UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

12 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Besides, Toonami views March 17 as its birthday more than it does St. Patrick's Day.

Fuck, I just realized that's on a Saturday this year.

On-topic: And do my eyes deceive me, or were the ratings for this marathon slightly better than usual?

Edited by Gyaos
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jman said:

Anime Strike, Amazon’s exclusive anime Service, has been rolled into Amazon Prime proper.

Meaning another opponent for Toonami snapping up exclusives.

You say this as if it's guaranteed they'll keep acquiring new anime.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jman said:

Anime Strike, Amazon’s exclusive anime Service, has been rolled into Amazon Prime proper.

Meaning another opponent for Toonami snapping up exclusives.

Wait prime has anime now?

Shit now my membership actually has value 

It sure is looking that way.

Rank 1/6/18 12/16/17 Chg
Dragon Ball Super   #4   #9 +5
DBZ Kai Final Ch.   #5   #12 +7
Black Clover   #14   #15 +1
JoJo's BA: SC   #27   #20  -7
Gundam IBO   #32   #31  -1
Lupin the 3rd   #40   #45 +5

But at least it went up a notch in the rankings this week. However...

Side-by-side 1/6/18 12/16/17 %Chg
Dragon Ball Super 971,000 1,236,000  -21%
DBZ Kai Final Ch. 869,000 1,103,000  -21%
Black Clover 642,000 836,000  -23%
JoJo's BA: SC 530,000 617,000  -14%
Gundam IBO 462,000 501,000  -8%
Lupin the 3rd 427,000 422,000 +1%

Adults 18-49 1/6/18 (est.) 12/16/17 %Chg
Dragon Ball Super 590,000 697,000  -15%
DBZ Kai Final Ch. 513,000 623,000  -18%
Black Clover 397,000 480,000  -17%
JoJo's BA: SC 346,000 385,000  -10%
Gundam IBO 295,000 302,000  -2%
Lupin the 3rd 256,000 248,000 +3%

Adults 18-34 (est.) 1/6/18 12/16/17 %Chg
Dragon Ball Super 415,000 449,000  -8%
DBZ Kai Final Ch. 367,000 415,000  -12%
Black Clover 272,000 299,000  -9%
JoJo's BA: SC 245,000 251,000  -2%
Gundam IBO 211,000 204,000 +3%
Lupin the 3rd 183,000 156,000 +17%

It REALLY tumbled in terms of total viewers vs. the last normal lineup 3 weeks ago. Only Lupin was a winner in gains from 3 weeks ago, and only big in 18-34...

Edited by OwlChemist81

Also, this...

Year-To-Year 1/7/17 Viewers 1/6/18 Viewers %Chg
10:30 PM Family Guy 1,316,000 Dragon Ball Super 971,000  -26%
11:00 PM Family Guy 1,629,000 DBZ Kai FC 869,000  -47%
11:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 1,369,000 Black Clover 642,000  -53%
12:00 AM DBZ Kai Final Ch. 1,124,000 JoJo's BA: SC 530,000  -53%
12:30 AM JoJo's Bizarre Adv. 900,000 Gundam IBO 462,000  -49%
1:00 AM Gundam Unicorn 747,000 H x H ???,000 #VALUE!
1:30 AM Hunter x Hunter 679,000 Lupin the 3rd 427,000  -37%

f4b.jpg

2 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I think you're seriously overestimating the audience of Devilman Crybaby on Netflix.

Hell, it probably doesn't even have a dub yet.

It did.

It also blew up the Twittersphere.

Even so, football playoffs were on too.

Yeah, you're not wrong. Between the new Devilman show and Pop Team Epic (now streaming on VRV!), there was an absolute tidal wave of publicity for... any anime not on Toonami. And the Dandy announcement didn't help this at all.

I also saw Cristina Vee talk about being in the dub for it, so Al is wrong on that front.

