UnevenEdge

Vic Mignogna is in Trouble

ben0119

3 hours ago, elfie said:

Judge: "And closing now, Mr. Mignogna, I'd like to ask ..... what did you think you would gain from this?? There was no case!"

I read that in Judge Judy's voice and now this whole trial has to be on Judge Judy.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2019 at 7:21 PM, EmpressAngel said:

" Mignogna is seeking "monetary relief over $1,000,000.00" in part due to Funimation no longer contracting him for future productions, as well as conventions canceling his appearances. "

Fucking christ, somebody wanna tell McNuggets that cons aren't obligated to invite him to shit? Even if you disregard aaaaall the sexual harassment, he's still got a major reputation for being a pain in the ass as a guest and treating con staff like garbage. Eventually that would have caught up to him and enough places would decide he's not worth the money.

He can sue for it, but it's difficult and most likely not going to be the money that he's asking.  Pretty much I think he's going to win his case against Monica and the gang. However his case against Funimation itself doesn't hold much weight since voice actors are freelance. He can sue for loss of monetary income given he provides proof of income lost via standard Defamation case.  I doubt he's getting a million based on that. At best a voice actor is getting 15k-25k extra cash if they are hitting up all the major anime cons a year. Even if Vic were at the top of his game it would take 40 years of doing conventions before he'd see a million dollars; he'd be 96 years old. At best I could only see them granting him 10 years worth if that which would be a quarter million. More I think he wants the law suit against Funimation to more rattle cages. This has created a lot of Drama and now has big daddy Sony watching what is going on, and could result in management being shuffled and bumped down/out.  

• Confused 1

On 5/7/2019 at 7:44 AM, PokeNirvash said:

I tried watching one of this guy's videos once. Strike one was calling Rial's fiance "Ronald Soye" instead of "Ronald Toye". Strike two was him spelling out certain words to get the video through "the YouTube algorithm". Strike three was him genuinely wishing the end of Anime News Network - an online encyclopedia that I've put years into helping expand and constantly use for staff and cast information - for no other reason than he wants the #KickVic-supportive staff to get sued like Jamie and Monica are right now.

Fuck that guy.

Don't know the video, but I'm fine with ANN going under, the place has become a garbage fire over the years from a journalistic standpoint. They faked a bunch of photos; the one admin defended the photos that he shopped because they were based on "allegations" despite not labeling the photos as a dramatization. Then said some stuff about having to believe all allegations from women even if there is no proof. Then two weeks later the guy was accused of rape by some girl, and he denied said it never happened; which goes against his logic of all allegations are true because women wouldn't lie about things like that. I remember like 8 or 10 years ago having an argument with Zac. They were plugging Dark Horse comics a lot at the time. Then they were talking about the Evangelion "spin-off" Angelic days. He said and a guy from Dark Horse both said; It's a canon continuation of NGE, then shit talked NGE and hyped up Angelic Days etc. I was like wtf are you talking about it's a slice of life rom/com spin-off. He got all pissed called me troll told me to fuck off; pretty much followed me through the boards there and fucked with me until I got annoyed with his shit enough and left. All because I called bullshit on them, at what I hope was just getting their facts wrong; but it sounded more like dishonest marketing practices trying to shill really one of the worst manga spin-offs I've read. From what I hear Zac and the other higher ups on the site haven't gotten any better. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

He can sue for it, but it's difficult and most likely not going to be the money that he's asking.  Pretty much I think he's going to win his case against Monica and the gang. However his case against Funimation itself doesn't hold much weight since voice actors are freelance. He can sue for loss of monetary income given he provides proof of income lost via standard Defamation case.  I doubt he's getting a million based on that. At best a voice actor is getting 15k-25k extra cash if they are hitting up all the major anime cons a year. Even if Vic were at the top of his game it would take 40 years of doing conventions before he'd see a million dollars; he'd be 96 years old. At best I could only see them granting him 10 years worth if that which would be a quarter million. More I think he wants the law suit against Funimation to more rattle cages. This has created a lot of Drama and now has big daddy Sony watching what is going on, and could result in management being shuffled and bumped down/out.  

You think he's going to win the defamation suit? Cuz that has about a .1 percent chance of happening.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Don't know the video, but I'm fine with ANN going under, the place has become a garbage fire over the years from a journalistic standpoint. They faked a bunch of photos; the one admin defended the photos that he shopped because they were based on "allegations" despite not labeling the photos as a dramatization. Then said some stuff about having to believe all allegations from women even if there is no proof. Then two weeks later the guy was accused of rape by some girl, and he denied said it never happened; which goes against his logic of all allegations are true because women wouldn't lie about things like that. I remember like 8 or 10 years ago having an argument with Zac. They were plugging Dark Horse comics a lot at the time. Then they were talking about the Evangelion "spin-off" Angelic days. He said and a guy from Dark Horse both said; It's a canon continuation of NGE, then shit talked NGE and hyped up Angelic Days etc. I was like wtf are you talking about it's a slice of life rom/com spin-off. He got all pissed called me troll told me to fuck off; pretty much followed me through the boards there and fucked with me until I got annoyed with his shit enough and left. All because I called bullshit on them, at what I hope was just getting their facts wrong; but it sounded more like dishonest marketing practices trying to shill really one of the worst manga spin-offs I've read. From what I hear Zac and the other higher ups on the site haven't gotten any better. 

