UnevenEdge

College Football 20XX

StarPanda

I was referring to conference championships, obviously.  But, that being said, the MoV metric for the BCS and Playoff Selection isn't a true metric- it has a subjectivity variable built in that accounts for things like this and (presumably) to discourage running up the score in an obscene manner.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:35 PM, scoobdog said:

I was referring to conference championships, obviously.  But, that being said, the MoV metric for the BCS and Playoff Selection isn't a true metric- it has a subjectivity variable built in that accounts for things like this and (presumably) to discourage running up the score in an obscene manner.

I feel like whenever a ranked team played another ranked team they would always try to run up the score at least a little

BCS was the Computers, Coach, and AP poll right?

9 hours ago, molarbear said:

I feel like whenever a ranked team played another ranked team they would always try to run up the score at least a little

BCS was the Computers, Coach, and AP poll right?

Just computer and coaches, I think....  If I recall, the AP kind of did its own thing, resulting in a split championship at least once.

And, yes, they placed different value on "big wins" over ranked than unranked.  The latter was all about expectations and optics - you were expected to blow them out of the water, but you had to make it look like you weren't running up the score on purpose (even though you obviously were).  That essentially means killing the opponent with your backups in the 4th.

5 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Just computer and coaches, I think....  If I recall, the AP kind of did its own thing, resulting in a split championship at least once.

Pretty sure there was at least one more, I could be wrong

I just always liked how they'd talk about "What the Computers think". It always made me think of some giant Tron like computer with a face and a magic 8-ball

• Haha 1

Gary Barta: "Set aside watching the games, though that’s certainly a part of it. But statistically in just about every category, offensively and defensively, Michigan comes out on top over Michigan State."

Netflix Is A Joke on Twitter: "https://t.co/SgO0m8KUGL" / Twitter

Edited by Seight
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seight said:

Me, Usually: "I'm concerned about [FKA Humidity Rutgers'] performance against Alabama"

Me, Today: "I'm concerned about Brad Nessler and Gary Danielson's performance against the things that are actually happening in the game they are calling"

At least Oregon is losing

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

There's no way Lincoln makes this move if Oklahoma doesn't jump to the SEC.

I agree. Apparently he's been very vocal about his displeasure of OU joining the SEC

Not sure what he's afraid of, I can't say loss of a recruiting market. Texas is a pipeline, and the West has been friendly to OU lately

I've justified it in my head by saying he inherited a pretty decent program from Stoops and wants to try to prove himself (not that he needs to) by building one up that's not exactly doing the best right now

Best of luck to the dude, you're getting a hell of a coach who brought in top 10 recruiting classes here.. imagine what he can do when he can literally point at socal on a map and tell recruits that's where they'll be playing

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, molarbear said:

I agree. Apparently he's been very vocal about his displeasure of OU joining the SEC

Not sure what he's afraid of, I can't say loss of a recruiting market. Texas is a pipeline, and the West has been friendly to OU lately

I've justified it in my head by saying he inherited a pretty decent program from Stoops and wants to try to prove himself (not that he needs to) by building one up that's not exactly doing the best right now

Best of luck to the dude, you're getting a hell of a coach who brought in top 10 recruiting classes here.. imagine what he can do when he can literally point at socal on a map and tell recruits that's where they'll be playing

I don't think he's afraid of anything as much as he sees a bad deal.

I wouldn't want to be coaching in the SEC where everything football (particularly recruiting) runs through Tuscaloosa, unless I was professional agitator Lane Kiffin (who got a raw deal at USC).  What he was able to do with recruiting out West is hella impressive, but it helped being part of a traditional power in a conference where it was clearly the alpha.  That all changes with the conference realignment:  now, even if Oklahoma wins the SEC championship game, they're just going to end up playing an over-valued Alabama team in the playoffs anyway.  What's more puzzling to me is why Oklahoma would want to leave the Big 12 to be a small fish in the SEC:  even if they end up making more money in conference payouts, they lose the kind of control over media allotments they had as the premier team of their previous conference.  Should Lincoln build the kind of program he had in UO at USC, he'll have infinitely more control over the program's exposure than he would in the SEC.

