UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia is pushed to 3:30

I really wish i was making this up.

Toonami, you are kidding me. Why?? A whole new season is even coming out in Japan this fall!! I mean I had a feeling its time at 10:30 wouldn't last, but the END OF THE BLOCK!?!?  How??  I really hope you realize just how popular it is!

I dunno.  The fourth season is a ways away. It's all the way in the Fall, and its only in Japan as far as we know, so maybe Funimation will make a dub announcement around then. It is way too early to make a call like that.

That said.

.... excuse me while I go destroy everything and everyone in my path.

• D'oh 2

2 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Easily the hardest [as] ever shafted one of their anime since the dark ages of Geass and Moribito premieres in the 5AM hour.

I'll be surprised if FUNimation doesn't read Demarco the riot act over this.

like i said the rumor is that funimation and toonami were already butting-heads over the future and this could be toonami's way of putting their foot down on the matter

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

like i said the rumor is that funimation and toonami were already butting-heads over the future and this could be toonami's way of putting their foot down on the matter

Funimation has 500+ titles in this library!! Toonami will be cutting off a golden business contact if this is true.

Whew.  Wow. That building didn't stand a chance. Now to stay undercover underground.

So.   The best shonen on the block right now will get 150k in ratings, and I can no longer share the experience watching this show with you guys.

In light of this, I will link to places you can legally watch MHA yourself at any time, instead!  Cable sucks.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/my-hero-academia/

https://vrv.co/series/G6NQ5DWZ6/My-Hero-Academia

https://www.hulu.com/series/my-hero-academia-36e318dc-3daf-47fb-8219-9e3cb5cd28f2

• D'oh 2

I'm not even being pessimistic. Ratings are already in the tank with a schedule that makes sense. This makes no sense.

Instead of Gate, Overlord, Re Zero, Slime, Shield Hero, Konosuba, Tanya, Goblin Slayer, OPM2, Mob2 we get....

More Lupin, More Jojo, more Gundam... and Foodwars.

I've never seen a block decide to commit suicide before.

• Thanks 2
  • D'oh 1

Just now, elfie said:

Funimation has 500+ titles in this library!! Toonami will be cutting off a golden business contact if this is true.

we'll have to wait and see but i can't exactly see them being on good terms if toonami's just gonna dropkick MHA off the block and refuse to air S4 when it comes out

MHA is one of Funimation's Flagship shows and to not have it on toonami would suck and mean It'd be exclusively on the funimation now service

It isn't even a rerun! Sure, you can watch the dub online in many places, but you're saying the only place on linear television you can see the dub will now bet at 3:30 when no one is awake!?!? It'S NEW EPISODES!!! IT WASN'T A FLOP! IT WAS DOING WELL IN ITS TIMESLOT AT 10:30! THIS ........ HAVE THEY ALL GOTTEN LOBOTONIZED!?!?

20 minutes ago, Daos said:

I'm not even being pessimistic. Ratings are already in the tank with a schedule that makes sense. This makes no sense.

Instead of Gate, Overlord, Re Zero, Slime, Shield Hero, Konosuba, Tanya, Goblin Slayer, OPM2, Mob2 we get....

More Lupin, More Jojo, more Gundam... and Foodwars.

I've never seen a block decide to commit suicide before.

raw

• D'oh 1

2 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

another theory you could look at if you don't wanna believe it's being rumored is that since there's only five episodes left in the season it's not as much of a priority to have upfront

You can't bury a show in the last 5 episodes, that's a good way to lose any fan loyalty you might have. You have to have at least a little consistency.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

another theory you could look at if you don't wanna believe it's being rumored is that since there's only five episodes left in the season it's not as much of a priority to have upfront

... it seems like we're a BIT of a ways to the end of Season 3! I admit my memory isn't the best for this stuff. But this makes me so fuckin pissed.

Just now, Daos said:

You can't bury a show in the last 5 episodes, that's a good way to lose any fan loyalty you might have. You have to have at least a little consistency.

It circles back to audience connection. Toonami lost its audience connection, the ratings show it and the Social Media metrics show it as well.

I give it a month before we start to see art correspondence school commercials....

1 minute ago, Daos said:

well where would it go with Food Wars Being Picked up? they'd want to put the newer pick up's as a higher priority

1 minute ago, Ginguy said:

It circles back to audience connection. Toonami lost its audience connection, the ratings show it and the Social Media metrics show it as well.

I give it a month before we start to see art correspondence school commercials....

the old grandpa's with nielsen boxes got bored

• Haha 2

Just now, CountFrylock said:

well where would it go with Food Wars Being Picked up? they'd want to put the newer pick up's as a higher priority

Gundam at 3?

Do they really think Gundam is going to do worse than Food Wars?