No one "faked" any photos.  Stop repeating incel bullshit.  The original article used generic photos of Vic hugging con-goers to reinforce the point that he's had a reputation of being touchy-feely with his fans for decades.  The article was later edited to clarify the purpose of the photos, but it was never implied that the people depicted were the ones who had filed complaints against Vic.  I don't know what the hell you're on about the rape allegation, but if it's from the same place you seem to be getting all of your "news," I'll go ahead and assume it's total bullshit too.

And yes, the same Zac who just wrote a column about how Eva is his favorite series of all time totally told you that Angelic Days was canon.  Uh-huh.  Totally.

• Like 3

Sevakis was accused of stalking, by one woman, but he was easily able to prove the allegations false and that was the end of it. It turned out that she was the one harassing him for years.  It's also a funny accusation since he's gay.  Mignogna's got dozens of complaints against him, going back decades, and the best he can do is offer "I don't remember it like that" as a defense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Daos said:

You think he's going to win the defamation suit? Cuz that has about a .1 percent chance of happening.

No I doubt he'll win a case against funi, I even said that I'm sure he won't win that case. I did explain on what would be possible for him to actually gain if he did win though. There is no way in hell he's getting a full million even on the slim chance of him winning that case. However I do believe that he will win his other case against Monica and the others. Their Suit involves him eating a jellybean with their name on it, and having nightmares/emotional distress about it. That isn't really how an emotional damages case works. There has to be physical or tangible evidence in these cases. Like if they were distraught enough over Vic that they had to go see a Therapist, they could in turn sue and gain Therapist fees etc. 

22 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Sevakis was accused of stalking, by one woman, but he was easily able to prove the allegations false and that was the end of it. It turned out that she was the one harassing him for years.  It's also a funny accusation since he's gay.  Mignogna's got dozens of complaints against him, going back decades, and the best he can do is offer "I don't remember it like that" as a defense.

I think it goes to show though that you can't just take a persons word at face value without real evidence. We actually had a case out my way where 5 girls accused a boy of rape and he went to jail with no evidence. Another girl then came forward and said, hey these girls just wanted to get him in trouble because they didn't like him, they wanted me to help them, here's the text messages etc; and they let the boy out. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

No I doubt he'll win a case against funi, I even said that I'm sure he won't win that case. I did explain on what would be possible for him to actually gain if he did win though. There is no way in hell he's getting a full million even on the slim chance of him winning that case. However I do believe that he will win his other case against Monica and the others. Their Suit involves him eating a jellybean with their name on it, and having nightmares/emotional distress about it. That isn't really how an emotional damages case works. There has to be physical or tangible evidence in these cases. Like if they were distraught enough over Vic that they had to go see a Therapist, they could in turn sue and gain Therapist fees etc. 

The jellybean thing is not REMOTELY the focus of the suit.  Stop looking at whatever fucking terrible sources you're getting your information from, or kindly remove yourself from the conversation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Top Gun said:

No one "faked" any photos.  Stop repeating incel bullshit.  The original article used generic photos of Vic hugging con-goers to reinforce the point that he's had a reputation of being touchy-feely with his fans for decades.  The article was later edited to clarify the purpose of the photos, but it was never implied that the people depicted were the ones who had filed complaints against Vic.  I don't know what the hell you're on about the rape allegation, but if it's from the same place you seem to be getting all of your "news," I'll go ahead and assume it's total bullshit too.

And yes, the same Zac who just wrote a column about how Eva is his favorite series of all time totally told you that Angelic Days was canon.  Uh-huh.  Totally.

If you edit photos and present them like that without context then they're faked. None of them say that here is a photo of a fan asking vic for a hug/kiss and photo; which is what the people in the photo's came forward and complained about there photo's being used. It would be like me writing an article saying Tom Brady Pedophile then ignore to mention that the photo is his son. That is called misleading journalism and is grounds for libel; given it causes damages to a party. 

Edited by HardcoreHunter
  • D'oh 1

18 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I think it goes to show though that you can't just take a persons word at face value without real evidence. We actually had a case out my way where 5 girls accused a boy of rape and he went to jail with no evidence. Another girl then came forward and said, hey these girls just wanted to get him in trouble because they didn't like him, they wanted me to help them, here's the text messages etc; and they let the boy out. 

I highly fucking doubt someone went to jail for rape with no evidence. Arrested? Yes. Convicted? Get fucking real.

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

I highly fucking doubt someone went to jail for rape with no evidence. Arrested? Yes. Convicted? Get fucking real.

