UnevenEdge

One Piece leaving Toonami. Tokyo Ghoul to replace it.

3ngag3

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not mad at Toonami. They tried their best.

No.  IM MAD AT THIS GODDAMN COUNTRY.

Blessed be God; Blessed be His Holy Name, and watch out; you just might have me blaming Trump for this!

But I should have known this was coming when Gundam IBO somehow got the October 29th marathon instead of Thriller Bark. That was a dead giveaway that Season 6 was the end, and I didn't think anything of it.

I'm mad at toonami because they actually were expecting blockbuster ratings from a 1:30 AM Time slot apparently....

that time slot destroyed one piece and It'll never be on tv again in America at this rate it's already died too many times

You mean the DUB won't be on TV in America.

There is a channel on US TV that airs Japanese raws!  :D

I wonder if they'll flush Shitpudd'n after the Pain arc?

Or maybe replace it with BORUTO?

The real issue is that Toonami needs more girl power. Sailor Moon Crystal replacing JoJo, Viz?

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure we'll still see Stardust Crusaders--just not yet.

And I don't want SMC, I want Lupin III, but I'll admit a male-oriented Toonami just isn't doing as well as the mixed-gender lineup we had in Spring and Summer 2015!

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT MAN.

And the worst thing about it is that no one will console me during my time of grief and I'll now have to deal with assholes throwing shit at me about OP being a overwhelming failure .

Fuck man. I... I... I really need some good OP news right now. Or... just anything.

I wonder if they'll flush Shitpudd'n after the Pain arc?

Or maybe replace it with BORUTO?

The real issue is that Toonami needs more girl power. Sailor Moon Crystal replacing JoJo, Viz?

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure we'll still see Stardust Crusaders--just not yet.

And I don't want SMC, I want Lupin III, but I'll admit a male-oriented Toonami just isn't doing as well as the mixed-gender lineup we had in Spring and Summer 2015!

Girl power... so Madoka? Railgun? Ya know... popular stuff? If you play popular stuff you'll get viewers.

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT MAN.

And the worst thing about it is that no one will console me during my time of grief and I'll now have to deal with assholes throwing shit at me about OP being a overwhelming failure .

Fuck man. I... I... I really need some good OP news right now. Or... just anything.

this makes no fucking sense.....Why is it that ratings only come into play when it concerns one piece?

No it's not fucking funny.

None of this is fucking funny.

One Piece was just canceled. My favorite show was just canceled.

And I'm just supposed to laugh at that?

Fuck me, right? Fuck what I want. Fuck the shows I like. Who gives a shit, right?

See it's already fucking happening. I feel like absolute SHIT right now, but all people want to do is mock me and mock that OP was cancelled.

This will be how it will be for the rest of the time now.

Jman will continue to drive this into my face for the rest of my life.

Why the fuck is this fucking happening?!!??

No it's not fucking funny.

None of this is fucking funny.

One Piece was just canceled. My favorite show was just canceled.

And I'm just supposed to laugh at that?

Fuck me, right? Fuck what I want. Fuck the shows I like. Who gives a shit, right?

See it's already fucking happening. I feel like absolute SHIT right now, but all people want to do is mock me and mock that OP was cancelled.

This will be how it will be for the rest of the time now.

Jman will continue to drive this into my face for the rest of my life.

Why the fuck is this fucking happening?!!??

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1

maybe you can decipher some of his tweets and try to find the reason for it...but the popular theory is "Low Ratings"  that's all anyone can come up with

I love One Piece.  I like Tokyo Ghoul though.

but - you know, OP goes on and on and there's nothing to keep it from popping back up.

my guess is contractually speaking, it was just time to switch it out.  The same thing will happen to Naruto and DBZ eventually.  It had a good long run and it's essentially omnipresent on the anime landscape such that it cold always come back at some point.  I mean, I don't think Toonami and OP are parting on bad terms or anything like that.

