UnevenEdge

SONY Pictures TV Network Bought Funimation

The1gairon

Yep.

I am .... I don't know how to feel right now.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/sony-pictures-tv-funimation-acquisition-1202511492/

Sony Pictures Television Networks will acquire a 95% majority stake in U.S.-based anime distributor Funimation Productions for about $143 million.

The deal values Funimation, which was founded in 1994, at around $150 million.

Funimation’s catalog includes such titles as “Dragon Ball Z,” “Cowboy Bebop,” “One Piece,” “My Hero Academia,” and “Attack on Titan,” and last year acquired U.S. rights to Japanese smash hit “Your Name” (pictured above). The deal will augment Sony Pictures Television Networks’ multiplatform Animax network, geared around Japanese anime content, in 23 countries including Japan.

Gen Fukunaga, founder and CEO of Funimation, will retain a minority stake in the business and remain chief exec. The deal is subject to regulatory approvals and certain other closing conditions.

“With the acquisition of Funimation, the combined [intellectual property] of Animax, Kids Station and Funimation allows us to deliver the best anime to fans across all screens and platforms,” Andy Kaplan, president of worldwide networks for Sony Pictures Television, said in a statement.

Funimation, based in Flower Mound, Texas, licenses, adapts and distributes anime content from Japanese rights holders internationally. Its catalog includes more than 10,000 hours of content with rights to over 450 brands and provides dubbed and subbed anime across multiple channels. The company operates the FunimationNow streaming platform for North American English-language audiences.

“With Funimation’s long-established leadership position in anime and Sony’s direct access to the creative pipeline in Japan, it will be a great partnership to take Funimation to the next level,” Funimation’s Fukunaga said in a statement.

With the Sony Pictures Television Networks deal, chairman John A. Kuelbs will depart from Funimation. Kuelbs said in a joint statement with lead investor Doug Deason, “We believe Sony, Gen and his team are uniquely positioned to lead Funimation and its fans into an exciting and entertaining future.”

J.P. Morgan acted as financial adviser to Funimation along with Kelly Hart & Hallman as legal adviser. Gibson Dunn & Crutcher acted as legal adviser to Sony Pictures Television Networks on the deal.

Yep.

I am .... I don't know how to feel right now.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/sony-pictures-tv-funimation-acquisition-1202511492/

Sony Pictures Television Networks will acquire a 95% majority stake in U.S.-based anime distributor Funimation Productions for about $143 million.

The deal values Funimation, which was founded in 1994, at around $150 million.

Funimation’s catalog includes such titles as “Dragon Ball Z,” “Cowboy Bebop,” “One Piece,” “My Hero Academia,” and “Attack on Titan,” and last year acquired U.S. rights to Japanese smash hit “Your Name” (pictured above). The deal will augment Sony Pictures Television Networks’ multiplatform Animax network, geared around Japanese anime content, in 23 countries including Japan.

Gen Fukunaga, founder and CEO of Funimation, will retain a minority stake in the business and remain chief exec. The deal is subject to regulatory approvals and certain other closing conditions.

“With the acquisition of Funimation, the combined [intellectual property] of Animax, Kids Station and Funimation allows us to deliver the best anime to fans across all screens and platforms,” Andy Kaplan, president of worldwide networks for Sony Pictures Television, said in a statement.

Funimation, based in Flower Mound, Texas, licenses, adapts and distributes anime content from Japanese rights holders internationally. Its catalog includes more than 10,000 hours of content with rights to over 450 brands and provides dubbed and subbed anime across multiple channels. The company operates the FunimationNow streaming platform for North American English-language audiences.

“With Funimation’s long-established leadership position in anime and Sony’s direct access to the creative pipeline in Japan, it will be a great partnership to take Funimation to the next level,” Funimation’s Fukunaga said in a statement.

With the Sony Pictures Television Networks deal, chairman John A. Kuelbs will depart from Funimation. Kuelbs said in a joint statement with lead investor Doug Deason, “We believe Sony, Gen and his team are uniquely positioned to lead Funimation and its fans into an exciting and entertaining future.”

J.P. Morgan acted as financial adviser to Funimation along with Kelly Hart & Hallman as legal adviser. Gibson Dunn & Crutcher acted as legal adviser to Sony Pictures Television Networks on the deal.

well R.I.P toonami :|

As for the deal, I say awesome. Bring on the cheaper blu ray sets and better content deals. Huge library to access and a major corporate backer is going to be awesome. I'm excited about this deal

With how much SONY spent on them, I assume this means the DVDs will cost MORE.

SONY is a Japanese company firstly. 

Ideally, they'll take 1 look at Adult Swim's schedule and said "... nope, nu uh", and keep Super's premieres at 11:00 PM, telling off TOEI!

It would be amusing if they say no to toonami and remove all the original contracts and wants new ones

Uhhhh.....

Someone's never heard of Kara no Kyoukai/Garden of Sinners and Fate/Zero.