They sent him to Juvi where he was supposed to say until he turned 18 then would be sent to jail, but the other girl's evidence was able to get him out after 9 days. So he didn't get to go to adult ass rape jail, but that was the original plan based on the court ruling. But yeah he was convicted based on 5 girls who just didn't like him. There was a counter suit and the Judge gave the girls a slap on the wrist said that they didn't do anything wrong, and it's wrong to ruin 5 people's lives over a dumb childish mistake. This was at my old high school which is why I even know anything about it. 

https://archive.triblive.com/local/regional/lawsuit-accuses-seneca-valley-mean-girls-of-targeting-boy-with-false-allegations/

Edited by HardcoreHunter

21 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

The jellybean thing is not REMOTELY the focus of the suit.  Stop looking at whatever fucking terrible sources you're getting your information from, or kindly remove yourself from the conversation.

All of their court claims are shit like that, go read the deposition. They couldn't even bring up when Monica said that Vic kissed her in a room over a decade ago because of the statue of limitations and lack of evidence. The only things that they can bring up in court are small petty disputes. Not to mention a lot of her claims are harmed by video's and tweets between her and Vic as little as a week before the big blowout happened. There's a video of her hugging him in the editing room. There are messages she sends him with Kiss emoji, etc. However on vic's side of that we have Monica threatening to press charges against fans for "attacking" her when they weren't; which she had since apologized for, and that message from Jamie saying she wants his balls and doing jokes about dodging Subpoena for a month. That kinda shit can harm a case, Judges don't like to see that. 

15 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

They sent him to Juvi where he was supposed to say until he turned 18 then would be sent to jail, but the other girl's evidence was able to get him out after 9 days. So he didn't get to go to adult ass rape jail, but that was the original plan based on the court ruling. But yeah he was convicted based on 5 girls who just didn't like him. There was a counter suit and the Judge gave the girls a slap on the wrist said that they didn't do anything wrong, and it's wrong to ruin 5 people's lives over a dumb childish mistake. 

https://archive.triblive.com/local/regional/lawsuit-accuses-seneca-valley-mean-girls-of-targeting-boy-with-false-allegations/

You're typically arrested and detained when you're being charged with a crime. Sometimes you get out on bail or house arrest and sometimes you don't. It's why you get sentencing where people are released after the conviction for time served. I'm willing to bet based solely on that article that this boy is black and that's why he was detained at juvenile detention and at his home and probably why the charges were taken seriously. The girls were definitely white which also explains the slap on the wrist.

We had a case here where a prominent white man in the community was charged and convicted of several counts of molesting young boys, all of which were from troubled homes (the guy worked as a youth counselor). He was a free man walking until his conviction. Before the trial there Facebook videos of him basically doing a goodwill support tour where he went to different businesses and just filmed people telling him how much they supported him and how the charges were all lies. He even tried to flee the country with his mom and was detained at DFW for it and was still able to walk around.

EDIT: To add to that. We also had a dude rape his girlfriend's toddler get out on bail. The child's family had to petition the court to revoke the bail. They had DNA evidence on him the entire time and a judge let the man out on bail.

Edited by QueenoftheDorks
  • Thanks 1

Just now, QueenoftheDorks said:

You're typically arrested and detained when you're being charged with a crime. Sometimes you get out on bail or house arrest and sometimes you don't. It's why you get sentencing where people are released after the conviction for time served. I'm willing to bet based solely on that article that this boy is black and that's why he was detained at juvenile detention and at his home and probably why the charges were taken seriously. The girls were definitely white which also explains the slap on the wrist.

We had a case here where a prominent white man in the community was charged and convicted of several counts of molesting young boys, all of which were from troubled homes (the guy worked as a youth counselor). He was a free man walking until his conviction. Before the trial there Facebook videos of him basically doing a goodwill support tour where he went to different businesses and just filmed people telling him how much they supported him and how the charges were all lies. He even tried to flee the country with his mom and was detained at DFW for it and was still able to walk around.

The Floods are white and live like 7 miles from me,  I'd  say over 99% of the school is white. I had a graduating class of around 700 students and there were only 4 black kids, a handful of asian kids, and 3 Arab kids who were siblings. The only mexican girl I knew in the school was half mexican. Still it's sad knowing that these girls tired to ruin that kids life just because they didn't like him. I guess the kid has been in therapy and has had to be home schooled. It's really fucked with his ability to trust people. The few friends that he did have I guess abandoned him and never came back even after he was found not guilty. 

There's also issue with Funimation's interests and Monica and Jamie's best interests not being the same in the long game.  According to what Monica had said is that it was known by everyone at Funimation that they have had issue with Vic for years now. Then Jamie and others came to her which is when shit hit the fan. If this is true then Funimation is libel for a toxic unsafe working environment for it's staff. It would be like hiring a teacher that is known to have touched kids. If you have knowledge of a persons instabilities and still chose to hire them anyway; and they continue to assault/harass; then it puts the hiring party at fault. Funimation I doubt is going to want to do this, so they'll more than likely try their hardest to deface the credibility of Monica and Jamie if push comes to shove. 

