UnevenEdge

Toonami Picks Up Food Wars

While I'm happy to see this show on the block, I'm sure a lot of people will be insulted by the schedule when this officially airs.

11:00PM – Dragon Ball Super
11:30PM – Attack on Titan
12:00AM – Sword Art Online: Alicization
12:30AM – Lupin the 3rd Part V
1:00AM – Food Wars
1:30AM – Black Clover
2:00AM – Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 
2:30AM – Naruto: Shippuden
3:00AM – Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin
3:30AM – My Hero Academia

Edited by 3ngag3
  • Haha 1

How do you go from first on the lineup to last? And when there's only like 5 more episodes? 

Lupin airs 4th? Is that a joke?

Alright guys this is it, once Super finishes its run... Toonami is getting canceled. That lineup is awful.

6 minutes ago, Daos said:

More people watching = ratings.

Unless everyone who watches mysteriously isn't a nielson family.

most people watching aren't a nielsen family....i said you had to be selected at randomly and there aren't that many nielsen families overall compared to how many  people actually view a show

it's a very small group of people that decides what shows live and what shows die

Edited by CountFrylock

A few thoughts.

- so THAT'S what is replacing Hunter x Hunter! Comes the week after the rerun of a requested episode.

- I seen all the episodes released  ..uuuh... not at all my favorite shonen. It isn't even close to my top favorites.  So I'm not exactly looking forward to seeing the episodes AGAIN, only in English this time.  It sucks that it's in the middle of the block too so it's not like I can skip it. Maybe I'll tune in to see who is voicing who. If they wanted to aim for the same problems, I would've at least preferred Fairy Tail. At least that has 300+ episodes dubbed.

- As predicted by a lot of members here, the block is being pushed back a half hour back to 11.

5 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

most people watching aren't a nielsen family....i said you had to be selected at randomly and there aren't that many nielsen families overall compared to how many  people actually view a show

it's a very small group of people that decides what shows live and what shows die

Do you not understand how sample sizes work or something? 

Nielsen ratings are how we know 98 million people watched the Super Bowl last year.

5 minutes ago, Daos said:

Do you not understand how sample sizes work or something? 

Nielsen ratings are how we know 98 million people watched the Super Bowl last year.

yeah i do know how sample sizes I'm just saying i have doubts that many of the nielsen families are anime lovers

The Nielsen System have been criticized for being horribly flawed for years and making it to where "Your viewership doesn't matter you don't matter to the networks but some rando who was picked totally by chance in Wisconsin matters"

you don't think it's depressing that if everyone on this website stopped watching toonami there would barely be much of any change at all because we were chosen by the tv gods to determine the ratings? cause i think most people do

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

This schedule shows how much of a lame duck Toonami is as a block, more or less a guideline of what shows to watch on Hulu or Netflix or what have you.

MHA was like...the one comic to get a boost from Avengers Endgame and it can’t bring in an audience because said audience has already watched it elsewhere.

And now we have Food Wars, never seen it, negative interest, but it’s supposed to bring in viewers?

I think it’s time we accept it’s the block.

1 minute ago, elfie said:

What ....

... they are now REQUIRED to release a public explanation about this.

like i said in the other topic another explanation is that Hulu has first dibs on new funimation material and toonami either doesn't get MHA Anymore or just has to patiently wait until Hulu's exclusive rights to the 4th season expires

Just now, CountFrylock said:

like i said in the other topic another explanation is that Hulu has first dibs on new funimation material and toonami either doesn't get MHA Anymore or just has to patiently wait until Hulu's exclusive rights to the 4th season expires

And odds are that’s where everyone will watch it.

17 minutes ago, Jman said:

And now we have Food Wars, never seen it, negative interest, but it’s supposed to bring in viewers?

The negative interest excuse worked for Golden Kamuy and its gay fanservice, but what's so turn-offy about something as knowledgeably fanservicey as Food Wars? Is it the whole cooking thing?

Wait... I get it now. It's the fact that guys are just as fair game for the foodgasms as the ladies. And if there's one thing you hate, it's homoeroticism.

Edited by PokeNirvash

11 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

The negative interest excuse worked for Golden Kamuy and its gay fanservice, but what's so turn-offy about something as knowledgeably fanservicey as Food Wars? Is it the whole cooking thing?

Wait... I get it now. It's the fact that guys are just as fair game for the foodgasms as the ladies. And if there's one thing you hate, it's homoeroticism.

Actually I just never bothered to watch the damn thing.  It was just there and I wasn’t interested.

24 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

If that's true, how come Toonami got the dub?

Listen. If we can tolerate this series on the block for however long its going to last, then perhaps the network will be willing to air another Sentai show which has much more of an appeal than a show about food. I am talking, of course, about Made in Abyss.

• Thanks 1

This is legitimately surprising. I recall they showed interest during a Pre-Flight (where they did not realize it was dubbed yet) but having it on seemed like a pipe dream.

They tend to avoid fanservice shows and haven’t picked up a series from Sentai since Parasyte. I was hoping Made in Abyss would be the show to put Sentai back on the menu but I’m all for Food Wars spicing up the lineup. I can keep going with these food puns all day, I assure you.

I guess they found another shounen that will last over a year. That’s probably the main reason they got it. But it’s a bold move to be sure. They are taking a risk on a 50+ episode show that’s way outside their wheel house. I hope it does well but if it flops then it’s decent fodder for 3am.

I am happy to see they can still surprise me with their show pickups.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

ya know i guess this proves the Hulu Deal really does mean Toonami's gonna be lacking new funimation content in the future i mean if that wasn't the case why they pick up food wars of all shows for the block?

Lol someone just posted something similar.

"after all if you think about it....if toonami could access brand new funimation content do you think they'd air Food wars of all things on the block?"

Edited by Daos

someone on reddit possibly said we could be looking at some lower budget anime's from this point on since Stuff like MHA And Jojo had failed them

Like Sentai anime from 4 years ago? =P

There's nothing that has kept pace with Kai and Super. AOT is retaining 60% and even less in the key demo.

Hmm lower budget.. time for Blood C and Unbreakable Machine Doll!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

That wasn't a series--it's a movie!

Still a Sentai property, Al. Still a Sentai property.

someone on reddit possibly said we could be looking at some lower budget anime's from this point on since Stuff like MHA And Jojo had failed them

I hope so, all these popular picks have made Toonami super predictable over the past couple of years.

23 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

This is the first pickup in I don't know how many years where I've had basically zero interest going into it.  Smells way too much like shitty otaku bait.  Who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, fanservice can do that. But on the bright side, it's a Weekly Shonen Jump anime adaptation so it's not like it's guaranteed to be dangerously ecchi 100% of the time, it's directed by the GaoGaiGar and Brigadoon guy so you know it'll be some degree of fun, and when all else fails, there's always the gorgeously drawn cuisine to look at.

Shokugeki-no-Soma-San-no-Sara-13-06.jpg

Edited by PokeNirvash

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

MHA And Jojo had failed them

We have no idea exactly why MHA was moved to 3:30. It didn't appear to have failed them. As for Jojo ... why is he coming to that idea!? It was kept in the middle of the block!

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1