UnevenEdge

One Piece leaving Toonami. Tokyo Ghoul to replace it.

3ngag3

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are definitely gonna have to discuss all these details plus any others that may poke up with each person interested

Is the rabbit website the site we everyone joins into a chatroom under whatever video is selected to play which means that once the episode starts playing everyone would be at the exact same spot in show while watching

Yes this is correct. Think tinychat when someone would play a youtube video but with rabbit you can play Netflix or funimation or any site really.

Why does everything I always happen when I'm away?

So, One Piece gets cancelled and is going to replaced by edgelord nonsense like Tokyo Ghoul which manga fans say bastardizes the source material?  And we have to continue to sit through the torture of Shittuden?!  Oh, and the boring and nonsensical Hiatus will continue to squander 30 precious minutes of Toonami each week unabated.

I guess I really have no choice but to watch it on my own now. T_T

If you are talking about watching One Piece on your own Ben then a few of us are thinking about making some sort of continuation after it leaves the block.

I see.  That sounds better than watching it by myself.  Let me know what you guys come up with.

Why does everything I always happen when I'm away?

So, One Piece gets cancelled and is going to replaced by edgelord nonsense like Tokyo Ghoul which manga fans say bastardizes the source material?  And we have to continue to sit through the torture of Shittuden?!  Oh, and the boring and nonsensical Hiatus will continue to squander 30 precious minutes of Toonami each week unabated.

Hey, you forgot the most important part: Moose is gone forever!

but you gotta admit if that's all we gotta look forward to each week then that's depressing......

JoJo or one piece usually wins the best episode of the night for me and without those two i feel like I'm gonna get bored a lot easier

Samurai Jack will help but once it's final season concludes I'm gonna be desperately hioping for a top tier badass show that can replace One Piece in the Toonami Top Tier Totem Pole

My money's on a speedy dub (like 2 months later) of AOT S2!

So you guys are telling me Disney is picking up One Piece awesome  :D

If that's what happens, I would actually be OK with it. They didn't screw up Shippuden too bad. The Hidan/Kakuzu arc was still pretty brutal to be relegated to 11 PM Saturday nights...

...which is prime real estate for Toonami but ironically crap for Disney xD!

Actually though, Samurai Jack's biggest win might be rerunning in American Horror Story's timeslot (or half of it) on Wednesday nights!

I see.  That sounds better than watching it by myself.  Let me know what you guys come up with.

A couple of us had bounced around a few ideas and Owlcheimest81 had one idea in particular that he came up with, but we still have details to iron out all around. No plan in particular at this second has been officially chosen by everyone but we can keep you in the loop

Yes this is correct. Think tinychat when someone would play a youtube video but with rabbit you can play Netflix or funimation or any site really.

Then the rabbit site doesn't sound like a bad tool at all to use for this One Piece continuation, I had originally wanted to try it out for that Cowboy Bebop rewatch on the old ASMB but it didn't end up getting used. 

they got tokyo ghoul long after it stopped being relevant so i wouldn't say that's A Top Tier Choice(especially since feedback on it's second season is super negative among it's fans)

it's just Edge Lord The Anime

They got Gurren Lagaan and Soul Eater long after they stopped being revelant, and those got good ratings.

seeming like Toei And Funimation pulled the plug on Toonami Having One Piece since Demarco said it was out of their control....

More like The Powers That Be at Adult Swim.  Toonami staff can go to bat for One Piece to a certain extent, but there's only so much the network will tolerate before they are forced do what has to be done.

I admit my interest in the block is held high about HALF the time currently.  I like DBZ, HxH and One Piece, but I cannot follow Jojo due to its rapid pace, I can't get into Gundam Unicorn because of the massive continuity lockout, and Naruto should be gotten rid of! 

But again those are just MY opinions.  Someone else could love every single thing they air right now.

Dude, JoJo is the best!  Besides, if you could follow KLK's pacing you should be able to follow that.  Trust me, Gundam Unicorn wouldn't be any easier to follow if you had any background on the franchise.  Only time the show makes any sense are during the recaps.  Plus Banagher is the worst.  I finally had to drop Hiatus a while back because it just wasn't getting any better for me.  The show squeezed out every ounce of caring I had about any of those characters.

