UnevenEdge

Darling In The Franxx...

OwlChemist81

6 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

This show sounds like a piece of shit and I kinda want to watch it just to see what the level of fecality is in person.

It wanders around. It occasionally wanders into being good, then boring, then bad, then back to good, then kind of mediocre. It's interesting because it's mysterious, but it's mysterious because they don't do any decent world building.

Overall I'd just say it's a mediocre anime. Glad we didn't get this on Toonami.

God damn....new ep came out and not one comment.

Welp... it was FINALLY the badly needed world building episode that explained what the fuck was up with the world. 

Good, but way too late. This anime was very poorly thought out.

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Just like Evangelion, and yet everyone and their mother was (and still is) sucking its dick.

I don't like Evangelion. Nice fights and all, but I don't really have much respect for a show that just throws a bunch of nonsense at the wall and hopes something sticks. I appreciate weird stories but you can't be that weird and convoluted.

19 hours ago, Daos said:

Good, but way too late. This anime was very poorly thought out.

I agree with the second part, but it was in no way good.  I don't even know where to begin with how stupid the backstory turned out to be.

But just sticking with the "present-day" story, if APE is sending them out on their final mission (which if it succeeds, parasites won't be needed anymore, and if it fails, this bunch is all dead, making the promise to free them moot either way), why go to the trouble to quash two parasites playing at getting married, bothering to wipe their memories of it, and not bothering to wipe the rest of their unit's memories of it?  There's such a short window for it to be dangerous to their worldview that it's not dangerous at all.

Looks like we're going to get a bit of the old incest jammed into the story now too, since Dr. F is almost certainly 02's father, and Hiro is likely his clone.  Oy.

Yeah, I'm pretty much echoing everybody else's sentiments on Episode 19.  This episode was definitely needed, and it was leagues more interesting than the mess that was Episode 18, but it's too little too late.  This episode should have come closer to the halfway point of the series.  It was apparently more important, however, to devote practically three full episodes to a love story between two of the parasites that practically comes out of nowhere and gets (literally) forgotten just as quick. 

Even then, the backstory still doesn't make sense in places.  They mention that once they attain immortality, the expense of the operation only leaves it open to the wealthy, which widens the wage gap.  Then a bit later they say that almost everyone has gotten it.  What happened?  Did it become affordable to everyone?  Did they force it on everyone?  It's never answered.  Well, it may have been, but if it was I didn't hear it.

19 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Looks like we're going to get a bit of the old incest jammed into the story now too, since Dr. F is almost certainly 02's father, and Hiro is likely his clone.  Oy.

so Hiro is Rei Ayanami

Yui+ikari+amp+rei+ayanami+in+neon+genesi

• Like 1

On 5/28/2018 at 12:41 AM, CaptainStarwind said:

They mention that once they attain immortality, the expense of the operation only leaves it open to the wealthy, which widens the wage gap.  Then a bit later they say that almost everyone has gotten it.  What happened

My theory is that the percentage of immortals increased through attrition of the mortals due to desertification, and famines and poverty and conflicts generated by such.  Most of the only people left were the rich immortals, and the rich mortals who were thinking about taking the cure for death.  Would've been nice if they'd clarified that though.  Maybe the price just went down, since the demand dropped as more people became immortal, since it's not like you need to do it more than once.  Your guess is as good as mine.

The backstory ended up being far lazier than I would've imagined. There's interesting details to work with like how the kids are planning to go against APE at some point and maybe the possibility of them reaching out to the Klaxosaur Princess once everything's said and done, but then they just cut-and-pasted the Impacts, cloning, NERV, SEELE, fortress cities, and Gendo's M.O. from Evangelion to explain the existence of APE, plantations, the kids, and Dr. Franxx's motivations. 

On 5/28/2018 at 1:02 AM, Gina Szanboti said:

BhH0tiq.gif

3 hours ago, Jman said:

You know how Raxephon can sometimes feel like it was made by people who shipped Shinji x Misato?

Maybe it’s the same here, just with Rei.

