UnevenEdge

Toonami Expands to 9PM on 9/29

QueenoftheDorks

1 hour ago, Zenigundam said:

This schedule is garbage juice. If I were running Toonami, it'd be 9pm DBZ Kai, 9:30 Gundam Unicorn, 10:00 Attack on Titan. 10:30 Outlaw Star, 11pm My Hero Academia, 11:30 Pop Team Epic, and... well who gives af about the rest

So, your schedule would have Pop Team Epic?

'Cause that show really fucking sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/11/2018 at 5:46 PM, 3ngag3 said:

Really? Kai leading off again? Right after you gave MHA the lead? Couldn't they put it BEFORE Super to compliment the Shippuden/Boruto combo?

Yeah, I think I'll be able to make it since I'm usually home anyway but it feels a little early at 9:30, especially since I don't really care about watching Kai yet again, but do really want to make sure I'm ready to watch MHA live. So I probably would have preferred them moving up the Naruto power hour by 30 minutes (which I'll admittedly probably be watching, though won't kill myself about needing to make it, unless Boruto totally sucks) and then having MHA at 10:30 before Super like before. That way all my must see stuff would still be together.

On 9/13/2018 at 5:47 AM, Sketch said:

All that said, they have WAY WAY WAAAAAAAY too many long running shounen going at the same time. There are 9 premieres and 7 of them will be long-running Shonen Jump anime. They gotta use some of that space for some more dang variety next year but as it stands the openings before 2AM will be few and far between next year. And there's definitely a part of me screaming "why did you get My Hero Academia, Black Clover and Boruto when you still had Shippuden, Dragon Ball Super, Hunter x Hunter and JoJo!?!?!" It's not like MHA and Black Clover have even done amazing and Shippuden is nowhere near over. When Pop Team Epic replaced DBZ Kai, I had a glimmer of hope for more variety and then Boruto is announced and I felt that hope be ripped from my hands. But despite that, they get an additional hour but of course, it's just filled with DBZ Kai and Samurai Jack.

I hope this is a successful experiment by whatever metrics they judge it with. They didn't have to expand Toonami again, they could have kept an hour of original comedies in prime time but instead, they chose to expand Toonami another full hour after just gaining 10pm . It's incredible that Toonami has gone from cancellation as 9PM-11PM Saturday block on CN to a 12AM-6AM block on Adult Swim down to a 12AM-3: 30AM one and all the way back up to 6 hours and now it finally returns to 9PM where it ended. Only now instead of being just 2 hours, it's a whopping 7, just 3 hours less a week thanToonami's 2 hour afternoon block. What I time to be alive?

Agreed, I didn't really expect this sheer amount of long running shounen all at once. It's really a bit much, especially when there's lots of other stuff still out there in the vane of shows that Toonami favors like the previously mentioned Yamato 2199 or Psycho Pass, etc. Maybe one of these kinds of shows will get to fill the Alternative slot at least...

And for a scary thought, the upcoming season of SAO is apparently gonna run a whopping 50 eps this time and will probably eventually take a slot so that'll be a pretty long run at once a week....

Right?! It's almost crazy. I never would have expected them to expand again right after somehow taking the 10:00-11:00 hour and doing the big rearrange with MHA moving up to before Super. Like you said, it's nuts to think that not too long ago it had gotten shaved down such a large amount to just 12:00-3:30 and now it's expanded so much again and even moved up multiple times.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:29 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

I think some of the reruns actually increase the variety of the night as a whole, as there's nothing else on the lineup like Lupin or Jack, but I still want Gundam to make its triumphant return. Either that, or they take a chance with something like Star Blazers 2199. While I realize FLCL Alternative is their biggest investment, once it's out of premieres, and simultaneously Bebop ends, would 2 AM, pushing what's left of OPM and Lupin at that point back to their old timeslots, really be all that DAMN BAD for a rerun? I mean, once it's over, you could just switch back to Progressive's 3rd run, while something FRESH and different gets 11:30, either the return of Gundam or SB2199.

DeMarco has said in the past that he wanted to air the Star Blazers remake, so it's kind of an outlier that it hasn't happened yet. And for it to show up at 11:30 leading-in to AOT would be decent move, especially if replacing the other space opera on the schedule, Cowboy Bebop. 

Yeah, I think right now the reruns that close out the block definitely increase the variety, even if they are just repeats. Especially with all of the long running shounen currently running on the other end of the block.