10 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I know he's an eva fan. Him and EvaMonkey from Evageeks had this odd train of thought years ago that you could say things that happened in one series; and that they work the same as if they happened in the other series; which today we call Headcanon. This was back in 2006 around the time 1.0 news was coming out. So it may have just been a product of the time due to 1.0 being the first eva related thing we had since 95. Pretty much my point was that manga is one continuity and the series is another, but manga Kaworu and Rei which are more fleshed out in the manga; which ended in them saying things that happened in the series, that didn't happen in the series. The Angelic Days thing was around the time that I think monkey, Zac, and a guy from Dark Horse were on. Part of the conversation I remember having with them was long the lines of saying that AD is part of the canon is like saying Re-Take is part of the canon because it's pretty much a spin-off fanfic. I think their defense though was that AD is licensed while Re-Take is just fanfic trash. So from what I gathered at that time was that if something is licensed then they believe that it's within the same continuity. That or there was some sort of deal going on with Dark Horse that I didn't know about. To say the least I'm sure opinions have changed on that kind of stuff by this point. I know a lot of my views have changed on things over the last 13 years.  Still leans towards bad journalistic practices. I can't really speak for their encyclopedia though I do assume it is more orderly than their news and opinion blogs. Like when they said that Rising of the Shield Hero shouldn't be dubbed; because of the whole false rape allegations in the show. Then once again that one guy had false rape allegations against him, who was defending that article and the kickvic articles. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

EDIT: To add to that. We also had a dude rape his girlfriend's toddler get out on bail. The child's family had to petition the court to revoke the bail. They had DNA evidence on him the entire time and a judge let the man out on bail.

They must have set his bail low like idiots in that case if he could actually afford it. Bondsmen usually won't post bail for people who are convicted for child rape. If the mother doesn't even want to bother with the court system she could just go to any biker gang and they'd take care of it. They sometimes take probono cases when it involves children. 

Just now, HardcoreHunter said:

They must have set his bail low like idiots in that case if he could actually afford it. Bondsmen usually won't post bail for people who are convicted for child rape. If the mother doesn't even want to bother with the court system she could just go to any biker gang and they'd take care of it. They sometimes take probono cases when it involves children. 

His family is loaded. His great uncle used to be a lawyer and owns a fuckton of land the area he got by scamming people back in the 70s. If you got busted for anything he'd promise to get you a plea deal if you signed over all your land to him.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Yeah he has no case. He's freelance and companies aren't obliged to hire him for anything, nor are cons obliged to invite him. I'm surprised you think he'll win the case against Monica, jamie, and Roye.

Edited by elfie

8 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

His family is loaded. His great uncle used to be a lawyer and owns a fuckton of land the area he got by scamming people back in the 70s. If you got busted for anything he'd promise to get you a plea deal if you signed over all your land to him.

... wait.... Vic??? Are you serious? THis is news to me!

23 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

It's a shame when justice can be bought 

14 minutes ago, elfie said:

... wait.... Vic??? Are you serious? THis is news to me!

No it's some unrelated story, like my one about the 5 "mean girls". 

3 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

If you edit photos and present them like that without context then they're faked. None of them say that here is a photo of a fan asking vic for a hug/kiss and photo; which is what the people in the photo's came forward and complained about there photo's being used. It would be like me writing an article saying Tom Brady Pedophile then ignore to mention that the photo is his son. That is called misleading journalism and is grounds for libel; given it causes damages to a party. 

...they didn't edit the photos.  At all.  And they never claimed that those specific photos involved Vic inappropriately touching someone.  Again, stop spreading bullshit.

2 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

All of their court claims are shit like that, go read the deposition. They couldn't even bring up when Monica said that Vic kissed her in a room over a decade ago because of the statue of limitations and lack of evidence. The only things that they can bring up in court are small petty disputes. Not to mention a lot of her claims are harmed by video's and tweets between her and Vic as little as a week before the big blowout happened. There's a video of her hugging him in the editing room. There are messages she sends him with Kiss emoji, etc. However on vic's side of that we have Monica threatening to press charges against fans for "attacking" her when they weren't; which she had since apologized for, and that message from Jamie saying she wants his balls and doing jokes about dodging Subpoena for a month. That kinda shit can harm a case, Judges don't like to see that. 

...what are you even talking about?  Monica and Jamie aren't the ones bringing claims in court; they know full well that even if they had damning physical evidence, the statute of limitations has run out for most of those crimes.  Have you really never heard of instances where people continue to act cordially towards those who have abused them?  Because if not, go and read pretty much any survivor's account ever.  And if you genuinely think that someone lashing out in anger against someone who abused them constitutes a threat, or can "harm" a case, I don't know what the hell to tell you.  Vic's case is the one that's utterly laughable...his pathetic excuse for a legal team had to spell out that he is not a literal piece of human feces.  That's the level we're dealing with here.

