UnevenEdge

Vic Mignogna is in Trouble

ben0119

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/25/18197827/dragon-ball-super-broly-vic-mignogna-harassment-response

We've heard these stories before.  I'd always thought the worst of it was him just being too touchy feely and hugging on people and making some of them uncomfortable, not actual groping and sexual harrassment, much less full on assault. 

I really hope this stuff isn't true.  Vic says people are just doing it for attention or whatever.  Can't imagine what someone's motivation would be to make this stuff up.  How much attention and possibly payday are you going to get out of going after a anime dub voice actor?  There's fangirls and some guys defending him to the death on his twitter.  Of course, not every interaction is going to be the same and there's no way he could get by with this if he was groping literally everybody.

I heard the stories about him being a pain to deal with at conventions by staffers but thought maybe it was just some people with an axe to grind.  Apparently he has been banned from some conventions.  He said he took his furstrations at promises not being kept on the wrong people.  I could live with him just being an asshole.  There's lots of asshole entertainers we still like, like CM Punk.  Well, maybe we don't like some of them so much anymore...

So, the homophobic thing.  Not sure what to make there.  Seems overblown.  Said he was told by his bosses that the character he played wasn't gay.  Could see him refusing to sign fan art in general, especially if it's graphic.  People have disputed this claim and said he has signed other fan art, and the yaoi fan art wasn't graphic.  Who knows.

The thing about conventions letting him play preacher is really fucking weird though.

Not really sure what to think of this or what to believe.  Guess we'll learn more soon enough.

Good luck redubbing every anime with him in it, by the way.  Why was he even brought back to play Broly?  I thought he hated the role because of the stress it puts on his voice.  Was he even Broly in the other movies?

Oh he'll be fine.

FYI he agreed to go back to play Broly because .... that's not Broly. They recreated him for this new movie. This time Toriyama oversaw his take on the character and the voice they went with is even easier on his voice.

Edited by elfie

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/25/18197827/dragon-ball-super-broly-vic-mignogna-harassment-response

We've heard these stories before.  I'd always thought the worst of it was him just being too touchy feely and hugging on people and making some of them uncomfortable, not actual groping and sexual harrassment, much less full on assault. 

I really hope this stuff isn't true.  Vic says people are just doing it for attention or whatever.  Can't imagine what someone's motivation would be to make this stuff up.  How much attention and possibly payday are you going to get out of going after a anime dub voice actor?  There's fangirls and some guys defending him to the death on his twitter.  Of course, not every interaction is going to be the same and there's no way he could get by with this if he was groping literally everybody.

I heard the stories about him being a pain to deal with at conventions by staffers but thought maybe it was just some people with an axe to grind.  Apparently he has been banned from some conventions.  He said he took his furstrations at promises not being kept on the wrong people.  I could live with him just being an asshole.  There's lots of asshole entertainers we still like, like CM Punk.  Well, maybe we don't like some of them so much anymore...

So, the homophobic thing.  Not sure what to make there.  Seems overblown.  Said he was told by his bosses that the character he played wasn't gay.  Could see him refusing to sign fan art in general, especially if it's graphic.  People have disputed this claim and said he has signed other fan art, and the yaoi fan art wasn't graphic.  Who knows.

The thing about conventions letting him play preacher is really fucking weird though.

Not really sure what to think of this or what to believe.  Guess we'll learn more soon enough.

