UnevenEdge

ITN: Israel

Master-Debater131

55 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

well...i don't even get a 'fuck you'. 

but, that's how people like that operate. MTG fucking wanna be.

This is why I tell people like her to go fuck herself. She needs to know she is a fucking rancid pile of shit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

A few notes - 

The whole 'elite colleges' is bullshit. It's been a reich-wing talking point for awhile now and they've been using every opportunity this chaos brings to get any college president they don't like fired. And so far those presidents have all been...female. So the next time you hear some gop crybaby on the news demanding that these universities do something about the horrible nasty protesters, double-check on exactly who the president is of the university they are name-dropping. Because it's probably a female, a minority, or both. 

If you think there are anti-Semites in those protests, good eye. If you think they were invited, bad form. Right now, these protests easily attract bad actors that are only there to cause shit and then blend into the background. They did it during the BLM marches where those that were caught on camera doing stupid shit were found to be out-of-towners/members of white supremist loser groups that used the crowds to cause problems that would then be blamed on those people peacefully marching. But don't fret, they'll be wearing their red hats again soon enough. If a certain fart machine decides to demand another test of allegiance, the only way to show that is by putting on that blazing 'I'm a moron' hat. 

And right now, Rafah is packed gut to butt with displaced refugees. How many children do you think the IDF is going to outright murder in order to claim they 'got 'em!'. :| They aren't going to go through there carefully looking for the 'bad guy'. They are going to bomb the shit out of everything, claim the holes left behind are proof of terror tunnels and not blasted to nothing sewers, and if there is any ground work it will include shooting literally anything that moves. Netanyahu thinks he's some sort of reincarnated Levite priest ordering the complete destruction of a country's lawful occupants because the desert winds told him to. Either that or reincarnated Hitler since that timings right too and its still about the genocide. 

Is George W. Bush Jewish? Because a lot of the above "antisemitism" is basically the same criticisms thrown his way for his handling of "the war on terror." :headspinning:

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Is George W. Bush Jewish? Because a lot of the above "antisemitism" is basically the same criticisms thrown his way for his handling of "the war on terror." :headspinning:

Dafuq....

Wait, I need context... let's go read Katt post

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Sarcastic commentary on cries of "antisemitism" levied at people concerned about Palestinians. It made sense in my head.

Your head is a fuckin idiot. Don’t listen to it anymore 

• Thanks 1

You get a "Shut up Scoob" for that one Doomy.

For what it's worth, GW Bush didn't mishandle a war operation (in fact, the US Military was exceedingly efficient in Iraq), he invaded a country on false pretenses.  It's the exact opposite situation with Israel - they had the best reason to hunt down Hamas, they just completely butchered the hunt.

10 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

You get a "Shut up Scoob" for that one Doomy.

For what it's worth, GW Bush didn't mishandle a war operation (in fact, the US Military was exceedingly efficient in Iraq), he invaded a country on false pretenses.  It's the exact opposite situation with Israel - they had the best reason to hunt down all Palestinians.

24 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

The mandate wasn't to hunt down all Palestinians, it was to target and remove Hamas.

But that translated to hunting down all Palestinians especially when Netanyahu and the Defense Minister say there are no innocent Palestinians.  They don’t hide their intentions to commit war crimes 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

But that translated to hunting down all Palestinians especially when Netanyahu and the Defense Minister say there are no innocent Palestinians.  They don’t hide their intentions to commit war crimes 

Unquestionably, and all to save their political lives rather than for the good of the people they serve.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

George W Bush thought he was related to Chuck Norris because his middle name is 'Walker'. :| 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Unquestionably, and all to save their political lives rather than for the good of the people they serve.

