UnevenEdge

One Piece leaving Toonami. Tokyo Ghoul to replace it.

3ngag3

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think toonami worried so much about ratings when they were on weekdays but now that they are really damn late at night on saturday's(only)is when the ratings become crucial

doesn't make sense

I don't know about that.  I mean I'm pretty sure shows actually got taken off or death-slotted a lot more often back then.  Yu Yu Hakusho and Rave Master come to mind.  Some shows they just flat out didn't finish, like Zatch Bell, MAR, etc.  The standards are less high late at night but there are still standards.  Unfortunately One Piece didn't meet whatever the standards are that the higher ups set for it.  Again this wasn't Toonami's decision, but their bosses'.

there shouldn't be any kind of standards for 1:30 AM....by that time your lucky to get anyone watching anything it should be a miracle for a show to get any sort of view time at that hour

It is odd, I must admit.  All I can figure is since Adult Swim is exclusively a late night network those slots must be more important and valuable to them.

It is odd, I must admit.  All I can figure is since Adult Swim is exclusively a late night network those slots must be more important and valuable to them.

yeah and that's why the rest of the week it's filled with crap like cleveland show reruns or king of the hill....(I.E Fox Animated Rerun garbage that you can get on a number of channels)

my mother thinks this was more of a licensing issue than anything else and i gotta agree since as i said...ratings in the middle of the night on saturday shouldn't be expected to be good in the first place

you just don't dump one piece into the 1:30 AM Slot and act shocked that it's rating's are total garbo

who the hell is even awake for most of these shows? by the time one piece comes on  You are lucky if your legs aren't asleep already

yeah and that's why the rest of the week it's filled with crap like cleveland show reruns or king of the hill....(I.E Fox Animated Rerun garbage that you can get on a number of channels)

my mother thinks this was more of a licensing issue than anything else and i gotta agree since as i said...ratings in the middle of the night on saturday shouldn't be expected to be good in the first place

you just don't dump one piece into the 1:30 AM Slot and act shocked that it's rating's are total garbo

who the hell is even awake for most of these shows? by the time one piece comes on  You are lucky if your legs aren't asleep already

Well from what I'm aware that formula seems to do well for them.  Programming for Toonami though requires more care and thought but you have to think the Toonami crew appreciates having some long-runners on the block because that means they don't have to go through the process of picking a new show for every slot every 13-52 weeks.  And you need long-runners to get viewers in and keep them around.  Viewers like familiarity and always having a show they love being there for them to back to.  So, they come for these shows and then hopefully stay for the finite series.  Having One Piece back there was one more slot they didn't have to program for and one that viewers came back for.  Ratings must have been pretty bad for a long enough time to get The Powers That Be to ax it.

Demarco did say the short answer was ratings.  There was probably more to it but we'll probably never know what.  And I mean we do know for a fact that the ratings weren't that great for a long time, so there's no real reason to overthink this.  Though I have to admit I didn't see this coming since I figured the standards weren't that great for One Piece being the last show before the rerun and then AS comedies taking over.  I suppose I was wrong and One Piece wasn't as safe as I thought.

one piece will be back. Someday it's just too big to simply say "Yeah we're never airing you again" especially since the toonami crew loves the show...

it just shocks me that in the toonami reboot a show actually got removed due to ratings in a crap time slot(a crap time slot that really shouldn't have been on One Piece if anything that should have been naruto from the start....)

as you said the block needs long runenrs and since Jojo's rumored to take a break after Battle Tendencies  finishes and Naruto probably will meet the same fate as one piece in that doomed time slot

they will need a long runner...one or more of those shows will go down and DBZ Kai FC has what? like 64 or 63 episodes left

once that ends they can't just pick up some random new anime and expect people to tune in for it like they would DBZ

they need reliable familiar names