UnevenEdge

Got fucking jury duty

That_One_Guy

Just now, tsar4 said:

I never understood the desire to "get out of" jury duty.  I've been tapped 4 times, and have always been seated on a jury.  I found it interesting.

Maybe if it was a lengthy trial I'd feel differently.

I don't do courts and I don't do mornings. Shit is boring as fuck. I'd rather watch fucking paint dry

• Like 2

Financial hardship is a valid reason. It usually requires some small-time documentation, but it can work.

Having very personal opinions about something pertaining to the case sometimes works too.

Edited by Bouvre
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bouvre said:

Financial hardship is a valid reason. It usually requires some small-time documentation, but it can work.

Having very personal opinions about something pertaining to the case sometimes works too.

Cool I got both of those 

• Like 1

Just now, That_One_Guy said:

What if I say I have a contagious horrible disease?

Then expect some criminal contempt charges to head your way.
Unless you manage to black-market your way to a sealed sample of ebola or cholera,
in which case, expect heavier felony charges or, at best, expect Dave Lyman
(the FBI gives Dave these kinds of surveillance jobs because he's weirdly into people who are into pandemics)
to browse your internet history and monitor your calls and conversations.

2 minutes ago, Bouvre said:

Then expect some criminal contempt charges to head your way.
Unless you manage to black-market your way to a sealed sample of ebola or cholera,
in which case, expect heavier felony charges or, at best, expect Dave Lyman
(the FBI gives Dave these kinds of surveillance jobs because he's weirdly into people who are into pandemics)
to browse your internet history and monitor your calls and conversations.

Shit I would rather go to jail for a couple days than sit in court early in the morning lol

1 minute ago, viperxmns said:

I had a jury duty scare a month back, dragged me in a couple days then they thankfully settled

The downside was not getting paid at all bc we didn't actually start the case

I don't have time for all this shit tho lol. Btw your icon is cute

8 minutes ago, That_One_Guy said:

Shit I would rather go to jail for a couple days than sit in court early in the morning lol

Max sentence is two years, and I don't know how they determine the heinousness of criminal contempt, outside of the fact that you're lying in court (but not under oath).

1 minute ago, Bouvre said:

Max sentence is two years, and I don't know how they determine the heinousness of criminal contempt, outside of the fact that you're lying in court (but not under oath).

Dude there's no way they'll pick me up for two years lol ill piss myself everyday

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, That_One_Guy said:

Dude there's no way they'll pick me up for two years lol ill piss myself everyday

Trust me, nobody likes to see somebody piss themselves for two years in prison than everybody in and working for prison.

But yeah, that's a max, but it's still a gamble. I can imagine a minimum being a month. I'd rather serve, or just tell the truth about being too poor for their shit.

Quit being a bitch, go that morning and you'll be done.

I got summoned last year, I was dismissed immediately because I am friends with the ADA assigned to the case, they said, "thanks" paid me my 15 bucks plus mileage and I left. Good for two years now.

Go do it and if it's any bullshit charge like drugs, resisting arrest, or blackjack and hookers, then you say "Not Guilty!" When good people get out of jury duty you get stuck w/jingos and buckets going in there eager to try to make their dicks bigger by ruining someone's life

• Thanks 1

i got called a few times but only ever in Jersey. i was able to skip out every time because i was out of state. one time they called me the day after i came back from my other grandfather's funeral and i told them to shove it. they called me once when i moved out and they argued with me for a bit until they basically realized they couldn't force me to do it because i was no longer a resident

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ginguy said:

I got summoned last year, I was dismissed immediately because I am friends with the ADA assigned to the case, they said, "thanks" paid me my 15 bucks plus mileage and I left. Good for two years now.

I knew one of the ADAs for grand jury, and I had to recuse myself a couple months ago he mentioned the case during a poker game we were at where I lost like $50 because I was really tired to the point where I didn't even recall him ever talking about such a thing

the silver lining was that I had enough time to move my car during the case and save $9

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Naraku4656 said:

i got called a few times but only ever in Jersey. i was able to skip out every time because i was out of state. one time they called me the day after i came back from my other grandfather's funeral and i told them to shove it. they called me once when i moved out and they argued with me for a bit until they basically realized they couldn't force me to do it because i was no longer a resident

That's funny - the only time I've ever been summoned was when I was in Jersey xD

And...I'm not gunna say how I got out of it because it's extremely poor advise.

21 hours ago, tsar4 said:

I never understood the desire to "get out of" jury duty.  I've been tapped 4 times, and have always been seated on a jury.  I found it interesting.

Maybe if it was a lengthy trial I'd feel differently.

I've found the two trials I was on to be interesting to, but that in no way makes me want to be on jury duty.

OP:  the best way to get out of jury duty is to not try to get out of jury duty because everyone at the court knows what you're trying to do.  The best way to get excused is to somehow identify with the defendant and make it fairly obvious you share experience with him, her, them.

For example:  last month I got called in and spent two days going through the jury duty selection process.  Being a middle aged white dude means I'm like jury gold if you're a prosecutor, but, in this case, I didn't really have to try to get out of it because i was the only person in the pool that owned multiple commercial properties and one of the defendants was the landlord of the other.  After the section process was done, I was like the first guy the prosecutor preempted.  You just have to be able to tie your own experiences with these of the defendant that would make it likely that you would empathize with them on a personal level.

Edited by scoobdog
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 🍬Candy🍬 said:

This. Id love an excuse not to go to work my job is like a brick being slammed into my patience over and over for 8 hours.

If you think jury duty is more exciting than work, you're sorely mistaken.  It is not exciting or fun.

As long as you can get your employer to say it'd be a hardship to not have you for that time, usually works. Bonus if you're self employed.

Personally, stayed mostly asleep in the assembly room for the two days I was stuck with. Get out early unless you're stuck in a trial. Easy days.