So - I'm sad that OP is going away, but I actually prefer a Toonami block that's not quite so static as it has become (inundated with long-runners and shrunk at the same time).  I like a block that cycles.  I like "new" stuff coming around. 

Clearly, OP is much beloved by staff and fans alike.  So you never know.  I would suggest that, were the block to expand again or pick up another night or something, OP is a perfect choice to jump into such a void.  With new eps still being produced, it could come back at any time you never know.

Weekends would work with me but also if it really came down to it there are certain days during the week that could work on my end as well

If what I remember about the rabbit website is correct then using that would mean we'd all be watching it at the same but without having to worry about everyone hitting the play button for the episode at the exact same time

AnimationFan14[/member] looks like our conversation will get lost in all this rage, certain days in the week might work for me too we can discuss this more as march 25 hits

While I could be a whiny brat and rub this in Moose's face like he keeps calling me out to do, let's be pragmatic.

One Piece has been on the block for years.  It has failed consistently to get ratings.  It has failed to grow an audience. 

It has failed to be a thing in the USA.

And after years of that, maybe it's time for a new approach.

But all those series ENDED. They had no more episodes to air!

One Piece has plenty! This is just another slap to OP's standing in the US.

And I hate that with every goddamn fucking fiber of my being.

so what would you tell the toonami crew and Demarco then if you were in front of them now?

While I could be a whiny brat and rub this in Moose's face like he keeps calling me out to do, let's be pragmatic.

One Piece has been on the block for years.  It has failed consistently to get ratings.  It has failed to grow an audience. 

It has failed to be a thing in the USA.

And after years of that, maybe it's time for a new approach.

That's not fuckng making me feel better Jman.

Fuck man. Fuck fuck FUUUUUUUUCK.

So my question for the ratings experts is.... were the ratings actually low for the timeslot?  What is your consensus SIRS?

my guess is they have only so much space, and they're managing contracts and obligations and OP's time was just up.  my guess is, if it was pulling in the mils every week, they might make a more concerted effort to keep it.  But the ratings data suggests that the show was also not low rated enough particularly to axe.

but these things aren't entirely up to Toonami anyway.  There are licenses, contracts, deals, advertisers, etc etc etc.

So ratings are a big deal, because they help with ad rates etc, but - generally speaking they aren't the only factor, nor sometimes are they even the overriding factor. 

My guess is - ratings were good enough on OP to keep it around.  But they had other deals in place, and the ability to cycle OP out, so they did that. 

Ratings are probably a factor.  But - OP's ratings weren't low enough to yank it and scramble for a replacement.  So - in the technical sense I would say no - it wasn't a thing where they're like "OP ratings are low, so we will cancel it and replace it with Tokyo Ghoul".  But rather - we have Tokyo Ghoul, that has to air within x amount of time, and this contract and that contract, we have OP that - either the contract was up, or it's flexible enough they can pull that show or whatever.  So that's the move they made.

If OP had been pulling in the mils consistently or something along those lines, they possibly could have looked for another solution.  But I think it's more about what they have to do by when to honor contracts, and what they can/are able to do with the licenses they have to make space.

AnimationFan14[/member] looks like our conversation will get lost in all this rage, certain days in the week might work for me too we can discuss this more as march 25 hits

How about March 20th? I was thinking one episode every weekday for Season 7, then take a break before starting Season 8.

That will give everyone Saturdays and Sundays to catch up, and there will also be a break between FUNimation's seasons.

Season 7 ends with Episode 456 and begins with 385. Doing the math, 456-384=72, or 14 weeks and change. That means we begin S7 with 385 on March 20, and end with Episode 456 around the 4th of July.

StarPanda[/member] Yeah we have a bit of time to discuss all of this in more detail and get a plan with everyone else setup for whatever day(s) we decide to do this on.

