UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

2 hours ago, elfie said:

I am not sure I knew that.

Well Lupin arrived and left in a sputter and no one cared.  Then again, I knew about the old Lupin show airing on Toonami and didn't much care either. I just find it annoying that so many people over the years kept hailing the franchise and Toonami can't ever reflect that!  It's the same issue I take with KLK, or Space Dandy, or Soul Eater, or anything else!  Anime shows are praised for years and years yet Toonami can't SHOW that!

I don't know if it's true that "no one cared," but it IS true that it didn't do very well in the ratings, even compared to other series that have aired at 1:30 or 2 AM in the past, or the other Lupin series that aired on [as]. It peaked at 595K total viewers (Episode 3), 357K adults 18-49 (Episode 17), and 251K adults 18-43 (also Episode 17). Believe it or not, it DID actually finish with an average just over 200K 18-34, so I think we'll still see Part 5 on Toonami; the question is "when?" If we're talking simuldub it might even get a timeslot boost, but I don't see a show leaving Toonami to give Lupin the 3rd Part 5 a timeslot, unless it's Gundam IBO, and that's ending in May, not April. But if it IS a TRUE simuldub, I guess it would make sense at 11 PM before Black Clover, moving up the Dragon Balls. Chances are it won't be, though, and mid-to-late block would be more appropriate whenever we get it.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-sunday-cable-originals-network-finals-1-21-2018.html

Also, we now have some evidence that midblock Toonami is doing about as good as or better than other nights, at least in [as]'s classic target demo of adults 18-34: Gundam and Lupin got a 0.30 and a 0.29 respectively, and SuperMansion on Sunday night at 1 AM managed only a 0.25. In all likelihood Hunter x Hunter beat that. It should be noted, however, that SM's 18-49 number of 0.24 just barely edges out the average of Gundam's (0.25) and Lupin's (0.22). We won't know if HxH actually beat SM in 18-49 until the Saturday page update comes out, though.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I don't know if it's true that "no one cared," but it IS true that it didn't do very well in the ratings, even compared to other series that have aired at 1:30 or 2 AM in the past, or the other Lupin series that aired on [as]. It peaked at 595K total viewers (Episode 3), 357K adults 18-49 (Episode 17), and 251K adults 18-43 (also Episode 17). Believe it or not, it DID actually finish with an average just over 200K 18-34, so I think we'll still see Part 5 on Toonami; the question is "when?" If we're talking simuldub it might even get a timeslot boost, but I don't see a show leaving Toonami to give Lupin the 3rd Part 5 a timeslot, unless it's Gundam IBO, and that's ending in May, not April. But if it IS a TRUE simuldub, I guess it would make sense at 11 PM before Black Clover, moving up the Dragon Balls. Chances are it won't be, though, and mid-to-late block would be more appropriate whenever we get it.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-sunday-cable-originals-network-finals-1-21-2018.html

Also, we now have some evidence that midblock Toonami is doing about as good as or better than other nights, at least in [as]'s classic target demo of adults 18-34: Gundam and Lupin got a 0.30 and a 0.29 respectively, and SuperMansion on Sunday night at 1 AM managed only a 0.25. In all likelihood Hunter x Hunter beat that. It should be noted, however, that SM's 18-49 number of 0.24 just barely edges out the average of Gundam's (0.25) and Lupin's (0.22). We won't know if HxH actually beat SM in 18-49 until the Saturday page update comes out, though.

Programming Insider did an early update today with the full ratings

http://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-warriors-rockets-generates-third-watched-abc-nba-saturday-primetime-telecast-date/

Hopefully he responds to my Family Guy request soon

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Black Clover needs its run cut short.

If they don’t like how it’s doing they’ll move it I suppose. Maybe they got it cheap since the production company really wants to make it the next big thing.

Im surprised  they haven’t moved a Jojo yet since I doubt that came cheap.Then again that may be why, they can’t afford for it to do any worse farther down the block

Edited by brianycpht

21 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Programming Insider did an early update today with the full ratings

http://programminginsider.com/saturday-final-ratings-warriors-rockets-generates-third-watched-abc-nba-saturday-primetime-telecast-date/

Hopefully he responds to my Family Guy request soon

Thanks!! And kudos to them for getting this info out early!

