UnevenEdge

The Toonami Ratings Thread 1.0 :You are on a new board

StarPanda

36 minutes ago, Daos said:

It has high retention because it airs after BC, Jojo and Gundam. There's no viewers left at that point. Naruto was the lowest rated show of the night and it still had 90 percent retention.

Pretty sure the back pain thing was just an excuse, as time went on most people came to the conclusion that he got burnt out. Unless he's been bed ridden for the last 5 years.

Someone else can explain to you how ratings work, but I'll do the world a favor and educate you about health issues related to backs and artistic jobs. If you're doing something repetitively for decades, it will fuck up parts of your body, and that shit stays jacked up for life. All it does is get worse. Back pain can especially be hell because it can affect every part of your body. Togashi seems to have a better system of dealing with it since he can get out a volume before going on hiatus now, but it's probably still hard for him to do that much. Older generations of artists didn't concentrate on keeping up with their health, and I've only recently seen them be honest about how much pain they're in while working and warning the younger ones to take better care of themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Daos, glad I Know how to respond to you the next time you get back pain, or a leg sores, or neck sores, or allergies, or a cold, wondering if you'll be able to survive the next decades of your life having to lie in bed, depressed, soaking in medical bill debt, wondering if the rest of the world is advancing without you, in a country that thinks minor conditions transforms the victim into a liability and would just like to let you rot:  ... say "oh you just don't care about work".  Like I had to for the past several months. Health is a fuckin serious issue.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 2

I've just spent about 45 minutes looking at Twitter responses to a question raised by Senator Sanders to other users asking if they have Universal Health Care in their countries and how well it's working out for them. Really eye-opening stuff! And "medical travel" in which US Citizens travel to other countries to see the doctor for less IS a thing now, so there's that.

But back to Toonami, we were just talking about JoJo Part 5, right? Well...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2018-01-11/jojo-bizarre-adventure-golden-wind-trademark-filed-in-japan/.126321

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

Someone else can explain to you how ratings work, but I'll do the world a favor and educate you about health issues related to backs and artistic jobs. If you're doing something repetitively for decades, it will fuck up parts of your body, and that shit stays jacked up for life. All it does is get worse. Back pain can especially be hell because it can affect every part of your body. Togashi seems to have a better system of dealing with it since he can get out a volume before going on hiatus now, but it's probably still hard for him to do that much. Older generations of artists didn't concentrate on keeping up with their health, and I've only recently seen them be honest about how much pain they're in while working and warning the younger ones to take better care of themselves. 

That seems unnecessary since I just told you how it works. Shows that are later in the night have better retention than the shows earlier in the night, due to the fact that the ratings fall off a cliff after Kai. Holding 90 percent of one of the Dragonball shows is good, holding 90 percent of Gundam isn't that special. The difference between HxH and the last show on the block was about 50k viewers. The difference between HxH and the first show on the block was over 500k viewers. It once ran third in the lineup, now it's in the 6th spot. If they think it can do better than Jojo or Gundam they should feel free to move it up.

If you're asking if I believe that Togashi is so completely crippled by pain that he can't work for more than a month a year after 4 or 5 years then I would say... it's possible but highly improbable. Fans made a reddit thread about him years ago and a lot of people who have followed his work came to the conclusion that it had a lot more to do with burnout than him being permanently crippled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Daos said:

That seems unnecessary since I just told you how it works. Shows that are later in the night have better retention than the shows earlier in the night, due to the fact that the ratings fall off a cliff after Kai. Holding 90 percent of one of the Dragonball shows is good, holding 90 percent of Gundam isn't that special. The difference between HxH and the last show on the block was about 50k viewers. The difference between HxH and the first show on the block was over 500k viewers. It once ran third in the lineup, now it's in the 6th spot. If they think it can do better than Jojo or Gundam they should feel free to move it up.

If you're asking if I believe that Togashi is so completely crippled by pain that he can't work for more than a month a year after 4 or 5 years then I would say... it's possible but highly improbable. Fans made a reddit thread about him years ago and a lot of people who have followed his work came to the conclusion that it had a lot more to do with burnout than him being permanently crippled.

e1feea2df73447797ac9ebf37b09848a--randy-

On 1/11/2018 at 7:55 PM, Daos said:

If Togashi wanted to quit, he hit a solid ending point 40+ chapters ago. He didn't HAVE to keep going for people to be satisfied. The current arc is great, so I don't mind him continuing, but the notion that he's burned out rather than old and working in an industry that has notoriously bad work conditions is, frankly, utterly retarded.

Edited by naraku360

I’m not touching this with a ten foot poll.

So, Godzilla: Monster Planet drops tomorrow and the big opposition from Toonami is Space Dandy reruns.

Also a new Lupin III series was announced but after the tepid reception of Lupin: The Italian Job I don’t see DeMarco getting it.

Meanwhile Screamy McScreamington fails at ratings.

