UnevenEdge

Dating is hard in 2023

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Cool.  Well, now I really want to know what these “past prime assets” are.  I mean if it’s her wit, maybe you shouldn’t be trawling the dementia ward my dude.

Same as they are for men: Looks, sex appeal, ability to have/raise kids, sanity. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lynnrael said:

dating is hard because consent is too important? I'm sorry, what the fuck? 

the reason dating is harder is the same reason everything sucks more: we live in an increasingly commodified society where dating and sex are products, while any and all of our traditional forms of building community and socializing have been stripped away by capitalism. workplaces have always been alienating, but that is getting worse and worse and the rest of our society is also increasingly alienated. we used to have public spaces where it was considered normal to go and just hang out, but those are being commodified too, and social interaction without spending money is becoming more difficult to do. meanwhile almost all of us have to work more and spend more of our life worrying about survival. 

dating is hard because we live in a capitalist dystopian hell hole. 

and heres the correct answer i believe. 

society is deteriorating at all levels, including dating. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, eklipse said:

Can your friends set you up?  

The apps sound horrible.  It seems like people wouldn’t want to spend the time to get to know someone because they can always swipe for someone else.  What’s it called (?), choice paralysis or whatever.  

Although I have a couple of friends who met their husbands on apps but I don’t know which ones and this was a long time ago.

My friends are either single with baby daddy issues or divorced :LithiumSmileyLaugh: 

one of them will be my platonic life partner. I’ll make them. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 5:42 PM, UnDeRwOrlDpRiNcEsS said:

Like why? :LithiumSmileyIndifferent:

People have too high standards or expectations these days? 

People are stranger these days?

People are people? haha IDK

I never found it hard to date when I want to. I have been single for the last couple of years but just because I have been really busy with my career. The last chick I dated was one that I have been on and off again with for many years. We have always been friends and we have dated for a year or so every couple years haha but she moved and I had to move around for work so I have just been single for the last couple years. I have casually dated a few people in between for short periods of time and I am sure it would be easy for me to find a gf right now if I wanted one.  

For me, it is just that relationships in general get harder as I get older due to my career and obligations etc. 

I think a serious answer would be… people are focused on desire much more than compatibility.

One should take stock in what they honestly have to offer, what flaws they have, and what they need in a partner.

They should strive to mitigate some of their bigger flaws.

Then they should just meet people until they find somebody that’s close enough to what they need and see if they can meet the needs of the other person.

TLDR: See what’s right with you, see what’s wrong with you, see what you need. Then go out and try to find someone that fits those parameters and then work to split the difference. If you have hobbies, maybe go to places that those hobbies exist. If you’re having problems assessing your own flaws, go find an asshole to tell you what’s wrong with you and see if you can see it yourself.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, UnDeRwOrlDpRiNcEsS said:

My friends are either single with baby daddy issues or divorced :LithiumSmileyLaugh: 

one of them will be my platonic life partner. I’ll make them. 

That’s great you have other single friends to commiserate with at least.  You guys can share dating horror stories with each other.  :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

• Haha 1