UnevenEdge

Darling In The Franxx...

OwlChemist81

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Daos said:

We'll be together forever! You know these characters are gonna start dying soon.

7 episodes in and I'm still not sure what all the fuss was about for this anime.

It's Trigger. People are going to try pointlessly hyping it without fail, even though most of Trigger's stuff has been mediocre.

Because Gurren la Kiznaiver saved anime.

On 2/24/2018 at 2:25 PM, 3ngag3 said:

This week's episode had an attempted boy/boy kiss.

I say attempted because one didn't know what a mouth to mouth kiss was and was curious to try it out.

These kids are severely sheltered.

Now I want a filler episode where Hiro and Zorome have to get in the robot together. It'd be a better love story than Ichigo's extreme thirst.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daos said:

Is the only line of defense for the entire city 6 sheltered kids who can barely pilot their Franxx?

I'm pretty sure there are multiple cities with multiple Franxx, they can't all be the top of the line pilots. These guys are just starting out it seems.

But that does bring up, who was protecting the city before them and why aren't they there until the kids are fully trained.

And thus the first traces of a negative trait shows itself.

1. The writers can't seem to decide on what the kids know and what they don't know. If they don't know anything about intimate displays of affection let alone sex, how come the boys like to rubberneck at the girls when they're playing on the sand?  .... do they know what it means??  If they're told their only purpose is to fight, how come they're allowed to run around a beach willy nilly next to an abandoned village?

2. Why a Beach Episode? And so soon? Why do they even HAVE a barbacue set-up and beach equipment in the first place? Does it make the audience feel like they earned it? 

6 hours ago, CAC said:

I'm pretty sure there are multiple cities with multiple Franxx, they can't all be the top of the line pilots. These guys are just starting out it seems.

But that does bring up, who was protecting the city before them and why aren't they there until the kids are fully trained.

Yeah but remember episode 1? They were screwed without Zero Two using Strelizia to save their asses. So how are 6 - 10 mostly useless kids supposed to be the only defense for an entire city? It would be one thing if they were all badasses but aside from Strelizia they're pretty useless.  What if one of the mechs got destroyed? They'd lose like a quarter of their fighting force with one loss. Why did the creator decide on the ridiculous pacific rim dual piloting nonsense? It's caused nothing but problems so far with them having to stay in sync to pilot their mechs.

Oh and they use a wacky power source that just happens to attract Klaxosaurs. When your entire race is being wiped out because of this, maybe it's time to start looking for another power source?

Basically nothing makes any sense and we know almost nothing about this world and their battle vs the klaxosaurs after 7 episodes, and they're dicking around with a beach ep.

I'm expecting some plot twists at some point. The guys ruling over the cities are almost certainly evil.

• Thanks 1

Watched it for the lolzwtf sexual induendo but its actually an entertaining series. Reminds me of eureka 7 and nge u kno whiney boy falls for mysterious not quite fully human chick pilots mecha saves world.

I didnt know there was a dub might check that out. 

• Like 1

8 episodes in... and another fluff episode. Also to continue the sex metaphors the mechs all got ejaculated on while the girls commented how "Gross and Sticky" it was even though they noticed it didn't hurt.

"How dare you spew this disgusting gunk all over us!"

And of course the girls clothing got dissolved because anime.

Ok so serious question. Does anyone still think this anime is good? I mean it's not boring and I still intend on watching all of it, but at this point..... it's not good.

At first when I heard of the synopsis for this episode I was like "AUTO-SKIPPING" until I did watch it and thought it over.  I hate the boy vs girl stories and yeah the room-dividing sitcom shit has been done again and again to the point beyond face-palming but these are exactly the kinds of things young teens without proper sexual education would do!  I have major problems with the story - why would the authorities try to raise these kids into emotionless, oppressive soldiers if they let them run around unsupervised to an easily-accessible abandoned town, and then do nothing to clean out the room of a dead teenager by putting Keep Out tape over the unlocked door?? - but this ep also had a ton of character development. Zero Two put more effort into fitting in with the team and she made her first real attempt to connect with someone other than Hiro, Ichigo became more forgiving, Hiro's being more confident that Zero Two's the one for him and asks to be more open in their feelings.

But does this change my opinion of the show?  ... yeah. It's a tad worse. We now have 2 fluff episodes in a row that don't break ground in any way, the characters, even the adults, make pretty questionable decisions.  It's definitely aimed more at the younger set.

Edited by elfie

Like I said before, nothing about this show makes a lick of sense so far. These kids can't even handle seeing each other half naked without falling into total disarray and they're your master plan for saving your city?

Might wanna think up a plan B.

Wait I have a great idea.. Giant Mechs... piloted by one person... an ADULT with YEARS of combat experience. 

Nah it's too crazy to work nevermind. 

I'm hoping for some twists and turns that legitimize why nothing makes sense right now. 

3 hours ago, Daos said:

Like I said before, nothing about this show makes a lick of sense so far. These kids can't even handle seeing each other half naked without falling into total disarray and they're your master plan for saving your city?

Might wanna think up a plan B.

Wait I have a great idea.. Giant Mechs... piloted by one person... an ADULT with YEARS of combat experience. 