Adult Swim PROGRAM Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
10:30 Dragon Ball Super 1068 0.51 658
11:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 844 0.39 507
11:30 Black Clover 626 0.29 374
12:00a Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 540 0.26 338
12:30a Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 502 0.25 319
ProgrammingInsider.com
1:00a Hunter X Hunter (r) 487 0.24 315
1:30a Lupin the 3rd: Part 4 419 0.22 285
2:00a Naruto: Shippuden (r) 427 0.22 287
2:30a Outlaw Star (r) 396 0.20 261
3:00a Cowboy Bebop (r) 434 0.21 274
3:30a Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig (r) 383 0.19 250

Look at Bebop go! In terms of total viewers, this episode beat Lupin, Shippuden, and Outlaw Star. I believe "Black Dog Serenade" always does well!

And Shippuden also beat Lupin in 18-49. Not a good way to go out, Lupin! But at least the average was the best so far in 2018: 557K total viewers and 352K adults 18-49! It's on the right track but it still has yet to get close to the roll that the expanded lineup was on in December before the marathons interjected, which is too bad.

Edited by OwlChemist81

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

so I think we'll still see Part 5 on Toonami; the question is "when?" If we're talking simuldub it might even get a timeslot boost,

Honestly, I wish you'd stop talking about this. The show is not popular enough to justify airing a simuldub of the next part. Also, we don't know who's going to license it (Crunchyroll at least simulcasted the sub of Part IV), but assuming it goes to Discotek like the rest of Lupin... they're a pretty small company. Could they even handle such a project?

There's also the fact that the very concept of a simultaneous dub itself is only found in Texas. :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Honestly, I wish you'd stop talking about this. The show is not popular enough to justify airing a simuldub of the next part. Also, we don't know who's going to license it (Crunchyroll at least simulcasted the sub of Part IV), but assuming it goes to Discotek like the rest of Lupin... they're a pretty small company. Could they even handle such a project?

There's also the fact that the very concept of a simultaneous dub itself is only found in Texas. :ph34r:

True enough. It can happen probably end of the year though. Epcar has been very forthcoming about their desire to do it as well as sort of dropping hints they already do. They started working on Part 4 I’m January of 16 and we didn’t see it until mid  17. I think Toonami having a business relationship (thanks to Discotek hooking them up) with TMS will shorten the wait time, but it’s so up in the air with all the parties involved that we have no idea how long it’ll take. 

15 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

ProgrammingInsider.com

Look at Bebop go! In terms of total viewers, this episode beat Lupin, Shippuden, and Outlaw Star. I believe "Black Dog Serenade" always does well!

And Shippuden also beat Lupin in 18-49. Not a good way to go out, Lupin! But at least the average was the best so far in 2018: 557K total viewers and 352K adults 18-49! It's on the right track but it still has yet to get close to the roll that the expanded lineup was on in December before the marathons interjected, which is too bad.

Shippuden moving up will probably help things overall. This sort of speaks for itself

23 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Well of course the chance of such a thing happening is slim, and I cover it in the rest of the paragraph by saying chances are it won't. Toward the end of this year, late summer at the earliest, is far more likely, and there are plenty of openings in mid-block that Part 5 of Lupin the 3rd could slip into.

That's not completely true. Aniplex did TRY one with Durarara!! x2, but I doubt they'll be doing that again. The fact that FUNimation is dubbing Frankxx is evidence of that.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Naruto needs to move up to follow up Kai.

BC is under-performing at this point, but I think as it continues to go forward it will find a balance and steady audience which could put it in the 12:30 to 1:30 range without much difficulty.

Jojo....

Yeah....

IBO isn't catching on the way I figured it would given the near constant fighting from this point onward.

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

ProgrammingInsider.com

Maybe it's just that I'm still used to seeing the first two shows on the block get 1.1-1.2 million, but that drop from Super to DBZ Kai looks worse than it probably is.

