UnevenEdge

Goblin Slayer

stilgar

1 hour ago, Ric said:

So far it's just not all that interesting and I'm not big on the art style either. The obvious censorship was annoying as well, which isn't a fault against the show itself.  

If you wanna see what this is like uncensored, read the manga. It goes into far more 'detail' than even the LN does.

I doubt we'll be seeing

Spoiler

A goblin horde using barricades make of of naked female hostages

at any point in the anime.

5 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

If you wanna see what this is like uncensored, read the manga. It goes into far more 'detail' than even the LN does.

I doubt we'll be seeing

Hide contents

Even if that scene is taken out, that kind of writing is all I need to know about this Terry Goodkind tryhard shit. *Goes to remove from watchlist*

6 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

I doubt we'll be seeing

Reveal hidden contents

I just meant the violent parts where a third or so of the screen is obscured. I have no idea what kind of stuff might get cut out completely, not familiar with the manga.

13 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

Even if that scene is taken out, that kind of writing is all I need to know about this Terry Goodkind tryhard shit. *Goes to remove from watchlist*

I've heard at one point the LN takes thd time to include the most important detail within any dramatic death scene: boob jiggles.

5 hours ago, naraku360 said:

I've heard at one point the LN takes thd time to include the most important detail within any dramatic death scene: boob jiggles.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm being too harsh in assuming they just want to show titties. Do they bounce up and down or swing in circles? Only one of them is a real way to show realistic warfare.

That first episode sucked.

Every line is just establishing that it's a generic RPG then they get murdered and/or raped, then Goblin Slayer shows up to continue reminding the viewer that it's a RPG.

That's all. They don't say anything about it. It's just shitting on cliches with seemingly no reason, which results in the characters being every bit as flat and boring as the ones you're trying to shit on.

You know, now that I think about it, this story has a lot of parallels with the movie Alien.

There's the cocky marines (the adventurers) who go on a mission, ignore the warnings of danger, get slaughtered by monsters (goblins), who capture and rape some of them (for those who didn't realize it before the aliens "penetrating" and "impregnating" people was a metaphor for rape but even guys were included) and have to be rescued by the hero Ripley (Goblin Slayer), who is a survivor of a previous attack by the monsters. She also has to save a little cute blonde girl (Priestess).

Edited by 3ngag3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, elfie said:

THis is interesting.

Apparently the backlash got so bad, Crunchyroll had to issue a public apology and vow they will post a disclaimer at the beginning of every episode from now on!

Oh wow...

Goddamn.

Well it apparently posted as TV-PG, when it’s a clear MA.

Unless the PG stands for “Purge Goblins.”

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, elfie said:

THis is interesting.

Apparently the backlash got so bad, Crunchyroll had to issue a public apology and vow they will post a disclaimer at the beginning of every episode from now on!

Oh wow...

apparently this show is so hated in some circles that it's become sort of a meme in and of itself

• Like 1

I like the concept, we'll see how they do with the execution. He's basically a Batman who kills.

Batman is obsessed with punishing criminals and eliminating crime, GS is obsessed with eradicating goblins.

Tragic past.

No superpowers or OP abilities.

Smart and researches every weakness.

Improvises 

Ultra preparation.

Doesn't have much of a personal life due to his obsession.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:32 PM, Daos said:

I like the concept, we'll see how they do with the execution. He's basically a Batman who kills.

Batman is obsessed with punishing criminals and eliminating crime, GS is obsessed with eradicating goblins.

Tragic past.

No superpowers or OP abilities.

Smart and researches every weakness.

Improvises 

Ultra preparation.

Doesn't have much of a personal life due to his obsession.

So...the Punisher?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been slow as crap with this recent season save for stuff I'm blogging, but I caught up to Goblin Slayer and the first episode of the Reincarnated as Slime show. 

I honestly thought that the rape parts of the show it would be alot worse, like on par with what they show in movies, but it wasn't as explicit or horrific as it could've been. It seems more like it the content itself is out-of-the-norm for newer anime so viewers would be thrown off by it. 

But I wanted to bring the two shows above up at the same time because they both ended up drawing me in with their first impression because of the inspiration they take from gaming. Whereas Slime's is more along the lines of the world and mechanics behind where the guy was reincarnated to, Goblin Slayer's is what has me giving the benefit of the doubt to its edgier aspects.

I find the idea of the lowest level enemies in your standard game are transformed into these horrific entities that are methodical, can take down anyone who is unequipped,  and their memetic form as doujin or visual novel rapists is taken to its logical extreme to be interesting. Where they might suck ass as monsters by anyone else's standards, but if you're a civilian or an unwise adventurer, they pose a far larger threat.