Nah it's too crazy to work nevermind. 

I'm hoping for some twists and turns that legitimize why nothing makes sense right now. 

I was told there are no capable adults left to pilot the mechs. If that's true, maybe they should've incorporated that into the script!?

If it turns out that the main cast is just another squad that Zero Two gets wiped out, and we restart the second half with a different cast and Zero Two, that'd be fine with me.

Goro and Zorome are decent, but Hiro and Ichigo have been bogging down the show so much, and it doesn't help that the adults are crap too.

We've also had quite a few fluff episodes that the show hasn't earned, not with the little to no development the non-Hiro/Ichigo/Zero Two members have gotten.

If there is a redeeming thing about the show aside from Zero Two, it's that it's been pretty entertaining. Not good, but it's kept my attention longer than shows that have just merely sucked.

The lack of any world building is a fatal flaw for this series so far. Hiro is your typical indecisive beta male cuck MC and I don't find that interesting. Every character on the show aside from 02 is 100 percent disposable. There's really no reason for 02 to be interested in Hiro other than the fact he can ride with her and not die.

They're gonna start killing these kids off soon and it's going to have no impact. I'm assuming that's why we're having these fluff episodes so early ....to try and make you care for these kids when they die but it just isn't working.

As for Fraxx I'm kinda meh on this show. I hate the moe bot look on the mechs. You can try and half ass explain why the robots are set up for the pilots to be an a doggy style position because the link works better when there is some sort of sexual urge. However there is no reason at all that the robots need to emote. The fanservice is too repetitive with little variation to even be great fanserivce. Ass up doggy style position each time can get old. It could have been interesting if they had setup the mech to focus on a different part of each girl depending on their best feature. Also some of the story points don't seem to make much sense. One boy was shown to have an attraction to a girl, however none of them seem to understand what kissing is and are desensitized to viewing piloting as a sexual thing. Despite this the sync ratio of the pilots are determined by what seems to be sexual arousal. It seems both counter intuitive to not teach the kids about sex as well as desensitizing them to viewing each other at a young age.  As for the MC he is as bland as a raw potato, they had to actually try to make me care less about his success or well being. It isn't even the type of bland that people would want to self insert for. Horn girl has no development other than she's viewed as a monster and acts like a monster towards people, yet gets pissed and acts superior without much reason. There is also the annoying subtext of the MC just being honor bound to being this girls partner even if it means his death just because she is the only one who he can work with. I mean there are other jobs that can be done that can help fight the enemy that aren't being a pilot. I don't see the pilots fixing the damn robots or monitoring for creatures. It's a bigger system than just the pilots. 

As for Toonami I haven't tuned in for a while. Really the main thing to tune in for was Tom, but they really haven't done anything with him for a year now. I thought they would have him giving more commentary on the shows or doing more interview/review type things between segments. It's gotten to the point of him not even saying anything the majority of the time, just pushing a button for the next show.  I seriously think that the network would be better off having a damn go fund me type thing at this point to fund actual content for Tom. Hiring a voice actor is cheaper than the script itself that they have to read off of. If you wanted you could have a VA read Sonic Fanfics for an hour nonstop and it would cost under $200. So as a whole Toonami has been being cheap fucks when it comes to that. As for shows it's hard for me to bash them on it because unless they were constantly getting new content that they created it would be hard to even have anything worth tuning in for.  The way people consume media has changed a lot, and there are a lot of options out now. Today if they tried to marathon shows like they did with Cowboy bebop or FLCL it would fail. Back then there weren't many outlets for anime so we took what we could get, and often times it became a thing that you grew to like overtime. I didn't like Bebop the first time I watched it, or the 2nd time for that matter. However one night I remember having it on as background noise but getting into an episode then paying more attention to it more and getting involved in the threads to the point that I enjoyed it. Now if I don't like a show on my first viewing I move onto a huge backlog of other shows or games that I need to watch. 

Well if we're being logical.... why would you need two people to pilot a mech? And what kind of technology are they using that functions on how horny the boy is? Bonerology?  Supposedly it functions on how "in sync" they are. But this is a ridiculous weakness to give the technology responsible for saving your city's ass.

The only good character is 02, the rest are pretty forgettable. 02 is also the only one actually good at fighting, the rest of them are screw ups.

Unless this turns around I'm gonna say Trigger screwed up and pulled a Kiznaiver with this one.

I've been enjoying Killing Bites way more than Franxx.

It's very violent and quite ecchi though so it won't be for everyone.

Japan has a very youth obsessed culture and doesn't really care for elderly protagonists like Inuyashiki so it didn't get anywhere near the hype it deserved. That's why having an elderly protag is so incredibly rare, by not having a teen protag you lose about half your potential viewers/readers so authors will almost never try that.

I think its one of those hidden gems they could get for Toonami. They could get it cheap and it could really benefit from the recognition.

On 3/15/2018 at 2:04 AM, Daos said:

Well if we're being logical.... why would you need two people to pilot a mech?

Well, this is fiction. You could write it so a scientist finds a way for two people to pilot a mech! Hell, this exists in a real life! Two people are required to pilot specific kinds of jets! ALL customer airplanes from major companies are required to be piloted by two people!

• Like 1