UnevenEdge

Need opinions please.

That_One_Guy

I'm very happy today. I have the opportunity to go back to school for next to nothing and honestly I'm excited to get on track to make a better life for myself. The program I'm in has several degrees available and I've narrowed it down to two. They are bachelor's degrees so it's nothing advanced. I'm either going to study cybersecurity or IT. I'm not sure which degree will have more carryover. It's hard to decide which one will be more beneficial. I know certs are more important. I plan on getting those when I have extra money. What do y'all think?Btw if you're gonna troll or joke I'm going to ignore it.

2 minutes ago, Seight said:

I imagine IT would have more practical applications, but cybersecurity would pay more. So whichever of those is more important to you.

Definitely money.I'm sick and tired of being poor. Thank you for responding man. It'll really help with the decision.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

i think IT would probably have you dealing with more ID10T people

And you would be wrong.  Especially if he got into government cybersecurity.

In IT you can make people, eventually, usually, sort of heed your advice (maybe not the company board, but the drones at least).  In cybersecurity (and federal IT), they'll listen and then ignore it all because it costs too much, or is too much of a hassle because they're too important.  And then call you when what they went with against your advice blows up in their face to fix it patch it up for five to ten times what following your advice would have cost them in time and cash.  Add on dealing with clearances and political toadies if it's a government rig.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/stderr/2019/12/28/its-still-about-the-applications/#more-13624   "The next decade of federal IT is going to be exciting. Working in federal IT is going to be like being a coal-stoker on the Titanic, except that if you survive one ship-wreck, the ship that rescued you is going to hit an iceberg or catch fire or get bombed, too."

He's got stories. :D  Click on the cyberwars folder at the footer and have fun perusing.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

And you would be wrong.  Especially if he got into government cybersecurity.

In IT you can make people, eventually, usually, sort of heed your advice (maybe not the company board, but the drones at least).  In cybersecurity (and federal IT), they'll listen and then ignore it all because it costs too much, or is too much of a hassle because they're too important.  And then call you when what they went with against your advice blows up in their face to fix it patch it up for five to ten times what following your advice would have cost them in time and cash.  Add on dealing with clearances and political toadies if it's a government rig.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/stderr/2019/12/28/its-still-about-the-applications/#more-13624   "The next decade of federal IT is going to be exciting. Working in federal IT is going to be like being a coal-stoker on the Titanic, except that if you survive one ship-wreck, the ship that rescued you is going to hit an iceberg or catch fire or get bombed, too."

He's got stories. :D  Click on the cyberwars folder at the footer and have fun perusing.

Lmao thanks for the links

I wish I could give you an informed opinion, but I’m technologically handicapped, so I unfortunately know nothing about this field. In fact, I’d probably be the one calling and bugging you with stupid questions - I do it to our IT guys all the time 😅

Cybersecurity is useless these days unless you know how to program. I know this from experience in the hardware and fieldcraft sectors.

General IT is pretty much always in demand, but you have to have the certifications to get ahead. Also, be prepared to not get paid shit unless you have those certifications. Again, I know this from experience.