Good luck redubbing every anime with him in it, by the way.  Why was he even brought back to play Broly?  I thought he hated the role because of the stress it puts on his voice.  Was he even Broly in the other movies?

as I mentioned in one of the disc threads....while I never interacted with him personally, he DID once hold up the dealers room line at Otakon to give girls autographs....so I can't say I don't have a negative story about him....since I saw the man walk past me with a bunch of girl following him after the line was stopped for like an hour and was later told he was the reason for the hold up

which BTW Otakon doesn't allow, if they invite you as a panelist you are to sigh autographs at your panel appearance, you don't wander the convention center soliciting random girls for Autographs

8 minutes ago, mochi said:

as I mentioned in one of the disc threads....while I never interacted with him personally, he DID once hold up the dealers room line at Otakon to give girls autographs....so I can't say I don't have a negative story about him....since I saw the man walk past me with a bunch of girl following him after the line was stopped for like an hour and was later told he was the reason for the hold up

which BTW Otakon doesn't allow, if they invite you as a panelist you are to sigh autographs at your panel appearance, you don't wander the convention center soliciting random girls for Autographs

Yeah, even if he isn't a full-on predator, it sounds like he's definitely done some jerkish, creepy, and weird things.

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah, even if he isn't a full-on predator, it sounds like he's definitely done some jerkish, creepy, and weird things.

and honestly, I was hearing the reports he treated gay fans like shit even before 2010, though as I said, I never personally spoke to him....never really tried to

most notably he denied several characters he voiced were gay........despite said characters almost definitely being gay

namely he says Fai (the blonde in this image)

28d02cb1a9c3ae808d198083d55be48a--clamp-

is Heterosexual and claims Clamp Specifically told him this (even though I'm sure he never met anyone from Clamp), despite Fai's entire arc involving him and Kurogane (black hair) being blatanly shipteased to the point of it actually being rediculous

Clamp's official art makes that somewhat obvious

image.png.7dac5df6f5cb0478132dce1a6c2f83f1.png

So I fully belive the notion that any character he voiced might be gay bothers him

I have a friend who was on the receiving end of one of Vic's unwelcome kisses at a con, and even a decade ago he had a reputation for it. I can see some leeway on being over-enthusiastic with the hugs, but what fucking mindset do you have to regularly put your mouth on complete strangers without permission and think it's totally okay?

If he doesn't want to sign fanart, that's perfectly understandable. If he doesn't want to sign explicit material, that's fine. But only weeding out the m/m fanart, including sfw pieces, is gross.

I do think the "holocaust" comment is reeeeally stretching for something to complain about. Like, there's already tons of reports of his poor attitude and creepy behavior. Nobody needed to go looking through years-old panels to find a bad choice in phrasing to round out the cherry on this shit sundae. It just comes off as petty compared to the actual problems in the article.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

I have a friend who was on the receiving end of one of Vic's unwelcome kisses at a con, and even a decade ago he had a reputation for it. I can see some leeway on being over-enthusiastic with the hugs, but what fucking mindset do you have to regularly put your mouth on complete strangers without permission and think it's totally okay?

If he doesn't want to sign fanart, that's perfectly understandable. If he doesn't want to sign explicit material, that's fine. But only weeding out the m/m fanart, including sfw pieces, is gross.

I do think the "holocaust" comment is reeeeally stretching for something to complain about. Like, there's already tons of reports of his poor attitude and creepy behavior. Nobody needed to go looking through years-old panels to find a bad choice in phrasing to round out the cherry on this shit sundae. It just comes off as petty compared to the actual problems in the article.

to be fair for as good an actor as he is I always did find him to be an odd duck.......even some of the things funimation bragged about concerning him send off red flags to me now.......like the fact that he threw a coffee mug at Aaron Dismuke (who was 12 at the time) during the recording of FMA

Edited by mochi

17 minutes ago, mochi said:

and honestly, I was hearing the reports he treated gay fans like shit even before 2010, though as I said, I never personally spoke to him....never really tried to

most notably he denied several characters he voiced were gay........despite said characters almost definitely being gay

namely he says Fai (the blonde in this image)

28d02cb1a9c3ae808d198083d55be48a--clamp-

is Heterosexual and claims Clamp Specifically told him this (even though I'm sure he never met anyone from Clamp), despite Fai's entire arc involving him and Kurogane (black hair) being blatanly shipteased to the point of it actually being rediculous

Clamp's official art makes that somewhat obvious

image.png.7dac5df6f5cb0478132dce1a6c2f83f1.png

So I fully belive the notion that any character he voiced might be gay bothers him

Yeah seems like he's really deluding himself here.  I'm not familiar with the series, but to confidentally claim that character isn't gay...