So, I like Dragonball, JoJo, Gundam has cool battles and looks pretty but it's difficult to follow and the main character is annoying, Hiatus I don't watch, Naruto is torture I continue to watch for the train wreck aspect just to see if it gets as bad as everyone claims (it hasn't disappointed so far, lol).  I love GitS.  One Piece was one of the shows you could always count on to have a good episode if other shows underwhelmed, and especially helps you get over the pain of Naruto.  Just a good way to end the night.  To replace that with edgelord nonsense on par with Akame Ga Kill... bleh.

I definitely don't enjoy nearly all of the block as I had in the past and replacing One Piece with Tokyo Ghoul certainly won't help that.

Dude, JoJo is the best!  Besides, if you could follow KLK's pacing you should be able to follow that.  Trust me, Gundam Unicorn wouldn't be any easier to follow if you had any background on the franchise.  Only time the show makes any sense are during the recaps.  Plus Banagher is the worst.  I finally had to drop Hiatus a while back because it just wasn't getting any better for me.  The show squeezed out every ounce of caring I had about any of those characters.

So, I like Dragonball, JoJo, Gundam has cool battles and looks pretty but it's difficult to follow and the main character is annoying, Hiatus I don't watch, Naruto is torture I continue to watch for the train wreck aspect just to see if it gets as bad as everyone claims (it hasn't disappointed so far, lol).  I love GitS.  One Piece was one of the shows you could always count on to have a good episode if other shows underwhelmed, and especially helps you get over the pain of Naruto.  Just a good way to end the night.  To replace that with edgelord nonsense on par with Akame Ga Kill... bleh.

I definitely don't enjoy nearly all of the block as I had in the past and replacing One Piece with Tokyo Ghoul certainly won't help that.

i just feel my interest taking a hit with the departure of one piece

At least one thing is clear from tonight: the Toonami crew didn't get much notice on this.  I sincerely doubt they would have bothered cutting a new lineup promo featuring OP if they knew it would be leaving in a few weeks.  The DVR listing for tonight's episode was even subtitled with "Sabaody Archipelago" already.

At least one thing is clear from tonight: the Toonami crew didn't get much notice on this.  I sincerely doubt they would have bothered cutting a new lineup promo featuring OP if they knew it would be leaving in a few weeks.  The DVR listing for tonight's episode was even subtitled with "Sabaody Archipelago" already.

They got blindsided just like the rest of us.  T__T

Also the way One Piece would keep having subtitles added and removed was not DVR-friendly.

adult swim higher ups must have really been pissed

And yet again, CaptainStarwind is late to the party.  27 full pages late, in fact...  I take a two day trip to Philadelphia and the big news happens.  Before I get into my thoughts on it, I'd like to say that after some debate, the age old question of which place has a better cheesesteak (Pat's or Geno's) has been answered, and the answer is clearly Pat's.  They're still both too fucking expensive, but I've come to expect this out of tourist trap food places.

Okay, so One Piece is finished on Toonami.  I have to say, I did not see this coming at all.  While I am definitely saddened by this decision, given that One Piece has been a Toonami staple for such a long time, I can't really say that the decision was a bad one to make.  We all knew that One Piece couldn't stay on the block forever.  No show can, even the ones that I think should (Inuyasha).  I think what got to most people was how little of the show we actually got through.  We only did get through two arcs on Toonami (Enies Lobby and Thriller Bark), which really isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things.  Regardless of that, though, One Piece has been on Toonami for nearly four years.  I think that four years on the revived Toonami was a generous enough time for One Piece, even if it feels like we didn't get through all that much.  There's also the matter of the amount of long runners on the block: I've made no secret of the fact that I thought there were far too many long running shows on the block.  Between DBS, DBZ Kai, Shippuden, HxH, and One Piece, we had effectively most of the block locked up for a time.  One of the remedies I suggested was removing One Piece and Shippuden.  Well, One Piece is gone.  Unfortunately, they didn't get rid of Shippuden with it, but at least this will free up another slot for shows to rotate through. 

Now, for WHY One Piece is being removed.  The obvious answer here would be ratings, but can we really say that?  I mean think about it: One Piece aired at 1:30 in the morning.  What kind of ratings is Adult Swim expecting for a slot like that?  They can't be that high; if they were, One Piece would have been taken off a while ago.  Besides, the retention rate One Piece had was just about as good as the rest of the block's shows, so I doubt that's it.  One Piece has been getting beat lately by the last show on the block, so maybe that?  But, again, that's happened before, and One Piece survived that.  Does Funimation have something to do with it?  Perhaps they raised the price per episode above something [as] was willing to pay.  Or perhaps DeMarco just got tired of One Piece being on Toonami.  Hopefully we'll find out for certain.