I'm with you, I need some Gundam back on the lineup. Though I feel like at this point they're probably going to wait for the next new installment to do so, since I'm not really expecting one of them to re-take one of the super late night repeat slots.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 3

I'm not totally convinced that Toonami should air another Gundam show. Both Unicorn and IBO were shrugged off by the Toonami audience; the former due to being obtuse and requiring knowledge of other Gundam shows to fully appreciate, and the latter because... well, it wasn't that good. And what is available that DeMarco might want to air? Thunderbolt, maybe? They would probably choose a full-length show over that one. There's also Reconguista in G, although that one seems to be polarizing, thanks to a nigh-incomprehensible plot.

At this point, the only Gundam show I would accept them airing is G, and only because that one has a different tone than the others I think I'd like better. But what I really want Toonami to do is just air any original show that has no connections to anything they've aired before, because the block is in desperate need of that.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I'd take them airing 00, just so they can air the stuff SyFy cut out and to show those who haven't seen it yet that there's a better version of Gundam Wing out there.

I’m down with 00. The only classic Gundam I’d like to see is G Gundam or 0080. I think the year long length of most Gundam is a bit problematic though. People lose interest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

I’m down with 00. The only classic Gundam I’d like to see is G Gundam or 0080. I think the year long length of most Gundam is a bit problematic though. People lose interest.

None of those suggestions make sense. First of all, 00 shown on Sci-Fi, G shown on Toonami, 0080 shown on TMR and Adult Swim Action. First things first, replay Gundam Unicorn because it clearly beats the crap out of the current Toonami lineup, and it's only like an 8 out of 10 type anime because it borrowed those lame emo elements from Wing at points, which is weird for a UC series, and if an older Gundam were to air, it should be Zeta Gundam, which has never been seen before on American TV, but we all know they would never play anything from the 80s before ever again because these Generation Z viewers don't even like 90s anime, let alone a series from back then. Young anime fans have garbage taste they think fng Dragon Ball Super is good.

Noticed this about the schedule for 9/29, 10/6, and 10/13:

9 PM - Rerun
9:30 - Network Premiere
10 PM - Network Premiere
10:30 - Dub Premiere
11 PM - Dub Premiere
11:30 - World Premiere (?)
12 AM - Dub Premiere
12:30 - Dub Premiere
1 AM - Network Premiere
1:30 - Dub Premiere
2 AM-4 AM - Reruns

Does FLCL Alternative still count as a world premiere anymore since the movie did screen in Japan??

• Like 1

Why are they bringing Dragon Ball Z Kai back?  That's about the laziest, most uncreative thing they could do.  You start Toonami early... with a rerun?

So My Hero Academia no longer leads off the block.  That didn't last long.  Guess it didn't do well enough?

They moved Shippuden up.  THEY MOVED SHIPPUDEN UP.  What the fuck?!  And yes I already knew that Boruto was coming, but that doesn't make this any better.  Just let it die already.  At least we don't have to care about Boruto spoiling Naruto since the story went to complete shit anyway and the ending is a joke, by all accounts.  Naruto has long, long wore out its welcome.  We've gone way past the point of the good part, to the story taking a terrible direction, to mediocre, to some good arcs, but mostly it's all just terrible and we're all just watching to see how bad it will get and if it will live up to the stories.  Basically it's a train wreck.  But that isn't much of a consolation!

I may be wrong, but it's not that Super was moved back, just that more shows are being added in front of it?  But yeah, they've actually gotten desperate enough to rerun Kai, while Super is still on, though not putting them together, for whatever reason.  Remember that time Demarco said Toonami doesn't need Dragon Ball to fan asking them why they hadn't picked it up?  Lololololo.  Funny how his tune changes once it's available, and now they're leaning on it hard, their biggest crutch ever.

Hunter x Hunter demoted to the final premiere on the block, after Black Clover! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Does me no good though, since I'm watching One-Punch Man.  At least I guess if that ends and they replace it with something that's run 80 billion times or something I don't care to watch again, I could leave the block early and not have to kill time while Hunter x Hunter is on.

Cowboy Bebop needs to be Old Yeller'd.

They added Samurai Jack... another rerun.  Why?

So, the block is longer than ever, but the new additions are all reruns, and the cancer known as Boruto.  Talk about a waste!  You could use those slots to premiere some seasonal shows, or hell, another long-runner, one you haven't run before, if you absolutely have to have that fucking many.  All these extra timeslots added, but not really anything opened up to add more shows, since they stocked them with long-runners and reruns they probably won't cut off before they finish.  And Al called this Toonami on Adult Swim's second heyday?  What happened to quality over quantity?

52 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Why are they bringing Dragon Ball Z Kai back?  That's about the laziest, most uncreative thing they could do.  You start Toonami early... with a rerun?

So My Hero Academia no longer leads off the block.  That didn't last long.  Guess it didn't do well enough?