2 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

There's also issue with Funimation's interests and Monica and Jamie's best interests not being the same in the long game.  According to what Monica had said is that it was known by everyone at Funimation that they have had issue with Vic for years now. Then Jamie and others came to her which is when shit hit the fan. If this is true then Funimation is libel for a toxic unsafe working environment for it's staff. It would be like hiring a teacher that is known to have touched kids. If you have knowledge of a persons instabilities and still chose to hire them anyway; and they continue to assault/harass; then it puts the hiring party at fault. Funimation I doubt is going to want to do this, so they'll more than likely try their hardest to deface the credibility of Monica and Jamie if push comes to shove. 

...again, you have no idea what you are talking about.  Many of the incidents did not occur on FUNi's property.  It was generally known that Vic was a creep, but the specific details on much of a scumbag he was weren't common knowledge, and corporations generally won't act on mere hearsay.  It wasn't until more people started to come forward and more credible evidence came up in their investigations that they chose to make the move.  Stop erecting strawmen.

Seriously, if what you have is the best defense that Vic can mount, he's fucked.  Good riddance.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I know he's an eva fan. Him and EvaMonkey from Evageeks had this odd train of thought years ago that you could say things that happened in one series; and that they work the same as if they happened in the other series; which today we call Headcanon. This was back in 2006 around the time 1.0 news was coming out. So it may have just been a product of the time due to 1.0 being the first eva related thing we had since 95. Pretty much my point was that manga is one continuity and the series is another, but manga Kaworu and Rei which are more fleshed out in the manga; which ended in them saying things that happened in the series, that didn't happen in the series. The Angelic Days thing was around the time that I think monkey, Zac, and a guy from Dark Horse were on. Part of the conversation I remember having with them was long the lines of saying that AD is part of the canon is like saying Re-Take is part of the canon because it's pretty much a spin-off fanfic. I think their defense though was that AD is licensed while Re-Take is just fanfic trash. So from what I gathered at that time was that if something is licensed then they believe that it's within the same continuity. That or there was some sort of deal going on with Dark Horse that I didn't know about. To say the least I'm sure opinions have changed on that kind of stuff by this point. I know a lot of my views have changed on things over the last 13 years.  Still leans towards bad journalistic practices. I can't really speak for their encyclopedia though I do assume it is more orderly than their news and opinion blogs. Like when they said that Rising of the Shield Hero shouldn't be dubbed; because of the whole false rape allegations in the show. Then once again that one guy had false rape allegations against him, who was defending that article and the kickvic articles. 

Based on the rest of your posts in this thread, I think it's far more likely that you're misrepresenting what happened.

3 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Based on the rest of your posts in this thread, I think it's far more likely that you're misrepresenting what happened.

I'll let the dumb eva thing slide because it was over a decade ago; and I can't fully remember the conversation anymore. All I mainly remember was what I had written and some debates where I'd explain to them that Manga Kaworu is different than Series Kaworu, but they both really like Kaworu even though he's only in 8mins of an episode; and all of his character moments are in the manga, and it's not one continuity. I digress based on addendum by ANN and indictments and deposition from Vic, Monica, and Ron are where I gathered most of my facts. Other things like possible outcomes are more just how I feel the trial will play out depending on different scenarios. 

ANN Addendum 

- A previous version of this article published on January 30 included a photo of a minor being kissed on the cheek by Vic Mignogna. The photo and two other photos showing similar behavior were used in the article to illustrate the commonality of such posing by Mignogna with female fans, some underage. Anime News Network at no time claimed those photos were examples of non-consent by the subjects. Due to third party mischaracterization of the photos and a request relayed from one individual in the photo, Anime News Networkremoved the fan club photographs on February 4.

I'll just give you news from where I get mine. Long short of it is produce evidence and Monica and Ron say No.  There are some other papers I still need to re-find.

Original Petition
Response to original petition from monica

Response to original petition from Ron

Response from Vic's legal council

Response from Vic's legal council to Casey Eriks motion to Quash

Follow up letter from vics legal

Vic's motion to quash

As for character clearly how someone acts around someone who they fear and sexually harassed them for years month prior to the case. I can also post all of the messages that Monica has with Vic and kiss emoji around the release of the dragonball film. I don't really feel they're necessary at this point but I can post them just to show I don't pull facts out of my ass. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Seriously, if what you have is the best defense that Vic can mount, he's fucked.  Good riddance.

Vics the plaintiff he has a case not a defense. Either way I think everyone is taking this too personal. Most of you I've talked with for over a decade now and yinz act as I should leave over a simple difference in opinion on a court case. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Vics the plaintiff he has a case not a defense. Either way I think everyone is taking this too personal. Most of you I've talked with for over a decade now and yinz act as I should leave over a simple difference in opinion on a court case. 

I have no idea who you are, but all I do know is that you're spouting the same sort of shit that the incel hordes have been frothing at the mouth over since this all started.  You may not be using them for sources, but you're definitely coming across in a similar manner.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I have no idea who you are, but all I do know is that you're spouting the same sort of shit that the incel hordes have been frothing at the mouth over since this all started.  You may not be using them for sources, but you're definitely coming across in a similar manner.