Finally... Tokyo.  FUCKING. Ghoul.  I've heard this is Edge Lord the Anime.  I hope not to be disappointed.

Demarco seemed a little annoyed by this whole ordeal as him and several crew mates are One Piece fans

this happened all because adult swim finally got sick of one piece's ratings and put their foot down

no other explanation

Yeah, there's really no need to overthink this.

Yeah, there's really no need to overthink this.

but really the more we think about this....even my mom agrees

the fuck kind of ratings were they expecting at 1:30 AM?!  few shows can come up with even decent ratings at that time

so the more time goes on  the more the ratings excuse seems a bit too weak...(Plus since a lot of people DVR their shows i think Nielsen Ratings are far too outdated in this new digital age)

but really the more we think about this....even my mom agrees

the fuck kind of ratings were they expecting at 1:30 AM?!  few shows can come up with even decent ratings at that time

so the more time goes on  the more the ratings excuse seems a bit too weak...(Plus since a lot of people DVR their shows i think Nielsen Ratings are far too outdated in this new digital age)

Supposedly some info is gained from cable boxes as well and not just Nielsen ratings or so I have heard.  And DVR viewings help too.

You are right though that they couldn't have expected too much for where it aired.  But maybe the ratings were too bad for even that slot?  We can argue that other networks air encores, rerun timefillers, or infomercials, but Adult Swim is a late night network, so maybe a slot like that is more important to them.  I mean, Adult Swim actually airs lesser shows and reruns during prime time because they can't compete and then ramp up with their big shows later on.

Interesting, though kinda weird since I don't feel like the ratings have changed much for it.

Could also see Toei raising the price. They've made plenty of bizarre decisions that used to effect the streaming of the show and they're lazy as hell and would love more money for the same product.

There's also the matter of the amount of long runners on the block: I've made no secret of the fact that I thought there were far too many long running shows on the block.  Between DBS, DBZ Kai, Shippuden, HxH, and One Piece, we had effectively most of the block locked up for a time.  One of the remedies I suggested was removing One Piece and Shippuden.  Well, One Piece is gone.  Unfortunately, they didn't get rid of Shippuden with it, but at least this will free up another slot for shows to rotate through.

Yeah. I don't like it leaving over Naruto when Naruto reportedly gets worse and worse with its filler-to-progress ratio after the next arc or so with the rest of Pain, but I do agree that too much of the block was long-runners especially with the recent addition of not one but two whole DBZ show slots, there was little room for new 13-24 ep/1-2 season shows.

I wonder if we'll ever know but probably not. Seems like it wouldn't be DeMarco though since he seems to be a proponent of the show.

And yeah, I totally missed this news too and just found out about it tonight a few hours before Toonami.

You know they make DVRs for this reason

Tried to get one but Dish Doesn't make it easy getting a hopper....they gotta do all this shit to make sure you qualify for one first

every time we try to get one...that gets brought up and nobody ever shows up again despite us showing interest in being able to record our shows

Interesting, though kinda weird since I don't feel like the ratings have changed much for it.

Could also see Toei raising the price. They've made plenty of bizarre decisions that used to effect the streaming of the show and they're lazy as hell and would love more money for the same product.

Yeah. I don't like it leaving over Naruto when Naruto reportedly gets worse and worse with its filler-to-progress ratio after the next arc or so with the rest of Pain, but I do agree that too much of the block was long-runners especially with the recent addition of not one but two whole DBZ show slots, there was little room for new 13-24 ep/1-2 season shows.

I wonder if we'll ever know but probably not. Seems like it wouldn't be DeMarco though since he seems to be a proponent of the show.

And yeah, I totally missed this news too and just found out about it tonight a few hours before Toonami.

T--......... Toei sounds like the most godamn conservative anime studio on the planet. They never allowed announcements of Americans getting Super until 2 weeks before it began airing on Toonami, they insist on reviving only their most profitable and nostalgic hits, they don't care about artistic integritiy in their projects, they commission work from other studios (Expelled From Paradise, Miraculous Ladybug) so they can have control over it, and they're ever so strict on where their shows should be available to the rest of the world!