UnevenEdge

Netflix green lights LA Cowboy Bebop, DeMarco busy hating everything

Jman

12 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Y'all realize that even the strongest, heavily trained stunt performer on the planet could still bust their knee tripping over a cat on the stairs, right? It's not a sign that someone's a pussy or something, you weirdos.

It's kinda really cringey how a bunch of grown ass adults are sitting around giggling that a dude got a major injury because you think he might not play a character good enough for your standards.

Nah it looks like the source is respected so I'm kinda looking forward to this.

I just like laughing at other people's pain.

18 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Y'all realize that even the strongest, heavily trained stunt performer on the planet could still bust their knee tripping over a cat on the stairs, right? It's not a sign that someone's a pussy or something, you weirdos.

It's kinda really cringey how a bunch of grown ass adults are sitting around giggling that a dude got a major injury because you think he might not play a character good enough for your standards.

LULZ John CHO IS NEWB. L2 WALK GG NO RE

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:21 AM, EmpressAngel said:

Hey, when you say it like that, you make us sound like a bunch of assholes! xD

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

They also actually mentioned Yoko Kanno directly for the first time back in April too. I'm actually getting kinda cautiously hopeful for this thing....

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-04-19/netflix-live-action-cowboy-bebop-show-plans-season-2-teases-yoko-kanno-music/.158742

https://observer.com/2020/04/netflix-cowboy-bebop-season-2-live-action-john-cho/

And we'll at least get a good soundtrack out of this (as well as no doubt some of the original tracks as well) if they really did get her back.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 2

I still can't bring myself to care about this.  Live action anime adaptations just really aren't my thing.  It's a shame, though, since it really seems like they're trying to make this not horrible.  If it is good I do hope it does well.  Kanno being involved is definitely a step in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

This is gonna be some watered-down nonsense.

The very painful lesson live action developers will learn is that unlike comic book fans, anime and manga fans suffer no alterations.  It’s probably a defensive mechanism from decades of mockery and 4Kids style censorship, but if you censor a titty, a cigarette, etc, then “FUCK YOU YOU GOOFY NEVER LAID MOTHERFUCKERS I HOPE YOU DIE IN A CAR FIRE AND I HATE YOUR NIECES AND NEPHEWS BECAUSE YOU’LL NEVER HAVE CHILDREN NEEDLE DICK”.  

Anime and manga fans will not suffer changes, watering down, etc.  And in a lot of cases, it’s better to not try than to try and fail.

I can accept changes to Faye's outfit on the basis of..."taste"...for lack of a better word, though I am a bit confused about the removal of a lot of the smoking.  Now I'm not a smoker and I don't particularly like the habit, but both my parents and a lot of the people I work with are, so I guess I'm just habituated to not considering smoking wrong in and of itself.  If this was a live action show aimed at children, I could understand why they don't want to glamorize smoking.  But all I see of it is that it's aimed at an adult audience.  An audience that has probably already formed their own opinions about smoking.  A change like this, I feel, really isn't necessary, isn't something people were clamoring for, and going to just knee-jerk upset a lot of people.  I'll admit that on it's own, it's not a huge change, but it's a confusing one, and a bad sign if indicative of changes to come.

I'm not surprised by the smoking thing. Every single American cable/streaming service is not using that in content anymore. Bob Iger even said no one in any of their Disney properties will be seen smoking, no exceptions. That said, this is why Cowboy Bebop could only be made this good, once. You can't expect to remake it in 2020 and have it be just as good.

Edited by elfie

Netflix rolled out a stricter anti-smoking policy last year.

In a statement, Netflix told Variety that it will not show smoking or e-cigarette use in future shows with ratings of TV-14 or below, as well as all films rated PG-13 or below, except for "reasons of historical or factual accuracy." The company added that it would also limit depictions of smoking in projects with higher age ratings, "unless it's essential to the creative vision of the artist or because it's character-defining (historically or culturally important.)"

It wasn't a decision that came from the show runners, it's an established policy that isn't a hill worth dying on. Would anybody besides the most obnoxious neckbeards (who won't even watch the show anyways because it's a filthy western adaptation of their precious Japanese cartoon) have even noticed the smoking if they didn't outright say in advance that they're limiting it?

• Sad 1

Well, that's Netflix, and if it's how they want to do things, then all power to them. But other stations doing the same across the board - even the ones that don't have impressionable kids in their target audience - just comes off as ridiculous to me, that's all.

Or maybe I just feel this way because I have OCs that smoke and it just wouldn't be "them" if I scrubbed them clean of these habits like Netflix would were they their OCs.

Edited by PokeNirvash

5 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Netflix rolled out a stricter anti-smoking policy last year.

In a statement, Netflix told Variety that it will not show smoking or e-cigarette use in future shows with ratings of TV-14 or below, as well as all films rated PG-13 or below, except for "reasons of historical or factual accuracy." The company added that it would also limit depictions of smoking in projects with higher age ratings, "unless it's essential to the creative vision of the artist or because it's character-defining (historically or culturally important.)"

It wasn't a decision that came from the show runners, it's an established policy that isn't a hill worth dying on. Would anybody besides the most obnoxious neckbeards (who won't even watch the show anyways because it's a filthy western adaptation of their precious Japanese cartoon) have even noticed the smoking if they didn't outright say in advance that they're limiting it?

Well this definitely explains a lot of it.  I wasn't aware of Netflix' policy on it (I don't really watch it), but if that's their policy that's how it is.  I don't particularly agree with the "higher age ratings" restrictions on it, but it's a minor disagreement and neither here nor there.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Maybe they'll drag out the old 4kids episodes of One Piece where Sanji's cigarette is painted over with a lollipop.

"We won't allow smoking in shows below a TV-14 rating."

"Let's get One Piece, where several characters smoke!"

11 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

The way it sounds, it's more of a "show's we're producing and premiering new" thing than it is an "every single show we're streaming" thing. Ain't nothing you can do about cigarette use in shows that already exist.

Yeah, I mean tons of old movies have smoking in them.  Imagine them trying to edit the smoking out of something like Ghostbusters.  No way that would work out any sort of well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Yeah, I mean tons of old movies have smoking in them.  Imagine them trying to edit the smoking out of something like Ghostbusters.  No way that would work out any sort of well.

One reason why 4Kids was so hated. They showed you can still edit old footage for censorship, but they probably shouldn't have. Sadly, it's still being done today, with Disney's edit of Doremon to shift it to the Americas as a current infamous example.