No one can focus on Netanyahu and his extreme right wing party’s corruption and destruction of the Israeli courts when we’re all too horrified by mass death and destruction 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He says that Israel is violating American law by not allowing the aid we send in, but it’s unlikely that we will hold them accountable. All this and our elected officials still voted to give Israel 26bn in aid 12 more billion than what was originally stated. I love Bernie. Love what he’s saying but we’re allowing this by funding it

• Like 4

The IDF needs retraining so that when Settlers block aid from getting in, the IDF actually does something about it instead of allowing them to block it.  The settlers living in the settlements are fuckin bat shit insane and they need to be stopped 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Israel tells Egypt it’s giving hostage deal ‘last chance’ before launching Rafah op

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-tells-egypt-its-giving-hostage-deal-last-chance-before-launching-rafah-op/

"Talks between Israeli officials and a top-level Egyptian delegation sent to discuss Israel’s impending offensive in Rafah and efforts to reach a hostage deal with Hamas ended on Friday, with Israel reportedly warning that this was the “last chance” for a truce agreement before Israel launched its long-planned assault.

A senior Israeli official told Hebrew media that talks were “very good, focused, held in good spirits and progressed in all parameters.”

The official told Ynet that the Egyptians seem willing to pressure Hamas toward reaching a deal and that “in the background, there are very serious intentions from Israel to move ahead in Rafah.”

The Israeli official said Israel warned it would not agree to foot-dragging by Hamas, particularly its leader in Gaza Yahya Sinwar, on the hostage deal in a bid to forestall the Israel Defense Forces operation and noted that reserve forces have been called up. “This is the last chance before we go into Rafah,” the official said, according to Channel 12 news."

Israel continues to try and solve this peacefully, but Hamas continues to refuse. Israel needs to just finish the job at this point. The people in Gaza cant be free, and there can be no lasting peace of any kind until Hamas is wiped out.

• Haha 2
  • D'oh 1

8 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Israel continues to try and solve this peacefully, but Hamas continues to refuse. Israel needs to just finish the job at this point. The people in Gaza cant be free, and there can be no lasting peace of any kind until Hamas is wiped out.

How can you seriously say this?  

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

How can you seriously say this?  

An Israeli government official said the Israeli government has done nothing wrong ever.

They know best and would never say anything dishonest ever. You have to believe them at all times and if you don't, you obviously hate Jews.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, naraku360 said:

An Israeli government official said the Israeli government has done nothing wrong ever.

They know best and would never say anything dishonest ever. You have to believe them at all times and if you don't, you obviously hate Jews.

I hate that the discourse has become anything said against Israel is a blow to Jews everywhere.  Especially since there’s been an increase in actual antisemitism since Oct 7. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate that the discourse has become anything said against Israel is a blow to Jews everywhere.  Especially since there’s been an increase in actual antisemitism since Oct 7. 

I wonder if the reason Ginguy left was because his employer realized they were paying for the dumbest shit ever.... or was murdered by Ginguy for a faster payout, and we're left with MD because she's too stupid to realize the checks have stopped.

I'm not even religious and I feel condescended to.

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 1

something i noticed, as i'm sure many did. 

this has been spun so strangely:

obama is arrested/detained at columbia for demostrating anti-war/israel. the media ran the story, let it sit and stew for the weekend. 

come monday, more schools have issues and NOW they are ALL anti-Semite. the media GLADLY let that run for the better part of 2 weeks until this  weekend, where, thankfully, a tornado came blasting through the front pages, and now sunday morning...or so, it's anti-Israel, and today it's pro-palestine. i'm not going anywhere with this, but to say kudos to those students. keep fighting the good fight.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, discolé monade said:

something i noticed, as i'm sure many did. 

this has been spun so strangely:

obama is arrested/detained at columbia for demostrating anti-war/israel. the media ran the story, let it sit and stew for the weekend. 

come monday, more schools have issues and NOW they are ALL anti-Semite. the media GLADLY let that run for the better part of 2 weeks until this  weekend, where, thankfully, a tornado came blasting through the front pages, and now sunday morning...or so, it's anti-Israel, and today it's pro-palestine. i'm not going anywhere with this, but to say kudos to those students. keep fighting the good fight.

It's predictable, at least.

What hasn't gotten enough attention is how much of a despot Netanyahu is.  He's like a one of the kings in the Torah - which is to say he's more or less acting like a Bronze Age warlord hiding behind religion to get what he wants, and what he wants more than anything now is to paint those speaking out against his ruthless behavior as antisemites because that's the easiest way for him to deflect blame.

And we played into it by failing to give Pro-Palestinian rallies the proper context.  You may have hears about an incident that happened here in the LA area where some old guy carrying an Israeli flag got in the face of a Palestinian supporter who promptly shoved him and caused him to hit his head and die.  For weeks after that, pro Israeli supporters wanted the man to be charged with a hate crime, even though it was quite obvious that this was a volatile situation the ended tragically for two people.  The fact of the matter is the local news should never have allowed those calls to be reported:  it was the biased opinion of people who were not party to the investigation which, at this point, has not seemingly found any reason to call it a hate crime.  All news organizations have been more interested in reporting how people are feeling or reacting than allowing that discourse to happen out on the streets, and that leads to a situation where opinions become rumors and fuel the fevered pitch of the debate.  In general, the media, in a misguided attempt to be more open (and of course drawing eyeballs to the sensational reports), has made the mistake of blending in opinion with fact.  That in turn allows stupid people to distrust reporting that, while otherwise balanced and fair, doesn't reflect their opinions.  If a reporter shows up to the scene of house fire, why isn't there someone outside asking the question that every racist asks about there being too many illegals living in the house?  It's utterly absurd, but that's the dynamic that's fueled the rise of Fox News and created the absurd idea that main stream media is somehow biased.

• Like 2

Protestors took a building at Columbia University. Hamilton Hall, which they renamed “Hind’s Hall” named for the 6 yo who was murdered along with her family by IDF soldiers in tanks.  The family was fleeing northern Gaza, as instructed, but the IDF made all escape routes unsafe. 

The building was taken over by possibly students but I’m not so sure. The protesters were shouting “globalize the Intifada” and anyone saying that’s not antisemitism to shout that, is a fuckin sorry asshole, cuz that’s not unclear, that’s a call to attack Jews wherever they might be. 

Columbia protests are all for show and I’ll tell you why I now believe this. The students and faculty have been negotiating. Columbia refuses to pull their funds out of Israeli businesses. A lot of universities have study abroad that goes both ways and education partners. The University offered to spend money for aide and education to Gaza (since Israel’s IDF destroyed almost every school and university) and the students said “no”. So how much do these students want to help Palestinians actually?  Mind you nothing Columbia does in partnership w Israel pays for the bombs that are falling in Gaza or the tanks destroying everything that’s left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

Protestors took a building at Columbia University. Hamilton Hall, which they renamed “Hind’s Hall” named for the 6 yo who was murdered along with her family by IDF soldiers in tanks.  The family was fleeing northern Gaza, as instructed, but the IDF made all escape routes unsafe. 

The building was taken over by possibly students but I’m not so sure. The protesters were shouting “globalize the Intifada” and anyone saying that’s not antisemitism to shout that, is a fuckin sorry asshole, cuz that’s not unclear, that’s a call to attack Jews wherever they might be. 

Columbia protests are all for show and I’ll tell you why I now believe this. The students and faculty have been negotiating. Columbia refuses to pull their funds out of Israeli businesses. A lot of universities have study abroad that goes both ways and education partners. The University offered to spend money for aide and education to Gaza (since Israel’s IDF destroyed almost every school and university) and the students said “no”. So how much do these students want to help Palestinians actually?  Mind you nothing Columbus does in partnership w Israel pays for the bombs that are falling in Gaza or the tanks destroying everything that’s left. 

that last part, where do i find that? i like to know exactly. 

but none the less, i do believe there are more there for the pro palistine, anti-genocide, anti-war. 

i'm trying to put comparisons together with the 1968 protests. 

in the grand scheme, the world is burning quite lovely, would everyone agree?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

that last part, where do i find that? i like to know exactly. 

but none the less, i do believe there are more there for the pro palistine, anti-genocide, anti-war. 

i'm trying to put comparisons together with the 1968 protests. 

in the grand scheme, the world is burning quite lovely, would everyone agree?

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/29/columbia-protest-new-york-00154939

the students could have actually helped the Palestinians in a tangible way.  Columbia is building a sister campus in Israel. They’re not going to divest.  Maybe the students thought, what good is helping w education when nothing is allowed to stay standing?  Columbia also offered health aide.  

most of the students are definitely protesting in good faith.  Israel is engaging in ethnic cleansing ofc people will and should protest. Unfortunately the actual antisemites are getting most of the attention and the “but it’s an insignificant number of people” argument is something I’m beginning to have a problem with.  

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Columbia protests are all for show and I’ll tell you why I now believe this. The students and faculty have been negotiating. Columbia refuses to pull their funds out of Israeli businesses. A lot of universities have study abroad that goes both ways and education partners. The University offered to spend money for aide and education to Gaza (since Israel’s IDF destroyed almost every school and university) and the students said “no”. So how much do these students want to help Palestinians actually?  Mind you nothing Columbus does in partnership w Israel pays for the bombs that are falling in Gaza or the tanks destroying everything that’s left. 

I think it might be the same here at USC.  Yesterday the president of the university recounted how the protestors left their meeting without considering it a win (her words).  Up to this point I don't think an actual list of demands has been provided to the media, so it makes me wonder if they left that meeting in part because they don't entirely know what they want.  To be clear, I'm not questioning their goal.  It just seems like they have no real idea on how to achieve that, and that is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I think it might be the same here at USC.  Yesterday the president of the university recounted how the protestors left their meeting without considering it a win (her words).  Up to this point I don't think an actual list of demands has been provided to the media, so it makes me wonder if they left that meeting in part because they don't entirely know what they want.  To be clear, I'm not questioning their goal.  It just seems like they have no real idea on how to achieve that, and that is a recipe for disaster.

The students at Columbia had a list of demands it’s in this article 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/pro-palestinian-protesters-occupy-building-columbia-university-cnn-2024-04-30/#:~:text=Protesters on the Manhattan campus,their part in the protests.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

The demands are pretty reasonable. They want transparency with university spending and divestment from companies benefiting from the current state of Israel’s government and politics.  

I was able to find this:  https://ugc.production.linktr.ee/63344e8e-21c4-427a-9ae2-7fc3c8c34fcb_DivestFromDeath.NewsRelease.pdf

The demands are fairly similar.  Items 2, 4 and 5 are highly problematic and likely unachievable:

2. Complete Academic Boycott of Israel. USC must end its study abroad programs at Hebrew University's Rothenberg International School and Reichman University and sever all academic ties and research cooperation with Israeli universities.

4. Stop the Displacement, from South Central to Palestine. No land grabs, whether in South Central, Tongva territory, or Palestine. Cease expansion, provide reparations, and support housing for low-income South Central residents. No development by USC without genuine community control.

5. No Policing on Campus. End the targeted repression and harassment of Black, Brown, and palestinian students and their allies on and off campus, including through university disciplinary processes. Defund the Department of Public Safety and disclose and sever all ties with the LAPD.

For reference the DPS is a basically an armed security service on the campus.  They don't actually have police powers, hence the ultimate response by LAPD.  UCLA, by comparison, has its own police department.  It would be unreasonable to remove all policing from the USC campus.

Cutting off study abroad programs actually runs counter to the university's mission.  It's not only unreasonable, it doesn't really do anything about the Israeli government.

Item four is actually an interesting point that deserves attention.  USC has been buying up land around the main campus for years and its activities have directly led to displacement of residents in the area.  While getting community approval for such land grabs is impossible and the idea of reparations is laughable, it is still something the university needs to address and plan for the community should be shared along with a serious expansion of affordable housing.  It doesn't belong in a protest for Palestine, though.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I was able to find this:  https://ugc.production.linktr.ee/63344e8e-21c4-427a-9ae2-7fc3c8c34fcb_DivestFromDeath.NewsRelease.pdf

The demands are fairly similar.  Items 2, 4 and 5 are highly problematic and likely unachievable:

For reference the DPS is a basically an armed security service on the campus.  They don't actually have police powers, hence the ultimate response by LAPD.  UCLA, by comparison, has its own police department.  It would be unreasonable to remove all policing from the USC campus.

Cutting off study abroad programs actually runs counter to the university's mission.  It's not only unreasonable, it doesn't really do anything about the Israeli government.

Item four is actually an interesting point that deserves attention.  USC has been buying up land around the main campus for years and its activities have directly led to displacement of residents in the area.  While getting community approval for such land grabs is impossible and the idea of reparations is laughable, it is still something the university needs to address and plan for the community should be shared along with a serious expansion of affordable housing.  It doesn't belong in a protest for Palestine, though.

Yeah, they aren’t getting any of that, most definitely not 2 or 4. Columbia uses eminent domain. I see signs on apartment buildings and businesses a lot protesting it.  They just take property and pay for it in shit and pee water or might as well be cuz displaced renters get nothing but a “don’t let the door hit you on the ass on your way out! Or do, we don’t care!”

• Like 2

Yeah, they aren’t getting any of that, most definitely not 2 or 4. Columbia uses eminent domain. I see signs on apartment buildings and businesses a lot protesting it.  They just take property and pay for it in shit and pee water or might as well be cuz displaced renters get nothing but a “don’t let the door hit you on the ass on your way out! Or do, we don’t care!”

It's disgusting, really.  Private universities are worse because they don't have the state breathing down their necks every time someone in the community writes a strongly worded letter to the governor.  They also tend to be in poorer or less developed neighborhoods at first and use their immense endowments to fund land grabs on cheap land.  Palo Alto is a perfect example of that.  Before Stanford went on its endowment blitz it was just an outlying suburb of San Jose bordering the marshes at the bottom of San Francisco Bay.  Now those houses are multi-million. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I don't think I have much to add here. As far as what I'm familiar with goes, I don't have any real disagreements that would come to mind.

The only thing you and Pooh haven't mentioned is that I don't think they should be asking for a blanket reversal of disciplinary action. The majority may be well meaning, but it should be case-by-case to weed out the ones that were pushing for violence against Jews, who should actually receive the punishment. The good faith protesters shouldn't be punished for the actions of bad faith ones, and the bad faith ones shouldn't walk away without consequence.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

I don't think I have much to add here. As far as what I'm familiar with goes, I don't have any real disagreements that would come to mind.

The only thing you and Pooh haven't mentioned is that I don't think they should be asking for a blanket reversal of disciplinary action. The majority may be well meaning, but it should be case-by-case to weed out the ones that were pushing for violence against Jews, who should actually receive the punishment. The good faith protesters shouldn't be punished for the actions of bad faith ones, and the bad faith ones shouldn't walk away without consequence.

In USC's case, I don't know of anyone blatantly chanting for "global infitada" or anything genocidal.  Someone did deface Tommy Trojan and the fountain in front of Doeheny, not with anything like that, but I don't believe a suspect was identified. The valedictorian who was scrubbed (Asna Tabassum) because of "safety" linked in an X or Instagram post to a website that purportedly called for the abolishment of the Jewish state, but I haven't been able to verify it and the fact the University didn't openly condemn her would suggest that might be a gross misrepresentation of what was on that site.  That's all to say that USC likely won't punish any students for participating and likely won't press charges against any of the protestors that were arrested earlier.

18 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

You’re absolutely right I agree 100%. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Looks like all the protestors in Hamilton Hall were arrested. The police are stationed in front of campus buildings to keep students from going outside.

The encampment was also cleared out. This wasn’t a win for free speech and debate that higher education is supposed to encourage 

• Like 3

CNN is claiming outside agitators (which honestly wouldn’t surprise me, this sort of thing is what Russian and GOP elements want) although local student radio is pushing back against that narrative.

What a shit show.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jman said:

CNN is claiming outside agitators (which honestly wouldn’t surprise me, this sort of thing is what Russian and GOP elements want) although local student radio is pushing back against that narrative.

What a shit show.

Yeah I'd love to see the proof of that because it's so easy to make that up.

31 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Yeah I'd love to see the proof of that because it's so easy to make that up.

He said "wouldn't be surprised" suggesting he isn't stating fact.

And historically, just about every civil rights protest has had people trying to discredit them by sneaking in to start shit. This is one of the most common tactics for snuffing out movements.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, naraku360 said:

He said "wouldn't be surprised" suggesting he isn't stating fact.

And historically, just about every civil rights protest has had people trying to discredit them by sneaking in to start shit. This is one of the most common tactics for snuffing out movements.

So far the only evidence is "their tactics escalated"

Their tactics were occupying an admin building and setting up barricades AKA knocking stuff over to block hallways 

Truly only something taught by a master outside agitator