Been on ASMB since back in 06 we've talked more than a couple of times. You can ask buu, naraku , ciddy, elfie, gaynor, ben, etc I've been around for a while.  As for me sounding like an incel I'm just going from a legal standpoint where you seem to be on a moral one. As of now Ron And Monica refusal  of terms and evidence hasn't been working in their favor, they're effectively waving their right to objection; which is going to make the case much easier for vic when you can't object anything. They're already over the allowed timelimit on that for discovery. To say the least thing's aren't looking in their favor if I were a judge because they now can't present any evidence to prove that what they said or did was justified. Vic's lawyer can just present his case and they have to sit there and say nothing unless the judge is in a very good mood and gives them an extension. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

they now can't present any evidence to prove that what they said or did was justified

They don't have to.  Burden of proof is on Vic, and in libel cases with public figures (and he'll have a hard time arguing he's not a public figure when half of his complaint is not getting to get paid to attend cons as a guest celebrity) that bar is pretty damned high.  He has to prove not only that what they've said isn't true, but that they knew it wasn't true and said it anyway to intentionally cause him harm.  I don't think he can do that.  Especially after "apologizing" and promising to "take time away to meditate and pray" on his actions after the shit hit the fan. (quotes may not be verbatim quotes, I just don't feel like looking up his exact wording.) 

If he had been innocent all along, he wouldn't have apologized in any manner.  It was only after that didn't magically fix everything this time like he expected it to, and new allegations kept coming out, that he started denying he'd ever done anything wrong.

And no, there's no reason for you to have to leave the boards over this. :)

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Burden of proof is on Vic, and in libel cases with public figures (and he'll have a hard time arguing he's not a public figure when half of his complaint is not getting to get paid to attend cons as a guest celebrity) that bar is pretty damned high. 

I think that's why it's gonna get tossed out. You can't try to file a defamation suit as a private individual and then claim you're losing money for public appearances.At the very least he's a Limited Purpose Public Figure on the voice acting/anime front which is how athletes are looped into public figures sometimes.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Burden of proof is on Vic,

He does have to present proof, but the others have to have a defense that is more than just "nuh uh"; which they can't properly provide if they keep jacking around on this paperwork. They will still be allowed to state objections to knowledge that is privy to the court; ie you can object hypothetical evidence/statements, or object contradictory statements and evidence.  However they won't be able to present a counter argument that could grant them a not guilty verdict with the evidence that has been submitted thus far from my view.  Their refusal and nigh defiance to oblige discovery; may hinder their ability to even gain witness testimony on their behalf. I don't really know the appeal process in Texas, but they may be trying a long game where they are actually planning on appealing this case, until they actually have enough people to mount a reasonable defense. Pretty much you would want enough pieces of evidence to create reasonable doubt that Vic's claims are bunk. Not to mention that they are in a court in the conservative heart of texas; that aren't known for their "woke" ways of thought.  

In turn I'm thinking that Vic may easily drop his case against Funi. When you sue a large company there is a good chance they just throw you shut up/fuck you money to stay out of court. Ted Turner actually said this which was a big mistake on his part because then WCW wrestlers were suing TNT every time they left and he'd just write them a half million dollar check to stay out of court. Microsoft on the other hand will fight anyone; they're one of the most vindictive companies on earth; and will abuse the appeals process to tie up litigation for years. So I'm thinking that in the case of Funi; Vic thought that Sony would either write him a fuck you check, or he's just going to drop it because even if he wins, sony can appeal him into the poor house before they'd ever have to pay him. 

1 hour ago, Gina Szanboti said:

If he had been innocent all along, he wouldn't have apologized in any manner.  It was only after that didn't magically fix everything this time like he expected it to, and new allegations kept coming out, that he started denying he'd ever done anything wrong.

I've never really been a fan of the whole apology is an admission of guilt philosophy.  Media a lot of times runs both ways with this, where they'll freak out if someone doesn't apologize or they refuse to say anything; and they'll also have the whole apology is a sign of guilt double edged sword.  I have said in the past that I do believe that there is probably some backstage drama going on. However a lot of things that had been shared sounded more like years of annoyance rather than sexual assault. The only case I've heard of actual possible sexual misconduct was when Vic  kissed Monica 12 years ago at an anime con; and that story has changed a couple of times because I've also heard it as "tried to kiss".  Really I'd say that they're both possibly at fault. Vic seems like an in the moment kind of guy that isn't fully able to pick up on social ques, and Monica from messages I've seen that she sends to Vic; really gives off some flirtatious ques even if not intentional. I've been at con room parties and VA's get wrecked. Back in 07 I had to carry Katie Gray back to her room because she got so wasted and gave her a bucket to puke in; she had to miss her panels and pay back the con for her room, flight, and a fine for breaking contract. However I also remember there used to be  an after dark VA panel where VA's would talk about pretty much what horrible people they are towards each other.  A lot of the stuff said in those would make a drunk kiss sound like playground shit.  Then there is the literal playground annoyance stuff that is the bulk of the list like the jellybean, having nightmares,  Hair pulling, Vic being annoying and yanking her arm to translate japanese etc.   I even talked with her at Tekko 2017 and she said that Vic was fun to work with when I asked who she likes working with; which really goes along side that video I posted of her talking with and hugging Vic; and the messages she was sending him while they were doing the broly movie with kiss emoji right before the shit hit the fan.  

