UnevenEdge

demarco teases an announcement later today

I figured that if there'd be a new FLCL sequel, it'd be from the original creators and attempt to show the people who made Progressive and Alternative how its done. But this... well, if DeMarco keeps this up, I don't think Toonami is going to survive to its 30th anniversary. 😛

I mean, maybe it could work better now that these new creative teams are free from the baggage that plagued the previous sequels, since now there's no need to ape the style of the original or subvert it in a significant way. On the other hand, I think Alternative would've worked better as a completely original project. At least the other new series they're making looks interesting.

15 minutes ago, Blatch said:

I figured that if there'd be a new FLCL sequel, it'd be from the original creators and attempt to show the people who made Progressive and Alternative how its done. But this... well, if DeMarco keeps this up, I don't think Toonami is going to survive to its 30th anniversary. 😛

I mean, maybe it could work better now that these new creative teams are free from the baggage that plagued the previous sequels, since now there's no need to ape the style of the original or subvert it in a significant way. On the other hand, I think Alternative would've worked better as a completely original project. At least the other new series they're making looks interesting.

shockingly the toonami discord and sub-reddit seems to love the news of more FLCL

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DBAss said:

I thought Cowboy Bebop was his favorite. Am surprised we haven't gotten three more seasons of it made under Demarco

Even he's gone on record knowing that such a thing would be universally condemned.  

So let me guess, Netflix is getting Chainsaw Man to counter this?  I mean, it's just...no one cares about FLCL!  They did, at that one point, but it was a complete story.  No one was clamoring for a sequel, much less four.  It's like Eureka 7, where every entry after the original gets worse and worse until people forget why they liked the original in the first place.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

While I don't mind more takes on FLCL, I'll admit that even I groaned at the prospect of more unnecessary sequels. Still, here's to hoping for the best with them. (And that they use some of the pillows' songs from their time at Avex.)

Housing Complex C, on the other hand, is welcomed, though I'm not gonna put a super-huge amount of stock in it. We could very well end up having another Fena: Pirate Princess on our hands.

Now that I think about it, Al said he wanted more horror anime on the block a long time ago, though that probably had more to do with his love for Hellsing Ultimate. So now we have this new spoopy show likely rolling into the long-awaited Uzumaki adaptation. And then we've got the currently-airing Made in Abyss, which is arguably a survival horror show.

3 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

I look forward to 'FLCL DethMetal'. 

Progressive disappointed me. At no point was there mention of 6 part 32-minute suites or 10 minute keyboard solos.

Doubt DethMetal would have either blast beats or (depending how one would absorb the Deth part of the title) Dave Mustaine voicing a character.

• Haha 2

Who asked for this?

Like, the two sequels we already got weren't horrible, but I honestly don't think I've seen a single person who's ride or die, hardcore into them the way people still are towards the original even after 20 years. It felt like they were milking that cow pretty dry already, and adding on another two whole extra sequel series just feels completely unnecessary.

Housing Complex sounds like it has some promise, though. Here's hoping they can actually pull it off and roll out more original ideas.

Edited by EmpressAngel
  • Like 1

This won’t be out till next year.

But at the rate we’re going, Netflix’s answer to it is going to be Cannon God Exaxxion, Violence Jack, or friggin Five Star Stories.

Actually now that the rights are settled and Harmony Gold is playing nice, I could see Netflix commissioning a full on Macross remake.  Yeah, FLCL 4 - Fooly Cooly in Da Hood, will wipe the floor with all comers.

Edited by Jman

Kinda liked Progressive thanks to giving me Jinyu, so I'll take it and just hold out hope they've learned from their first attempt with Progressive and Alternative.

Fena was particularly frustrating since the visuals were so good and I enjoyed most of the first half before it became clear it wasn't going to be the "swash-buckling" high-seas adventure show that the title and beginning teased. And then Abel's bullshit taking over.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 1:48 PM, Jman said:

Even he's gone on record knowing that such a thing would be universally condemned.  

So let me guess, Netflix is getting Chainsaw Man to counter this?  I mean, it's just...no one cares about FLCL!  They did, at that one point, but it was a complete story.  No one was clamoring for a sequel, much less four.  It's like Eureka 7, where every entry after the original gets worse and worse until people forget why they liked the original in the first place.

