UnevenEdge

Toonami Picks Up Food Wars

15 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Oh, you mean "hay guiz look at her she's so hot and thirsty for our milquetoast protagonist isn't this show awesome?!"

I really hate to be that guy, but it worked, didn’t it?

5 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Only because it went two minutes longer than it needed to

From the side by side comparison I watched they run at the same time. The edit just zooms in and cuts away at times. Like when the girls are being stripped it zooms in on their faces so you can't see their clothes being torn. The guy licking them is panned upward so you cant see him licking their stomachs. A scene where he punches one of the girls in the face is quickly cut away, etc. The edits do nothing for time constraints. 

1 minute ago, HardcoreHunter said:

From the side by side comparison I watched they run at the same time. The edit just zooms in and cuts away at times. Like when the girls are being stripped it zooms in on their faces so you can't see their clothes being torn. The guy licking them is panned upward so you cant see him licking their stomachs. A scene where he punches one of the girls in the face is quickly cut away, etc. The edits do nothing for time constraints. 

Sounds like you were watching the Japanese TV broadcast vs. the Crunchyroll release, and not either one of those releases vs. the Toonami version.

5 minutes ago, Daos said:

Esdeath

I'd like to see this series get a spin-off where tatsumi joins the military and doesn't team up with night raid.  Though I think the mangaka kinda messed up Esdeath's character some. She was supposed to be all about alpha pack leader Darwinism. When Tatsumi was talking about overthrowing the govt you'd think she'd be all about that ambition with the idea of her and him being the new king and queen.  Instead she slapped him and told him to stop thinking like that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Um, no?  I mean how many people in the general anime fandom still actively give a shit about that series?

Hey, it had its moments of brilliance, and it was Toonami on [as]'s highest-rated series ever!

(That could have been DBZ Kai, but Final Chapters fucked it up)

• D'oh 1

19 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

You should see his newest manga work in which basically, every character is Esdeath.

Y’all (rightfully) lay into the show and the author, but my opinion has always been the sheer amount of concentrated ANIME per square inch of said anime is why it did so well.  We’ve got everything, accidental harems, transforming henshin hero armor, women in every shape and size, tsunderes, yanderes, and lots and lots of action.  It was dumb as hell but that’s probably why it did so well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Y’all (rightfully) lay into the show and the author, but my opinion has always been the sheer amount of concentrated ANIME per square inch of said anime is why it did so well.  We’ve got everything, accidental harems, transforming henshin hero armor, women in every shape and size, tsunderes, yanderes, and lots and lots of action.  It was dumb as hell but that’s probably why it did so well.

Yes, we all know that anime fans have fucking awful taste.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Yes, we all know that anime fans have fucking awful taste.

No kidding. I mean, look at all the people who still like Tokyo Ghoul. They even like shows that never existed like that Pop Team Epic thing.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Jman said:

No arguments here.  I mean Black Clover is a hit...

Naruto is still a hit despite 400 episodes of filler.

People think Tokyo Ghoul is a well written and deep anime.

Dimension W existed and some people actually considered it to be good.

DB Super is still somehow huge even though the first 100 episodes were basically trash and the first arc looked like this

8b7399ecf28a6aac8bccdbe31422a0e5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/30/2019 at 12:50 PM, Blatch said:

There has been a sizable contingent of people who wanted Food Wars to make the block. They might not actually watch it, but you can't knock the show that way.

And you know what? I don't care if it's gonna tank the ratings. If this is the start if Toonami adding cheaper shows from non-major franchises, I'm all for it. This ratings dysfunction and shonen overload (which this series admittedly doesn't fix) might be what gets Jason to start picking shows that are actually good over what's popular. That's how the block got the odd unexpected hit like Michiko & Hatchin, which I'm confident the crew can do again.

Oh yeah, we've had plenty of cases of fans asking for shows to air and then that not turning into anything ratings-wise.  I guess they just want it to air on Toonami for the sake of it, for their show to be showcased, and be able to say it was a Toonami show?  It's so stupid.

It's a shonen, but it's different enough from everything else, so there's that, I guess.

On 6/30/2019 at 11:10 PM, elfie said:

It's because the mangaka knows sexyiness/fanservice sells and unfortunately that's the most common thing to include in order to sell stuff in Japan.