It still feels like there is a missing piece that neither side is fully being honest about. However Jamie hasn't really said anything other than she Hates Vic and he harassed her, before she went on her game of dodging subpoena. I did read a message that Jamie wrote to someone that said that all of her claims of sexual harassment had happened so long ago that they surpass the statute of limitations.  Depending on the state the statute of limitations is 180-300 days to report sexual harassment; and she was asking anyone who had been harassed by Vic to come forward to report it, however as far as I know there have been no criminal cases filed. Just lots of blog/twitter/tumbler posts made from alleged incidents. 

From Funi's view they have an easy defense though. Once again Voice Actors are freelance. What they do while not under contract and not within a Sony owned facility is none of their concern. They have no responsibility for what happens to their VA's or fans at conventions. They are more than easily going to be able to cover their ass. 

2 hours ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

I think that's why it's gonna get tossed out. You can't try to file a defamation suit as a private individual and then claim you're losing money for public appearances.At the very least he's a Limited Purpose Public Figure on the voice acting/anime front which is how athletes are looped into public figures sometimes.

As a public figure you pretty much lose your right to privacy within public. Pretty much why celebrities can be photographed in public, but everyone else has to sign a waver or have their face blurred out. However you're still protected from defamation. Hulk Hogan for example  won that Defamation case against Gawker for 115 million dollars. However they were just going to keep it going in appeals court; so despite being awarded 115 million, Hogan agreed to take 36 million in fuck you money. However this was also at a time when Gawker was hated by all the big money corps for leaking secrets to the public. So many do believe that this was just an excuse to punish them. Much like when people will sometimes get the maximum punishment for minor crimes in order to send a message.  

12 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

As a public figure you pretty much lose your right to privacy within public. Pretty much why celebrities can be photographed in public, but everyone else has to sign a waver or have their face blurred out. However you're still protected from defamation. Hulk Hogan for example  won that Defamation case against Gawker for 115 million dollars. However they were just going to keep it going in appeals court; so despite being awarded 115 million, Hogan agreed to take 36 million in fuck you money. However this was also at a time when Gawker was hated by all the big money corps for leaking secrets to the public. So many do believe that this was just an excuse to punish them. Much like when people will sometimes get the maximum punishment for minor crimes in order to send a message.  

From everything you've said on here it just sounds like you don't understand US law.

The Hogan case wasn't about defamation. They posted a sex tape of him without his permission. It's not legal to do that.

Look.... it's always possible that Vic gets the worlds dumbest jury and wins his case, but from a legal standpoint everything he's trying to argue is nonsense.

• Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Daos said:

From everything you've said on here it just sounds like you don't understand US law.

One of my dads drinking buddies is a district judge. So I more or less just picked  if up over years of casual conversation with him.  And yeah I think you're right about the Hogan case, which does show that I do make mistakes and my opinion on the Vic case isn't open and shut.  

As for the Jury they're hand picked by both attorney it isn't really random. The sample that they are given is random, but they chose from this large pool the Jury they want on their team. So it would make sense for Ron to pick Jury that are Young, Female, SJW prone or a combination of those. However Beard and Ron  can in turn ask the candidates questions to see if they have bias. An attorney can even remove another attorney's selection without cause; which is called a peremptory challenge.  This will continue until we end up with the 12 for the jury box. A judge though will rarely ever put up with a peremptory challenge if it is going to encroach upon the court-date; by law it can however lawyers try not to get on a Judges bad side by doing so, especially in a civil case.  A judge can also overturn a Jury verdict if they feel that the jury hasn't fully understood the evidence. This is known as the 13th juror, and is usually only used by the judge in criminal cases; and simply results in a hung jury. The judge can then call for a mistrial. The Judge then has two options, first is order a new trial, second is he says that in their opinion after witnessing the evidence provided that they feel there is no reason to waste the courts time; and can throw out the case. If this happens Vic has the option to appeal which then goes into appeals court; this is effectively a panel of Judges looking over Judge A's decision to throw out the plaintiffs case; as well if it should go to a higher court which would  usually only happens in a civil case when you're suing a large company like Vic vs Funimation, and never really a work place harassment charge.  

People often do things that are nonsense. I've had my neighbor call the cops on me twice because my dog barked at her when she trespassed on my lawn for her dog to go to the bathroom and she felt threatened. 

