UnevenEdge

Toonami Picks Up Food Wars

21 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

Listen. If we can tolerate this series on the block for however long its going to last, then perhaps the network will be willing to air another Sentai show which has much more of an appeal than a show about food. I am talking, of course, about Made in Abyss.

While I enjoyed Food Wars, there are better anime food series than this.

If they were going to the Sentai well we could have had something spectacular like Made in Abyss or Land of the Lustrous or Princess Principal. I've heard good stuff about Log Horizon but I'm not sure there's an audience for it left after the shitshow that is SAO.

• Like 1

Well, I think we can all safely say that no one predicted Toonami would get this.

So, I guess this is one of the NON-ACTION shows Demarco was talking about?  After Pop Team Epic.  Was Food Wars heavily requested?

I don't know much about Food Wars, but given what little I do know, and I think I skimmed a chapter or two, it should be... amusing, to say the least.

Wait, it's going to last over a year?!  I dunno, man.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Top Gun said:

If they were going to the Sentai well we could have had something spectacular like Made in Abyss or Land of the Lustrous or Princess Principal. I've heard good stuff about Log Horizon but I'm not sure there's an audience for it left after the shitshow that is SAO.

Does Log Horizon have an ending, since the author got in trouble for tax evasion?  Either way, just because you don't like SAO, doesn't mean there's not an audience left for that genre of series.  It's popular and has done well for Toonami.  So if anything SAO having been on the block so much could create more interest for Log Horizon.  Don't know much about those other shows and haven't heard of at least one of them.  I hope the theory Poke had about this being a package deal is true.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:51 PM, Daos said:

What the... how do you get naked chicks in a cooking shonen?

The food is apparently that good lol

Not a show I was expecting them to pick up, especially with the lack of action. Especially with how that other food show Toriko seemingly started with a "big" push and then fizzled out very quickly.

Edited by DangerMouse

10 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Well, I think we can all safely say that no one predicted Toonami would get this.

So, I guess this is one of the NON-ACTION shows Demarco was talking about?  After Pop Team Epic.  Was Food Wars heavily requested?

I don't know much about Food Wars, but given what little I do know, and I think I skimmed a chapter or two, it should be... amusing, to say the least.

Wait, it's going to last over a year?!  I dunno, man.

We did wonder about it, but it was more a joke. 

8 minutes ago, elfie said:

Oh trust me. You missed a buncha shit since Thursday. https://unevenedge.com/topic/42916-my-hero-academia-is-pushed-to-330/

I knew about MHA, 

admittedly my reasons for disliking Food Wars are pretty crazy and I sort of intended to rewatch it someday with a more broad perspective, and less irrational expectations of a gay storyline

but I still dunno that I'll enjoy it since the last time I tried to watch it was at a time where I was more or less fed up with anime in general due to a bunch of shows all making the same weird mistakes all at once during that period

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 3:31 PM, Daos said:

I'm sure it's good and all... but it's from 2015..... and not action oriented... that = ratings death

Where's our next heavy hitter?

If they wanted to get a action show. They should have gone with nichijou now that it's a getting a dubs it would have been great. Maybe still to expensive to get idk 

22 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

because who sees this and thinks "Yeah we're totally getting season 4 on toonami!"

i wouldn't been saying this so much if i didn't think this had anything to do with hulu

We likely still are.

That has nothing to do with MHA moving to 3:30, and your theories could be totally wrong, so what's the point in even saying it in the first place!!?? NEVER make assumptions!

8 minutes ago, elfie said:

We likely still are.

That has nothing to do with MHA moving to 3:30, and your theories could be totally wrong, so what's the point in even saying it in the first place!!?? NEVER make assumptions!

Because MHA never did so poorly that it deserved to be punished so severely....

ugh this is why i hate nielsen boxes the ratings system makes no sense and even when people think they understand it...crap like this comes out

• Like 2

Look. DeMarco's answer, that "not enough of us watched it at 10:30 PM", is bullshit, and I am hereby personally gonna act like it never happened. His tweet that it "wasn't their call" sounds more reasonable, but I am still not taking that to heart. I'm gonna wait until a more definite reason surfaces.

Edited by elfie

I was thinking they got this because they thought we needed something more lighthearted after The Promised Neverland, and to try another non-action show like they mentioned way back when, and tried with Pop Team Epic.  But to put it in such a prominent or at least decent time slot, and get Gundam on top of it, and then put that last?  I also had no idea this show was over a year long.  That makes it even more questionable.  It all seems very baffling at a time when they should be trying to get the best shows they can to keep the block going strong.  Instead they indulge their Gundam fetish, experiment with Food Wars, and then kick My Hero Academia to the curb?  As AVGN would say, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

• Thanks 1

There has been a sizable contingent of people who wanted Food Wars to make the block. They might not actually watch it, but you can't knock the show that way.

