UnevenEdge

suggest anime pls

moonmaster3

here's what i'm currently watching with my boyfriend

Currently Watching;

LWA, Violet Evergarden

To Watch; Guilty Crown, Noein, Spice and Wolf, Nichijou, Katanagatari, Haibane Renmei, Wolf's Rain

Anime we've finished; DAHLING in the Franxx, Konosuba, all of Monogatari up to Owari II, Kill la Kill, Kakegurui and XX, Death Parade, Goblin Slayer, FLCL, Ergo Proxy, Tokyo Ghoul and Root A, Dragon Maid, Zombieland Saga, Hellsing Ultimate

so taking an suggestions for us to watch together!

You've got some really great stuff on the to-watch list.  There's a wide range of genres there, but just going by things you've already seen, if you liked Kill la Kill you should definitely give Gurren Lagann a try, since it's by the same creative staff and very much in the same crazy over-the-top vein.  Similarly, if you got a kick out of Hellsing Ultimate's ultraviolence then Black Lagoon is an awesome action show.  On the cerebral side of things, Serial Experiments Lain is a classic psychological show that has a bit of the same mood as Ergo Proxy, and definitely get Paranoia Agent in there for a different sort of psychological take.

Oh, and Bebop, because Bebop.

• Thanks 1

oh i guess we have watched TTGL, just seperately. i remember watching Black Lagoon on [as] ages ago, but i never finished it much like every other naime i start on my own lol

Lain is one of his favorite, and i forgot to add it on the To Watch list, same with Paranoia Agent which is one of my favs

and ofc we've seen Bebop, i for one grew up on it in my teen years. it's too much of a classic imo

• Like 1

Heh, I should have figured a few of those were givens.  I've been watching series with a group of friends for over a decade, so let me think of some of the good stuff we've done more recently...I feel legally obligated to recommend Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to any and all comers if you haven't seen that on Toonami.  Same goes for My Hero Academia, which is just a super-good shounen.  For not-block stuff, Made in Abyss is a fantastic slice of horror dressed up in a really cute coat of paint.  Land of the Lustrous is a fun show with far and away the best CGI usage I've ever seen in an anime series.  Girls' Last Tour is a really chill yet thought-provoking series, really similar to Kino's Journey in tone if you're familiar with that one.  And if you do like psychological stuff, you absolutely owe it to yourself to check out Ikuhara's works.  Revolutionary Girl Utena is an absolute all-time classic series, and his more recent works Mawaru Penguindrum, Yurikuma Arashi, and the just-aired Sarazanmai all do some really crazy stuff with gender and sense of self and all sorts of fun weird shit.

• Thanks 1

Mister @Top Gun has some excellent recommendations! I would especially second My Hero Academia because it is just such a fantastic show.

It seems like you’ve got a few different genres you enjoy so I’ll just toss a couple out here for your consideration:

- if you want something a little dark and unusual, I love Madoka Magica. It takes the whole magical girl theme and puts a big twist on it that really results in some next level mind duckery.

- I truly adore Konosuba, but have you tried any other shows in the “stuck in a game” genre? Log Horizon is a great one if you’re looking for something thoughtful and immersive. (Not as cheeky, but still a favorite.) Or, if you’re looking for shows that have a similar sense of humor to Konosuba, you might find you enjoy something like Heaven’s Lost Property. 

- You might like Deadman Wonderland based on some of the other shows you’ve watched. Similarly, Prison School is a really offbeat dystopian show and it’s pretty strange but I like it. (The live action is on Funimation and that’s worth watching too, if you like the series!)

- If you liked TTGL and Kill la Kill, check out Punch Line. It uses some of the same production staff members as these other shows and I found it to be similarly crazy and offbeat. The plot is sort of a funny sci-fi mixed with paranormal vibe.

- Other shows that I like and would rec in general: Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Ouran High School Host Club, and Rage of Bahamut.

Definitely gotta echo Jojo and Hero Academia.

Also gonna recommend:

Mushishi (really great "dude wanders the earth solving problems" series, unfortunately the second season never got a US release)
Tiger and Bunny (Superhero series that kicked off right around the time the genre started getting really popular)
Erased (psychological murder mystery with a time-travel twist)
Promised Neverland (just finished on the block, adorable children try to outwit the villains and escape with their lives)
Michiko and Hatchin (sexy escaped con and spunky kid team up to track down the man at the center of their lives)
Princess Principal (Victorian-era school girls go on really cool spy missions)

Edited by EmpressAngel

Considering how all over the place my taste is, I can't trust myself to recommend anime to anyone, but I will say that Kuromukuro is one of the better original mecha anime in recent memory, and Mr. Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues is an amazing workplace comedy, though I'd recommend watching both seasons of Kaiji before even touching the latter.

