UnevenEdge

College Football 20XX

StarPanda

On December 4, 2019 at 5:26 PM, scoobdog said:

Well.... Clay Helton is back for another year, and 'SC fans are losing their shit.

I love it.

He's actually not a bad coach. The fan base needs to have patience. (Or if he's been there longer than I believe he has, more patience. Plus, if he coaches USC to a bowl win this year, he can build on that for next year.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung said:

Wouldn't surprise me, though I'll be rooting for LSU. (Because, well, I've got family in Louisiana and they're all LSU fans.)

I HATE Tenessee and Auburn. I'm basically neutral on everyone else lol. Honestly I could care less which way this game goes, but I'm picking Clemson because that LSU d has been wishy washy, and Trevor Lawrence wants to fuck. 

• Haha 1

Just now, scoobdog said:

Apparently not.  And I thought 'SC's defense rolled over against Iowa.  Oklahoma shit the fucking bed.

Jalen hurts is very one dimensional and LSU exploited tf outta that. Jalen has gotten better as a passers but he's still not a qb through and through. Clemson is gonna present a new list of challenges for LSU

On 12/29/2019 at 12:00 AM, scoobdog said:

I'm sure.  But, Oklahoma isn't that far off Clemson.  LSU had a rough patch defensively in the middle of the season, but, while Clemson and Oklahoma stayed the course, LSU got better.

Agreed. I'll most likely get to hear "Geaux Tigers! National Champs!" all the way to late August. There are several LSU fans here in the Houston area due to several Louisiana folk moving over here over the years. And yes, I mean long before Katrina. (Then again, I also have family in Louisiana that went to LSU so I can't complain.) The alternative is Clemson repeating and launching a dynasty that will rival Alabama's.

Edited by Sir Teddybar Gut Fullung

IF LSU wins and thats a big if, they'll go right back to being slightly above average next year. They're only doing what they're doing right now because of Joe Burrow. He's having the best season of any college QB ever straight up, and he's carrying LSU. These cocky LSU fans are gonna be feeling some type of way when they get served that first L later this year lmao.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, molarbear said:

What do you think about this?  I personally wouldn't mind seeing OU Play USC every couple of years

Personally, I wouldn't mind playing OU on a yearly basis.

I kind of get where this is coming from, and creating a superconference will certainly upend the SEC's stranglehold.  But there are a few things to consider:

• The first thing that kind of jumps up though is the geographic logistics:  if you poach, say, USC and UCLA, you're suddenly spending a lot more to send your teams out West ever other year to play us.  That's actually more of a problem for us than it is for the Big 12 in the sense that, suddenly, all of our opponents are three to four hours away by plane instead of just one or two.  It's certainly not a deal breaker if it means that we're becoming part of an instantly recognizable group that has a far better chance of getting the automatic playoff birth with a conference championship.  But, it has some implication in how we recruit year-round and it places added strain on the academics part of the team obligations.  This represents something of a challenge that needs to be successfully navigated.
  • From a nostalgic perspective, losing that shot at a Rose Bowl birth every year is a really big deal for USC.  No other team comes close to wins and appearances at that bowl game, so saying we own the Granddaddy of Them All is almost an understatement.  It's not just that we get to the bowl often, it's that it the bowl is played in our territory, and that means we can pack the stadium (the Rose Bowl) and get our recruits there in droves.  Losing that special dynamic is difficult.  Would our fans travel to the Sugar Bowl?  Probably.  Traveling hasn't hurt other teams that recruit, either.  It just would be different and that can have some effect on a school's and team's identity.
  • Speaking of recruiting and geography, there is a big downside for the new Big 12 (and, tangentially, what would be the Pac 10), if we join.  As it is now, the Big 12 can compete in the Los Angeles area for recruits with less overlap:  while everyone is competing for the top rated recruits here, it's relatively easy to for other conferences to come here and find 3-star recruits to fill out their ranks without there being a lot of competition.  With a new superconference, the other top teams will have to come into our neighborhood to pry away the top recruits from us.  A lot has been made about this past year and USC's supposedly poor recruiting (especially if you listen to our shit fans), but historically, this has been a blip on an otherwise strong trend, and, the fact remains Southern California is one of the few places in the country with an endless supply of raw talent.  Having that market restricted will have a huge impact on Big 12 teams not named Oklahoma or Texas (who share proximity to another one of those few places).  Meanwhile, the Pac 10 would now be competing for West  Coast recruits against a behemoth of a conference with better resources and better exposure.  What any of this ends up in is anyone's guess, but it could create a stratification in the Big 12 and further relegate the Pac 10 into irrelevance.

All that said, I would be fine with doing it or not.  Mike Bohn has come out as saying that everything is on the table, and this could be the huge shake up our program needs.  This year is going to be something of year to grow with our splashy defensive coaching hires and a quarterback that was tearing it up last year, so the focus right now is on building the program back.  Coming up, though, the Pac 12 has a lot to fix.  The Pac 12's television deal has been an absolute disaster, to the point it's been contributing to the Pac 12's irrelvance.  Most significantly. that deal has lead to those absurd Thursday and Friday games, so a new deal at least needs to make getting rid of these a priority.  Furthermore, it needs to insist on early time slots for at least some games on Saturday.  Also, tied with that is a revision to the current profit sharing model, which has somehow hampered the conference rather than help it.  A lot really depends on how the negotiation goes and how the conference adjusts for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • panic locked and locked this topic
  • panic pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

So, are they going to play this year?  Ive seen some stuff about college game day actually doing things and I thought I saw some lower-tier schools playing.

Anyone have any idea whats going on? 

Well for instance Arkansas State and Central Arkansas have both had a primetime ESPN game before Humidity Rutgers even starts their season.

Right now we're at:

• Playing now-ish: ACC, BIG 12, SEC, American, C-USA, Sun Belt, and some FCS teams for the purpose of non-conference games
  • Playing in the Spring: Big 10, Pac-12, MAC, Mountain West, the rest of the FCS and below

• 2 weeks later...

58 minutes ago, panic said:

The refs in the TCU-Texas game are atrocious. TCUs Garrett Wallow looks like a 2-down LB only. Got smoked by the TE.

Mizzou LB Nick Bolton is really fun to watch. Huge hitter and can cover. Too bad he's only 6' tall.

Dexter Coakley was only 5'7 and he had a pretty successful stint in the NFL

1 hour ago, panic said:

I don't understand how FSU can be so bad. They're losing to a team coached by a 13-year-old.

As a fan of HUMIDITY RUTGERS I would like to formally invite Florida State fans to the "Yo what the FUCK happened to our program?" club

22 hours ago, panic said:

The refs in the TCU-Texas game are atrocious. TCUs Garrett Wallow looks like a 2-down LB only. Got smoked by the TE.

Mizzou LB Nick Bolton is really fun to watch. Huge hitter and can cover. Too bad he's only 6' tall.

We still beat those Longhorns though. Woo!

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Seight said:

True, because he'll either be coaching the Jets or Lions.

I dunno

You think an NFL team is going to want a guy that repeatedly recruits top 10 classes and doesn't get results?  I know he had a lot of success with the 49'ers in the past but I just don't see him being high on the hire list until he can get some better results at Michigan

6 hours ago, molarbear said:

I dunno

You think an NFL team is going to want a guy that repeatedly recruits top 10 classes and doesn't get results?  I know he had a lot of success with the 49'ers in the past but I just don't see him being high on the hire list until he can get some better results at Michigan

My rebuttal is that implies those two teams are smart tho.