UnevenEdge

Netflix green lights LA Cowboy Bebop, DeMarco busy hating everything

Jman

So what the hell do you want DeMarco to do??  He can't remake something in live-action.  Williams Street doesn't have the budget for it! They can barely make a good animated series they fund themselves, but they know that's the best way to get Toonami's name out there: a series people can ONLY watch on Toonami!  In fact ..... how the hell did you put DeMarco into any of this!?  You could just as well have title this thread "Netflix greenlights LA Cowboy Bebop series" and it'd be fine!  Why do you take any, all, and needless opportunities to diss DeMarco!?

1 minute ago, elfie said:

So what the hell do you want DeMarco to do??  He can't remake something in live-action.  Williams Street doesn't have the budget for it! They can barely make a good animated series they fund themselves, but they know that's the best way to get Toonami's name out there: a series people can ONLY watch on Toonami!  In fact ..... how the hell did you put DeMarco into any of this!?  You could just as well have title this thread "Netflix greenlights LA Cowboy Bebop series" and it'd be fine!  Why do you take any, all, and needless opportunities to diss DeMarco!?

...It was a joke.  Because he’s a Bebop fanboy?

Speaking of, I can only wonder how old Ransla is taking this.  Probably how Moose took the idea of LA One Piece on HBO.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Zenigundam said:

Death Note is far superior to Bleach and one of the top 10 anime ever. Sober up. 🤦‍♂️

Bleach is shit it should of ended after the first season but instead it got a pink slip

Edited by Admin_Raptorpat

At least this means if this ends up sucking, Cowboy Bebop won't be defiled by a Demarco funded Toonami original sequel first, should he not know to leave well enough alone there.  This should also be alternate canon/continuity, so no harm done there.

At least they won't be white-washing this, since the characters aren't Japanese.  Not sure about Ed's ethnicity though.  She's like a ginger Ishvalen, lol.

We've said this before about previous shows, but this should translate really well to an American adaptation since it is not particularly Japanese-centric.  When I was a newbie back in the day I didn't even think it was an anime!  Generally realistic world and character designs, no wacky art shifts or anime "comedy," just the general feel and tone and themes of the show, do not scream anime.  Part of its appeal and what makes it so good, I imagine.  In fact, isn't Bebop and Watanabe stuff in general not even popular in Japan?

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 2:18 AM, ben0119 said:

In fact, isn't Bebop and Watanabe stuff in general not even popular in Japan?

Cowboy Bebop has a fandom in Japan. It's just that it was less of a huge phenomenon that shaped an entire country's view of anime and more of a cult classic, but American fans like to pretend it bombed over there. But to be fair, I can't say the same for Watanabe's other works, and they're probably not as known in his home country.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 11:18 PM, ben0119 said:

At least this means if this ends up sucking, Cowboy Bebop won't be defiled by a Demarco funded Toonami original sequel first, should he not know to leave well enough alone there.  This should also be alternate canon/continuity, so no harm done there.

At least they won't be white-washing this, since the characters aren't Japanese.  Not sure about Ed's ethnicity though.  She's like a ginger Ishvalen, lol.

We've said this before about previous shows, but this should translate really well to an American adaptation since it is not particularly Japanese-centric.  When I was a newbie back in the day I didn't even think it was an anime!  Generally realistic world and character designs, no wacky art shifts or anime "comedy," just the general feel and tone and themes of the show, do not scream anime.  Part of its appeal and what makes it so good, I imagine.  In fact, isn't Bebop and Watanabe stuff in general not even popular in Japan?

DeMarco has never wanted a sequel to Bebop and thank the stars for that.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2018 at 8:46 AM, CaptainStarwind said:

See, I'm still expecting there to be calls about white-washing once they announce the cast.  Do you honestly expect that people will do enough research into the show to see that the main characters aren't explicitly Japanese, or will they see "anime" and just run with it?

It's like when people flipped out about Iron Fist being white and not Asian.  Not only did they not do their research to figure out the original character was white, but they racistly assumed a martial artist would be Asian! :D SJWs gonna SJW! :D

It wouldn't shock me at all if this happened. :D

On 12/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, Blatch said:

Cowboy Bebop has a fandom in Japan. It's just that it was less of a huge phenomenon that shaped an entire country's view of anime and more of a cult classic, but American fans like to pretend it bombed over there. But to be fair, I can't say the same for Watanabe's other works, and they're probably not as known in his home country.

Ah ok.  Well I knew it wasn't as popular in Japan.  Well there was a reason why Watanabe wanted to do Space Dandy on Adult Swim/Toonami.  He recognizes that his work isn't as popular in his home country and has appreciation for his foreign fans.  There's a few other shows like that, too.  Trigun, I think?  I heard the new movie was made mostly due to American demand.

On 12/5/2018 at 6:50 AM, Sketch said:

DeMarco has never wanted a sequel to Bebop and thank the stars for that.