Edited by Blatch

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=19982

Ok, ok, I stand corrected. But it seems it was released in its entirety on the 'Flix on FRIDAY. That probably didn't do much to hurt Toonami's ratings, and if it did, you can bet it won't be as much of an issue in coming weeks.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-1-6-2018.html

www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-12-16-2017.html

Live PD and NFL Playoff games are more prime suspects, and unfortunately they'll still be a thorn in Toonami's side next week, as CBS has another game which will air right into the Dragon Balls. But then again, NFL and Live PD were both a thing in December as well, so maybe the reason for the dropoff WAS Devilman. DBS actually edged out Live PD on 12/16/17, but the NFL game was watched by HUGE amount more viewers last Saturday than 3 weeks ago. So I think it's much more reasonable to infer that the NFL did the bulk of the damage, as the game, watched by over 22 MILLION people pulled a 5.3 in Adults 18-34 and a 7.0 in Adults 18-49, while on 12/16, those numbers were just under 7 MILLION, 2.14, and 1.60. That's a huge difference, so in conclusion I blame the NFL, NOT Devilman nor Live PD.

ShowBuzzDaily updated; full total viewers now available:

TOTAL VIEWERS RETENTION    

10:30 PM Dragon Ball Super 971,000  
11:00 PM DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters 869,000  (89.50%)
11:30 PM Black Clover 642,000  (73.88%)
12:00 AM JJBA: Stardust Crusaders 530,000  (82.55%)
12:30 AM Gundam IBO S2 462,000  (87.17%)
1:00 AM Hunter × Hunter 454,000  (98.27%)
1:30 AM Lupin The 3rd 427,000  (94.05%)
2:00 AM Naruto: Shippuden 384,000  (89.93%)
2:30 AM Outlaw Star HD 386,000  (100.52%)
3:00 AM Cowboy Bebop HD 407,000  (105.44%)
3:30 AM GITS: SAC 2nd Gig 401,000  (98.53%)
TOONAMI TOTAL VIEWERS AVERAGE -  539,364  

Way to go, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop!

Lol they might as well just cancel their regular schedule and run DBZ marathons. Better yet, run DBZ marathons for the normal schedule then on holidays they can run their regular schedule.

But they can't really be surprised that BC isn't doing well. No one wanted another long running shonen, especially not one with the amount of negative hype BC had.

I really hope their new show that just got delayed is something good, they are long overdue for a good decision.

• Sad 2

Let's face it, if Jojo weekly sheet shitting isn't bad enough to warrant dismissal, then BC getting off to a slow start isn't that bad. I think BC will find its audience once it gets rid of the training wheels, though honestly if they were gonna go for a long shounen, they should have gone with Fairy Tail.

• Like 2

http://programminginsider.com/saturday-cable-final-nationals-titans-chiefs-espn-tops-day-least-watched-nfl-playoff-game-six-years/

Notice they have stopped posting Family Guy's ratings, and our own Sketch has asked for them so we can see if Super dropped from there. Also, check out those rankings for the first 5 Toonami shows across all cable (not just originals). Not necessarily encouraging...

Adult Swim PROGRAM Viewers (000) A1849 rating A1849 (000)
10:30 Dragon Ball Super 971 0.46 589
11:00 Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters 869 0.40 511
11:30 Black Clover 642 0.31 396
12:00a Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 530 0.27 342
12:30a Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 462 0.24 303
ProgrammingInsider.com
1:00a Hunter X Hunter (r) 454 0.21 272
1:30a Lupin the 3rd: Part 4 427 0.20 261
2:00a Naruto: Shippuden (r) 384 0.18 230
2:30a Outlaw Star (r) 386 0.17 222
3:00a Cowboy Bebop (r) 407 0.19 245
3:30a Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig (r) 401 0.19 239
Edited by OwlChemist81

The total viewers average was 539,364. There are only 2 times the block was lower in 2017: the 11 PM-4 AM block which ared on 11/11/17 (532K) and the Cowboy Bebop marathon (12/23/17, 426K).

As for Adults 18-49, the average was 328,182. There were 6 times the block was lower in 2017: the aforementioned, as well as 12/9; 10/28 (Samurai Jack Season 5's 2nd Marathon); 7/29; and 7/1 (Attack on Titan Season 2 Marathon).