Whether coming out to the Pac 12 results in more success for him is hard to say, but he will almost assuredly dominate the conference.  Oregon has long since maxed out, and the rest of the conference is full of also-rans (except for maybe David Shaw, who's can make magic out of middling recruiting classes).  He even has the benefit of being in the weaker of the two divisions, meaning his best teams can roll to the Pac-12 Championship with relative ease, setting up the opportunity to make a standing invitation to the Rose Bowl.  He's got the kind of place here that he would have continued to have in Norman had the move never happened.

14 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I don't think he's afraid of anything as much as he sees a bad deal.

I wouldn't want to be coaching in the SEC where everything football (particularly recruiting) runs through Tuscaloosa, unless I was professional agitator Lane Kiffin (who got a raw deal at USC).  What he was able to do with recruiting out West is hella impressive, but it helped being part of a traditional power in a conference where it was clearly the alpha.  That all changes with the conference realignment:  now, even if Oklahoma wins the SEC championship game, they're just going to end up playing an over-valued Alabama team in the playoffs anyway.  What's more puzzling to me is why Oklahoma would want to leave the Big 12 to be a small fish in the SEC:  even if they end up making more money in conference payouts, they lose the kind of control over media allotments they had as the premier team of their previous conference.  Should Lincoln build the kind of program he had in UO at USC, he'll have infinitely more control over the program's exposure than he would in the SEC.

Whether coming out to the Pac 12 results in more success for him is hard to say, but he will almost assuredly dominate the conference.  Oregon has long since maxed out, and the rest of the conference is full of also-rans (except for maybe David Shaw, who's can make magic out of middling recruiting classes).  He even has the benefit of being in the weaker of the two divisions, meaning his best teams can roll to the Pac-12 Championship with relative ease, setting up the opportunity to make a standing invitation to the Rose Bowl.  He's got the kind of place here that he would have continued to have in Norman had the move never happened.

SEC had to offer them something nice, otherwise they could have just gone independent like Notre Dame

1-2 possibly ranked teams per season followed by 8 other games of playing Montana A&M esque teams all while ranking in the dough that otherwise would have been split amongst conference members

16 minutes ago, molarbear said:

SEC had to offer them something nice, otherwise they could have just gone independent like Notre Dame

1-2 possibly ranked teams per season followed by 8 other games of playing Montana A&M esque teams all while ranking in the dough that otherwise would have been split amongst conference members

This OP/ED kind of sums it up.  (Sorry about the paywall).

Like the final scene in "The Usual Suspects," the little clues that had been laid out for everyone to see started to come together just before 4 p.m. on the East Coast, roughly 16 hours after Lincoln Riley uttered the following words: “I’m not going to be the next head coach at LSU.” 

As it turned out, Riley was telling the truth. But that wasn’t the important part. It’s what he didn’t say after Oklahoma lost to Oklahoma State on Saturday night that shook up the college football world.

With the Sooners out of the Big 12 and College Football Playoff race, he was free to become the next head coach at Southern California. And now that it’s a done deal, the pieces suddenly start to fit. 

The silence of USC’s search that had people across the industry wondering what they were up to. The rumors that started to gather momentum Friday and Saturday from plugged-in people both in Baton Rouge and Norman that Riley might have interest in going to LSU, which now seems like a brilliant misdirection play to throw everyone off the scent. And, perhaps most of all, we now know what Riley really thinks about Oklahoma’s impeding move to the SEC. 

[T]he more interesting angle to this is what it says about the new-look SEC, where all 16 teams are going to be paying their coaches massive amounts of money and pouring resources into facilities. Where most of the fan bases are going to expect College Football Playoff spots, and where the coaches are generally going to be a three-game losing streak from the hot seat. 

We all know the pay is great in the SEC, as is the upside of recruiting in the most talent-rich area of the country. But for the coaches who will be in that league when Texas and Oklahoma join, let’s face it: Most aspects of the job will be bad. 

t’s undeniable that if Riley had stayed at Oklahoma, his job would have been much harder once the Sooners entered the SEC. It’s a reality that whomever replaces him will have to deal with. 