Oh, and Mob Psycho 100. Watch that too. You won't regret it.

Edited by PokeNirvash

In the more quirky LWA vein, I'd recommend Eccentric Family, both seasons.  About a family of shape-shifting tanuki (one of whom lives as a frog at the bottom of a well) in Kyoto trying not to get eaten by humans, while living among them.  It's fun, beautifully animated, warm and touching, intriguing, surprising and tells a tightly woven story.

Noragami is pretty fun.  About a minor god named Yato and his relationship with all the other gods who hate him and a human girl who keeps leaving her body around.  Some good action and some feels too.

Re: Zero is one of the best of the isekai genre out there, and Subaru is certainly not the typical OP isekai hero.

Another more recent title that really flew under the radar is Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens.  About a city where like 75% of the population are hit men, or hit-men adjacent. :D  It's great fun, as long as you check your real-world morality at the door (like you'll be cheering for the torturer when he finally lands a job!).  It's not as crazy as say, Baccano! (which I also recommend if you haven't seen it), but a good time still, and you don't need to take notes.

If you haven't already seen it, I'd recommend Now and Then, Here and There.  It's pretty depressing though, but thought-provoking.  Don't let the first 15 min fool you.

For something completely different...puppets!  Definitely check out the bad-ass sword-slingers-on-strings of Thunderbolt Fantasy!  Costuming! Swords! Puppets! Blood spray! Dismemberment! Puppets! Flying pterodactyl skeletons! Sorcery! Humor! Gen Urobuchi!  Puppets!!!  See it now!

• Like 2

Seconding Baccano and Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens.

Haikyu! - volleyball anime but it's really fun to watch.

Trigun - an action classic along the lines of Cowboy Bebop that starts off goofy, but then pulls a 180 on you.

Natsume's Book of Friends - a very relaxing anime about a boy who can see monsters and the adventures he has with them once he accepts his gift. Some of the stories can make you cry, but it's mostly heartwarming.

March Comes in Like a Lion - it's about a young professional Shogi player who lost his family and how he deals with his depression while also learning how to let people in his heart again.

Yuri on Ice - ice skating with a very well done gay romance. It's not graphic in any way and relies on storytelling to develop the relationship.

Yona of the Dawn - a great fantasy show about a princess learning to survive after her father is murdered and she has to go on the run. It has really good character building.

Shiki - small Japanese village goes bonkers after vampires arrive and start killing people. The best vampire show that I've seen in years.

• Like 2

Teasing Master Takagi-san.

A Silent Voice.

Sound! Euphonium.

K-On!

Danganronpa.

Love, Chuniybo & Other Delousions.

Kaguya-sama - Love is War.

Kakegurui.

Hyouka.

Every anime series by KyoAni, including the ones I mentioned. 

My Youth Romantic Comedy.

My Little Monster.

Laid Back Camp.

Himouto Chan.

Sweetness and Lightning.

Grand Blue Dreaming.

Harukana Receive.

Dive!

Shomin Sample.

Witchcraft Works.

Flying Witch.

The Quintessential Quadruplets.

Hinamatsuri.

New Game!

Gabriel Dropout.

Non Non Biyori.

We Never Learn.

One Week Friends.

Is It Wrong To Try To Pick up Girls In A Dungeon?

How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend.

D-Frag!

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun.

Mayo Chiki!

Wataten!: An Angel Flew Down to Me

Anne Happy

Made in Abyss

Is the Order a Rabbit?

The Devil is a Part-Timer!

Servant x Service

Working!! and it's sequels and spin-off

I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job.

Maoyu

Spice & Wolf 1 and 2 and the OVAs.

Edited by Hachiman
  • Like 3

I remember liking Noein and Wolf's Rain quite a bit, but it has been more than a decade since I saw them, Looks like some good stuff in the to watch list already.

For newer shows, I really liked Devilman Crybaby and My Roommate is a Cat. But since you seem fine with older stuff I'll recommend:
Fantastic Children, Toward the Terra, Kimagure Orange Road, Shiki, Beck, Baccano, Gankutsuou 

Piling on to Shiki and Mushi-shi.  For more of a time investment, seconding Haikyuu! and Natsume's Book of Friends, and adding Monster and Magi.  And if you liked Ergo Proxy, you'll probably also enjoy Eden of the East.

Loving the chilling creepiness of Shiki as I do, I am also a huge fan of Ghost Hound, especially for it's amazing and disturbing sound design which is like an earwig drilling quietly into your brain unnoticed.  However, it seems most people really, really hate the characters' astral forms, which look like transparent-skulled fetuses with monkey butts (or like the aliens in Strange Planet).  I thought they were adorable though. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...