The Yearly Block Average across all timeslots in 2017 was 664,507. That's way down from 2016's average of 908,473. Meanwhile, with Adults 18-49, the average for all timeslots in 2017 was 411,413, which is also way down from 2016's 530,813. In both cases, so far 2018's average is way down, but it's of course important to remember it's only one week so far.

I really hope Toonami will be able to stay their course for the whole year, but it seems like things can't get much worse, or else they might not be able to. However, given the increase throughout most of December prior to the holiday marathons' interruption, this seems like a bump in the road.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Well the question is... how many blunders can Toonami make before it causes a massive enough drop off to get the block reduced or canceled? We've apparently hit bottom and it's not low enough for them to make any changes.

I say it depends on cable trends as a whole.  If Netflix keeps pulling anime wet dreams out of their asses and presents them to the public at large, giving them mainstream attention, Dandy reruns aren’t going to do jack.

Speaking of which, a damn Godzilla anime movie is debuting at the end of the month from the Urobutcher.

Edited by Jman
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Jman said:

I say it depends on cable trends as a whole.  If Netflix keeps pulling anime wet dreams out of their asses and presents them to the public at large, giving them mainstream attention, Dandy reruns aren’t going to do jack.

Speaking of which, a damn Godzilla anime movie is debuting at the end of the month from the Urobutcher.

Well the Dandy thing is just filler airing at the 2 am slot. But their new show really needs to be something good this time or they're just cementing themselves as a block that shows almost nothing but the bottom of the barrel. Another screwup like Ghoul or Clover is really going to do some damage to a block that's already at record lows.

Oh and that Bebop marathon was the lowest ratings ever? That 426k average is going to be hard to top.

I don't understand it, because on paper, this is a DREAM lineup! Sure, Black Clover is a poor substitute for Blue Exorcist (which wasn't even that great to begin with), but 2 Dragon Ball series, JoJo, Gundam, AND Hunter x Hunter? One thing I'd say about Toonami is they have managed to scoop up some of the best FRANCHISES, and at that, they're doing exceptionally well, even if the ratings are kinda rough right now. Gundam has an asston of series, and even though we don't know the details of the deal they made to air them, I'll wager IBO isn't the last we'll see of Gundams on this block. Meanwhile, JoJo and Hunter x Hunter still have enough episodes left to get us through 2019 or 2020. But with ratings this low, CAN [as] really be involved in the continuation of one or both series? We've got Lupin Part 5 coming out before JoJo Part 5, and that's a problem.

Stardust Crusaders has been a disappointment, but I still feel they need to finish it. And a Gundam series COULD STILL perk up the ratings in the future like a bolt of lightning. And finally, hopefully this new series, whatever it might be, will be just what Toonami needs at like 11 PM to revitalize its ratings.

• Like 1

And thus, the true depressing thing about all this. They finally got the dream line-up people wanted from 2012 and even expanded the block close to its 2012 length....... but at the cost of delaying it for 5.3 years, and welcomed by dismal ratings.

I kind of love how Phantom Blood tried to be written very serious on top of the ridiculousness of it, and then Stardust Crusaders is written like it's so DONE with everything that they don't even hide how over the top and silly it all is! :D

Edited by elfie
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Daos said:

Well the Dandy thing is just filler airing at the 2 am slot. But their new show really needs to be something good this time or they're just cementing themselves as a block that shows almost nothing but the bottom of the barrel. Another screwup like Ghoul or Clover is really going to do some damage to a block that's already at record lows.

Oh and that Bebop marathon was the lowest ratings ever? That 426k average is going to be hard to top.

I've gone all the way back to the beginning of 2013, and I can't find anything lower. But Bebop is one of those series that wasn't expensive for them, so I guess that makes it ok.

The "unholy megabomb" back on 12/13/14 averaged 536K. Last week's average was 539K, which is still higher. BUT if you compare the common portion of both blocks, the 11:30-4 AM portion, last week's was lower, by almost 100K (555K to 455K)!