And as I unferstand it CLAMP often includes gay characters in their work?

This isnt highly pertinent, but I still don't like their art style.  Body proportions way off there.  Too tall an slender, heads too small.  Think they did the Code Greass art too.  The style must have been toned down there.

14 minutes ago, mochi said:

to be fair for a good an actor as he is I always did find him to be an odd duck.......even some of the things funimation bragged about concerning him send off red flags to me now.......like the fact that he threw a coffee mug at Aaron Dismuke (who was 12 at the time) during the recording of FMA

Lol wtf.  As a joke I hope, and not trying to hit him.

Much like with Hollywood’s creepers, Vic’s issues seem like an open secret at this point. He has young impressionable girls he’s done creepy things with in the form of the Risembool Rangers. He’s gotten deeply obsessed with the notion that he directly asked CLAMP to confirm that Fai isn’t gay for him. He is deeply religious and holds sermons at cons on occasion and lets his ideas come out at points. I’m just surprised it’s catching up to him this late in the game. 

• Like 3

I'm kinda getting annoyed by this. Pretty much the only reason this has surfaced AGAIN is because the Broly movie came out, which he voices the title character, and someone had to go and tweet out some accusations.  This is why I don't consider him part of the MeToo movement: these accusations ARE YEARS OLD, and existed before MeToo was even a THING.

Also, A TON of voice actors made themselves a brigade of fans into a club like that.

9 hours ago, elfie said:

Pretty much the only reason this has surfaced AGAIN is because the Broly movie came out, which he voices the title character, and someone had to go and tweet out some accusations.

Actually, it's more because a prominent member of Twitter's anime community got outed as a hideous rapist and overall creep, which caused some people to question everyone in their atmosphere. I followed the guy, and I was crestfallen to see it unfold in real time.

I wish I could remember the exact conversation, but years back when a fan of his was telling me about the things he was doing for young female fans at cons, the specifics just sounded weird to me. At the time, no one else thought it was wonky, so I figured it was me being judgmental. Then I saw him at DragonCon. He was so touchy feely, and he came across as an old guy acting like he's in his early 20's to impress teenage girls. His fans ate it up and it felt so gross to watch. Seeing that completely turned me off of talking to other voice actors sitting near his table in the Walk of Fame room later that day because I didn't want to go near him. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah seems like he's really deluding himself here.  I'm not familiar with the series, but to confidentally claim that character isn't gay...

And as I unferstand it CLAMP often includes gay characters in their work?

This isnt highly pertinent, but I still don't like their art style.  Body proportions way off there.  Too tall an slender, heads too small.  Think they did the Code Greass art too.  The style must have been toned down there.

Geass, Tsubasa Chronicle and xXxholic were from  what I like to call Clamp's "Slenderman" phase, all their works were drawn like like that during that era, since then their style has become much more normal again

image.thumb.png.536d3d41acce4d38cf3c7fec036d5b6f.png

Blood-C was from the tail end of their Slenderman phase which is why it looks a bit like that but not quite as horrifically tall and Skinny

image.png.c307537b8011c948eea5df56077e03b4.png

and YES, Clamp is very well known for including LGBT characters in their mangas

case in point Sakura's brother is gay and has a boyfriend

hqdefault.jpg

and her best friend Tomoyo is a lesbian

image.png.01c6a117e29f9e4179a0cddf209eb0a3.png

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

Hazukari. I originally followed him because he was in a circle of popular anime people, but the others disowned him quickly after allegations started to spread.