Well thank God.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 8:46 AM, CaptainStarwind said:

See, I'm still expecting there to be calls about white-washing once they announce the cast.  Do you honestly expect that people will do enough research into the show to see that the main characters aren't explicitly Japanese, or will they see "anime" and just run with it?

Did you do enough research into the show?? The characters aren't explicitly Japanese, but they're also not whitebread white people either.  

Spike has a Jewish surname, Ed is brown, and Faye is from Singapore, a multiethnic Southeast Asian country mostly populated by Chinese, Indians, and Malays.  

The casting 100% deserves to get questioned if it just "happens" that the actors all end up being white with Northern European features.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Winter_Rain said:

Did you do enough research into the show?? The characters aren't explicitly Japanese, but they're also not whitebread white people either.  

Spike has a Jewish surname, Ed is brown, and Faye is from Singapore, a multiethnic Southeast Asian country mostly populated by Chinese, Indians, and Malays.  

The casting 100% deserves to get questioned if it just "happens" that the actors all end up being white with Northern European features.  

But Ed has red hair.  It's unclear what ethnicity she is.  Like I said, a ginger Ishvalen! :D Didn't remember that Faye is from there.  Haven't watched the show in years and have no appetite for it after years of ASA and Demarco's forcefeeding.  Yeah Spike has a Jewish surname I guess but doesn't mean he is Jewish.  His hair is greenish black too so what ethnicity is that? :D

Edit - I never really thought Faye looked overly Asian before, but looking through her gallery on the wiki here, now that you mention it...

http://cowboybebop.wikia.com/wiki/Faye_Valentine

latest?cb=20090301201640&format=original

See, look at her features.  Also homina homina homina I'm spending way too much time on this!

latest?cb=20080127070944&format=original

And her and her childhood friends.  The only one that looks white is possibly the one on the far right, I'd say possibly the daughter of Americans serving in the military stationed there.  We have a base there, don't we?  We have bases every-fucking-where.

I also had no idea of the timing of when Faye was born and her accident happened.  I thought it was further in the future.  This definitely departs from our world, then, because there were no civilians spaceships in 2014, lol.  Guess it would make sense, since she recorded that movie on a Betamax tape. :D

And I finally figured out how to stop wiki images from shrinking when you link to them!  Woo!  Gotta go to their page and then click on "original file."  Just clicking on "see full size image" from whatever page you are on doesn't do it.  I thought it was something they had set up to prevent linking to the images, but I guess not.  I have no idea why it does that, then.

Edited by ben0119

On 12/8/2018 at 11:03 PM, Winter_Rain said:

I posted that after I got home from work in the morning, so while I know that the Bebop cast is not explicitly "white", I wasn't nearly coherent enough to either think about or express that.

I'm not denying any of that.  But I also don't expect the majority of people (other than those familiar with the anime) to look any further into the show than "They aren't Japanese" before they start decrying it.  If they do, then good for them, their argument has merit. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you playing the home game, a casting call has become available.

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2018/12/11/exclusive-netflix-cowboy-bebop-character-breakdowns-and-production-start-date/

Specifically they want Asian actors for Spike (with that Jewfro?  I believe he’s modeled after a Japanese actor so OK), Faye (makes way more sense), a black actor for Jet (makes sense) and an open call for Ed (which is good because if you mess up Ed it will be cringe-central)

Edited by Jman

5 hours ago, Jman said:

For those of you playing the home game, a casting call has become available.

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2018/12/11/exclusive-netflix-cowboy-bebop-character-breakdowns-and-production-start-date/

Specifically they want Asian actors for Spike (with that Jewfro?  I believe he’s modeled after a Japanese actor so OK), Faye (makes way more sense), a black actor for Jet (makes sense) and an open call for Ed (which is good because if you mess up Ed it will be cringe-central)

considering his last name is Spiegel I assume Spike is supposed to be Jewish not Japanese (or at the very least mixed)

(Faye on the other hand IS supposed to be racially asian)

as for Ed I think her race is supposed to be impossible to determine specifically for the purpose of making her even weirder

her real name is " Françoise Appledelhi " and Appledelhi doesn't even seem to be a real name, but Françoise is french, it's the french version of the name Frances

Edited by mochi

On 12/8/2018 at 11:03 PM, Winter_Rain said:

Spiegel is a German surname and I seriously doubt it was chosen to indicate a specific ethnicity. If I had to guess I would say Watanabe envisioned a Japanese or mixed asian background. Spike was a member of the Red Dragon crime syndicate which was  "an East Asian Triad and Yakuza-inspired organization".

