UnevenEdge

Netflix green lights LA Cowboy Bebop, DeMarco busy hating everything

Jman

Dude, I dunno if John Cho can pull off Spike, looks or anything-else wise.

"Cho will play Spike Spiegel, which the streamer has described as "an impossibly cool 'cowboy' (bounty hunter) with a deadly smile, a wry wit and style to spare. He travels the solar system with his ex-cop partner, Jet, pursuing the future's most dangerous bounties with a combination of charm, charisma — and deadly Jeet Kune Do."

Yeah...

The only one that actually looks like their character is Faye.  And she doesn't look hispanic at all to me.  Looks Asian.  Looking up her IMDB, claims she is of Mexican descent.  Okay then.  But doesn't look it.  She looks like Faye though, so good enough.  I know nothing of her acting, though.  Didn't even know she was in that Jurassic World sequel and didn't bother seeing it since Jurassic World wasn't that great.

Actually the Jet actor does kind of resemble Jet, besides the race change.  Don't know anything about this guy, either.

Never heard of this guy, either.  But he looks familiar for some reason.  Actually, I saw the first episode of that Miniaturist show.  It's fucked up and I didn't care for it, but the guy did a good job in it, I'll say that much.  But, I don't remember Vicious having a Jay Leno chin??

1cf5407b0d4aa01dd5958aedac9404d7.jpg

latest?cb=20121003044109

Well, maybe...

5 minutes ago, Jman said:

...Corgi’s aren’t that hard to find.  Brooklyn 99 has one.

Why would you do that?!

There's changing content out of necessity (like an actor dying, or an animal not being available in a country), and changing content because "I'm the producer and ME ME ME ME ME!"

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Disney just launched it's own cheaper Netflix. Bye bye Netflix!

Why do you think Netflix is greenlighting everything pitched to them outside the 23rd street Whole Foods?  Their mass acquisition of product is essentially an attempt to fill the gaping hole losing all the Disney and Marvel stuff will cause.  The hope is DC Universe goes belly up and they go scrambling back to Netflix saying they’re sorry.  Fuck, you and I could probably pitch them a show and it would at least get a six episode order.  I mean, they are apparently airing a live action One Piece with the same budget as freaking Game of Thrones.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, elfie said:

If by just lauched you mean November 12th, then yes.

Announced plans for the launch. There, happy? 

It's 6.99 a month. They own all of Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and everything Fox except Fox News. They also own Hulu.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Daos said:

You could write another awful season of FLCL.

I actually toyed with the idea of a FLCL prequel long before Progressive and Alternative were even concepts.

Though assuming Jman meant six one-hour episodes instead of six half-hour, I guess Kunoichi fits within those parameters with its twelve half-hours.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:28 AM, PokeNirvash said:

I actually toyed with the idea of a FLCL prequel long before Progressive and Alternative were even concepts.

Though assuming Jman meant six one-hour episodes instead of six half-hour, I guess Kunoichi fits within those parameters with its twelve half-hours.

I would LOVE to see links to fanfics of GOOD FLCL sequels.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 7:41 PM, Ginguy said:

I sense a disturbance in the natural order, as if a great failure is about to occur....

Reveal hidden contents

Also, get woke go broke....

Yes, it really is a rule, just ask Disney/Gillette.....

Oh god, don't tell me you've turned into one of those.

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Oh god, don't tell me you've turned into one of those.

One of those what?

All I am saying is that this subject, Cowboy Bebop, is highly regarded. If a LA version is going to succeed, it needs to focus first and foremost on those elements which made the anime version such a hit.

If they set about doing this the Disney Star Wars way, where casting is a diversity checklist and the story is secondary to blatant virtue signalling then the series will suck. So far, I haven't seen much to encourage the notion that it is going to be based on the stories. I suspect that it is instead going to be something entirely different that is just using the name Cowboy Bebop to try and have an initial audience.

1 hour ago, Ginguy said:

One of those what?

All I am saying is that this subject, Cowboy Bebop, is highly regarded. If a LA version is going to succeed, it needs to focus first and foremost on those elements which made the anime version such a hit.

If they set about doing this the Disney Star Wars way, where casting is a diversity checklist and the story is secondary to blatant virtue signalling then the series will suck. So far, I haven't seen much to encourage the notion that it is going to be based on the stories. I suspect that it is instead going to be something entirely different that is just using the name Cowboy Bebop to try and have an initial audience.

The only really questionable casting is Cho, and that’s more his age than anything.  They even confirmed the Corgi.

Well that and we have no clue about the writing.

Edited by Jman

4 hours ago, Ginguy said:

Don't bitch when they cast Ed as a transgender Latinx....

Ed can honestly be whoever the hell they want, if she cannot act, it will be maximum cringe.  Seriously, doing Ed in live action is going to be VERY hard and if it doesn’t work half the episodes fall flat on their face.

On 8/25/2019 at 1:25 PM, Ginguy said:

One of those what?

You're using anti-SJW vocabulary which is making me question your credibility, and where you're coming from on this.  

The current Star Wars is just fine.  Lucasfilm is not hurting financially.  And Disney doesn't make story decisions. People are fine to create any characters they want.  And the Star Wars characters are new so there's no race bending involved.  Finn's character wasn't even specifically black and was actually white in concept art.  It was said John Boyega nailed the audition.  When Kelly Marie Tran auditioned for Rose, Rian Johnson said he felt the role was written for her.  Not sure if that character was specified Asian or not, but I don't know why that would matter.

I would rather the casting be more accurate to the characters in Bebop, because I don't like pre-established characters being changed like that, but if the actors can pull it off, it should still be good.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 3:14 PM, Jman said:

The only really questionable casting is Cho, and that’s more his age than anything.  They even confirmed the Corgi.

Well that and we have no clue about the writing.

Cho doesn't really fit the character description that Netflix gave, lol.  He doesn't strike me as cool or badass in the least.

Who is writing this?

On 8/25/2019 at 8:27 PM, Jman said:

Ed can honestly be whoever the hell they want, if she cannot act, it will be maximum cringe.  Seriously, doing Ed in live action is going to be VERY hard and if it doesn’t work half the episodes fall flat on their face.

I don't know if her ethnicity was ever clear.  She legit looks Ishvalen lol.

Or they don't have her play Ed true to the character if she even can act.  The way Ed behaves is very... specific.  It will be hard to get it right and come off well.

Edited by ben0119

John Cho is a good actor and can pull off cool when he needs to(Selfie and other shows he's done). With a good director and choreographer, he might be good on the martial arts front because he started training since filming Star Trek. There are cheats like ballet lessons to help actors achieve better flexibility and balance so fight scenes look really good on camera, but that's when showrunners put in the effort. 

Edited by SorceressPol
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:29 PM, SorceressPol said:

John Cho is a good actor and can pull off cool when he needs to(Selfie and other shows he's done). With a good director and choreographer, he might be good on the martial arts front because he started training since filming Star Trek. There are cheats like ballet lessons to help actors achieve better flexibility and balance so fight scenes look really good on camera, but that's when showrunners put in the effort. 

I guess I am just too used to him from the White Castle movies.  And while Sulu isn't exactly a geek, I wouldn't call him "cool," either.  Haven't seen Selfie.  But, I see.  Maybe Cho and the showrunners can pull it off!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Y'all realize that even the strongest, heavily trained stunt performer on the planet could still bust their knee tripping over a cat on the stairs, right? It's not a sign that someone's a pussy or something, you weirdos.

It's kinda really cringey how a bunch of grown ass adults are sitting around giggling that a dude got a major injury because you think he might not play a character good enough for your standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3