UnevenEdge

disco fries and other weird foods your state is known for

Naraku4656

Buckeyes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckeye_candy

polish boy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Boy

serbian fried chicken https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barberton_Chicken I love this shit. I lived right next to belgrade gardens in akron which is the place famous for it

Coney dogs are a big thing in cleveland and detroit, but obv not really originating here

Pierogis are much more common here. All the drive in movie theaters have them.

If you go to a pizza place, simple potato wedges might be listed as "jojos" and it's common for ppl to get them w/pizza or chicken. idk if this is a thing anywhere else

I'd rather not talk about Cincinnati Chili. The people aren't right over there. Southern ohio is fucked up. I don't really like to venture south of akron. This dish is a perfect example of their culture down there

5 minutes ago, Poof said:

Buckeyes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckeye_candy

polish boy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Boy

serbian fried chicken https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barberton_Chicken I love this shit. I lived right next to belgrade gardens in akron which is the place famous for it

Coney dogs are a big thing in cleveland and detroit, but obv not really originating here

Pierogis are much more common here. All the drive in movie theaters have them.

If you go to a pizza place, simple potato wedges might be listed as "jojos" and it's common for ppl to get them w/pizza or chicken. idk if this is a thing anywhere else

I'd rather not talk about Cincinnati Chili. The people aren't right over there. Southern ohio is fucked up. I don't really like to venture south of akron. This dish is a perfect example of their culture down there

They sell potato wedges at the Pizza Huts down here, but I've never had them because I don't really want potatoes with pizza. 

Lots of places down here call wedges either jojo's or tater logs, and they are awesome. There's an old gas station in the nearest town that sells them. Best food in our county can be found in that tiny, old gas station.

15 minutes ago, Poof said:

It is in the Illinois/Chicago area, moreso at chicken places. 

2 minutes ago, Chapinator-800 said:

Florida. It was the one regional food aside from Key Lime Pie and smoked fish dip that wasn’t carried over from Cuban or Bahamian cuisine.

Oh damn. I forgot all about Florida being big on gators. Brain fart. 

I'm in Georgia, and you can find it at most seafood places here. 

4 minutes ago, resurrected said:

Oh damn. I forgot all about Florida being big on gators. Brain fart. 

I'm in Georgia, and you can find it at most seafood places here. 

Yeah, and when you go on websites to remind yourself which states are famous for which foods, it’s easy to get tripped up. I remember having great fried catfish in North Carolina, but it’s also big in a few other southern states. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chapinator-800 said:

Yeah, and when you go on websites to remind yourself which states are famous for which foods, it’s easy to get tripped up. I remember having great fried catfish in North Carolina, but it’s also big in a few other southern states. 

where in North Carolina?

I think the only thing that people find 'weird' about North Dakota is maybe bison meat being really plentiful and the chocolate-covered potato chips. The chips are really good but really rich and I tend to warn noobs that some call them 'tator trots' for a reason. :D 

MN is all about the hotdish, lutefisk, and putting veggies in jello for no damn good reason. 

28 minutes ago, Poof said:

Do they call them jojos over there?

Jojo's was a restaurant chain in the 70s.  A slightly upscale Denny's/Golden Bear type place (I think they had a bar) that usually had a large bubble window in the lobby.  I don't remember them tying in with the potato wedges, so the name probably didn't derive from them.

• Like 1

I legitimately cannot think of anything weird that Missouri has that other states don't.

I suppose you can't talk about Kansas City and not mention BBQ in some manner and in that respect we do have something called "burnt ends" which are, arguably, the best parts of the barbecued brisket.

21 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Jojo's was a restaurant chain in the 70s.  A slightly upscale Denny's/Golden Bear type place (I think they had a bar) that usually had a large bubble window in the lobby.  I don't remember them tying in with the potato wedges, so the name probably didn't derive from them.

As I read the first half of your post I was excited like yesss this is where it comes from! Then you pulled the rug out from under me at the end

11 hours ago, Poof said:

I don't mind Cincinnati chili every now and then. Though I only ever get it on a cheese coney. The idea of having it on spaghetti seems weird to me

ooh,

one more thing that's kind of strange. i live in the south, in case you hadn't figured that out.

but we have a large greek population in this weird little corner of the state, and they've been here for quite some time.

so it's not uncommon to go into a family restaurant and find southern staples like fried catfish or collard greens, right next to souvlaki on the menu.

Is eating Dandelion Greens a thing in other states? I don't even know if it's a thing in my state, I just remember my great grandma would always make them. She also ate thistle root. I don't know how anyone would like these things. I mean I get it when times were hard, but when I was little there was a garden and grocery stores. You didn't have to eat bitter plants. 

18 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Is eating Dandelion Greens a thing in other states? I don't even know if it's a thing in my state, I just remember my great grandma would always make them. She also ate thistle root. I don't know how anyone would like these things. I mean I get it when times were hard, but when I was little there was a garden and grocery stores. You didn't have to eat bitter plants. 

Dandelion greens were not a super big thing but I remember them from up near the Canadian border. It was mostly older people that would have them usually in the spring and only the young leaves and I think it was more as a holdover from their parents / grandparents when you needed a fresh dose of vitamin c after a long winter. 

I do drink tea with thistle in it occasionally. It's supposed to help with damaged livers, arthritis, and other inflammations. 

3 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Dandelion greens were not a super big thing but I remember them from up near the Canadian border. It was mostly older people that would have them usually in the spring and only the young leaves and I think it was more as a holdover from their parents / grandparents when you needed a fresh dose of vitamin c after a long winter. 

I do drink tea with thistle in it occasionally. It's supposed to help with damaged livers, arthritis, and other inflammations. 

Well my great grandma lived to be 100 so it must be good for something. Also my greatx2 grandfather made the tetanus shot. So who knows what medicinal stuff my family was into. 

31369039_1911478365549189_5088158338647064576_n.jpg

2 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Well my great grandma lived to be 100 so it must be good for something. Also my greatx2 grandfather made the tetanus shot. So who knows what medicinal stuff my family was into. 

31369039_1911478365549189_5088158338647064576_n.jpg

*snorts

I remember those chairs.

They were not comfortable. :D They were only fun to trace with your fingers because of the smoothness.