UnevenEdge

Goblin Slayer

stilgar

Since people were talking about it I decided to watch it. The first 2 episodes in dub and the next 3 episodes in sub. I already knew about the infamous scene in the first episode going in. I know alot of people like it, so I'm just gonna say now. I'm not a big fan, I'll still watch it, just don't think it's the greatest thing ever. I like to see what other anime fans talk about at times but there are just some things that make me roll my eyes. Like the fact that EVERY single female is love with Goblin Slayer, yes I understand he is a hero and does a necessary job in said universe. But it's kinda not the best writing of female characters constantly fawning over the male lead creating that Harem vibe. Character interaction doesn't feel real to me but that's my opinion. I think I would like the show just a bit more if there was one female character who had a lot of speaking parts that wasn't in love with Goblin Slayer Also I kinda feel bad how unseriously I take Goblin Slayer. Like what happened to him was really fucked up, but his obsessive batman like character just makes me laugh. Like it's even funnier when the dub voice kinda boarders a Christian Bale deep toned batman fake accent. Or how he won't do any mission unless it involves goblins. To be fair, I find batman himself as ridiculous as well. 

The good. But like I mentioned earlier, I don't necessarily hate him, and think he does a much better job than most people in that world of taking care of the terrors of that world. I think the part where the show shines is the video game rpg world vibe. The introduction of different races who occupy and bring their strengths to the adventurers of the world. The ranking system and how gaining experience levels you up. The different types of jobs like mage, priestess, ranger and all that are pretty dope. I think this is the best writing of the show and also other's past history that creates their motivation.

To be fair, this isn't my usual jam of anime, and there is nothing wrong with people who love the series. It definitely ticks off alot off the isekai tropes list, and not really that much different than Sword Art Online fandom, if fact I think it's going to be a really popular anime at conventions this year. 

Just now, Daos said:

I guess technically not but it still feels like it. lol I'm honestly not surprised. I know I'm gonna see so many cosplays from it this year. I think I should give Radiant a watch though, it looks like I might enjoy that more.

There's been so many Isekai's that everyone forgets that you can have an actual fantasy world non Isekai anime. The only other ones I can think of off the top of my head is Danmachi and Rage of Bahamut.

And yeah the harem thing is a bit ridiculous given no one has even seen the guys face. Except the childhood friend.

So far I think only Guild Girl and Cowgirl are into him, but I'm sure Priest and Archer will be soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CAC said:

Yeah I agree, the harem stuff needs to go, getting so tired of that.

This one is particularly ridiculous though. They never see his face, he barely talks and frequently answers questions in one word answers. He also has a peculiar and obvious obsession with murdering a certain creature.

Unless the whole mysterious angle is really turning them on.

1 minute ago, Daos said:

This one is particularly ridiculous though. They never see his face, he barely talks and frequently answers questions in one word answers. He also has a peculiar and obvious obsession with murdering a certain creature.

Unless the whole mysterious angle is really turning them on.

I guess that has to be it, other wish he's just a mentally scared killing machine. 

10 minutes ago, CAC said:

Yeah I agree, the harem stuff needs to go, getting so tired of that.

Like I love strong women in anime, and it's hard to take the show seriously when they are all fawning over him. All relationships possible are one sided, and it's to the character I don't really care about it particular. I don't even care that they cover his face, there at least is a purpose for that and that's for people to project themselves on the character. But other than the fact that he is a hero, there really isn't any other traits for women to be attracted to, make most seem shallow still. Maybe the cowgirl knows him as a childhood friend, but is there any other personality or motivation to the character other than, She is just the childhood friend?

4 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Like I love strong women in anime, and it's hard to take the show seriously when they are all fawning over him. All relationships possible are one sided, and it's to the character I don't really care about it particular. I don't even care that they cover his face, there at least is a purpose for that and that's for people to project themselves on the character. But other than the fact that he is a hero, there really isn't any other traits for women to be attracted to, make most seem shallow still. Maybe the cowgirl knows him as a childhood friend, but is there any other personality or motivation to the character other than, She is just the childhood friend?

Uhhhhhhh. I think you forgot her main character development. Her main... development.

3 minutes ago, CAC said:

I bet they said it, I just don't remember names.

Actually no, one of Goblin Slayers unique features is that no one gets names. Perhaps it's because due to his obsession he doesn't care to learn or remember any. Everyone is known only as their class, with his childhood friend being known only as "cow girl"

Do you really need a plot or backstory when you look this good?

Goblin.Slayer.full.2271499.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Has anyone seen the movie? I keep seeing the poster thrown around, but my interest in the series isn’t strong enough that I’d try to watch it the moment it got subbed.

Given the movie’s existence, a season 2 wouldn’t be too farfetched to see happen. To be honest, it might actually be a fresh breath of air to watch this instead of that Healer show. 

7 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

Has anyone seen the movie? I keep seeing the poster thrown around, but my interest in the series isn’t strong enough that I’d try to watch it the moment it got subbed.

Given the movie’s existence, a season 2 wouldn’t be too farfetched to see happen. To be honest, it might actually be a fresh breath of air to watch this instead of that Healer show. 

I saw it when FUNi had it on its website.  Fun stuff for the most part, but not essential.  The new girl was interesting enough at least.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 1:12 AM, -Ninja_Jesus- said:

Anyway, the show is fun after the first episode, ya'll are just boring. Hooray for s2!

I stopped watching when the camera honed in on Holy Priestess Big Tits' massive protruding nipples as she described being brutally raped for no real reason immediately after fucking the main character into good health.

It's too grotesquely tone deaf to even be offensive. Not to suggest the first episode was any better, given it was significantly worsr. More I went in for an ironic hate watch and got a mostly generic, milqtoast show lacking the terrible spice of King's Game or Ex-Arm.

Edited by naraku360