I'm still pissed. I would've loved to have owned the 2nd and 5th movies of Kara no Kyoukai, but they had to make a bundle that costs more than a PS4. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just the movies or at least a couple of them. Or at least put them on Netflix like the Fate shows that aren't behind your damn paywall.  It doesn't help the sequel movie costs $70. The Kill la Kill and Madoka releases were just the shit icing on the shit cake.

Not sure what to think of the deal as a whole, but Aniplex (and their price-gouging American wing) is part of Sony Music Japan, a completely separate entity from the US-based Sony Pictures.  Aniplex pricing isn't an issue.

Yeah a lot of people aren't aware that SONY Music owns Aniplex, which acts separately from SONY Pictures, who bought a stake in Funimation. The Aniplex migration that a lot of their titles made has nothing to do with this deal.

Not really sure why people are thinking this is the "end of Toonami"

Toonami is pretty much the only name in the game right now for Anime.  Why would a company pull their products from the only bloc that focuses soley on Anime? Doesnt make much business sense to do that.

I can't see how this would affect the Funimation shows on Toonami in any sense. 

I'm still pissed. I would've loved to have owned the 2nd and 5th movies of Kara no Kyoukai, but they had to make a bundle that costs more than a PS4. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just the movies or at least a couple of them. Or at least put them on Netflix like the Fate shows that aren't behind your damn paywall.  It doesn't help the sequel movie costs $70. The Kill la Kill and Madoka releases were just the shit icing on the shit cake.

I'm also going to bring up Durarara. Even though I didn't care much for it, it was pretty popular and those prices were real shitty.

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2017/08/01/funimation-agrees-acquired-sony-pictures-television-networks/

That's what they SAY.

I don't trust ANYTHING until I see what actually happens.  Until proven otherwise I'm assuming anime armageddon.  I've been on the bad end of mergers and buy outs before.

I used to have AT&T many years ago but it sucked ass so I switched to Cingular.  Had good reception service and good customer service.  Shocking right?  Well years later AT&T took them over and RUINED EVERYTHING.  I have shitty service at my house.  At first they told us that since we are so close to the tower the signal is going over us like an umbrella. :| Later on we find out AT&T doesn't own the tower right near us and are too cheap to connect to it so we sit in a dead spot with 1-2 bars between 2 AT&T towers.

For a time I actually I switched to Verizon and the phone worked great but the guy at the store lied to us about a bunch of shit and the bill was inflated and fucked in short order and had to flee back to garbage AT&T.  Lily should be rage-fucked to atone for their sins.

Movie Gallery ended up buying Hollywood Video, and through their own corporate incompetence and through no fault of GameCrazy, which was doing great sales, Movie Gallery closed all Hollywoods and with them the attached GameCrazys.  I lost my favorite game store.  Had tons of great games for cheap from all generations and workers who knew their shit.  Hell I made friends there.  Now I shop at Game X Change which is great too and still refuse to set foot in Gamestop but I still miss GameCrazy.

Now Funimation, which has built its company and brand with care and steadiness over the years (I liked them before it was cool, by the way, in the early days, when others were hating on them nearly as much as 4kids), is owned by a JAPANESE COMPANY likely run by out of touch old geezers.  Those that stick to old time Japanese traditions which have no place in modern society, which lead to such morbid idiocy as the NES Classic debacle, a complete ignorant misreading and apathy towards its customers, Konami closing its videogame division and Kojima heading for the hills because HUR DUR WE GOT TEH PACHINKO MACHINES WAD WE NEED DOSE VIDYAGAMES FOR, MegaMan ending as a franchise due to Capcom treating its creator like a slave, among myriad other examples.

This does not bode well.

Let's just say I am not at all enthused to hear of this news this morning.

Plus they released Erased (Which is only 12 episodes by the way) in two parts and then charged $89 dollars for each blu ray set. It would have been easy for them to just release all 12 episodes in one complete set, so it would not have cost over $160 for just a 12 episode series. I mean throw us a bone here Aniplex

I'm also going to bring up Durarara. Even though I didn't care much for it, it was pretty popular and those prices were real shitty.

It had a very shitty release too where they split it into three parts, and then the 1st part (the only good one) ended up going out of print before Part 3 even came out. Then when you actually wanted to get the whole series, they make it available only through some stupid ass lunchbox, which I assume is to make fun of the fact that it's Baccano for 12 year olds.

Plus they released Erased (Which is only 12 episodes by the way) in two parts and then charged $89 dollars for each blu ray set. It would have been easy for them to just release all 12 episodes in one complete set, so it would not have cost over $160 for just a 12 episode series. I mean throw us a bone here Aniplex

I would've lost my shit if I wanted to own it. Paying around $100 for Madoka was the last straw for me, but I'd like to be able to own Kill la Kill one day without having to sell a kidney. Then the industry gets pissy about why the consumer is losing their shit and resorting to finding the shows online instead of buying discs anymore. Gee, between Amazon's double paywall and owning an Aniplex show for $300, I wonder...

By the way,  I can buy all of Breaking Bad for $75, seven of The Fast & the Furious movies for $37, and twenty two James Bond DVDs for $60 on Amazon.