Well that gives me another reason for not believing all this:

2. I never heard of Hazukari. I don't know the first thing about it.

Yeah I believe it all. I was on Livejournal back during the Miniskirt Army and Risembool Rangers were a thing. There were gatekeepers who made sure only certain types of people were welcomed into those groups which were heavily involved in conventions and Vic always made sure he was surrounded by them. It was super weird and off putting and I'm fucking glad Travis got the fuck out of there tbh.

There is absolutely no way CLAMP told him shit about shit. Anyone who has any kind of familiarity with their work knows how they code things in their stories to include LGBT romance in their stories. (Also their art has always been weirdly proportioned. They went from airplane shoulders to noodle limbs.)

He's always come across as a creepy asshole in general and from the stories I've heard he can fuck off. He's pretty much the reason I stopped watching dubs. I was out of the anime scene when the Ouran dub came out, but I can only imagine what kind of creepy shit he pulled with those fans. He was bad enough with the FMA fans without adding in an "excuse" for him to invade someone's personal space by playing up Tamaki.

Edited by QueenoftheDorks
  • Like 1

ONE PERSON made you quit watching all dubs??

You realize he's pretty much the only type of anime dub actor who has this kind of presence at events? This is like swearing off movies because you didn't like the way one character poses that one time.

Edited by elfie
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

Yeah I believe it all. I was on Livejournal back during the Miniskirt Army and Risembool Rangers were a thing. There were gatekeepers who made sure only certain types of people were welcomed into those groups which were heavily involved in conventions and Vic always made sure he was surrounded by them. It was super weird and off putting and I'm fucking glad Travis got the fuck out of there tbh.

There is absolutely no way CLAMP told him shit about shit. Anyone who has any kind of familiarity with their work knows how they code things in their stories to include LGBT romance in their stories. (Also their art has always been weirdly proportioned. They went from airplane shoulders to noodle limbs.)

He's always come across as a creepy asshole in general and from the stories I've heard he can fuck off. He's pretty much the reason I stopped watching dubs. I was out of the anime scene when the Ouran dub came out, but I can only imagine what kind of creepy shit he pulled with those fans. He was bad enough with the FMA fans without adding in an "excuse" for him to invade someone's personal space by playing up Tamaki.

I hate Ouran in General but I EXCLUSIVELY watch dubs, I just separate the characters he voices from him....which isn't hard to do since he doesn't do work for Funi anywhere near as much as he used to, Todd Haberkorn is basically his vocal replacement

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

adressing that subject specifically, there's 100% ABSOLUTELY NO WAY Clamp told him Fai is straight

since they JUST RECENTLY confirmed that Sakura and Syaoran are Bi,

and that the only reason Sakura and Tomoyo didn't end up together is that Sakura doesn't have any romantic feelings for Tomoyo specifically and only thinks of her as a friend
(we already knew Syaoran was bi because he used to have a Crush on her brother's boyfriend)

image.png.e44c2f786052c45576f5e888e0c18368.png

(it's why he and Sakura ultimately became friends and then boyfriend and girlfriend)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

Since they started mixing LA and Texas actors? Yes. Nothing ruins something for me faster than him popping up. I don't watch movies with certain actors and I don't get invested in dubs unless I know there's a 100% certainty he's not in it.

Fuck Vic and fuck his enabling fans.They can all die in a goddamn fire.

So don't watch anime with him in it!

4 hours ago, elfie said:

ONE PERSON made you quit watching all dubs??

You realize he's pretty much the only type of anime dub actor who has this kind of presence at events? This is like swearing off movies because you didn't like the way one character poses that one time.

Well, dubs do tend to be fucking garbage.

• D'oh 1

3 hours ago, elfie said:

Well I almost up and ENDED a friendship on social media just because I discussed this, so I should probably go by my gut instincts and remove myself from any and all discussion of it online from now on.  -_-  What a mess.

Or you can stand up for what you believe in and not mind losing a friend or two. I've started ignoring people for less.

