UnevenEdge

today is 9/11

ghostrek

.

Just now, PhilosipherStoned said:

.

no coment

My school didn't let us know, so I found out when I got home and my father was watching it on the TV. Then for the next few days all the adults were very "you'll remember that day for the rest of your life, like when JFK was shot".

My father's longtime girlfriend who he started dating a few year later, her mother was one of those people who happened to have to travel to the WTC for meetings that day. 

5 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

My school didn't let us know, so I found out when I got home and my father was watching it on the TV. Then for the next few days all the adults were very "you'll remember that day for the rest of your life, like when JFK was shot".

My father's longtime girlfriend who he started dating a few year later, her mother was one of those people who happened to have to travel to the WTC for meetings that day. 

we wacth it on tv  at my school

Edited by ghostrek

24 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

as of today, 9/11 is officially old enough to vote and smoke cigs and fight for its country.

BUT IT'S NOT OLD ENOUGH TO DRINK A BEER WTF MAN

It is really kind of mindblowing to me that this triggered our involvement in Afghanistan (and Iraq) and as of now (or I guess as of technically tomorrow), there will be people eligible to go serve in that conflict who were born after the trigger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

It is really kind of mindblowing to me that this triggered our involvement in Afghanistan (and Iraq) and as of now (or I guess as of technically tomorrow), there will be people eligible to go serve in that conflict who were born after the trigger.

it started the longest was in american history

10 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

i've always just assumed that the junior bush was looking for an excuse to get back into iraq and finish off what the senior bush couldn't accomplish. so for me, the current iraq/afghan conflict is just desert storm, round 2.

12 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

i've always just assumed that the junior bush was looking for an excuse to get back into iraq and finish off what the senior bush couldn't accomplish. so for me, the current iraq/afghan conflict is just desert storm, round 2.

Even if it were framed that way, there was still a decade of life in between. And for kids born over there, that means some remember a "before time" and others have lived their entire lives pivoting between anarchy and foreign occupation.

1 hour ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

Even if it were framed that way, there was still a decade of life in between. And for kids born over there, that means some remember a "before time" and others have lived their entire lives pivoting between anarchy and foreign occupation.

really though, how far back do you have to travel to find any considerable length of time in which the people of iraq were not experiencing occupation, political upheaval, chaos, and/or outright war? welcome to the new normal, same as the old normal.

Weren't they pretty decent in like the 70's?

Hang on... yep, pretty much 50's (when they broke free from England) right on through to 1980.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazing-pictures-of-peaceful-iraq-2014-6

Weird how a nation goes from peaceful prosperous place to what we see today after a few decades of rule by a religious fundamentalist and war-mongering conservative government. 

Hmmmmm.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Weren't they pretty decent in like the 70's?

Hang on... yep, pretty much 50's (when they broke free from England) right on through to 1980.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazing-pictures-of-peaceful-iraq-2014-6

Weird how a nation goes from peaceful prosperous place to what we see today after a few decades of rule by a religious fundamentalist and war-mongering conservative government. 

Hmmmmm.

sure, with the exception of several clashes with the kurds, some political assassinations, and a coups or two throughout the 60's and 70's, it was totally peaceful.

• Thanks 1

Frankly, I do not see the point of memorializing the day other than to recount the personal trauma of the event.  It has little to no bearing on the larger social and political issues that plagued us before and after, and ultimately didn't change who we are, for better or worse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I would argue that anti-Muslim-American sentiment grew exponentially because of 9-11. So many ignorant jackasses think all Muslims are the same as Al-Qaeda and ISIS.

I would argue that anti-muslim sentiment was building years before that.