Which makes me all the more annoyed because Toonami didn't include ANY of the fanservice in its promo.  This way it just looks like any old common shonen anime that has nothing new.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:27 AM, Jman said:

Did you really expect DeMarco to make a commercial focused on bewbs?

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was like Akame, a package deal to get something they really wanted like Parasyte.

And to that end, remember Akame got all the ratings and Parasyte...well.

There was a shot of some guys' clothes exploding, but no girls.  Two jacked guys and a fat guy.  Which I guess... is supposed to be funny?  But yeah, the promo conspicuously did not show any of the fan service shots of the girls.  Looks like Demarco went against his own preference with avoiding ecchi shows, though.  You wanted ecchi, @Daos!  Hope you're happy!

But Parasyte was actually good.

Akame ga Kill was not only cliche edgelord nonsense, with poorly built up characters that you don't even care when most of them die (all the deaths was supposed to be another selling point,) but completely forgettable. 

Tokyo Ghoul was full of edgelord nonsense too, but wasn't as bland and generic or cliche, but definitely still badly written with poorly built up characters, but at least memorable.  The manga, the fans tell us, is a masterpiece though, lul.  But after some stuff I've read on the wikia about MANGA EXCLUSIVE EVENTS....

Spoiler

The whole real owl and fake owl thing sounds retarded.

I dunno about that.

On 7/4/2019 at 5:06 PM, PokeNirvash said:

[sigh] Y'all know that these "it sucks and that's a fact" statements are the whole reason I've quit trusting any of your opinions, right?

Some of the only things you aren't apathetic about are girls wearing masks, TV content ratings, and your fanfiction.  Are we supposed to trust your opinion?

On 7/4/2019 at 9:22 PM, Jman said:

No arguments here.  I mean Black Clover is a hit...

Hey now, all people did was talk about how Black Clover was the WORST SHOW EVER, and I watched it, and it didn't seem so bad.  I even came to like it over time.  I like how honest and earnest it is.  Then there's some things that are so over-the-top, it has to be venturing into semi-parody territory.  Asta wants to marry a nun, shouts all the time, then joins a squad of miscreants that make even more noise than him.  Noelle is such an over-the-top tsundere that she has arguments with herself in her head.  The nobles are ridiculously over-the-top assholes and the Silvas remind me of the Kuchikis.  One of them even has Byakuya's hairstyle.  Then you have Yami who just makes fun of everybody in the whole show.  One episode was basically just him making fun of all the other captains.  This most recent new character beat up a Magic Knight called Xerxe and took his place, even though he looks and acts nothing like him, and the Wizard King went along with it, and he's basically been taking the piss out of all the happy-go-lucky cast.  The fact he's played by Johnny Yong Bosch using his troll voice makes it even better!

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It's so absurd that a show that got under 200K in the ratings last week can be called a "hit", but here we are...

I believe he was referring to Black Clover in general, not on Toonami.

But have the ratings for the block actually gotten that bad?!  I haven't kept up with them in forever, but holy shit!

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, elfie said:

WARNING: DO NOT GO INTO THIS SHOW WITHOUT AN EMPTY STOMACH! GET A SNACK BEFOREHAND!

I was thinking this already before you even said it.  This show is going to make me hungry.  I'll have to have snacks next to me before it starts.

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Some of the only things you aren't apathetic about are girls wearing masks, TV content ratings, and your fanfiction.  Are we supposed to trust your opinion?

Of course not! If I don't trust all of your opinions, it's only reasonable for me to expect you not to trust mine in return.

It's a little something we like to call the Golden Rule, or at least a variation of it.

10 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Pop Team Epic was a goddamn delight and I will die on that hill.

I liked it, but wasn't keen on it either. The show's format did it dirty, as I was not a fan of the repeating episode structure or how the bulk of each one were just "lame anime parodies", as the show itself put it. But it was really good at its most avant-garde. 🥴

On 7/4/2019 at 10:49 PM, Daos said:

DB Super is still somehow huge even though the first 100 episodes were basically trash and the first arc looked like this

8b7399ecf28a6aac8bccdbe31422a0e5.jpg

Y'know the saddest part is that I'm so used to Toei Background Faces from the past decade's worth of One Piece episodes that they don't even register with me anymore.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Of course not! If I don't trust all of your opinions, it's only reasonable for me to expect you not to trust mine in return.

It's a little something we like to call the Golden Rule, or at least a variation of it.

Well I'm glad we're all one big happy hate family! :D