In the SEC, Oklahoma is not going to be the best program historically. It won’t have the advantages over LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia and the rest that it enjoys over Baylor, Oklahoma State and TCU. For Oklahoma to compete for SEC titles, its entire recruiting profile is going to have to change.

What Oklahoma had in the Big 12 was special. In the SEC? It’s just another good program that is going to have to scrap and claw with a bunch of really good programs for a seat at the table. 

In five years at Oklahoma, Riley went 55-10 with three College Football Playoff bids and four conference titles -- and still, he often had to hear a narrative about what was wrong with his program when things didn’t go the right way. 

That doesn’t mean the fans or the expectations are to blame for Riley walking away from one of the best athletic departments in the country. But you can understand him looking at the situation for what it is — he’s not going to win even close to 85 percent of his games the first five years in the SEC — and look for an escape hatch.

The next Nebraska?

The other layer to this is that Riley flat-out chose USC over LSU, where there were high-ranking people on campus late last week and into the weekend who thought there was a good chance Riley would be their next coach. 

The fact that Riley chose a Pac-12 school over Oklahoma and LSU, where the last three coaches have won national championships, is one of the biggest paradigm-shifting decisions we’ve ever seen in college football.

Here’s the truth: As well-managed as Oklahoma has been for decades, we don't know what that program is going to look like in the SEC. From a recruiting standpoint, they’re going to be constantly playing road games in Texas, in Louisiana, in Georgia and in Florida, and trying to convince kids to bypass other SEC programs that have all the same stuff Oklahoma has but are actually closer to their hometowns. 

That’s hard work, and there are going to be years when Oklahoma is a middle-of-the-pack team. In the worst-case scenario, there’s some danger that it becomes the next Nebraska.

Even beyond Oklahoma, we have not fully wrapped our minds around what a 16-team SEC is going to look like. You can’t blame commissioner Greg Sankey for adding two premier programs, and you can’t blame the administrations at Texas and Oklahoma for going to a league where they’re going to make more money and trying to get ahead of a shifting landscape. 

But the math is the math. When conference play starts, half the teams lose every week. There are going to be a lot of 7-5 programs beating up on each other, with coaches working themselves to death for one more win that will preserve some semblance of sanity for their quality of life. And as the salaries rise even more — $8 million, $9 million, $10 million a year — the expectations only go one direction.

As ugly as it was for Florida to turn on Dan Mullen after what amounts to a bad month and a half, or for LSU to hit the eject button on Ed Orgeron two years after winning a national title, let’s face it: You ain’t seen nothin’ yet. 

For Riley, getting out while he could and going to a top-shelf job where he can compete for national titles — far away from the craziness of SEC life — is a no-brainer.

Nobody in college football saw USC pulling this off until it was already a done deal.  But, in retrospect, it's the most sense;e move Riley could have made.

The key point here is that moving to the SEC kind of sets up the next coach for failure.  Along with the move comes a bigger salary for the next coach who, if he doesn't succeed after maybe two seasons at most, is out.  Plus, the OP/ED doesn't mention the fact that a move like that also means an investment in football facilities even if you already have a refurbished stadium and new athletics facilities.  You're paying money to get even more money, but you're also running the risk of becoming one of the unranked teams that gets chewed up by those 1 or 2 ranked SEC teams you face in division.  (I also love the shade getting thrown at Nebraska.)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scoobdog said:

This OP/ED kind of sums it up.  (Sorry about the paywall).

The key point here is that moving to the SEC kind of sets up the next coach for failure.  Along with the move comes a bigger salary for the next coach who, if he doesn't succeed after maybe two seasons at most, is out.  Plus, the OP/ED doesn't mention the fact that a move like that also means an investment in football facilities even if you already have a refurbished stadium and new athletics facilities.  You're paying money to get even more money, but you're also running the risk of becoming one of the unranked teams that gets chewed up by those 1 or 2 ranked SEC teams you face in division.  (I also love the shade getting thrown at Nebraska.)