Darling in the Frankxx was made by someone who watched Eva, RahXephon, and Eureka seven, took bits and pieces of what they liked and sewed them together haphazardly into a horrible Organic-Mecha genre Frankenstein monster

and threw in some conversion therapy brand Homophobia for good measure

nothing in DITF is original

02's design is more or less identical to Anemone's from Eureka Seven, all they changed was giving her little red horns

tumblr_inline_p9gu9lWqaS1uocxn7_540.png

tumblr_inline_p9guj16TZ31uocxn7_540.png

more or less all the parasites are in some way paralell to the Staff of TERRA from Rahxephon

rahxephon-pluralitas-concentio-e7056a7c-

118.jpg

Hiro's been revealed to share a Backstory with Rei Ayanami

7ZIxDZS.gif

which I guess sort of makes Mitsuru Shinji since they're both angst ridden Bisexual boys in horribly ill advised relationships with girls they have nothing in common with other than having piloted together (also Kokoro literally gave him Shinji's haircut after curing him of his gay thoughts)

giphy.gif

90c3075f444cc836ba85f67e4aeb583b74d34077

CrJ7Z6NW8AAY4Kg.jpg

Nine alpha is obviously Kaworu

tumblr_p6h2x3Q0fW1ueu8r8o6_r1_1280.gif

21307048520FA04B2FAC03

except they made him straight because of course they did

6ebe08dc3c392a2eb82421169f82e6ddfe2248c4\

the erotic piloting set up is stolen from Genesis of Aquarion

0000218569.jpg

except in Aquarion they allowed same sex pilot pairings whereas in Darling in the Frankxx only opposite sex pairings are possible for some reason (read: Homophobia)

and for that matter the "twist" that the enemies they're fighting might not be evil is stolen from Eureka Seven, though they've been very conflicting about that point in DITF

47 minutes ago, mochi said:

Darling in the Frankxx was made by someone who watched Eva, RahXephon, and Eureka seven, took bits and pieces of what they liked and sewed them together haphazardly into a horrible Organic-Mecha genre Frankenstein monster

and threw in some conversion therapy brand Homophobia for good measure

Franxxenstein monster

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mochi said:

Nine alpha is obviously Kaworu

tumblr_p6h2x3Q0fW1ueu8r8o6_r1_1280.gif

21307048520FA04B2FAC03

except they made him straight because of course they did

6ebe08dc3c392a2eb82421169f82e6ddfe2248c4\

the erotic piloting set up is stolen from Genesis of Aquarion

0000218569.jpg

except in Aquarion they allowed same sex pilot pairings whereas in Darling in the Frankxx only opposite sex pairings are possible for some reason (read: Homophobia)

and for that matter the "twist" that the enemies they're fighting might not be evil is stolen from Eureka Seven, though they've been very conflicting about that point in DITF

... if they made Nine Alpha straight, how come he goes and denounces the concept of gender?

Edited by elfie

If anything, because the Nines only have one gender and sex, they exist more to make the people who think that man & woman aren't the only compatible genders look terrible and outright spiteful.

Where in the process of trying to get anime viewers to get more interested in increasing Japan's birth rate, they take a steaming hot shit on the LGBT community, intersex people, asexual people, and genderfluid people.

Much of Alpha's flirtation with Ichigo seems to stem from the idea of playing mind-games with her since most of the things he's said/done with her have been to get in her head whether it's getting her flustered in front of everyone or creating the rift between her and Zero Two that would result in the events of Episode 14.

Even if they didn't villainize Ikuno, they still destroy any sense of closure she could get by telling her to hush up and go along with the idea of women being only compatible with men because groups that don't rely on heterosexual unions are only useful to total assholes like the Nines who hate "cis scum" and want to get rid of any notion that a woman's happiness and existence relies on the ability to make babies. Fall in line like Mitsuru did, or you'll only be engulfed in despair.

Edited by imchapp.in

4 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

If anything, because the Nines only have one gender and sex, they exist more to make the people who think that man & woman aren't the only compatible genders look terrible and outright spiteful.

Where in the process of trying to get anime viewers to get more interested in increasing Japan's birth rate, they take a steaming hot shit on the LGBT community, intersex people, asexual people, and genderfluid people.

Much of Alpha's flirtation with Ichigo seems to stem from the idea of playing mind-games with her since most of the things he's said/done with her have been to get in her head whether it's getting her flustered in front of everyone or creating the rift between her and Zero Two that would result in the events of Episode 14.

