UnevenEdge

2024 Presidential Elections: the schadenfreude commences

NewBluntsworth

"Probably every president could be attacked for hiding some kind of physically disability. Franklin Roosevelt hard hardening of the arteries. What did Kennedy have? Addison's disease. Lincoln had depression. Grover Cleveland had cancer. Woodrow Wilson had multiple strokes. And God knows what kind of venereal diseases Warren Harding had."

--- a statement I heard tonight

23 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

and everything moves according to plan. i am in complete agreement that the democratic party SHOULD have been MORE focused on trump's performance, 

instead of pointing out that the scotus ruling, the project 2025 and trump's continued lying and manipulation. no one is talking about his latest speech in florida, where he went on one of his nonsensical journeys. no, the dems helped continue an already divided party. 

it's really wild, and extrordinary, and fantastic to watch this history. and it frightens me. 

These times are scary. Especially if you rely on any government services like SSI Medicare or SNAP, even Medicaid to a lesser extent (Medicaid is mostly state financed, I think)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

Biden is done. Too many congressional democrats are starting to come out of the woodwork saying he’s not fit for 4 more years.  I don’t see a way where he’s the candidate in November. Not if democracy is at stake, like they say.  He can’t remain the candidate simply because we’re gonna vote for him regardless because Trump can’t be allowed to take that office again.  Trump wins in November and this country will suffer for a long time.  We are already in trouble from his first stint in office. 

I think there’s enough evidence to suggest he’s probably not going to physically hold up for four more years, and now is the time to address it by getting Kamala out there.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I think there’s enough evidence to suggest he’s probably not going to physically hold up for four more years, and now is the time to address it by getting Kamala out there.

That’s a tough one cuz if they start hyping up Kamala now, and Biden doesn’t keep his promise of not running a second term, it’s gonna be awkward if he wins.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Belize said:

"Probably every president could be attacked for hiding some kind of physically disability. Franklin Roosevelt hard hardening of the arteries. What did Kennedy have? Addison's disease. Lincoln had depression. Grover Cleveland had cancer. Woodrow Wilson had multiple strokes. And God knows what kind of venereal diseases Warren Harding had."

--- a statement I heard tonight

Besides the strokes those other illnesses aren’t as potentially crippling to cognitive abilities like Parkinson’s can be. 
It’s not about hiding illness it’s about the type of illness

• Like 1

What's happening with Democrats is old school politics. Biden is *not* going to drop out. The Democrats in Congress who think Biden is going to hurt their reelection chances are running away from him. The same thing happened to then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Democrats who thought Pelosi was hurting them personally criticized her and said they would not support her as Speaker. 

Biden greatly helped himself with this press conference. He should do them more often. It'll significantly help him. He should figure out he has everybody's attention, and that's actually a *good thing*. 

1 minute ago, Belize said:

What's happening with Democrats is old school politics. Biden is *not* going to drop out. The Democrats in Congress who think Biden is going to hurt their reelection chances are running away from him. The same thing happened to then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Democrats who thought Pelosi was hurting them personally criticized her and said they would not support her as Speaker. 

Biden greatly helped himself with this press conference. He should do them more often. It'll significantly help him. He should figure out he has everybody's attention, and that's actually a *good thing*. 

*Biden rips the biggest one in human history*

Belize:

brown-nose.gif

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, naraku360 said:

*Biden rips the biggest one in human history*

Belize:

brown-nose.gif

But seriously, candidates would kill for the kind of attention Biden is getting right now. It's the kind of free attention the media gave Trump in 2016, when they aired Trump campaign speeches without interruption.

With Trump, the media thought he was going to say outrageous things. Horrible things that would ruin his candidacy. But instead, Trump used that publicity to benefit him.

This sounds familiar, right? Media is airing Biden speeches uninterrupted, thinking he's going to screw up. But can you guess what could very well happen?

I'll spell it out: Biden completely has the floor. A bunch of people are expecting Biden to majorly screw up. But suddenly, Biden starts talking at length about how extensive his foreign policy experience is or how GDP growth is going to be strong for the year. 

So they've just given Biden the ability to promote himself to a wide audience. 

28 minutes ago, Belize said:

I'll spell it out: Biden completely has the floor. A bunch of people are expecting Biden to majorly screw up. But suddenly, Biden starts talking at length about how extensive his foreign policy experience is or how GDP growth is going to be strong for the year. 

So they've just given Biden the ability to promote himself to a wide audience. 

kiss-dylanobrien.gif.fc67ba08ad1926c6c17ec9aa0e7a7117.gif

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, naraku360 said:

The problem is that they spent years focusing on Trump's cognitive problems so hard for so long instead of the more important policy issues and now nothing the Democrat mainstream outlets aren't really taken seriously.

