UnevenEdge

Winter Anime 2019

Hidden

MAL chart.

i feel like theres so much mecha anime this season. unless thats normal.

definitely:

The Promised Neverland

Kakegurui S2

Ekoda-chan

and that Space Attendant movie

maybe:

boogiepop, domestic kanojo and meiji tokyo renka.

ill wait for the rest of you guys to point out the good stuff.

Edited by Hidden
  • Like 1

Alongside my season-late catch-up on Senran Kagura Shinovi Master, I'll be watching W'z. Yes, GoHands might fuck it up like they fucked up Hand Shakers, but when you have chillout hip-hop artists providing the soundtrack and a character codenamed with Nujabes' real-life surname, how could I even resist?

is that boogiepop phantom?????? wow i havent seen that anime in yeearrss. im excited then is it a remake or sequel? either way im watchin it.

also Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen seems interesting. i do like a good shoujo/romcom

Domestic na Kanojo seems like it might be some intersting dramu.

Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. seems like a cute anime too.

might check out revisions i feel like i stick to my comfort anime genres (shoujos/romance. slice of life, comedy) so might be intersting to switch it up to a scifi.

Lots of long-awaited sequels: Mob Psycho 100, Piano no Mori, Kakegurui, Fukigen na Mononokean.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari had an okay first episode and I never say no to isekai.

Rinshi!! Ekoda-chan might be worth checking out.

And of course can't forget Hulaing Babies.

The first two episodes of the Boogiepop remake are great. 

I can't say there's anything particularly that stands out well this season. Osamu Tezuka's Dororo looks awesome. Kaguya-sama might be decent. I like the vibes I get from Doukyonin wa Hiza and Ueno-san wa Bukiyou. Dimension High School could be hilarious.

There's also "your mileage will vary" stuff like sequels, Promised Neverland, or Domestic Kanojo.

Aside from those, nothing remarkable. Spring is shaping up to be far more interesting.

Edited by imchapp.in

Not too much this season besides Mob Psycho it seems.

Everyone’s losing their minds over Shield Hero, but it’s just anothe isekai.  As someone else said, do we really need more of those?  Other than Magic Knight Rayearth getting a remake (because it has all the shit Netflix loves in a blender), do we?

It happens every season since a few of those people got ANN staff positions.  There’s a show that’s “gross” and “problematic” and they rant about why people shouldn’t watch it.

Like Goblin Slayer.  How did that work out?

11e.png

57 minutes ago, Jman said:

It happens every season since a few of those people got ANN staff positions.  There’s a show that’s “gross” and “problematic” and they rant about why people shouldn’t watch it.

Like Goblin Slayer.  How did that work out?

11e.png

People still use ANN?

I thought when people brought up "controversy" it was going to be like Goblin Slayer's full-on rape scene, but now I'm reading their reviews and a false rape accusation is what sets everyone to give the joke review scores. Funny how I think Sister Krone's character design in Promised Neverland might smooth over far more easily than the fact that a false rape accusation helps to try to justify the Shield Hero's self-victimization for being unfairly treated as a weak guy for using a shield.

Shield Hero looks fucking boring and the fact that this is the controversy doesn't make me want to check it out like with Goblin Slayer, but ANN has a history of overblown outrage. Like when they said Stella Women's Academy promoted school shootings because it was about an airsoft club, or that Toriko was hard to watch solely because they just watched The Cove and learned about the whaling industry. I'm sure there's more, but they are notorious for picking one small detail and basing their entire review on it.

Edited by imchapp.in

Nick Creamer was bad enough when he was underscoring damn near every episode of March Comes in Like a Lion that had even the tiniest bit of heartwarming comic relief, but assuming the author of Shield Hero (which I had zero interest in watching before learning everyone hated him for superficial reasons) is a misogynist based on the actions of one fictional woman really takes the cake.

At least Theron Martin gave the Senran Kagura sequel the time of day and showed enough benefit of the doubt to give Hand Shakers 2 a 3/5.

Just now, PokeNirvash said:

Nick Creamer was bad enough when he was underscoring damn near every episode of March Comes in Like a Lion that had even the tiniest bit of heartwarming comic relief, but assuming the author of Shield Hero (which I had zero interest in watching before learning everyone hated him for superficial reasons) is a misogynist based on the actions of one fictional woman really takes the cake.

To his defense, I think Nick's Shield Hero preview had some nuance. He goes on for a bit about how it's a boring RPG-like isekai we've seen a hundred times before, and the tertiary characters don't exist except for being objects to help the MC get back at everyone for betraying him. It's just that everyone in the cursed ANN thread decided to pounce on him for the other half; some of them (definitely not you) may be raging misogynists of any right-of-center political flavor that I don't agree with, but I support their point that it's not good to jump to conclusions like this. ¬¬

Anyone who watches this show due to the false-rape accusation part of the plot or for anything about the author's politics just to "own the libs" is making a mockery of themself. That shit ain't rational, even if the show could ultimately at least be decent. You're better off celebrating the good stuff that's airing this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

It's good for keeping up with which new Detective Conan episodes feature the Black Organization and other nitpicky stuff that's harder to do on other anime sites.

I kind of gave up on Detective Conan. As much as I used to enjoy the Black Organization stuff, they're still adding important characters after 800 episodes. I'm not about to backtrack to random episodes a million times just to figure out wtf is going on because half the cast is new and introduced in some episode nobody had any way to know was important.

Around the train arc or the one after, they started bringing up single lines from 400 episodes ago and making reveals like Conan being able to predict a million steps, like, a year or more in advance.

Like, I know the show is one of the most popular in anime history in Japan, but fucking END already. The timeline is something like 2 years having gone by and nearly a thousand murders. They're literally running into murders on the daily, they every time they turn the corner some convoluted mystery occurs by a mega genius.

I'm just so done with it. If they condensed it to Black Organization and some of the good in between mysteries, that would be fine. Even better, cut most of the B-plot mysteries that become intrusive to the Black Organization arcs, unless it's absolutely integral.

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, naraku360 said:

I kind of gave up on Detective Conan. As much as I used to enjoy the Black Organization stuff, they're still adding important characters after 800 episodes. I'm not about to backtrack to random episodes a million times just to figure out wtf is going on because half the cast is new and introduced in some episode nobody had any way to know was important.

Around the train arc or the one after, they started bringing up single lines from 400 episodes ago and making reveals like Conan being able to predict a million steps, like, a year or more in advance.

Like, I know the show is one of the most popular in anime history in Japan, but fucking END already. The timeline is something like 2 years having gone by and nearly a thousand murders. They're literally running into murders on the daily, they every time they turn the corner some convoluted mystery occurs by a mega genius.

I'm just so done with it. If they condensed it to Black Organization and some of the good in between mysteries, that would be fine. Even better, cut most of the B-plot mysteries that become intrusive to the Black Organization arcs, unless it's absolutely integral.

It's pretty much the formula of the old school mysteries I used to read and watch when I was younger, so it doesn't bother me. 

I really liked the first episode of Dororo and am looking forward to more.

The Rising of the Shield Hero was interesting enough and while I didn't find it as controversial as ANN did, I do recognize that there are some problematic elements. I am interested in seeing more.

The only other new show I'll be picking up is The Promised Neverland