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

But with ratings this low, CAN [as] really be involved in the continuation of one or both series? We've got Lupin Part 5 coming out before JoJo Part 5, and that's a problem.

Why? :ph34r:

I think JoJo's is still doing fine. Part 3 will be aired to its conclusion and they'll probably pick up Diamond is Unbreakable before the year ends, if not in the first quarter of 2019. However, considering that David Production is working on a Captain Tsubasa anime and it's apparently going to last quite a while, there is a pretty good chance there might not be more JJBA anime when they finish Part 4. But the franchise is still very profitable and could have more greenlit at any time, so [as] shouldn't need to do anything about it.

The question I was asking was could [as] be involved in making continuations to JoJo and Hunter x Hunter, when the time comes for those respective series to run out of episodes in Japan? This would be unprecedented for both, but maybe they wouldn't be stonewalled as badly as they were with Bleach.

Bleach had much better ratings and it didn't happen, so I doubt unless there is interest in continuing both currently-airing-on-[as] adaptations in Japan, [as]/Toonami will be able to bankroll either. They'll probably just move on to other series after they reach their current unfinished conclusions. But hopefully we'll hear something on both fronts this year.

I would say reruns at 3 AM for one or both series when the time comes IS possible if there are no continuations, but I guess that also depends on the length of the deal with Viz. Obviously DBZ Kai is first up of the long-runners for the potential of THAT treatment!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Haha dream lineup? Maybe if we were in Japan. The US anime audience has generally low interest in their entire current lineup.

Compare Mal popularity.... Akame Ga Kill... 26

Jojo Stardust crusaders....  338.

Black Clover... 429

S2 Iron blooded orphans... 1464

Lupin... 2220

The only shows they have that are popular on MAL are Naruto, Bebop and HxH. HxH's source material is ancient with an author that seems to not care about finishing the series. It's frequently beaten by Naruto. Naruto is over and already on a sequel series. Bebop has been run to death and judging from the lowest ratings ever.... no one wants to see that again.

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

And a Gundam series COULD STILL perk up the ratings in the future like a bolt of lightning. 

Hahaha no =P 

Nice wordplay with the Gundam Thunderbolt series though! It's current popularity on MAL is 2334.

Stop trying to make fetch happen. Gundam is not a thing in the US anymore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That is not what he was talking about, because quality is not linear with overall popularity. Of course, the entire topic is subjective anyway. ^_^

Also, was Gundam even that big at its absolute peak? I guess Wing was popular when it aired, but has become more of a cult show in today's climate. Then you have G Gundam, which I occasionally see people waxing lyrical about, but isn't really in the same class as most stuff in the franchise.

20 minutes ago, Blatch said:

That is not what he was talking about, because quality is not linear with overall popularity. Of course, the entire topic is subjective anyway. ^_^

Also, was Gundam even that big at its absolute peak? I guess Wing was popular when it aired, but has become more of a cult show in today's climate. Then you have G Gundam, which I occasionally see people waxing lyrical about, but isn't really in the same class as most stuff in the franchise.

G is so different from the others it doesn’t really fit in.  It has similar themes, but the execution is that of a wuxia Film.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daos said:

Haha dream lineup? Maybe if we were in Japan. The US anime audience has generally low interest in their entire current lineup.

Black Clover... 429

Lupin... 2220

The only shows they have that are popular on MAL are Naruto, Bebop and HxH. HxH's source material is ancient with an author that seems to not care about finishing the series. It's frequently beaten by Naruto. Naruto is over and already on a sequel series. Bebop has been run to death and judging from the lowest ratings ever.... no one wants to see that again.

Hahaha no =P 

Nice wordplay with the Gundam Thunderbolt series though! It's current popularity on MAL is 2334.

Thanks! But MAL is only ONE metric, and we must consider others.

