happened of One Piece and Gurren Lagann! I guess we really won't know for sure until Pre-Flight tomorrow; I just hope on-screen guides can keep up with what changes, whatever it is.

i doubt toonami gives a crap at this point  people are gonna watch no matter what the schedule is

the removal of one piece was dropped on them out of the blue so i honestly doubt they've been thinking that hard about what they are gonna do about the schedule

probably don't have time to when it comes to thinking about the future of the block and how can you win over the fans of one piece who now feel betrayed because The Nielsen Boxes deemed one piece too risky and not enough of a profit

Tokyo Ghoul isn't gonna win anyone over unless they just like Edgy Emo Stuff

Well they better decide what the hell they're going to do soon because this sort of thing wreaks havoc on DVRs! Remember when One Piece and Soul Eater flip-flopped in 2013? I believe the same happened of One Piece and Gurren Lagann! I guess we really won't know for sure until Pre-Flight tomorrow; I just hope on-screen guides can keep up with what changes, whatever it is.

Just keep monitoring the toonami site on adult swim .com . Their schedule is always up to date.

I Can't wait for everyone to shit post about tokyo ghoul and for it's ratings to be in the dumpster

They won't be. It will be the next Parasyte, with the only difference being that those ratings will actually look GOOD for 1 AM against the dumpster-ratings we've been seeing lately from Gundam shows!

Parasyte looked like crap when compared to SAO II and Michiko & Hatchin at first in 2015, but then got quite a bit better. Tokyo Ghoul will probably blow Gundam Unicorn's average of 758K out of the water, and might even beat Gundam IBO's 882K average in that timeslot. But beating the likes of SAO II (991K at 1 AM); Michiko & Hatchin (1102K at 1 AM), and Parasyte (1048K, only aired at 1 AM) might be a tall order.

Don't get me wrong; I like the Gundam shows. Of course I do! But I can't deny that they haven't really been that great for ratings.

i just never got into naruto as much as one piece because a lot of the characters seemed rather dull or in Sasuke's case annoying as all shit(Oh Look at me I'm The Goddamn Emo Anime Batman!)

i liked one piece ending off the night of premieres because it was an action/comedy show  it wasn't over the top "Edge Lord" Serious and so it was easy to wind down with the show

however while there is some comedy in naruto it's few and far between compared to one piece and a lot of the time is way too freaking serious for something You'll be seeing before you head to bed

aw,  :( but it'll be fun to give TG the MST3k treatment

No, man. I DO NOT know anything about the manga or the show, so people will just spoil everything and complain about every problem and I'll be like "guys I DO NOT know what's going to happen! I  don't know what this moment is supposed to mean until I watch the show!" and I can't do anything about it.

No, man. I DO NOT know anything about the manga or the show, so people will just spoil everything and complain about every problem and I'll be like "guys I DO NOT know what's going to happen! I  don't know what this moment is supposed to mean until I watch the show!" and I can't do anything about it.

So you and me are in the same boat

So you and me are in the same boat

so I'm watching a rundown of everything wrong with Tokyo Ghoul,

from the clips alone, I can safely say

"Oh my god this really is going to be just as bad as Akame ga Kill (except without Bulaut to make it tolerable)"

I don't wanna spoil the show for anyone so I'm not going to link it but holy crap this looks bad xD

PLEASE GET DRUNK AND WATCH IT WITH ME NEXT SATURDAY!! >:D

"Oh my god this really is going to be just as bad as Akame ga Kill (except without Bulaut to make it tolerable)"

I don't wanna spoil the show for anyone so I'm not going to link it but holy crap this looks bad xD

Akame was way better than TG. It's not even a contest.

Well when the dub came out, I kept seeing a ton of cosplay at cons, so it must've done SOMETHING right.

To be fair, it is nothing but angsty emo edgelord trash, think Sasuke x 10^100000000, hence the cosplay popularity.

Yeah, and it's on Toonami and One Piece isn't.

Also Akame, but Akame was just...all over the damn place.  I think that's why we called it "Anime: The Anime."

To be fair, it is nothing but angsty emo edgelord trash, think Sasuke x 10^100000000, hence the cosplay popularity.

based on the video I watched

it's Twilight but Edward and Bella's genders have been switched and they call vampires "ghouls"

Yeah, and it's on Toonami and One Piece isn't.

Also Akame, but Akame was just...all over the damn place.  I think that's why we called it "Anime: The Anime."

yeah, Akame was probably the most generic and clichee'd edgelord anime ever made

it used almost nothing bit clichee'd tropes exactly down to the last clichee'd detail, it truly was "Anime: the anime"

Also the MC is a chronic whiner like the MC from Deadman Wonderland.

there's a point where he gets hit and (in the dub) makes an actual female sounding whimper of pain for a second, even more feminine sounding than Jack Spicer's famous girly screams in Xiaolin Showdown

hopefully one piece returns...i think deep down inside it won't

but it's already died twice before and come back to american television so no reason it won't return again...is a theory some fans seem to have

and it does make sense  at some point we'll lose HXH  Jojo Or Naruto And We'll need A Long Runner to really keep that spot locked down

Don't want the network becoming The DB Super Block

hell maybe it'll return when DBZ Kai Wraps up....the return is more likely than i originally since there aren't a lot of popular modern long running animes and one piece is already beloved by many of the toonami crew so if there's some way for them to bring it back in the not too distant future i can see them taking it and doing whatever adjustments need to be made to ensure another failure won't happen

It was a quote from DeMarco's Twitter.  Ben just quoted the info and didn't type anything outside of the quotebox, so when I quote the post it looks like nothing.  This is what should be in the quotebox:

"That's not why. Tokyo Ghoul will be airing at a different time than OP did. Short answer:ratings."

Yes, that.  The quote system on this forum is fucktarded.

I don't think anybody's going to be spoiling anything.

It's better, but still sucks. I'm just really glad I've got On Demand now, as the block isn't just worth staying up for me anymore with a couple shows in there I don't want to see between the ones I do.

It's getting rough for me.  Only shows I like on the block are the Dragonballs, Jack, GitS, and JoJo.  It used to be I liked just about all the shows airing.  Now it's a chore to get through Unicorn, which is difficult to follow and has the typical ham-fisted preaching and annoying whiny crybaby characters found in Gundam, Naruto which has sucked for so long and will only continue in its downward shit spiral, and Hiatus which was so boring and nonsensical, wrung every last ounce of caring I had about the characters, and was never getting to "the good part", it was so bad I had to break my own self-imposed ironclad completionist rule of watching everything on the block and drop it.  Now I don't have One Piece to look forward to and we're getting Edgelord the Anime in its place. *SIGH*