But as for Lupin, I'd say there's a chance his absence from Toonami after Part 4 ends this weekend could be shorter than you think. Remember how Lupin replaced Gundam Unicorn last year? Could history repeat itself this year with a Black Clover-style simuldub of Lupin the 3rd Part 5 replacing Gundam IBO in May?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-16/lupin-iii-5th-anime-series-reveals-staff-april-debut-modern-setting/.126478

Do you think they consider Lupin Part 4 a failure like Tenchi Muyo! GXP? I wouldn't say so. They were probably embarrassed about the content of GXP, while Lupin was damn near a masterpiece. Based on that alone, I think they might still air Lupin Part 5. As for replacing Gundam IBO, if FLCL2 is going to expand Toonami to 10 PM, that would still make it the 6th show in the lineup. Lupin Part 4 alternated between the 7th show and the 6th show on the lineup, moving up to 1:30 from 2 AM one time and staying there, but as Toonami's beginning time changed from 11 PM to 11:30, then back to 11 PM and then 10:30 PM, that also shook Lupin's position in the lineup up from 7th at first, then 6th with the loss of 11 PM, staying 6th once everything moved up on 7/29/17, then finally back to 7th on 12/2/17.

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Do you think they consider Lupin Part 4 a failure like Tenchi Muyo! GXP? I wouldn't say so. They were probably embarrassed about the content of GXP, while Lupin was damn near a masterpiece. Based on that alone, I think they might still air Lupin Part 5. As for replacing Gundam IBO, if FLCL2 is going to expand Toonami to 10 PM, that would still make it the 6th show in the lineup. Lupin Part 4 alternated between the 7th show and the 6th show on the lineup, moving up to 1:30 from 2 AM one time and staying there, but as Toonami's beginning time changed from 11 PM to 11:30, then back to 11 PM and then 10:30 PM, that also shook Lupin's position in the lineup up from 7th at first, then 6th with the loss of 11 PM, staying 6th once everything moved up on 7/29/17, then finally back to 7th on 12/2/17.

We have no idea if the financials involved. If they got a good deal on it, it may be considered a success. If they paid a lot of money for it, then perhaps not. It was never moved down for one thing.  Another factor is that they now have a relationship with TMS directly which would make getting the TV rights for part 5 easier.

• Like 1

Well, I have no idea if they'll get Lupin Part 5 at any point, but I'm pretty sure it won't be immediately after Gundam: IBO ends. I think it's more likely they air a one-off short series (as in, 12 episodes) so they can roll right into Attack on Titan S3 afterward. 

I think it's a LOT more likely that AOT S3 will air at 11 PM, replacing DBZ Kai. That ends in June or July, right? Either that will replace it, or Boruto will. S2 got a raw deal, premiering at 12:30, and I just don't see that happening for S3. Remember, AOT HAS already aired at 11 PM once as part of the S2 marathon.

Edited by OwlChemist81

DBZ Kai will last until June 16, according to my projections. They won't be able to replace it one-for-one, and I don't see it being one show removed unless FLCL 2 suffers a delay and airs right after it. My most current prediction matrix actually has what I described for JoJo's instead, with Darling in the Frankxx and then Drifters airing after it before AoT S3 comes in during August. Meanwhile, FLCL 2 replaces Gundam outright, and it gets replaced itself by the "Battle for Egypt" arc of Stardust Crusaders.

Oh, and I should probably mention... I don't think it's gonna be Blood Blockade as the next new show. Those so-called "legal issues" are more likely to come out of a SimulDub, at least when I look at it.

• Like 1

Wait, why would JoJo take a break after Episode 24 of Stardust Crusaders? I don't see that happening, but if they need a timeslot for what they were going to air at 1:30, I GUESS it COULD work at Midnight. Maybe this bit of trouble they've run into makes it worthy of midnight after all. I doubt it would have been at 1:30 AM.

FLCL2 would be an ideal replacement for DBZ Kai, and 6 weeks later AOT S3 could air. But maybe we DO get the simuldub of AOT S3, and maybe it even starts for us on June 30th or July 7th? Then you would only need ONE special week instead of DBZ Kai. Or maybe we get 2 marathons on St. Patrick's Day and Memorial Day, which would bump its finale to June 23, and then either June 30 or July 7 would start AOT S3, possibly BEFORE Japan this time. And if Adult Swim is smart, they'll mandate that FUNimation do it Dragon Ball Super-style this time and not stream dubbed episodes except every 12-13 weeks. 

Edited by OwlChemist81

Call me crazy, but I believe it could be that new Batman anime. That would be a HUGE mistake for Toonami to miss its shot at, especially because its parent network's sister network's most overplayed show happens to be in that franchise too.

So maybe we'll get that replacing JoJo at Midnight. We can only hope...