Edited by saito34

22 hours ago, Jman said:

and an open call for Ed (which is good because if you mess up Ed it will be cringe-central)

Botching Ed is both the most likely thing to happen and the biggest potential pitfall of a LA Bebop adaptation. That is not an easy character to hit the right notes on,

53 minutes ago, saito34 said:

Botching Ed is both the most likely thing to happen and the biggest potential pitfall of a LA Bebop adaptation. That is not an easy character to hit the right notes on,

There was this god awful internet film made a few years ago where for no discernible reason, one of the reviewers goes into a full on Ed cosplay and impersonation.

CRINGE CENTRAL.

23 minutes ago, Jman said:

There was this god awful internet film made a few years ago where for no discernible reason, one of the reviewers goes into a full on Ed cosplay and impersonation.

CRINGE CENTRAL.

Channel Awesome presents The Nostalgia Critic: To Boldly Flee.

An internet film that was supposed to be the biggest-scale production of some of the most popular movie/game reviewers at the time, but wound up being horribly written, a nightmare of a production, and ultimately led to its creator burning bridges with most of them.

FYI, it wasn't "for no reason". The person becoming Ed gets electrocuted when fixing a machine and it messes her (his) brain. She (he, now) was one of the few people in the film to represent anime, so the writer thought it was a funny idea.

Edited by elfie

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

When watching Kickassia/To Boldly Flee, take a drink every time someone stands in a dramatic pose with their arms crossed.

You'll be dead in six minutes.

That suggests actually watching one of those two self-promoting train wrecks.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:40 AM, Jman said:

CRINGE CENTRAL.

They're probably just better off scaling Ed's weirdness back a bit. Some characters just don't translate well out of animation. I could totally see a major cringe fest when Ed is on screen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 11:02 AM, elfie said:

Channel Awesome presents The Nostalgia Critic: To Boldly Flee.

An internet film that was supposed to be the biggest-scale production of some of the most popular movie/game reviewers at the time, but wound up being horribly written, a nightmare of a production, and ultimately led to its creator burning bridges with most of them.

The whole channel awesome fallout makes me happy that I never really got into all the anniversary specials that they put out.  It always seemed like a big waste to me. 

On 12/19/2018 at 9:48 PM, saito34 said:

Spiegel is a German surname and I seriously doubt it was chosen to indicate a specific ethnicity. If I had to guess I would say Watanabe envisioned a Japanese or mixed asian background. Spike was a member of the Red Dragon crime syndicate which was  "an East Asian Triad and Yakuza-inspired organization".

Soooo.... do we bitch, or not bitch?

I was a big fan of Nostalgia Critic and the other producers for a while, myself.  Found him through AVGN, who a girl I was friends with who worked at a game store told me about, he was Angry Nintendo Nerd back then.  Those Anniversary Specials were cool, had no idea bout the behind the scenes stuff with that one.  But, at the time, my computer was so shitty it got to the point I could barely watch the videos anymore, and several things that were going on with the site and producers were pissing me off.  It was decided that Nostalgia Critic show would end, which, fine... but, the show to replace it was pretty bad, and the first episode was a Dark Knight parody.  Talk about creative and branching out!  Also kind of annoyed me that they were going out of their way to cast a black guy and a woman in it, simply because there were too many white guys on the site, I guess.  Either way, that show was a bust. 

Phealous hooked up with that one girl who also did videos on the site, and I guess influenced his humor, because his videos became less funny, especially as she kept appearing in them.  Just remember her videos being boring.  There were some other shows that lessened in quality or changed in ways I didn't like, and just, in general, I decided to say fuck it and stop watching the site.  I had no idea about the nightmare going on behind the scenes, or that JewWario was a rapist (glad I never became a big fan of his.)  Still liked Linkara though and would probably watch his videos again if I ever got the chance.  I liked Marsgurl's videos about animation.  Never watched the anime person's videos much.  Read Right to Left was good though.  Still watch Cinemmassacre and AVGN of course. 

But yeah, who would have thought that Channel Awesome was a video producer sweatshop behind the scenes with horrible management.  Is there anything that won't have a scandal and secret dark side at this point?

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not bad, honestly. This matches up nicely with the casting call from earlier, since Cho is Asian (albeit Korean, which is an interesting flex) and they have a black actor as Jet. No news on who's playing Ed, but I imagine the full cast is still being hammered out.

If I had any material displeasure with this production, I'd express it in the form of Harold & Kumar jokes. But for right now, I'll see where it goes.

i read the title like LA cowboy bebop like Los Angeles cowboy bebop and im like 
huh, cowboy bebop set in an LA setting? might be interesting" but you meant live action and thats cool but now i kinda wanna see the crew like go around tryna have odd jobs and make it in LA. and im slightly dissapointed. 

54 minutes ago, Jman said:

We have a cast list, with John Cho as Spike.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/john-cho-star-netflixs-cowboy-bebop-1199457

When asked for comment, Jason DeMarco presumably just went “Fuck Netflix” 50 times.

It’s multicultural casting, I can dig that. Latina Faye, African American Jet, European Vicious and an Asian Spike. I’m starting to look forward to this.