UnevenEdge

Summer 2019

QueenoftheDorks

https://anichart.net/Summer-2019

We're just a few weeks away from the end of Spring. Is it too early to plan for summer??

Most of my current series will have ended. It looks like I'll be down to just Fruits Basket and Demon Slayer so I'm looking to pick up Fire Force, Vinland Saga, Given for sure. I might pick up Dr. STONE and Try Knights if I hear good things.

• Like 2

Man, Arifueta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou sounds like a direct ripoff of Shield Hero, except set in a classroom for added boredom, with a touch of Abyss for spice.

Not seeing a ton that interests me (other than all the ones Queen mentioned).  But yay! Mo Dao Zu Shi is returning, so that's a definite watch.

I'm not sure what to think about Ensemble Stars!  I'm wary because too many characters plus plaid pants.  But David Production!  I suspect I'm in only if the season turns out to be much leaner than it already looks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Man, Arifueta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou sounds like a direct ripoff of Shield Hero, except set in a classroom for added boredom, with a touch of Abyss for spice.

Not seeing a ton that interests me (other than all the ones Queen mentioned).  But yay! Mo Dao Zu Shi is returning, so that's a definite watch.

I'm not sure what to think about Ensemble Stars!  I'm wary because too many characters plus plaid pants.  But David Production!  I suspect I'm in only if the season turns out to be much leaner than it already looks.

I just want to say that the Kanata no Astra manga was really good and if the anime is half as good it will be pretty great.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I used to follow a girl on tumblr who played the game and they're all very cute. I just glad male idol shows continue even if I haven't watched any of them yet. Too busy getting into real idols. 😁

• 2 weeks later...

damn. i cant tell you how many times i read "transported to another world.."

Will probably watch:

Joshikousei depending on how funny it is, and definitely Sounan..the manga gives me some laughs, so im curious to see it animated.

Maybe:

Dumbbell (lol)

Dr. Stone

Araburu (could be funny)

Kanata no Astra

well. could be another quiet season for me.

• Like 2

read it a lot but refuse to watch it anymore, everyone was hyped about that shield hero so I tried it for a handful of episodes, just way too many childish elements I can't take seriously.

Definitely add Vinland Saga man, studio Wit does a real nice job with their animation and if you like Berserk for being a gritty action seinen with heartbreaking consequences for the characters involved you won't be disappointed with this one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hidden said:

@scope

my plan was to read the manga first before jumping into the anime? you know im a manga whore.

but if you end up watching it and its a pretty good adaptation, let me know and ill check it out.

nice avatar btw.

Probably a good plan, the manga is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 11:05 PM, Hidden said:

Will probably watch:

Joshikousei and Sounan.

Maybe:

Dumbbell (lol)

Dr. Stone

Araburu (could be funny)

Kanata no Astra

well my small collection of shows all turned out pretty well going by first eps actually. pretty proud.

i caved and gave the firefighter show a try since its from the soul eater author and all. wasnt dissapointed. came out in love with a girl named Maki.

for those of you who may be on the fence about Araburu...i say try it. i enjoyed it the most out of all of these. good comedy, and the characters seem nice at a glance. seems like it could be promising down the road.

anyone else have a favorite first episode from their list of shows?

so far i just watched araburu something or other...o maidens...oh i cant rmb. bout the girls in the litterature club discovering their sexuality and stuff. anyways it was prety cute and i ended up reading what i could find of the manga online. it seems like its gonna be a good one.

havent checked out any others. 