• Like 1

seriously though we can blame the nielsen families for this the small few channel surfing...it's why our favorite shows always had such crap ratings   Grandma And Grandpa didn't like all the violence on jojo and tuned out to watch reruns of little house on the prairie

Edited by CountFrylock

4 minutes ago, elfie said:

I admit, Food Wars does provide the opportunity to snack during the block!

i should also say another rumor is that this is out of toonami's hands and this is happening because Hulu gets first dibs on new seasons and they called Season 4 before toonami did

although someone said that isn't so much a rumor as it is the truth that Hulu gets all dibs on new funimation content

Edited by CountFrylock

This and Origins makes me realize something horrifying: The crew sees the back of the block as a hot place to watch premieres that is no different than the front of it! I mean no one's stopping us from staying up til 4, but you know from my past posts on HxH that I been having more and more difficulties doing that!  The ratings for it are consistently the lowest the block gets each week at that time of the day!

Just now, PokeNirvash said:

"It's your fault for not watching it!"

Holy shit Demarco do you even realize how much of an asshole you sound like right now? I can smell it from here.

seriously....and does he not realize that not all of us are counted in the way ratings are typically managed?

I've been watching MHA on toonami and I'm pretty sure my ratings didn't count for jack squat

"It's your fault for not watching it!"

Holy shit Demarco do you even realize how much of an asshole you sound like right now? I can smell it from here.

10:30 is a time where everoyne is awake. KIDS are awake. Ratings are down at that time not just for them but from EVERY NETWORK! It follows Adult Swim proper every week. Massive competitive from sporting events, and Live PD also compound it. The CEO of Turner announced a year ago that they "will not longer look at ratings as the top reasons for programming".  Has he forgotten all this!?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ginguy said:

People weren't watching it where it was, so we put it where we know no one is going to watch it.

Brilliant thinking.

Engage with the audience in a positive manner.

I thought Toonami was different.  I thought it was a boutique studio that didn't care about the Big Man.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, elfie said:

10:30 is a time where everoyne is awake. KIDS are awake. Ratings are down at that time not just for them but from EVERY NETWORK! It follows Adult Swim proper every week. Massive competitive from sporting events, and Live PD also compound it. The CEO of Turner announced a year ago that they "will not longer look at ratings as the top reasons for programming".  Has he forgotten all this!?

I Expected ratings to go down when we all say it with me rely on channel surfing grandpa's who were randomly selected by big corporate entities to determine ratings

I'll come clean: as someone who just DVRs everything and watches it the next day (or several) anyways, MHA moving down to 3:30 doesn't really affect me as personally as it does the rest of you. But the reactions I'm getting, which rival my insensitively hyperbolic claims that Geass and Moribito being deathslotted in 2008 was "worse than 9/11", are just laughable. Or they would be, if the "CANCEL TOONAMI" crowd wasn't instead making it anger-inducing.

Yes, this change sucks. But it's something we have to live with. I'm gonna live with it, and so should you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'll come clean: as someone who just DVRs everything and watches it the next day (or several) anyways, MHA moving down to 3:30 doesn't really affect me as personally as it does the rest of you. But the reactions I'm getting, which rival my insensitively hyperbolic claims that Geass and Moribito being deathslotted in 2008 was "worse than 9/11", are just laughable. Or they would be, if the "CANCEL TOONAMI" crowd wasn't instead making it anger-inducing.

Yes, this change sucks. But it's something we have to live with. I'm gonna live with it, and so should you.

it's just this odd feeling that there's more here to it and that MHA's being removed sooner than later from the block

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sure I can use DVR if i wanted to.

... but one of the things I like about how it was then was because there was a preplanned, guaranteed time of the week I knew you would all be watching at the same time, and so we could discuss it while it was airing.

• Like 1

Just now, CountFrylock said:

it's just this odd feeling that there's more here to it and that MHA's being removed sooner than later from the block

I agree, there does seem to be more to this than just "you weren't watching it when it started the block so we're forcing it to the end, how 'bout that!?". Something tells me the schedule will get reshuffled and MHA will get moved up to a better slot before the day it's set to happen. Just like when JoJo got demoted to 3AM only for that decision to be revoked less than a week after it was announced.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, elfie said:

I thought Toonami was different.  I thought it was a boutique studio that didn't care about the Big Man.

That programming attempt only works when you have a connection with the audience. Toonami no longer has that unique connection to the audience, and DeMarco's sanctimonious outburst on Twitter demonstrates why.

They need to find a way to engage with the audience in a positive manner to build that relationship.

Just now, elfie said:

Sure I can use DVR if i wanted to.

... but one of the things I like about how it was then was because there was a preplanned, guaranteed time of the week I knew you would all be watching at the same time, and so we could discuss it while it was airing.

This is the kind of relationship that they need to re-build.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I agree, there does seem to be more to this than just "you weren't watching it when it started the block so we're forcing it to the end, how 'bout that!?". Something tells me the schedule will get reshuffled and MHA will get moved up to a better slot before the day it's set to happen. Just like when JoJo got demoted to 3AM only for that decision to be revoked less than a week after it was announced.

i can see it being moved up again.

.... during the last ep of Season 3.

• Like 1