And you know what? I don't care if it's gonna tank the ratings. If this is the start if Toonami adding cheaper shows from non-major franchises, I'm all for it. This ratings dysfunction and shonen overload (which this series admittedly doesn't fix) might be what gets Jason to start picking shows that are actually good over what's popular. That's how the block got the odd unexpected hit like Michiko & Hatchin, which I'm confident the crew can do again.

17 hours ago, ben0119 said:

If you found Food Wars tasteless it must really be sick and depraved lmao.

eh, it's more just.....gratuitous and fanservicey for no real reason, I can handle fanservice but Food wars fanservice gets....annoying, and boring...very quickly

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, mochi said:

eh, it's more just.....gratuitous and fanservicey for no real reason, I can handle fanservice but Food wars fanservice gets....annoying, and boring...very quickly

It gets to the point where

Spoiler

The stripping is a result of some kind of pseudo supernatural power some of the characters have. It's even powerful enough to cause buildings to 'strip'

58 minutes ago, mochi said:

Oh there's a reason, and you probably already know what it is, and you're probably trying to forget it right now.

9 minutes ago, elfie said:

Oh there's a reason, and you probably already know what it is, and you're probably trying to forget it right now.

Is it because the hot girls made mochi question his gay street cred? =P

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Is it because the hot girls made mochi question his gay street cred? =P

It's because the mangaka knows sexyiness/fanservice sells and unfortunately that's the most common thing to include in order to sell stuff in Japan.

Which makes me all the more annoyed because Toonami didn't include ANY of the fanservice in its promo.  This way it just looks like any old common shonen anime that has nothing new.

Edited by elfie

5 hours ago, elfie said:

IWhich makes me all the more annoyed because Toonami didn't include ANY of the fanservice in its promo.  This way it just looks like any old common shonen anime that has nothing new.

The TV-MAS at the start of the promo is plenty indication that there will be fanservice, for anyone with common sense.

7 hours ago, elfie said:

It's because the mangaka knows sexyiness/fanservice sells and unfortunately that's the most common thing to include in order to sell stuff in Japan.

Which makes me all the more annoyed because Toonami didn't include ANY of the fanservice in its promo.  This way it just looks like any old common shonen anime that has nothing new.

Did you really expect DeMarco to make a commercial focused on bewbs?

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was like Akame, a package deal to get something they really wanted like Parasyte.

And to that end, remember Akame got all the ratings and Parasyte...well. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

The TV-MAS at the start of the promo is plenty indication that there will be fanservice, for anyone with common sense.

But really who pays attention to that?

My reaction when reading your comment was "... wait REALLY??" I didn't even see it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

It's in the top left corner for the first few seconds. Unless you're a content ratings autist like myself, or just very eagle-eyed when it comes to Toonami commercials, it's easy to miss.

Or unless I just casually watch a video and then never replay it, like most people online.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:27 AM, Jman said:

Did you really expect DeMarco to make a commercial focused on bewbs?

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was like Akame, a package deal to get something they really wanted like Parasyte.

And to that end, remember Akame got all the ratings and Parasyte...well.

You mean how Parasyte was a legit good show and Akame was one of the biggest piles of festering edgelord shit Japan has ever produced?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

You mean how Parasyte was a legit good show and Akame was one of the biggest piles of festering edgelord shit Japan has ever produced?

Apparently you haven't seen

d0ce11fd1d730cacba0f28d04cdf9523.jpg

Also I'd like to point out that Tatsumi could have won the entire war by seducing Esdeath and nailing her when they were together. He never seems to think "Hey the enemy general is madly in love with me.. how can I possibly use this to my advantage!"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

It's going to be butchered . Even with an MAS rating they still edited the SAO rape scene. 

Only because it went two minutes longer than it needed to. They cut a lot out, yet it felt like nothing was cut at all.

Besides, a more ecchi version of Yakitate Japan's famous reactions - and ones without nipples at that! - should be able to fly at 1AM.

9 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Oh, you mean "hay guiz look at her she's so hot and thirsty for our milquetoast protagonist isn't this show awesome?!"

I still think the episode where Tatsumi and Esdeath were stuck on a deserted island was the best one, even knowing your response will be something along the lines of "it's shit and you're shit for even thinking that", only more polite and less libelous. 😑

Edited by PokeNirvash