UnevenEdge

Need serious advice, cat related

little_girl_lost

My 2 and a half year old male cat Max has been pissing everywhere for a very long time now. I don't think there is any way to stop him at this point. The other cats in the house don't like him, he tries to play withthem, but they hiss and growl at him. Max isn't happy, he doesn't act lethargic , any more than a fat lazy cat does, so I don't think he's sick, not obviously sick anyway.

I dont think I have any choice but to give him up, And I don't mean take him to a shelter,  I think the only option is to put him down. There is no one on earth who wants to take in an adult cat that urinates on everything, and if anyone does take him in, I don't want them to get so mad that they are violent toward him, and he's too babied to just put him outside, he won't survive. And if he does go to a shelter he'll just live in a tiny cage for a few weeks until they put him down.

This is not anything I've taken lightly, this was a very hard post to write, i'm in tears right now.

Serious replies only.

• Sad 1

is he fixed? they usually stop after getting fixed. all that foolish territorial pissing comes from his 2 bits

and thats probably what it is hes pissing to be territorial bc like you said the cats dont get along

• Like 2

You say no one would want him but you'd be surprised. I bet if you posted this emotional appeal on your local whatever Facebook pages where people post about like found dog looking for owner stuff or gossip or even buy sell trade, you might get a taker who you wouldn't have to worry about hurting him out of frustration. 

• Like 3

Never ever euthanize a healthy animal.  Our vet will often take pets that their owners no longer want.  It's how we got two of our family members.  Most vets aren't like that, but they will know where you can take Max where he can find a home. That said, Poof is right: you need to neuter him.  It won't stop all spraying, but it will drastically reduce it.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Poof said:

well if it comes to putting him down, you should try neutering first. he could be doing it in front u bc hes feeling territorial to the humans too

This. Most people refer to it as spraying, an indoor male will do it inside, outdoor males mostly won't bother. Try fixing him first, but it's not a guaranteed solution. Some keep doing it.

2 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Neuter him if that doesn’t work someone will take him. Are the cats that don’t like him spayed or neutered? 

It’s never a good idea to euthanize an animal because it has annoying behaviors. 

Yes. Fixing the cat should be the first thing, for many reasons but this usually takes care of the marking.

Could be diabetes, kidney issues, or a UTI. Also, the older cats get, the more prone to arthritis they are. Try changing your litter box to a flatter one. He could be having a hard time getting into the litter box.

Of course, like others have said, start by taking him to the vet. His problem may be territorial and he needs to be neutered. 

We have three cats, all of which have been fixed. It’s not very expensive. But I would start there before considering putting him down. 

• Like 2

ok. i see the neuter thing has been stated. also, how many cat boxes do you have in the house?

there should be one for each cat and 1 extra. 

you said the cat is 2.5 years, how old are the other cats?

i rescued a little one last year. the 2 current residents are quite a bit older than him. 

they only get pissy when i'm outside with them, but when i'm not in eye sight, they will play with him. 

also, find an orange based neutral cleaner, to spray in the areas he goes to. 

Edited by discolemonade
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, little_girl_lost said:

My 2 and a half year old male cat Max has been pissing everywhere for a very long time now. I don't think there is any way to stop him at this point. The other cats in the house don't like him, he tries to play withthem, but they hiss and growl at him. Max isn't happy, he doesn't act lethargic , any more than a fat lazy cat does, so I don't think he's sick, not obviously sick anyway.

I dont think I have any choice but to give him up, And I don't mean take him to a shelter,  I think the only option is to put him down. There is no one on earth who wants to take in an adult cat that urinates on everything, and if anyone does take him in, I don't want them to get so mad that they are violent toward him, and he's too babied to just put him outside, he won't survive. And if he does go to a shelter he'll just live in a tiny cage for a few weeks until they put him down.

This is not anything I've taken lightly, this was a very hard post to write, i'm in tears right now.

Serious replies only.

Get him fixed.  I have a fixed male that wouldn’t dream of spraying 

• Like 1