Even if they didn't villainize Ikuno, they still destroy any sense of closure she could get by telling her to hush up and go along with the idea of women being only compatible with men because groups that don't rely on heterosexual unions are only useful to total assholes like the Nines who hate "cis scum" and want to get rid of any notion that a woman's happiness and existence relies on the ability to make babies. Fall in line like Mitsuru did, or you'll only be engulfed in despair.

pretty fucking much, this show is a dumpster fire of Homophobia

1 hour ago, Jman said:

The show is flawed but it’s still way better than Voltron.

actually my issues with Voltron are similar to my issues with Darling

....although VLD isn't ACTIVELY being Homophobic the way Darling is

VLD just didn't realize gay representation would be something the viewers would appreciate and they feel it's too late to add any gay storylines at this point so they won't

whereas Darling is actively soapboxing a message that if you aren't straight and aren't fucking opposite sex partners and making babies you're a terrible and useless person

32 minutes ago, mochi said:

actually my issues with Voltron are similar to my issues with Darling

....although VLD isn't ACTIVELY being Homophobic the way Darling is

VLD just didn't realize gay representation would be something the viewers would appreciate and they feel it's too late to add any gay storylines at this point so they won't

whereas Darling is actively soapboxing a message that if you aren't straight and aren't fucking opposite sex partners and making babies you're a terrible and useless person

No, anyone who wasn’t a hardcore Dumblr Stan for a gay pairing  was chased out of the fandom by fujoshi so any conversation on the show is bullshit about said pairing.

Bonus, the human toys all bombed!

28 minutes ago, Jman said:

No, anyone who wasn’t a hardcore Dumblr Stan for a gay pairing  was chased out of the fandom by fujoshi so any conversation on the show is bullshit about said pairing.

Bonus, the human toys all bombed!

I still see plenty of Klance art so that's not true

they just shut up because they decided to accept that the show's writers aren't adding any same sex pairings ever

you know speaking to the fans of Darling in the Frankxx on tumblr (of which there are increasingly few of)

they seem.....insane

half of them claim the show is some sort of government funded Japanese propaganda meant to improve Japan's declining birth-rate by "making heterosexuality cool again" (these are in fact the FANS of this show saying this mind you)

and the other half are accusing me of being a Biphobe for thinking Mitsuru and Ikuno's storylines are homophobic

Edited by mochi

23 hours ago, mochi said:

half of them claim the show is some sort of government funded Japanese propaganda meant to improve Japan's declining birth-rate by "making heterosexuality cool again" (these are in fact the FANS of this show saying this mind you)

Crazy conspiracy theories like this always manage to make my day a little bit brighter.

But yeah, stay away from Tumblr.

Just now, CaptainStarwind said:

Crazy conspiracy theories like this always manage to make my day a little bit brighter.

But yeah, stay away from Tumblr.

yeah that theory is fucking insane because I don't think the target audience for this show is immature enough that they'd get any benefit from being preached "morals" to

show is still Homophobic though....if only because it's definitely working on a worldview that being gay is a bad thing, since both Mitsuru and Ikuno's gay crushes have been dismissed rather thoroughly and implicitly to their benefit (since he was much happier fucking Kokoro)

• Like 1

Looks like they're rushing all of the action to make up for how much they slacked with telling us about the world around us. The only problem is that now that they're playing all of their cards at once, it all just feels confusing to see them drop their revelations about APE, VIRM, and what the Franxx are really made of all at the same time.

It feels like such a hollow and trite way to wrap up the plot and  feels like they half-heartedly just want to get it over with so they can have their big scene where Zero Two saves Hiro to the opening theme song that they were banking on being their "Eyes on Me". At the end of the day, Darling in the Franxx had absolutely no meaning or reason to exist other than to write a TV show around the fucking song.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, imchapp.in said:

Looks like they're rushing all of the action to make up for how much they slacked with telling us about the world around us. The only problem is that now that they're playing all of their cards at once, it all just feels confusing to see them drop their revelations about APE, VIRM, and what the Franxx are really made of all at the same time.

It feels like such a hollow and trite way to wrap up the plot and  feels like they half-heartedly just want to get it over with so they can have their big scene where Zero Two saves Hiro to the opening theme song that they were banking on being their "Eyes on Me". At the end of the day, Darling in the Franxx had absolutely no meaning or reason to exist other than to write a TV show around the fucking song.

Eyes on me? Old reference. You're old!

They basically told us all what we kind of figured out or had suspicions of.

You guys look wayyy too deep into this stuff though. I enjoyed the ep because I know what the show is. Have fun hate watching it I guess.

It was an entertaining episode but the writing is just awful. I know it's anime but they didn't have to go full anime on this.

So the long awaited plot twist came, was kind of underwhelming since we suspected something like this and 100 percent knew APE was evil.

Star Entity.... not even mentioned in the previous 19 episodes right?

Cloning, Aliens, world destroying time bomb, people living in the matrix, spaceship battles.... this shows all over the place now.