They just put in brand new facilities a couple years ago, new locker room, indoor facility, hot/cold pools, etc. I think they added about 5 thousand new seats too so the stadium fits about 90,000 or so people and it's sold out almost every game

I agree on the coaching thing, which is why I really kind of hope (if the rumors are true) mark stoops is on the list of potential hires. He's already got experience in the SEC, and he was able to make Kentucky relevant in football which is no easy choice

The whole Nebraska thing I'm not too worried about. I feel like they were on a downward spiral way before they left the Big XII

Either way, we'll see. I'm excited, I may eat those words and I'm willing to accept that

• Like 1

15 hours ago, molarbear said:

They just put in brand new facilities a couple years ago, new locker room, indoor facility, hot/cold pools, etc. I think they added about 5 thousand new seats too so the stadium fits about 90,000 or so people and it's sold out almost every game

I agree on the coaching thing, which is why I really kind of hope (if the rumors are true) mark stoops is on the list of potential hires. He's already got experience in the SEC, and he was able to make Kentucky relevant in football which is no easy choice

The whole Nebraska thing I'm not too worried about. I feel like they were on a downward spiral way before they left the Big XII

Either way, we'll see. I'm excited, I may eat those words and I'm willing to accept that

Stoops would be a great pick.  You really have to have someone who knows the SEC and relishes antagonizing Alabama on a regular basis.  You also have to have someone who is tireless recruiter.

4 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Stoops would be a great pick.  You really have to have someone who knows the SEC and relishes antagonizing Alabama on a regular basis.  You also have to have someone who is tireless recruiter.

Kentucky extended his contract through 2027

Top rumor at this point is Brent Venables the old DC who went to Clemson

He was apparently spotted in Norman yesterday

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scoobdog said:

He apparently has the best odds.  It also looks like the OK Alumni like him, and that's a plus.  A good defensive coach can make an even better head coach, just ask Pete.   Might be just the right fit.

Eeehhh.

He was really good in the early years, they would never make him DC though, always co DC and I think he caught a lot of the flak for their defensive set backs in the last decade or so

Seemed to do fairly decent at Clemson so fingers crossed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, panic said:

Congrats to USC on getting Lincoln Riley.

Condolences to USC on getting Alex Grinch.

You don't Grinch?

I thought he did pretty ok at OU, the Defense seemed to improve drastically under him for awhile. This year they had some major ups and downs, usually at half time though they'd make adjustments and be pretty stellar

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, molarbear said:

You don't Grinch?

I thought he did pretty ok at OU, the Defense seemed to improve drastically under him for awhile. This year they had some major ups and downs, usually at half time though they'd make adjustments and be pretty stellar

They've seemed to have some decent talent on the DL the last few years, but they always get cute with constantly shifting and running so many stunts and its easy to counter by running the ball... or just being competent in pass protection. Works fine against weak college offenses, but then they run up against an Alabama or 2019 LSU and get blown the fuck out. An Alex Grinch D in the SEC woulda been yikes. Just let your talent beat their talent and stop being so gimicky. Its also annoying trying to evaluate Oklahoma DL when they stunt so much.

13 hours ago, panic said:

They've seemed to have some decent talent on the DL the last few years, but they always get cute with constantly shifting and running so many stunts and its easy to counter by running the ball... or just being competent in pass protection. Works fine against weak college offenses, but then they run up against an Alabama or 2019 LSU and get blown the fuck out. An Alex Grinch D in the SEC woulda been yikes. Just let your talent beat their talent and stop being so gimicky. Its also annoying trying to evaluate Oklahoma DL when they stunt so much.

True

After 4 or so years of watching Mike Stoop's D's completely forget how to tackle I think anything was an improvement

On 12/6/2021 at 4:39 PM, molarbear said:

Venables is the new HC at OU

Hopefully this goes well

I saw a local station in Oklahoma interrupted The Rookie for about 30 minutes to show his plane landing. :| Would any other place on Earth do that?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...