EDIT: According to my research, it's called Batman Ninja, and it's a BATMAN MOVIE. So that's a no-go for Toonami, at least not anytime soon. Might have a theatrical release this summer, then show up in like 2020 or something.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Haha 1

The week before last, the NFL destroyed Toonami in the ratings. Last week was even worse:

(Recommended viewing on mobile in landscape mode)

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-saturday-cable-originals-network-finals-1-13-2018.html

Final Cable 2018 Jan 13.SAT

Over 26 MILLION people were watching the NFL AFC divisional playoff quarterfinal, and it drew HUGE numbers in Adult Swim's target demos of Men 18-34, 18-49, and Men 18-49. That explains why Toonami's originals still did comparatively well amongst other cable originals in those demos but not as well as usual, and the total viewership after Midnight was just plain anemic, well below 12/13/14 Hellsing Ultimate X levels. This current mini-arc of Dragon Ball Super just didn't draw the eyeballs for its one airing despite a promising start, but I believe the NFL is largely to blame for that, and will not be a factor this weekend, so maybe it's finally Toonami's time to shine again? Yes, it will have to compete with the mind-boggling juggernaught that is Live PD, and with the UFC, but those aren't "monster" level competition events like the NFL's few Saturday night football games!

Edited by OwlChemist81

Funny, there were people calling out both BC and JoJo for soiling the sheets, as both ironically contained a plethora of poop jokes:

Total Viewers
Show People Retention
DBS 904,000      N/A
DBZKFC 761,000 84.18%
BClover 609,000 80.03%
JoJo 508,000 83.42%
Gundam 455,000 89.57%
Lupin 428,000 94.07%

In terms of total viewers, Black Clover had the worst retention, BUT...

Adults 18-34
Show Rating Estimate Retention
DBS 0.45 306,000      N/A
DBZKFC 0.44 299,000 97.78%
BClover 0.36 245,000 81.82%
JoJo 0.26 177,000 72.22%
Gundam 0.25 170,000 96.15%
Lupin 0.29 197,000 116.00%
Adults 18-49
Show Rating Estimate Retention
DBS 0.37 474,000      N/A
DBZKFC 0.34 436,000 91.89%
BClover 0.29 372,000 85.29%
JoJo 0.21 269,000 72.41%
Gundam 0.19 244,000 90.48%
Lupin 0.21 269,000 110.53%

In terms of the target demographic, JoJo was the biggest loser.

Adults 18-49
Show     Rank Chg
DBS   #3 +1
DBZKFC   #7  -2
BClover   #16  -2
JoJo   #36  -9
Gundam   #44  -12
Lupin   #34 +6

Finally, in terms of Adults 18-49 rank, Gundam was the biggest dropper, while the only gainers were Lupin and DBS. It should be noted that this was DBS's first time in the Top 3, and it was also Toonami's first 18-49 cable original #3 since DBZKFC reached #3 on 8/5/17. Last time a Toonami show reached #2 was 5/13/17, and that was also DBZKFC. But that same night was the last time a Toonami show reached #1 in 18-49 among cable originals, and that show was none other than the penultimate episode of Samurai Jack!

The averages though aren't that bad. In essence, as long as m 18-49 and m 12-34 are green or yellow, the show is doing alright enough.

In that regard, Toonami is doing well enough to warrant advertisers buying time.

That includes JJBA, BC and IBO.

• Like 1

So true. The commercials which are tailored to those demographics cost money to air on the networks (hell, they're the networks' TRUE bread-and-butter, not the shows), and there's no better place for that investment than the #1 in those demographics. Last week, that was a clear toss-up between A&E and Adult Swim.

Just now, OwlChemist81 said:

So true. The commercials which are tailored to those demographics cost money to air on the networks (hell, they're the networks' TRUE bread-and-butter, not the shows), and there's no better place for that investment than the #1 in those demographics. Last week, that was a clear toss-up between A&E and Adult Swim.

Actually, subscriber fees are the bread and butter of networks, ads are the frosting and cake.

That said, I was looking and BC is the equal to a college basketball game at 4:30 pm and did better than a college basketball game at 6:00 pm.

Yes, the total viewers are bad, in comparison to DBS, but the averages are still at least at the average or above average, particularly in the younger 12-34 demo. The block is healthy in that regard.

• Like 1

Because it's SO good and so far ahead of its time it can't be appreciated until decades later.

Seriously this is paid shill advertising at its worst. It's not horrible filler.. it's.... BONUS CONTENT that creates a stronger story!

"Pierrot has blown me away with their work on Black Clover. Filler has always had a rough place in the anime fandom, so finding ways to pad out the story with character pieces that contribute to the existing narrative is the best of both worlds. Even fans of the manga who don’t normally tune-in can find reasons to check Black Clover out with what essentially comes out to bonus content. I can safely say I’ve enjoyed the anime more than the manga. As far as adaptations go, I have to hand it to a series that goes the extra mile by not just highlighting the strengths of its source material, but expanding upon them to create and an even stronger story."

• Haha 1

• Raptorpat unpinned and locked this topic