Would you prefer easily offended? I'm not the most up to date person on the kids trends these days, and didn't get the memo for the change. I also just find it easier to call a spade a spade. Much like how I've been called an incel a half dozen times in this thread. Also I was on lunch phone posting and had to hurry it along. Either way it's best to try and select the demographic that will most easily sympathies with your case, but at the same time needs to be covert enough to not be removed by another attorney. Really you want to ask questions that will trick the other attorney into picking someone that you would have picked yourself to get it stacked in your favor.  An issue that often pops up though is the sample of candidates in general. Conservatives are more likely to show up in samples due to voting registration. As well convicted criminals are barred from being on a jury, so a minor drug offense like possession of marijuana can keep you out of the jury box, even if it is legal to have now simply because they were tried before it's legality. This is why many cases of a trial by ones peers are often not really of who you may consider peers. 

However a Jury trial is more prone to take emotion and moral ethics into account, while a Judge is more prone to look at things from a black and white law text standing; which is more at where I'm looking at it from. Also it took me a while to realize that was a mic drop. At first I thought it was a naruto cosplay with a badly made kunai. 

21 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

One of my cowokers has a son who's in the navy, so I'm now qualified to operate a submarine from talking to him a couple times. 👍👍

And its name is the S.S. All Might.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

One of my cowokers has a son who's in the navy, so I'm now qualified to operate a submarine from talking to him a couple times. 👍👍

I'm sure you'd learn something about a sub if you talked to him and weren't using a passive aggressive allegory.  My brother is a Tax Accountant and he taught me about tax forms that I wouldn't have known had I not conversed with him about it. It's just who you learn things from can help. Had I said I learned law from talking to my dog, that would just be non-sense.  I'm not saying I'm a judge or a lawyer, but  I do seem to understand the justice system more than the bulk of this thread. I've even said though that my word isn't an open and shut case, just my opinion based on evidence and how I believe the case will progress; and I'm sure there is still information that none of us will be privy to until the case is well underway. 

• Like 1

Okay first part is Ron and Beard having a back and forth over who will be disposed first. Then Vic was to give his deposition on the 30th of may,  had to cancel.  Vic was asked for a confidentiality agreement which was denied. Ron Asks for a protective Order for his clients. Beard believes this is unnecessary and will not be used in good faith only to further clutter discovery. 

Evidence 

Ron brings up youtube personalities Yellow Flash and Nick Rekitea. Then I lost count of the number of time he says SJW in a serious document. I don't really know what he's going for here as far as evidence to support his defense though. I digress he begins some passive aggressive pats on the back to the youtuber Rekitea and his interviews with Beard. Okay so then Ron says that Beard organized an SJW riot for people to attack SJW. So I think he's calling the Youtubers and Beard SJW; while at the same time referring to SJW tactics of the people they'd be fighting? I can't watch the video in the pdf of what anyone said, but pretty much Ron is saying someone in the video said something. It railed up some people and they doxxed people on social media.  Then the rest of his defense seems to be a video and things that Rekitea said. Lastly he takes a jab at Beard showing that he sells fear the beard merch and is profiting off of this. 

I'm trying to think exactly what he's going for here from a defense standpoint. In short there is no evidence in this defense to aid their defense. It's just showing that Vic supporters exist and it's not just the kickvic side that are over reacting. In a defense a lot of small things can help form a big picture, but right now I'm just not seeing where he's fully going with that. I believe the Jab against Beard is to attack his credibility. This is an odd play. Usually you'd want to attack Vic's credibility, make Vic look like someone who isn't trustworthy. Kinda interested to see where they're going with that; or if the judge will demand relevance. As a defense he would have to explain how this pertains exactly to his clients. Either way the whole reason for a defense is to prove that your clients didn't do what the plaintiff said they did. I think this will be a time will tell kinda deal if more cards are played on the table. I enjoy 4D chess as much as the next guy, but I have no idea where he's going with this in terms of a defense. Still I will give them credit for at least putting something out there. Hopefully they pull something interesting out of this. 

All I see is Vic making up an excuse to bail out of the May 30 deposition, then trying to add on a confidentiality agreement last minute.

This isn't even a real case. It's just a harassment strategy to make the other side give in rather than deal with years of legal shenanigans.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Daos said:

All I see is Vic making up an excuse to bail out of the May 30 deposition, then trying to add on a confidentiality agreement last minute.

This isn't even a real case. It's just a harassment strategy to make the other side give in rather than deal with years of legal shenanigans.

I think his strategy with funi was maybe Sony will pay me some fuck you money to not go to court. The way freelance work goes I don't get what he planned to gain from it, but you don't hit any balls you don't swing at I suppose.  

I'll agree that I can see him suing Monica and the others as more of a revenge thing. Suing them won't really do anything for him. He'll still be black balled in the voice acting world. I can see it as a way to humiliate someone, which could be worth more to him than a financial gain. I'm not in his head so I can't say, but that is a possibility.  He could also just be trying to clear his name; however I don't think that this case will help with that. I mean it sure didn't help OJ. The mass majority have already made up their minds. Monica and the gang getting a guilty or not guilty isn't going to sway the masses.