Regardless of that point, I'm sick of Dragon Ball on Toonami.  I could deal with it when it was just DBZ Kai, since I do like Dragon Ball Z, and the show had a definite end point.  But both of the shows on the block are getting to be too much, I think.  It doesn't help that I'm not a huge fan of Super whatsoever.  It keeps me entertained enough when I watch it, but the tone of the show is so different from that of DBZ (or even of Dragon Ball, I'd argue), and a lot of moments in the show genuinely make me cringe when I watch them, that I wouldn't be sad if the show left Toonami.

The drop from DBZ Kai to Black Clover leaves me stunned.  I want to give the show a chance, but if the ratings continue to be like that, then it needs to be moved back. 

• Like 1

If you had told me this time last year when Toonami had just fought successfully to get 11:30 PM back not once, not twice, but THREE times after losing it to Family Guy, that in a year we'd see a non-DB show end up at 11:30 and only pull 600K, and for everything to be just fine and Dandy, I'd wonder what the hell you were smoking.

But apparently that's the reality we live in now. Toonami had such a GREAT 2015 and 2016 that apparently WON THE WAR for Saturday night and they can get away with what would have been considered cancel-worthy 3 years ago!

That said, I hope Black Clover improves just a LITTLE next week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

If you had told me this time last year when Toonami had just fought successfully to get 11:30 PM back not once, not twice, but THREE times after losing it to Family Guy, that in a year we'd see a non-DB show end up at 11:30 and only pull 600K, and for everything to be just fine and Dandy, I'd wonder what the hell you were smoking.

But apparently that's the reality we live in now. Toonami had such a GREAT 2015 and 2016 that apparently WON THE WAR for Saturday night and they can get away with what would have been considered cancel-worthy 3 years ago!

I bet Super needing to stay in prime time per contract is what’s keeping Toonami from moving back later.The split premiere didn’t work for them so this is the next best thing. 

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Not quite.... Toonami's ratings suck. But Cartoon Networks ratings suck even harder. They're at record lows. Adult swim outdraws what is supposed to be their main focus, daytime kid cartoons. All they can air is TTG endlessly because they got nothing.

So it's all relative. The more their mainstay programming sucks a fat one, the better Toonami looks.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ginguy said:

BC is growing from last week, so the trend seems to be the right way.

Its retention is in the disaster area though. Low 70's. And that was following a week where Kai had trouble retaining Super. You can't keep pissing away half your audience on two shows.

You're not wrong that it's all relative. I just noticed a very interesting tidbit from the Programming Insider report:

Dragon Ball Super (ADSM, 10:30 PM, 30 min.)
– 1.068 million viewers (#29)
– 0.51 A18-49 (#2)

That #2 isn't #2 among cable originals--it's #2 across ALL CABLE in prime time Saturday! That means literally that the only show on cable that was more watched by adults 18-49 the entire 7 PM-11 PM portion of the night was Live PD.

As long as Dragon Ball Super keeps doing stuff like that, Toonami has the 10:30 PM slot on lockdown! It turned out to be a great move for the block, though it needs a better bridge to the part after Midnight than DBZ Kai and Black Clover.

7 hours ago, Daos said:

Not quite.... Toonami's ratings suck. But Cartoon Networks ratings suck even harder. They're at record lows. Adult swim outdraws what is supposed to be their main focus, daytime kid cartoons. All they can air is TTG endlessly because they got nothing.

So it's all relative. The more their mainstay programming sucks a fat one, the better Toonami looks.

Makes me think that they need to Re-merge AS and CN, put Lazzo, Manning, and Demarco in charge of the whole thing.  Make it an all ages channel with a young adult focus with obviously mature content at night. It seems they lost the battle for the kids.  Maybe that’s not good for Nielsen though, I don’t know?

Edited by brianycpht
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Daos said:

JoJo may soil the sheets, and Black Clover may diarrhea the mattress, but Teen Titans Go reruns drench the whole damn room in shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lawliet720 said:

I'd arue it should replace DBZ Kai Final Chapters' slot.

I agree with this, if they don't have FLCL S2 or another really big show (Boruto/MHA/Kabaneri/AoT S3) ready to go, let Naruto do his ninja thing. The filler hell could even be skipped out on if they wanted to make a real investment, but the filler is almost finished.