Not sure exactly how to write it out in words anymore, but to me the E7 guys STILL haven't realized that the thing I feel like people loved about it was that it simultaneously carried that heavy storyline but it also had enough innocent "magic" and hero's journey elements to pull through the darker themes with sunshine and rainbows, which was a balance that fit perfectly with the show's themes and perseverance. All those stories of the staff almost going with a darker more "realistic" ending for the original and then all of the following E7 projects being darker alt-universes or trying to follow an off-shoot of some darker version of the ending tells me that those stories could have some truth and that they still haven't realized the success of the tone they captured with the original show that connected so many fans to the franchise and always gets mentioned as that "missing thing" when discussing the other installments.

Hell, I'm not even a romance show fan in the least, and it still worked for me with Renton/Eureka and Dominic/Anemone since it had the perfect mix of so many different elements to the story.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DangerMouse said:

Not sure exactly how to write it out in words anymore, but to me the E7 guys STILL haven't realized that the thing I feel like people loved about it was that it simultaneously carried that heavy storyline but it also had enough innocent "magic" and hero's journey elements to pull through the darker themes with sunshine and rainbows, which was a balance that fit perfectly with the show's themes and perseverance. All those stories of the staff almost going with a darker more "realistic" ending for the original and then all of the following E7 projects being darker alt-universes or trying to follow an off-shoot of some darker version of the ending tells me that those stories could have some truth and that they still haven't realized the success of the tone they captured with the original show that connected so many fans to the franchise and always gets mentioned as that "missing thing" when discussing the other installments.

Hell, I'm not even a romance show fan in the least, and it still worked for me with Renton/Eureka and Dominic/Anemone since it had the perfect mix of so many different elements to the story.

The thing is, Tomoki Kyoda actually wanted a downer ending, or at least a bittersweet one with emphasis on the bitter, for the original series, but the execs forced him to go with a happy ending instead. As far as I can tell, every piece of E7 media to follow - Pocket Full of Rainbows, AO, and the Hi-Evolution movies - is him trying to achieve that original vision, and only tweaking everything else when met with the backlash. I even have a theory about the mysterious head writer credited for AO that ties into this belief.

Basically, Dai Sato was originally brought on to be AO's head writer, much like he was with the original E7 way back. Something that was done to help counterbalance the negative mood Kyoda's own script brought to the original movie. But then Sato learned that Kyoda was not only bent on playing another reverse Uno card on E7's super-happy ending with the direction AO would go, but had enough creative control over this sequel that the execs wouldn't force their hand like they did back in 2005-06. So he dropped out of the project after laying the groundwork and writing the first three episodes, distanced himself from the project by name by taking on the pseudonym "Kakuto Takeyoshi" (or "Buratobito", according to this decade-old tweet here) - a name that hasn't been used for any other anime but AO - and never confirming it was him, and left Kyoda on his own to find another head writer. Kyoda then found Shou Aikawa (who I assume was cool with Kyoda's ideas for AO's final destination), he came on as AO's new head writer under the "story editor" title, and the rest is history.

(As for why Sato came back by name to script Hi-Evolution? He probably mellowed out enough over time to humor Kyoda's desires.)

Granted, it probably most likely isn't true, but it's a neat thought to entertain that I wanted to get out there before the truth, wherever it may be, proved otherwise.

• Like 2

Yeah, pretty much exactly what I was thinking with Kyoda etc., we're thinking the same things and funny enough I've had a similar thoughts about Sato and AO given that craziness with a somehow unknown writer and how those first 3 eps feel different than the rest lol. And that Kyoda seemingly still has been unable to reconcile that, while plenty of other stories benefit from more "real", here thanks to all the darker story elements and build up the sunshine and rainbows ending full of payoff to me and from what I've always observed with the fans, in this particular series, ended up a key thing that truly solidified the original show and its uplifting "message" as such an enduring, special work.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

The idea of two more FLCL sequels was the very last thing on my mind at any point. Progressive and Alternative had good moments and overall weren’t horrible, however they never left me clamoring for more. I’d love it if these two new sequels really blew us away this time, we’ll see.

Housing Complex C has more of my interest and excitement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Hey remember those new shows you didn't like? Well here's more of that!

What mental disorder does Demarco have? 

Pokemon Fever. Gotta Catch them All. Only with musical genres.

When do we get the long awaited S2 of Fena?

2023. As long as Disney doesn't decide to do a 'Pirates of the Caribbean' anime series first. 

20 hours ago, Daos said:

Hey remember those new shows you didn't like? Well here's more of that!

What mental disorder does Demarco have? 

When do we get the long awaited S2 of Fena?