So far

• Dr. Stone - It's an interesting premise for a shounen action series. I like that it's from the writer of Eyeshield 21 so I know he's probably put in the work on the science research even if it's fudged for story telling purposes. I do which he had Murata on art again, but you take what you can get. If the science guy ends up being as fun and well written as Hiruma it will be worth it.
  • Fire Force - Kind of generic storywise, but the animation is absolutely gorgeous. I already know what David Production is capable of. The voice cast was pretty good with Suzumura and Nakai involved so I'll keep checking it out. 
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 1:54 PM, QueenoftheDorks said:

So far

• Dr. Stone - It's an interesting premise for a shounen action series. I like that it's from the writer of Eyeshield 21 so I know he's probably put in the work on the science research even if it's fudged for story telling purposes. I do which he had Murata on art again, but you take what you can get. If the science guy ends up being as fun and well written as Hiruma it will be worth it.
  • Fire Force - Kind of generic storywise, but the animation is absolutely gorgeous. I already know what David Production is capable of. The voice cast was pretty good with Suzumura and Nakai involved so I'll keep checking it out. 
  • Vinland Saga - I'm trying to not watch all three episodes at once so I don't have to wait for the 4th episode, but I really liked it. I wasn't quite what I expected in a good way. I'm always a sucker for a story that starts with someone as a little kid and then the world breaks them so I'm definitely on board for the season.
  • Given - A very solid first episode. I like the dark haired guy and the other two dudes in the band are super cute. I'm also very impressed with their rotoscoping on the instrument scenes. I'm still so behind on anime in general, but it's come a long way since the very obviously done piano hands in Nodame.
  • Like 2

if theres one thing i didnt expect going into this anime season, it was to learn something i could apply to my every day life.

i totally do dynamic stretches instead of regular ones before going to the gym now thanks to Dumbbell.

i fully endorse this show.

• Like 2

^ All of this (referring to Queen's post not Hidden's, who ninja'd me).  It's funny, but Dr. Stone keeps looking like David Production is doing it, with character designs that have echoes of JoJoBA in them. :)

And I was shocked when one of ANN's preview reviewers dogged on Given's instrument animation, because that was one of the things that most impressed me.  It's only a step down from the stellar work in Kids on the Slope.  Makes Piano no Mori look like it's from the stone age. :D

Edited by Gina Szanboti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So far, my favorite show of the season is Dumbbell. Such an enjoyable cast of characters and it gives out some valuable life lessons. 

El Melloi II Case Files is a treat since I enjoyed Waver's side of the story the most in Fate/Zero and it's cool to see where he's coming from now that he's an older curmudgeonly teacher.

The mom isekai surprised me with how much I liked it and how much its meta humor and familial drama stood out for me.

Fire Force is an enjoyable shounen although I do think it could use some of the quirkiness that Soul Eater had.

Araburu is pretty solid, but I know the manga does get odd later on.

I still need to catch up with Kimetsu no Yaiba since I fell off around the Zenitsu episodes

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 7:32 PM, imchapp.in said:

So far, my favorite show of the season is Dumbbell. Such an enjoyable cast of characters and it gives out some valuable life lessons. 

omg i finally got around to watching that and catching up lol. machio is the best ❤️

i finally caught up to Given, which im really enjoying. 

annnnd there was that one anime about the girls in the lit club that was discovering sexuality? that one too is fun.

havent rly gotten around to watching anything else. but i heard good things about that mom isekai anime so maybe ill take a lool

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cidz said:

i finally caught up to Given, which im really enjoying. 

It's really good so far.  It's a real slow burn, but that's fine.  I like all the characters, which is kinda amazing.

Having a lot of fun with Dr. Stone too.  Every time I think they're going to half-ass the science, they fool me and do it right.

So about halfway through the season my top 5 is

1. Vinland Saga- Head and shoulders above the pack, even the anime original material has been mostly on point.

2. Dr. Stone- Pretty interesting but I feel like we're only scratching the surface

3. Fire Force- Awesome animation, last episode had some great action scenes

4. O Maidens in Your Savage Season- Quirky but mostly charming with some decent characters

5. Given- Came for the music, stayed for the characters and pace.

Pretty sure Vinland Saga is gonna be by anime of 2019 and probably one of my all-time favorites barring some unforeseen dip in quality, really hope it garners enough interest to get a season 2 and go further than the prologue.

Edited by scope

• 2 weeks later...

please tell me im not the only one watching Wasteful Days of High School Girls and saw todays ep.

if anyone doubted this earlier on like myself..i assure you it picks up.

they even managed to make the resident chuunibyou funny to me, and i thought i had gotten my fill of that from the Chuunibyou anime.