Similarly, a man who dedicates his life to destroying the lowest level enemies, studying them down to a T, and having a chunk of the cast look down on him because goblins are seen by the adventurers as beginner-level enemies is also unique.

While he sees himself as an avenger that vents on goblins and sees himself as a protector from otherwise unequipped civilians or rookie adventurers that would be wiped out by goblins, the rest of the world sees him as a low-tier hero, being infamous for his borderline obsession with only taking on quests that involve goblins, and mowing through enough of them to get a silver rank.

I was prepared to look down on it for its edgier aspects or say that it was dense or throwing around topics it wasn't prepared to acknowledge like the goblin's main method of reproduction, but it takes far too much inspiration from RPGs to see that goblins as anything more than the same blank-slate fodder you'd see in doujins or video games if they was more gravity given to their antics.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 8:00 AM, Daos said:

This is gonna sound crazy but some people actually do like to watch anime in a language they can understand.

I have been meaning to learn Japanese, it's a very beautiful sounding language imo. Though it is not the language that particularly does it for me, it is the emotional delivery of lines. I feel like the acting skills of many of the Japanese VAs are higher on average than those in the US, I'm not sure why. Maybe it is a lack of cultural awareness of normal Japanese speech, but I watch some Japanese live-action dramas as well and it sounds similar in alot of ways. I guess it comes down to getting a more "serious" intonation from many Japanese VAs.

That said, I do watch dubs if I feel an anime is good enough to rewatch I typically will watch it a second time in dub format. I have found some dubs to be as good as the originals. The most recent example that comes to mind is MHA. I can't remember the last time I liked a seinen dub as much or more than a sub though.

There are some which are notably worse by a large margin (imo), Fairy Tail comes to mind. I simply can not watch Fairy Tail in English the voice acting is terrible -on top of the material having questionable taste already, it is just too much. Soul Eater was the same way for me personally, I could not listen to it in English.

Edited by Sandstone

I often ignore dubs unless it’s in video games, but I will say that one big problem is that the language barrier makes it easier for us English speakers to hold Japanese voice acting to lower standards because we can’t tell what bad acting, stilted dialogue, or melodrama looks like unless we’re hit over the heads with it like with Asta’s yelling.

One scene that made me come to this realization is the big moment where Zero Two and Hiro apologize to each other in Darling in the Franxx. The English dub for this scene is fuckin terrible, but I would honestly have a hard time finding who could make lines like “I called you fodder!” work without dialing the melodrama up to eleven. I wouldn’t know if the original was good by Japanese acting standards but it just “sounds right” as Japanese anime voice acting. Meanwhile, you just have to pray that the script direction or ADR for the English dub is able to allow the voice actors to act naturally if you don’t want the dub to sound stilted or corny. 

Whereas “I won’t forgive you, you bastard!” might just sound like another cool shout from a seiyuu, it’ll sound like a high school drama production in English. But I can’t fault English actors or actresses when making cheesy dialogue sound normal would be a tough order to fill. I don’t know who I’d trust to make the line “The only good goblins are the ones that don’t come out of their stinking holes” sound like it wasn’t a line from a high school drama play other than someone legendary like Jamieson Price or Kyle Herbert

Edited by imchapp.in

A lot of anime dialogue is just plain weird. It's never going to sound natural in English for most anime.

Then you have to add to that the fact that they have to change up dialogue on short notice to match mouth movements on screen or to fix stuff that just does't quite translate.

I usually like most subs better, but I go with English whenever I can. Sometimes dubs get it right.

The DBZ/Super dub is infinitely superior to the sub. I mean, an 82 year old woman voices Goku in the sub.

Pretty much everyone agrees the Trigun dub murders the sub.

Stein's gate has a dub that is equal to or better than a very good sub.

So there's a few good dubs out there, usually by Funimation.

These days with the advent of simuldubs, actors not only need to get it right on the fewest takes possible, but they have to do it IN A WEEK, or even weeks before the episode is released in Japan, instead of a few months like they used to.  I am honestly surprised they're all able to get the quality this level already. Ex. Chris Niosi took EIGHT HOURS to record the FIRST episode of Mob Psycho 100 as Reigen just because of the sheer amount of lines he has (though Chris isn't as experienced with the craft as most others).

"Hey Goblin Slayer, want to go to a strip club?"

Goblin Slayer- "Are there Goblins?"

"Hey Goblin Slayer, wanna grab a few drinks?"

Goblin Slayer- "Goblins"

"Hey Goblin Slayer, whats for dinner?"

Goblin Slayer- "Gob"....you get the picture.

Edited by scope
  • Haha 1