Yeah, I've always known that Vic is a creep.  I haven't had any personal interaction with him, but I've heard the stories (kissing, hugging, etc.), and all this really does is solidify my opinion that he's not a particularly great person.  I'm not going to go and not watch anything with him in it anymore, but if I don't see him in dubs anymore I wouldn't be upset.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mochi said:

what's happening now?, did Todd rape someone too?

He upfront and publicly, on Facebook, said he had casual sex with the same woman who outed Vic, back when he was 27 and she was 24.  They were both consenting adults, so it doesn't sound as bad, and also he doesn't go into detail on what activities the alleged "casual sex" involved, since it can apply to just kissing and hand touching.

Edited by elfie

Just now, elfie said:

He upfront and publicly, on Facebook, said he had casual sex with the same woman who outed Vic back when he was 27 and she was 24.  They were both consenting adults, so it doesn't sound as bad, and also he doesn't go into detail on what activities the alleged "casual sex" involved, since it can apply to just kissing and hand touching.

I looked into it a bit

so basically, She exposed Vic....but also in her story, never actually mentioned that Vic did anything to her, and claims that Todd got her drunk and raped her at the egging on of a friend,

Todd's side of the story is that he was also Drunk and barely remembers the encounter, just that he regrets it just as much

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mochi said:

I looked into it a bit

so basically, She exposed Vic....but also in her story, never actually mentioned that Vic did anything to her, and claims that Todd got her drunk and raped her at the egging on of a friend,

Todd's side of the story is that he was also Drunk and barely remembers the encounter, just that he regrets it just as much

Ahhh okay. Didn't read clearly I guess.

12 minutes ago, elfie said:

Ahhh okay. Didn't read clearly I guess.

I'm actually not sure what the point of this is though

like I read her post which she said was her "Vic Story".......but then the entire story is about how she was brutally raped by Todd Haberkorn

Todd's side is that they both got piss drunk because a "friend" of his kept buying them drinks, they had sex, both felt guilty, and toyed with the idea of becoming a couple, before deciding that wasn't gonna happen, so they just stayed friends meeting up at cons every couple years

after his side was posted her response was "yes it's true I kept in touch with him, but it's because I was confused"

it kinda seems like they both feel they were raped but are choosing the blame eachother for it rather than Todd's "friend" who is largely the reason they ended up drunkenly raping eachother

(todd's friend possibly being Vic since she said it was a Vic story then never mentioned him and Todd chose a generic name so as not to name who the friend was)

Edited by mochi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

yeah i heard about him being a kinda pedo creep and read about it awhile ago. like 5 yrs ago or something idk. i rmb reading like articles and hearing ppls stories, and like stuff he himself has said...

wasnt he tryna be a musician too or something?

i still like his characters tho. i know ill be damned for saying that but i believe you can seperate a person from their work. for example i still like the cat from nine lives despite being voiced by kevin spacey. i think kevin spacey is a POS but i like the cat, he did a good job voicing the millionaire ceo turned cat.

and i still like ed from FMA even tho i very well excpect chris hansen to show up at one of his panels asking him to have a seat sometime.

• Haha 4

Other voice actors are chiming in, people that would know Vic personally, so I don't think there's any reason to doubt any of this.  Especially when there's photographic evidence and testimonials.  Apparently Sean Schemmel is liking #kickVic tweets, and Stephanie Sheh shared this ANN article, which is well done -

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-01-30/far-from-perfect-fans-recount-unwanted-affection-from-voice-actor-vic-mignogna/.142212 

A lot of the Vic stuff is being cataloged in this thread on this forum, and the thread for the ANN article.  Besides just the overly touchy feely stuff, someone claimed that Vic tried to rape her at his house, getting as far as getting on top of her with his shirt off, before she escaped.  This was before the VA days when he was mostly doing Christian stuff and the church he was with didn't want to rock the boat by looking into it or doing anything about it apparently.  And another girl said Vic put his hand up her skirt on an elevator at an anime convention.