DeMarco thinks what worked in the past works now when he was the only game in town and most of the alternatives cost a shitload or were illegal.  He clearly likes FLCL.  A LOT.  He thinks it will light up the casual audiences because he says it will.

But when Netflix answers that with a Tekken anime, Fooly Cooly In Da Hood loses out.

52 minutes ago, Jman said:

DeMarco thinks what worked in the past works now when he was the only game in town and most of the alternatives cost a shitload or were illegal.  He clearly likes FLCL.  A LOT.  He thinks it will light up the casual audiences because he says it will.

But when Netflix answers that with a Tekken anime, Fooly Cooly In Da Hood loses out.

I'm honestly surprised Toonami still exists and hasn't been cancelled yet. There are so many better options for watching anime out there, instead of waiting til like midnight or whenever on a Saturday night.

Also for me, I haven't had cable or any kind of tv service in over two years now. Even when I lived with my parents, for the last year or two before I moved out I chose to not have any tv service set up in my room since it was a major waste, since I only watched stuff online.

When it comes to Demarco I was never a fan of him (have a neutral opinion of him, for the most part), but the more I see his name pop up online, on things like anime news sites or anime news related videos, the more I wish the guy would just disappear. This dude definitely has an ego to him, I guess because he's a VP or whatever of some big tv network. I've seen him be so disrespectful to so many people that voiced legitimate criticism (people that weren't trying to be trolls or flaming him). In regards to taste in anime, I would definitely consider Demarco to be a boomer in regards to that, especially with how much he obsesses over shows like Cowboy Bebop and FLCL

Edited by DBAss
  • D'oh 1

5 hours ago, DBAss said:

I'm honestly surprised Toonami still exists and hasn't been cancelled yet. There are so many better options for watching anime out there, instead of waiting til like midnight or whenever on a Saturday night.

Also for me, I haven't had cable or any kind of tv service in over two years now. Even when I lived with my parents, for the last year or two before I moved out I chose to not have any tv service set up in my room since it was a major waste, since I only watched stuff online.

When it comes to Demarco I was never a fan of him (have a neutral opinion of him, for the most part), but the more I see his name pop up online, on things like anime news sites or anime news related videos, the more I wish the guy would just disappear. This dude definitely has an ego to him, I guess because he's a VP or whatever of some big tv network. I've seen him be so disrespectful to so many people that voiced legitimate criticism (people that weren't trying to be trolls or flaming him). In regards to taste in anime, I would definitely consider Demarco to be a boomer in regards to that, especially with how much he obsesses over shows like Cowboy Bebop and FLCL

I've only seen his tweets, he comes off as someone with serious issues who shouldn't be in charge of anything. 

Oh and his stupid Gundam fetish that no one in the US watches or cares about.

Doubling down on FLCL after the sequels flopped just makes him come off as someone with a mental illness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

I've only seen his tweets, he comes off as someone with serious issues who shouldn't be in charge of anything. 

Oh and his stupid Gundam fetish that no one in the US watches or cares about.

Doubling down on FLCL after the sequels flopped just makes him come off as someone with a mental illness.

The only tweets of his that I've seen were ones featured on some anime news sites that despised the guy, and the attitude he was bringing into the anime industry. This being after he got that promotion or whatever you wanna call it that happened recently, where he's supposed to be more involved in anime coming over to the West (or something. I honestly don't remember). The people on those sites clearly don't seem to like him very much.

I remember years ago he had a page on that one Q&A site where people could publicly ask him whatever they wanted, and like I said, that dude came across as someone that has a big ego. Also with the way he would go off on streaming platforms such as Netflix and Hulu back then, talking like that cable network of his has nothing to worry about, not considering them to be serious competition.

I still remember a while ago when I compared Toonami to Soul Train, the former face of a particular niche medium (anime, soul, funk and R&B music) that failed to adapt to new mediums and the desire of the audience (Netflix, Hulu, and Crunchyroll, while hip hop music found outlets that made Soul Train obsolete and led to its cancellation in 2008).  FLCL was big when Adult Swim/Toonami was on top, so it will be big now is the line of thinking.

Instead we got Netflix funding a Tekken anime and Jujutsu Kaisen's movie being #2 in the US behind The Batman.

Nobody cares about Tekken’s lore but a ton of people remember Tekken from movie theater arcades, rest stops and the PS1.  That’s the audience.

Netflix also made Baki a national hit so I presume they know that martial arts/combat sports anime are big business.