4 hours ago, Ginguy said:

I agree with this, if they don't have FLCL S2 or another really big show (Boruto/MHA/Kabaneri/AoT S3) ready to go, let Naruto do his ninja thing. The filler hell could even be skipped out on if they wanted to make a real investment, but the filler is almost finished.

Naruto is just one of those shows people just watch like DBZ. These filler episodes, while light and simple, are all episodic and not difficult to follow at all. Even the heavy on plot canon episodes do well and this year outperform the show proceeding it. It seems to have a built in audience and will boost the back end a little when it plays at 1:30.

On 1/25/2018 at 8:39 PM, brianycpht said:

Naruto is just one of those shows people just watch like DBZ. These filler episodes, while light and simple, are all episodic and not difficult to follow at all. Even the heavy on plot canon episodes do well and this year outperform the show proceeding it. It seems to have a built in audience and will boost the back end a little when it plays at 1:30.

I never thought I'd actually suggest they move Naruto toward the front but I honestly think Shippuden would hold DBZ Kai better than Black Clover and with Toonami starting earlier they can feasibly air Naruto Shippuden early without pushing new content into the 2am hour. DBZ audiences don't seem to take to Black Clover but Naruto could serve as a bridge.

Edited by Sketch

52 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I never thought I'd actually suggest they move Naruto toward the front but I honestly think Shippuden would hold DBZ Kai better than Black Clover and with Toonami starting earlier they can feasibly air Naruto Shippuden early without pushing new content into the 2am hour. DBZ audiences don't seem to take to Black Clover but Naruto could serve as a bridge.

If they kept sliding Shippuden later and later and later and it's stayed where it's at for so long, why would they suddenly put it so early?  It's where it's at because of its performance, or lack thereof.

That's probably wrong. What I'm seeing is an 11-4 run with an old schedule (no Black Clover yet) and no episode titles. Things can be sluggish to update after a new month passes, so you should check back there in a little while to see if it's changed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blatch said:

That's probably wrong. What I'm seeing is an 11-4 run with an old schedule (no Black Clover yet) and no episode titles. Things can be sluggish to update after a new month passes, so you should check back there in a little while to see if it's changed.

I looked today as well same thing 

I wouldn't doubt it if Black clover and jojo cause a reduce in the schedule 

7 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Your XStupidity schedule WILL change. It may not have been wrong the night of, and that's commendable.

DirecTV didn't have episode names or numbers at all one day back in October.

Well since gits is now on Starz I wouldn't doubt if aot is true

2 minutes ago, Misaka said:

https://www.starz.com/series/31028

They have a bunch more as well 

Wow, so this is what became of Manga Entertainment's website?

To be fair, I've known that Manga was able to stream GITS:SAC for a while, but for some reason Adult Swim owns it.

Hmm, looks different than that. Why Starz would have Naruto and InuYasha is beyond me...

Just now, OwlChemist81 said:

Wow, so this is what became of Manga Entertainment's website?

To be fair, I've known that Manga was able to stream GITS:SAC for a while, but for some reason Adult Swim owns it.

Hmm, looks different than that. Why Starz would have Naruto and InuYasha is beyond me...

More than likely bought the rights to it and is using it to prevent other companies from using it

9 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I don't know why they would have the first 2 seasons though.

They also seem to have Buso Renkin and Vampire Knight. This is evidence of some sort of bond that Hulu has with Starz.

Manga hasn't been doing that well lately so they might of done a private sale and Starz now owns them

Thats my theory

• Like 1

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-1-27-2018.html

I know they say ratings don’t matter as much anymore.. but I never thought I’d see 300k viewers in the midnight hour!

But to be fair, Nick at Nite has a bunch of cable premieres of decade old episodes of Two and a Half Men going (800k at 1am). Good luck taking that on Toonami??.

Edited by brianycpht

On 1/29/2018 at 2:01 AM, Sketch said:

Yeah, the audience wants what it wants. If Naruto holds DBZ better than all the other shows can, put it there. To me it feels more natural to go from the light shonen stuff to the dark violent stuff (Jojo, Gundam, and sort of HxH now) to Naruto.

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic