UnevenEdge

THE “ALGORITHM”

SwimOdin

Does the “algorithm” “get” you? Does YouTube suggest the perfect videos, or things outside of your interest? Does instagram give you the pics you opine for?

I’ve finally got YouTube right. Instagram thinks I want Taylor Swift and golden retrievers. I do not!

So, they doing it for you?

YouTube has me pegged, but I pretty much put the same shit on as background noise so it's not hard to find what I watch for it. 

Interestingly enough,  I'm thinking it was broken last week because I would throw on dorkly and then it would serve up longplays.... I don't watch longplays, then it would transition into retro cartoons...which I actually was enjoying.

I hated when that girl was living here, she watched a bunch of R&B videos and it would randomly play those. I finally got them filtered out.

FB is trash....no shit someone called me from a crowded venue, and I said I can't hear you, then hung up. As soon as I hung up the phone and went to FB, my feed was flooded with hearing aid ads. 

It's just so fucking blatant that I hate it....I sometimes search for weird shit just to test it.

On 7/25/2023 at 6:55 PM, PenguinBoss said:

It's okay. I still get Game Grumps compilations every now and then, despite not having watched them in 5+ years and clicking "Not interested" or "ignore channel" every time one comes up.

Wtf is up with game grumps and fucking JonTron invading my recs....but in fairness, I will put on some avgn and that's pretty much the same thing

I hated the FB algorithm when I used it, there would be that one guy who'd post political trainwrecks and I'd do the old slow down to view the disaster here and there, then FB thought that's all I wanted to see. My personal Twitter figured out what I actually liked to mindlessly scroll, a weird combination of politics/elections twitter/video game whatevers.

YouTube is kinda doing that drive-by thing right now that FB used to do, but I don't actually watch a variety of stuff on it so I can't say it makes a difference.

• Like 1

It's hard to say. Some nights, it's got me right in my nostalgia center and feeds me the things that feed me soul food.
Others, not so much. They mostly suggest things I've already seen and are re-posted over and over. Then again, I have to see things over and over because I watch them during work, and don't really get a chance to "watch" them. I just play them in the background for white noise to drown out humanity or the darkness that has been invading my thoughts more and more. I then have to watch/see them AFTER work, because I have a little bit of time, but wind up falling asleep on them, because I work overnights. So, I have to pull them up AGAIN. This time for white noise during work.....and you see the cycle.
Facebook's/Instagram's/Meta's algorithm is atrocious, period. Full goddamn stop.
TikTok has gotten me better lately.

Edited by lupin_bebop

The makeup, shampoo and feminine hygiene products on YouTube are fine but all the dog food ads just rub it in that our toy poodle died almost 3 years ago. 

meow...

Edited by Heshi
Lost track of time
  • Like 2

i don't pay attention to ads much on YouTube, but most of them seem to miss. i think there's been a few that are closer to being on target i guess. 

Spotify's music algorithm is pretty damn good for me though. i go through musical cravings and need something fresh to generate dopamine a lot, and when i start listening to a certain type it usually picks up on it and i get decent daily playlists pretty regularly. 

Instagrams ads have been really on point, and I've even clicked on a few on purpose, which is kind of unheard of for me. attractive queer coded people and products aimed at queer people is probably the biggest factor, though. YouTube really fails in that regard, because like I've gotten ads and content suggested that are very much not even remotely queer friendly. like, whose idea was it to put a homophobic chicken place ad on a video essay about trans rights? who thought that was a good idea?

50 minutes ago, Lynnrael said:

i don't pay attention to ads much on YouTube, but most of them seem to miss. i think there's been a few that are closer to being on target i guess. 

Spotify's music algorithm is pretty damn good for me though. i go through musical cravings and need something fresh to generate dopamine a lot, and when i start listening to a certain type it usually picks up on it and i get decent daily playlists pretty regularly. 

Instagrams ads have been really on point, and I've even clicked on a few on purpose, which is kind of unheard of for me. attractive queer coded people and products aimed at queer people is probably the biggest factor, though. YouTube really fails in that regard, because like I've gotten ads and content suggested that are very much not even remotely queer friendly. like, whose idea was it to put a homophobic chicken place ad on a video essay about trans rights? who thought that was a good idea?

I've looked forward to seeing the updated weekly release radar play list for ages, music has been huge for my coping so yeah the Spotify algorithm has introduced me to so many awesome musicians I was unaware of...

I mostly watch trans girls or gun tubers on YouTube so good luck figuring that out (one moment watching trans makeup tips from Victoria Rose the next I'm watching Garand Thumb destroy a ballistic dummy) meow

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Heshi said:

I've looked forward to seeing the updated weekly release radar play list for ages, music has been huge for my coping so yeah the Spotify algorithm has introduced me to so many awesome musicians I was unaware of...

I mostly watch trans girls or gun tubers on YouTube so good luck figuring that out (one moment watching trans makeup tips from Victoria Rose the next I'm watching Garand Thumb destroy a ballistic dummy) meow

what's funny to me is my music habits are very much like your YouTube habits. I'll go from something like days n daze or escape from the zoo to, like, 100 gecs or the pom poms and then pivot into pop punk or something else. i have no idea how Spotify keeps up with me. I'm getting close to having 5k liked songs lol

I'm surprised there's not at least a few trans guntubers. i bet there's more of a market for that than most people would think lol

7 hours ago, Lynnrael said:

what's funny to me is my music habits are very much like your YouTube habits. I'll go from something like days n daze or escape from the zoo to, like, 100 gecs or the pom poms and then pivot into pop punk or something else. i have no idea how Spotify keeps up with me. I'm getting close to having 5k liked songs lol

I'm surprised there's not at least a few trans guntubers. i bet there's more of a market for that than most people would think lol

Teeheehee meow I keep jumping between death metal and Katy Perry 🤪

My trans gf and I have talked about a shooting date with our AR-15s 😮 cans or whatnot...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vamped said:

Have you seen The Glory??

or Love ft. Marriage and Divorce

I just finished Crash Course in Romance 

I plan to watch The Glory...I've been doing anime lately.  Actually now I'm interested again...I might start glory in a min.   Don't know Love ft. M D...maybe it hasn't recommended it to me because unless it's sappy cute-meet romance I gravitate towards supernatural or "period"...but not actually period of course, fantasy period xD  I just find it funny that they call them historical dramas xD

Not YT, but Spotify.  I have one block of songs that go really well together.  There aren't enough to last 10 hrs, so Spotify tries to stick in "songs you might like" in that are nowhere near what the theme of the music is.  I just stumbled across something and have downloaded & installed it, we'll see this week if it does all it claims.