We can also discuss this more later over some PMs

my guess is they have only so much space, and they're managing contracts and obligations and OP's time was just up.  my guess is, if it was pulling in the mils every week, they might make a more concerted effort to keep it.  But the ratings data suggests that the show was also not low rated enough particularly to axe.

but these things aren't entirely up to Toonami anyway.  There are licenses, contracts, deals, advertisers, etc etc etc.

So ratings are a big deal, because they help with ad rates etc, but - generally speaking they aren't the only factor, nor sometimes are they even the overriding factor. 

My guess is - ratings were good enough on OP to keep it around.  But they had other deals in place, and the ability to cycle OP out, so they did that. 

Ratings are probably a factor.  But - OP's ratings weren't low enough to yank it and scramble for a replacement.  So - in the technical sense I would say no - it wasn't a thing where they're like "OP ratings are low, so we will cancel it and replace it with Tokyo Ghoul".  But rather - we have Tokyo Ghoul, that has to air within x amount of time, and this contract and that contract, we have OP that - either the contract was up, or it's flexible enough they can pull that show or whatever.  So that's the move they made.

If OP had been pulling in the mils consistently or something along those lines, they possibly could have looked for another solution.  But I think it's more about what they have to do by when to honor contracts, and what they can/are able to do with the licenses they have to make space.

regardless of if it was low enough to do so....they still axed it and it isn't coming back

regardless of if it was low enough to do so....they still axed it and it isn't coming back

Well, at least not anytime soon and not at the point in the story where it left off. If it DOES come back it will be just like before and skip a whole bunch of episodes.

I'm not really sure if FUNimation even does simuldubs for One Piece, but I THOUGHT they did. If Toonami were to pick up where FUNi started that, we might be in better shape.

It might not be back for awhile but who's to really say it will be gone from Toonami forever

I mean there were those who thought it would never return to Toonami in the first place

I'm pretty sure this was the last straw (hat).

If it can't even be worth keeping at 2:30am, where it doesn't need to preform pretty much at all, there's there's like zero chances for them to bring back a show no one cares about.

This hurts me to type it. THIS FUCKING HURTS ME.

Here's Nami's boobs.

tumblr_mkau1kFHJw1rmnaw8o1_500.gif

Whelp, time to skip ahead to the next time Ace shows up and try to masturbate around the brutal fights.

Seriously, like...stop this shit man. This is fucking serious. This tells me no one in this shit-hole of a nation likes One Piece. That fact fucking kills me inside.

It might not be back for awhile but who's to really say it will be gone from Toonami forever

I mean there were those who thought it would never return to Toonami in the first place

Yeah, for example I could see them start One Piece anew after DBZ Kai FC ends from the Winter 2015 Simuldub's first episode, which isn't available on FUNimation NOW, or I don't know how to get to it.

But as for our continued watch, I think it should begin on March 20th and be 4 episodes a week (Monday-Thursday) for 18 weeks. Is that decent?

I'm glad One Piece is leaving.  Good riddance.  I hate these never-ending shows.  If they could just get rid of Naruto and Hunter X Hunter, that'd be awesome too.  With the exception of Dragon Ball, Toonami should restrict itself to shows that are concise enough to have a beginning, middle, and end.  12-13 episode series minimum, no more than 50ish maximum.  With a scant few exceptions, I hate shows that go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on etc,. just because it's popular, not because the story still makes cohesive sense.  The IPs I love the most (whether anime, TV show, movie, book, comic, video game, etc.) are the ones that have a specific story to tell and follow through with that and don't fall to the temptation of endless filler arcs simply due to ratings.

Yeah, for example I could see them start One Piece anew after DBZ Kai FC ends from the Winter 2015 Simuldub's first episode, which isn't available on FUNimation NOW, or I don't know how to get to it.

But as for our continued watch, I think it should begin on March 20th and be 4 episodes a week (Monday-Thursday) for 18 weeks. Is that decent?

if that was the case then that would be overly dramatic of them to make A "Well Goodbye One Piece We'll Miss Ya!" If  It'll be back ater DBZ Kai FC Ends