We also must consider if we want "popular" or we want GOOD. They're not always equivalent. IBO might be in the thousands in MAL ranking but on ANN most reviews are in the B- to B+ category. And Lupin usually reviews as an A+, but it's #2220 on MAL!? But is this specifically Part 4 or the entire franchise?

Also, the problem with MAL is there's no distinction between sub and dub. Sure, those series might be ranked in the thousands, but in terms of VIABLE TOONAMI shows? Probably closer to 300 or 500, right? Even so, what ARE some high-ranked MAL shows you would suggest for Toonami? Are we sure their popularity has nothing to do with how good they are? These are all pertinent questions. Also, MAL isn't completely definitive among anime fans; I'm not even on it. In short, the metric is flawed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some nice things Thunderbolt has going for it though:

1. It's short. It's got like 8 18-minute episodes, which would be over with in a couple of months on Toonami.

2. The average length of a Toonami show is 22 minutes, so you've got a handy built-in slot there for a nice miniseries. Just imagine a Toonami block that runs both Thunderbolt and Twilight Axis side-by-side! Or, we could make like the spice of life that is variety, and play some lengthy music videos there instead.

3. It's called the "darkest" of the contemporary Gundam series. That makes it a great fit for [as] Toonami!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Ideally you'd want popular AND good. But if you can only get one, you'd have to go with popular, at least for the first 4 slots. They are trying to run a block and keep it afloat here. The back end it doesn't really matter so you can float a few unknowns there, but the first few shows need to be popular stuff that people have not only heard of but like enough to tune into on a weekly basis. Stuff that keeps the eyeballs on the screen.

Unfortunately when you air stuff like Black Clover, you're airing something that is both unpopular, and poorly rated. It's 427 now on popularity....  5471 on the ranking. Meaning there's over 5000 anime that are more well reviewed than Black Clover. Even Dimension W pulled a 2312 ranking.

The Lupin I listed was for part 3.

Yeah no metric is perfect obviously, but it's better than nothing. Shonen tend to be way over rated/ranked on Mal from what I've seen. Gintama has 4 of the top 10 spots for rank for some reason.

But when you look at the popularity list, it's stuff we've heard of. Out of the first 15 shows I think.. .8 aired on Toonami?

Death Note, AOT, SAO, FA brotherhood,  Angel Beats,  Code Geass, Steins Gate, Tokyo Ghoul, Naruto, One Punch Man, Future Diary, No Game No life, Toradora, Blue Exorcist, Elfen lied.

As we saw with TG, not everything popular is going to be good. But showing popular stuff is a better recipe for success than playing stuff that's not a blip on anyone's radar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daos said:

Black Clover... 429

Lupin... 2220

Hahaha no =P 

Why are you ragging on HxH? It usually stops the bleeding from lesser shows and frequently has retention numbers in the 90s. Naruto being more well-known doesn't hurt it either, so I don't even know what that point was about. Yes, Togashi goes on hiatus a lot, but the anime reaches a good stopping point, and I haven't heard any complaints about the manga's quality decreasing. I'm probably more sympathetic towards him because I have health issues including chronic back and joint pain which are aggravated heavily by drawing to the point that I had to give it up for eight years. 

• Thanks 2

It has high retention because it airs after BC, Jojo and Gundam. There's no viewers left at that point. Naruto was the lowest rated show of the night and it still had 90 percent retention.

Pretty sure the back pain thing was just an excuse, as time went on most people came to the conclusion that he got burnt out. Unless he's been bed ridden for the last 5 years.

I'd say HxH is the closest thing Toonami has right now that is both "new, good, and popular".  That's kind of sad, but it's either Sturgeon's Law taking into effect, or the teams' stubbornness to change the way they view show choices/what they are able to air.

Uh.... backpain an EXCUSE??  I'd really comb through your sources to make sure you aren't just coming off as insensitive. He has had multiple problems here FOR YEARS. EVEN OVER A DECADE.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

It's not exactly new when the current series is a remake of the last HxH anime that aired in 1999. I know me and a few other people on here would argue against the "good" part. Popular.... maybe when this started airing back in 2011? =P

• Like 1

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic