UnevenEdge

Lupin the 3rd Comes to Toonami June 17th

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having it premiere at 2AM is quite a downer. I certainly didn't want HxH to move to 2AM but I definitely didn't want Lupin to premiere at 2AM.

Ugh... why did they have to drag out the corpse of Tokyo Ghoul to replace One Piece instead of getting Lupin right then? I would have much preferred for them to finish out Tokyo Ghoul at 2AM and give Lupin an actual chance without screwing over HxH.

On the one hand, I'm glad they're learning that not every show should be pushed down further into the night when a new show arrives, but on the other hand, we'll of course have to deal with a dub premiere of a legacy show debuting at 2 AM in the fuckin morning!  Which sucks.

If you could re-arrange the June 17th schedule to your liking (same shows), how would you do it?

Here's my lineup:

11 PM Dragon Ball Super

11:30 DBZ Kai Final Chapters

12 AM Attack on Titan

12:30 Hunter x Hunter

1 AM Lupin the 3rd

1:30 Naruto Shippuden

2 AM Tokyo Ghoul

2:30 Samurai Jack

3 AM GITS

Maybe the ratings will suck this week and they'll reconsider Samurai Jack at 11. I just don't see how episodes that have aired FIVE times already on the network will do any damn good!

Here's the thing though: in an age when the majority of your audience is probably DVR'ing at least part of the block, does it matter nearly as much at what specific times shows actually air?  I'm an old man now, and I can pretty much never pull a whole-block marathon like I could in my halcyon college days, so I wind up DVR'ing the entire block and watching chunks of it at my leisure.  I don't really care in what order the premieres occur, just so long as I get them all recorded.  I can't be alone in this either.

Here's the thing though: in an age when the majority of your audience is probably DVR'ing at least part of the block, does it matter nearly as much at what specific times shows actually air?  I'm an old man now, and I can pretty much never pull a whole-block marathon like I could in my halcyon college days, so I wind up DVR'ing the entire block and watching chunks of it at my leisure.  I don't really care in what order the premieres occur, just so long as I get them all recorded.  I can't be alone in this either.

You have a point, but there is the slight edge to Live + Same Day ratings that earlier shows give. The 2:30 AM timeslot is screwed because there's literally no way to watch it same day, since they consider 3 AM to 3 AM. But the 3 AM timeslot is the opposite and yet GITS seems to drop from Shippuden.

The main boost is, of course, that earlier shows seem to be more accessible to casual viewers. However, they don't really get THAT much of a boost at an earlier timeslot, I guess, since Saturday night is such a party night.

Maybe the ratings will suck this week and they'll reconsider Samurai Jack at 11. I just don't see how episodes that have aired FIVE times already on the network will do any damn good!

The thing you have to remember is, this is a free show, and it hasn't really been increasing Toonami's ratings as opposed to Attack on Titan S1. This is why I think Jack getting a rerun is somewhat more sensible.

If you could re-arrange the June 17th schedule to your liking (same shows), how would you do it?

Here's my lineup:

11 PM Dragon Ball Super

11:30 DBZ Kai Final Chapters

12 AM Attack on Titan

12:30 Hunter x Hunter

1 AM Lupin the 3rd

1:30 Naruto Shippuden

2 AM Tokyo Ghoul

2:30 Samurai Jack

3 AM GITS

Looks solid to me.

I don't mind a rerun on Toonami for Samurai Jack, but I do mind it at 11 PM. It's absurd that Toonami has that timeslot and it's not being used for something fresh and new, while dub premieres languish at 1:30 and 2 AM!

Didn't they used to just push a rerun at the end of the block?? What happened!?

Why start with a rerun, that is absurd, it is just going to run SJ into the ground when they have plenty of new shows currently in the roster and at least one more original production (FLCL S2) in the pipe.

It seems like a waste to me.

Also, now that the boards are back up, let's analyze the regular tenants (not including movies/marathons) of the 2 AM timeslot since Sword Art Online left it, shall we?

7/28/13-2/15/14: Sword Art Online (dub premiere)

2/22/14-3/15/14: Soul Eater (not a dub premiere)

3/22/14-4/26/14: Black Lagoon (not a dub premiere)

5/3/14-8/9/14: Blue Exorcist (not a dub premiere)

8/16/14-9/20/14: Gurren Lagann (not a dub premiere)

10/4/14-11/8/14: Hellsing Ultimate (1st half, not a dub premiere)

11/15/14-11/29/14: InuYasha: The Final Act (not a dub premiere)

Also, note that none of the movies which aired at 2 AM during the Month of Movies II were dub premieres.

1/3/15-1/17/15: Gurren Lagann (not a dub premiere)

1/24/15-1/31/15: Deadman Wonderland (rerun, not a dub premiere)

2/7/15-3/21/15: Gurren Lagann (not a dub premiere)

3/28/15-5/21/16: Naruto: Shippuden (not a dub premiere)

6/14/16-9/24/16: One Piece (not a dub premiere)

10/1/16-3/18/17: Naruto: Shippuden (not a dub premiere)

3/25/17-6/10/17: Gundam Unicorn (yep, you guessed it, not a dub premiere)

So then that means that Lupin the 3rd will now officially be the first dub premiere to air at 2 AM since Sword Art Online 1, WHICH ENDED OVER 3 YEARS AGO!!

The question is: how did it come to this?? People were crowing back then how stupid it was for SAO 1 to air ahead of OG Naruto (12:30, uncut for the first time on Cable, I'll give it that), One Piece (1 AM), and Soul Eater (1:30 AM), NONE of which were dub premieres. One other feature of that schedule was that a dub premiere (Bleach) aired at Midnight, and would eventually be joined by world premiere of Space Dandy at 11:30.

Eventually Bleach would end, the other permashonens would drop and sanity would prevail, as 12:30 once again became a premiere slot on 2/7/15, although combined with the loss of 11:30, which as most who have followed the block for the past 5 years was used for AOT reruns. Well, flash forward to now, and the permashonens are all but gone, with One Piece off the schedule and Naruto Shippuden at 2:30. Now 12:30 is the new midnight, as the first dub premiere on the schedule is in that timeslot, preceded by an hour of straight-up RERUNS and DBZ Kai, which lost its dub premiere status when the DVDs came out a few weeks ago.

So here we go again, dub premiere in a hard-to-watch timeslot, dragged down to the abyss by [as] programming's asinine decision to once again play a rerun at the top of the block, Toei's fuckery that led to the worst decision for Toonami since Attack on Titan reruns, and whatever unholy deal they made that keeps Tokyo Ghoul in the 1 AM timeslot. I hope despite all that, Lupin the 3rd can still do well at 2 AM since Gundam Unicorn lowered the bar to levels only reverse-eclipsed by the likes of Hellsing Ultimate and Gurren Lagann during that dark period from 2014-15.

This situation with Jack and Super will keep the block from having great ratings most likely. The network has to understand what this is going to do. I think whatever deals they have financially with those two are (in their minds) offsetting the rest of what the block is doing. Simply put, they are making enough money off of those 2 in order to not care about a little loss elsewhere in the block. If it REALLY tanks though. Jack is easily moved since it's totally their property.

Also, now that the boards are back up, let's analyze the regular tenants (not including movies/marathons) of the 2 AM timeslot since Sword Art Online left it, shall we?

7/28/13-2/15/14: Sword Art Online (dub premiere)

2/22/14-3/15/14: Soul Eater (not a dub premiere)

3/22/14-4/26/14: Black Lagoon (not a dub premiere)

5/3/14-8/9/14: Blue Exorcist (not a dub premiere)

8/16/14-9/20/14: Gurren Lagann (not a dub premiere)

10/4/14-11/8/14: Hellsing Ultimate (1st half, not a dub premiere)

11/15/14-11/29/14: InuYasha: The Final Act (not a dub premiere)

Also, note that none of the movies which aired at 2 AM during the Month of Movies II were dub premieres.

1/3/15-1/17/15: Gurren Lagann (not a dub premiere)

1/24/15-1/31/15: Deadman Wonderland (rerun, not a dub premiere)

2/7/15-3/21/15: Gurren Lagann (not a dub premiere)

3/28/15-5/21/16: Naruto: Shippuden (not a dub premiere)

6/14/16-9/24/16: One Piece (not a dub premiere)

10/1/16-3/18/17: Naruto: Shippuden (not a dub premiere)

3/25/17-6/10/17: Gundam Unicorn (yep, you guessed it, not a dub premiere)

So then that means that Lupin the 3rd will now officially be the first dub premiere to air at 2 AM since Sword Art Online 1, WHICH ENDED OVER 3 YEARS AGO!!

The question is: how did it come to this?? People were crowing back then how stupid it was for SAO 1 to air ahead of OG Naruto (12:30, uncut for the first time on Cable, I'll give it that), One Piece (1 AM), and Soul Eater (1:30 AM), NONE of which were dub premieres. One other feature of that schedule was that a dub premiere (Bleach) aired at Midnight, and would eventually be joined by world premiere of Space Dandy at 11:30.

Eventually Bleach would end, the other permashonens would drop and sanity would prevail, as 12:30 once again became a premiere slot on 2/7/15, although combined with the loss of 11:30, which as most who have followed the block for the past 5 years was used for AOT reruns. Well, flash forward to now, and the permashonens are all but gone, with One Piece off the schedule and Naruto Shippuden at 2:30. Now 12:30 is the new midnight, as the first dub premiere on the schedule is in that timeslot, preceded by an hour of straight-up RERUNS and DBZ Kai, which lost its dub premiere status when the DVDs came out a few weeks ago.

So here we go again, dub premiere in a hard-to-watch timeslot, dragged down to the abyss by [as] programming's asinine decision to once again play a rerun at the top of the block, Toei's fuckery that led to the worst decision for Toonami since Attack on Titan reruns, and whatever unholy deal they made that keeps Tokyo Ghoul in the 1 AM timeslot. I hope despite all that, Lupin the 3rd can still do well at 2 AM since Gundam Unicorn lowered the bar to levels only reverse-eclipsed by the likes of Hellsing Ultimate and Gurren Lagann during that dark period from 2014-15.

I'll tell you how it happened. Since Toonami's goal is to get the newest shows possible (which they can't always do), it eventually meant cramming the later time slots with dub premieres too, which no one really hoped would happen due to how many people would just be asleep, and yet it finally happened!

This situation with Jack and Super will keep the block from having great ratings most likely. The network has to understand what this is going to do. I think whatever deals they have financially with those two are (in their minds) offsetting the rest of what the block is doing. Simply put, they are making enough money off of those 2 in order to not care about a little loss elsewhere in the block. If it REALLY tanks though. Jack is easily moved since it's totally their property.

Jack is a brand new CN/Adult Swim cartoon that puts an end to one of their most acclaimed original programs of all time, so I sort of understand why they want it at the beginning of the block.  But if that's the case... just fuckin put Jack at the tail end of the Adult Swim programming, and return Toonami to 11:30!!  No change in the schedule!  Just a change of branding for 1 half hour!  Toonami can start with the anime again, the network gets their darling golden goose at 11 and eevryone's happy happy happy!!

And I am this close to believing Toonami signed their name in blood to get Tokyo Ghoul! :D

Bowing to Toei's demands has lead us to our current ratings funk and having some obligation to keep Tokyo Ghoul at a watchable time and some obligation not to move Hunter to 2AM has lead us to Lupin at 2AM. It's a shame really. Toonami's current status is a mainly a good batch of shows in less than desirable time slots.

You can also argue Lupin is an old property and a nicher one that they're just trying to throw a bone while Tokyo Ghoul is "the new hotness" despite that iron going quite cold by now. If they really are obligated to keep Tokyo Ghoul in the 1AM slot that is yet another reason why they shouldn't have touched that show at this point.

Being largely episodic and pretty easy to get into, perhaps a late slot wont be death to Lupin but having it wedged between two story heavy shounen is probably going to work out about as well as having Dandy between Bleach and Shippuden. On the bright side I do see HxH viewers being more welcoming to Lupin than Tokyo Ghoul viewers. Tokyo Ghoul into Lupin is too much of a mood whiplash though I doubt that's why they have Lupin starting after HxH instead of Ghoul.

Welp... I'll be watching HxH and Lupin at any rate.

Jack is a brand new CN/Adult Swim cartoon that puts an end to one of their most acclaimed original programs of all time, so I sort of understand why they want it at the beginning of the block.  But if that's the case... just fuckin put Jack at the tail end of the Adult Swim programming, and return Toonami to 11:30!!  No change in the schedule!  Just a change of branding for 1 half hour!  Toonami can start with the anime again, the network gets their darling golden goose at 11 and eevryone's happy happy happy!!

And I am this close to believing Toonami signed their name in blood to get Tokyo Ghoul! :D

I imagine they got a good bargain on it =P

In other words, the reason a new dub premiere of a long-running anime franchise that has been waiting for years and years to return to American television (deep breath) is put ta 2 in the fuckin morning, is because the front of the block is hemmoredged with exclusive deals Toonami got with Adult Swim and Toei!!  All hail exclusive deals!!!!

I see no reason to panic over the Jack rerun, and I wouldn't unless we knew it was boosting Toonami's ratings. But it isn't. :fap:

Lupin at 2:00 is obviously a bad decision, but maybe they see something in Tokyo Ghoul that we don't. One show has to go there, and neither of the two likely candidates would make people happy..

In other words, the reason a new dub premiere of a long-running anime franchise that has been waiting for years and years to return to American television (deep breath) is put ta 2 in the fuckin morning, is because the front of the block is hemmoredged with exclusive deals Toonami got with Adult Swim and Toei!!  All hail exclusive deals!!!!

Remember those 2 shows probably make more money for the network than the others do. I really feel like AS benefiting financially on the TOEI Super deal somehow because of how much TOEI values a TV partner and Jack is all theirs (with sponsorship deals) so they are trying to make as much as they can off it while they can. Hopefully the money made from those 2 offsets any loss in ratings for the rest. It's possible Lupin came cheaper than other things (maybe they will heavily promote the DVD release) hence why 2AM is fine with them. There is a bunch of financial things we're not privy too and can only speculate, but on their end everything is looking good.

I only think that we'll see more of this unless they are willing to move HxH.  I rather like the idea though of the 2AM show being something a little older or something that's dub has been available for a while.

I guess they must not consider Lupin a top tier show.  Which yeah, it kinda' isn't, but still...

I think live ratings count more than DVR ratings but I could be wrong on that.  I mean, if someone REALLY likes a show they'll make the effort to watch it live, right?

Besides, it's the principle of the thing.

Also new viewers probably aren't going to DVR a new show, unless the promo manages to interest them enough, or they already record the whole block anyway.  And in no way do I think most casual viewers watch it religiously like we do.

I don't mind a rerun on Toonami for Samurai Jack, but I do mind it at 11 PM. It's absurd that Toonami has that timeslot and it's not being used for something fresh and new, while dub premieres languish at 1:30 and 2 AM!

My thoughts exactly.  I have no issue with Jack rerunning, but why waste the opening slot on that?  There's plenty of new shows you could put there!  It's VERY disappointing.

Bowing to Toei's demands has lead us to our current ratings funk and having some obligation to keep Tokyo Ghoul at a watchable time and some obligation not to move Hunter to 2AM has lead us to Lupin at 2AM. It's a shame really. Toonami's current status is a mainly a good batch of shows in less than desirable time slots.

You can also argue Lupin is an old property and a nicher one that they're just trying to throw a bone while Tokyo Ghoul is "the new hotness" despite that iron going quite cold by now. If they really are obligated to keep Tokyo Ghoul in the 1AM slot that is yet another reason why they shouldn't have touched that show at this point.

Being largely episodic and pretty easy to get into, perhaps a late slot wont be death to Lupin but having it wedged between two story heavy shounen is probably going to work out about as well as having Dandy between Bleach and Shippuden. On the bright side I do see HxH viewers being more welcoming to Lupin than Tokyo Ghoul viewers. Tokyo Ghoul into Lupin is too much of a mood whiplash though I doubt that's why they have Lupin starting after HxH instead of Ghoul.

Welp... I'll be watching HxH and Lupin at any rate.

What are you basing this Toei scapegoating on?  Or any of this, really.  You're doing a lot of assuming here.  You have no proof that Toonami is locked to keeping any shows into particular time slots.

Iron is cold as fuck and makes me wish they never even bothered.  Those Tokyo Ghoul fans must have been really patient and persistent.

Yeah Lupin is definitely a not a top tier show which is why I guess it is getting this slot.

Lol Naruto... "story heavy."

No you have to suffer with the rest of us.

They have no proof these deals exist.  They're talking out their asses.  I think maybe you guys just need to accept that Adult Swim is retarded.  And their shitty scheduling seems to be infecting and taking over Toonami's once rather logical scheduling.  It's looking more and more like ASA idiocy all the time.

I see no reason to panic over the Jack rerun, and I wouldn't unless we knew it was boosting Toonami's ratings. But it isn't. :fap:

Lupin at 2:00 is obviously a bad decision, but maybe they see something in Tokyo Ghoul that we don't. One show has to go there, and neither of the two likely candidates would make people happy..

I don't give a fuck about ratings.  I want a new show!

Remember those 2 shows probably make more money for the network than the others do. I really feel like AS benefiting financially on the TOEI Super deal somehow because of how much TOEI values a TV partner and Jack is all theirs (with sponsorship deals) so they are trying to make as much as they can off it while they can. Hopefully the money made from those 2 offsets any loss in ratings for the rest. It's possible Lupin came cheaper than other things (maybe they will heavily promote the DVD release) hence why 2AM is fine with them. There is a bunch of financial things we're not privy too and can only speculate, but on their end everything is looking good.

If true, that's pretty shitty.  To just sacrifice viewers FOR THE GREATER GOOD.  That doesn't sound like the Demarco way!

My thoughts exactly.  I have no issue with Jack rerunning, but why waste the opening slot on that?  There's plenty of new shows you could put there!  It's VERY disappointing.

Seems like a really bad call. But it did some good numbers and the rest of the block is kind of not... so worth a shot I guess? It's not like you can lead the block with Tokyo Ghoul.

Christ ben how have you never learned how to multi-quote.

Believe me, I get what you mean.  I once had a self-imposed rule of never making consecutive posts.  I used to multi-quote on the Lithium boards, but eventually decided this was too messy and too difficult, overwhelming to read.  Making the responses as actual separate posts directly addressed to the user being replied to is cleaner, more organized, easier to read, and more respectful to the individual users you're replying to.  Also easier to quote and reply to than one, giant mega-post.