Trump's debate performance wasn't exactly stunning. He couldn't capitalize on any of Biden's gaffs from what I saw, and that's a pretty low bar in a debate of this..... caliber.

although his prformance wasn't stunning, i'm not concernd with performing monkey's. everything that came out of trumps mouth was a lie. everthing. that's the performance i'm talking about. lol. we base our presidential elections on dog and pony shows....lol. ok. 

• Like 1

Confession: I wasn't that horrified by Biden's performance at the June 27 debate, and find the weeks long reaction to it very overblown. 

Edit: In the snap polls immediately after the debate, 33% of people thought Biden won the debate. So I assume others feel the same.

Edited by Belize

So the press conference yesterday.......It wasnt a total disaster, but it also wasnt some sort of shining example of why people should be comfortable thinking Biden can make it another 4 years.  I actually didnt think it was entirely horrible, but the problem for Biden are the two biggest soundbites to come out of yesterday.

President Putin

Vice President Trump

Thats whats making the rounds, and thats what people remember from yesterday. Within minutes the memes were flying, and Trump was fundraising off of the VP Trump thing. Biden has always been a gaff machine, but when the entire world is wondering if his brains are mush he cant make those kind of gaffs.

Yesterday was probably enough to keep Biden in the race, but not alter the trajectory of the race. Which is about the worst possible thing for Democrats right now because Trump is currently winning.

I didn't watch the June 27 debate in it's entirety but of the moments that people are saying Biden was really bad in, I thought it was just a person having an embarrassing public speaking moment. 

Which has happened to me before. But then I forgot about it because I wouldn't judge someone by that anyway. 

• Haha 1

Heres the article

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/12/us/politics/biden-donors-money.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

"Some major Democratic donors have told the largest pro-Biden super PAC, Future Forward, that roughly $90 million in pledged donations is now on hold if President Biden remains atop the ticket, according to two people who have been briefed on the conversations."

If this holds, then its over. Either Biden drops out to release the funding, or he stays in the race but lacks the financial support to be competitive.

• Like 3

I don't know whether the donors putting on hold their donations will affect Biden's decision to stay in the race or not. But what he could do is stay in the race and re-convince them later to donate. They've already donated to him, and it wouldn't take that much to get them to do so again. 

edit: Assuming this actually a real threat by some rich donors and not a thinly sourced news article that doesn't know what's going on. 

Edited by Belize

I would like to add this.

"Biden should keep running even if a bunch of rich donors threaten to stop donating; he can always come back to them anyway" is a complex strategy known as "calling someone's bluff".

Assuming it's an actual concrete threat by a bunch of rich people. 

Yeahhh, the gambit sounds poorly thought out. Actually withholding donations probably does more to help Trump win than using those donations for Biden's campaign.

But it still feels pretty bad to have the party say "I know you don't want this guy representing you.. but you don't get a say in the matter."

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Yeahhh, the gambit sounds poorly thought out.

This phrase describes the whole plan of getting Biden to drop out because you're scared of losing. 

5 hours ago, Belize said:

Confession: I wasn't that horrified by Biden's performance at the June 27 debate, and find the weeks long reaction to it very overblown. 

this is the exact point though, and media is doing a fantastic job.

what we are witnessing is the fall of the american empire. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Belize said:

This is like me confessing that my avatar is a bird.

Edited by naraku360
  • Haha 4

Does, I think, raise a small concern that the big "fuck you" energy they're putting out is just going to get a lot of voters to decide to just stay home. Doesn't feel like the response of a party that's earned their voters' support.

At the very least, they could be pushing this in a way that doesn't sound like "go fuck yourselves."

On 7/11/2024 at 8:14 PM, 1pooh4u said:

1-2-3-4 we can’t take Trump anymore!

5-6-7-8 let’s get his heart rate to 268!

I'd have a side bet that Melania offs him & runs to Slovenia.

• Haha 4

Rep. Random Democrat from Texas decided to go directly for the final boss while only being Level 5. 

They didn't think it through.

It was actually pretty funny. 

Edited by Belize

57 minutes ago, Belize said:

The idea that Rep. Random Democrat from Texas' 99th Congressional district could pressure the president of the United States to drop out always seemed a little rich. 

See, posts like this is why people take shots at you.  You even sound like Biden.  he always begins with saying “the idea that…” when he’s about to be a condescending shit 

2 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

See, posts like this is why people take shots at you.  You even sound like Biden.  he always begins with saying “the idea that…” when he’s about to be a condescending shit 

Yes yes. I know you don't like it when you realize I'm actually correct. 

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 1