Dragon Ball Super is the highest rated show on Toonami. Dragon Ball Z Kai is not a bad lead in for the shows that air before it. it shouldn't do worse than Rick and Morty or The Cleveland Show did on saturdays. it replaces those shows. consider Toonami to have two of its own lead ins. it's quite a logical show order. the comedy lead in to Toonami is gonna be Home Movies and Family Guy. one Family Guy. that tells me at least 8:30 pm is in the cards, with quite possibly all of saturday being the goal. at any rate, they're playing the long game with Kai, showing an intention to keep Toonami this long and early.

My Hero Academia's performance at 10 was likely never a factor.

and Samurai Jack seasons 1-4 are on Blu-ray. they're airing the remastered tapes.

Edited by korosu

On 9/18/2018 at 1:24 AM, ben0119 said:

They moved Shippuden up.  THEY MOVED SHIPPUDEN UP.  What the fuck?!  And yes I already knew that Boruto was coming, but that doesn't make this any better.  Just let it die already.  At least we don't have to care about Boruto spoiling Naruto since the story went to complete shit anyway and the ending is a joke, by all accounts.  Naruto has long, long wore out its welcome.  We've gone way past the point of the good part, to the story taking a terrible direction, to mediocre, to some good arcs, but mostly it's all just terrible and we're all just watching to see how bad it will get and if it will live up to the stories.  Basically it's a train wreck.  But that isn't much of a consolation!

I may be wrong, but it's not that Super was moved back, just that more shows are being added in front of it?  But yeah, they've actually gotten desperate enough to rerun Kai, while Super is still on, though not putting them together, for whatever reason.  Remember that time Demarco said Toonami doesn't need Dragon Ball to fan asking them why they hadn't picked it up?  Lololololo.  Funny how his tune changes once it's available, and now they're leaning on it hard, their biggest crutch ever.

Hunter x Hunter demoted to the final premiere on the block, after Black Clover! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Does me no good though, since I'm watching One-Punch Man.  At least I guess if that ends and they replace it with something that's run 80 billion times or something I don't care to watch again, I could leave the block early and not have to kill time while Hunter x Hunter is on.

Cowboy Bebop needs to be Old Yeller'd.

So, the block is longer than ever, but the new additions are all reruns, and the cancer known as Boruto.  Talk about a waste!  You could use those slots to premiere some seasonal shows, or hell, another long-runner, one you haven't run before, if you absolutely have to have that fucking many.  All these extra timeslots added, but not really anything opened up to add more shows, since they stocked them with long-runners and reruns they probably won't cut off before they finish.  And Al called this Toonami on Adult Swim's second heyday?  What happened to quality over quantity?

9pm is a garbage time slot that is best left to a rerun. Though IMO they could have just started with the Naruto hour rather than bring in DBZ Kai. Toss Clover up earlier and stick something short at 1am or 1:30am.

That said, they have 9 premieres even without using 9pm or 2am for a premiere. That’s plenty. It’s just too bad 7 out of 9 are 60+ episode series. I figure maintaining more than two rotating slots has become problematic as the hours have expanded but they should be able to maintain 3, especially since one is an original series that was planned for two years.

Yeah, 9 PM on Saturday night is crap, especially up against college football. Actually, when AOT S3 gets finished, it will be an 8th 60+-episode series. MHA will also eventually hit 60 but it hasn't gotten there yet. Until Season 4 is announced of either, AOT and MHA will be roughly the same length.

Aside from AOT, HxH will free up a timeslot at some point next summer. Whatever replaces FLCL Alternative is pivotal. I'm also hoping FLCL replaces OPM with a timeslot that rotates between all 3 series in what's left of 2018 and all of 2019 at that point (2 AM). I understand FLCL Progressive getting a rerun at 11:30, but I wouldn't understand FLCL Alternative getting one. Even Space Dandy was cast into a later slot when it completely ran out of premieres.

Gundam: Thunderbolt would be a nice replacement for FLCL Alternative; with 8 episodes, it would end before the end of 2018. With no marathon on the weekend before Halloween (or none on the one before Thanksgiving), that would give it at 11:30 (or Midnight if AOT moves up) on 10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, (11/24 if 10/27 used for marathon), 12/1, 12/8, and 12/15. The only problem is that it has a slightly unusual runtime of 18 minutes, which would be ideal for a longer interstitial, but with normally-OP-free Shippuden now at 10 PM, it probably wouldn't be needed. Elsewhere in the Gundam multiverse, I've heard some pretty good things about Reconquista in G, but I don't know if it has a dub.

Back on the note of Shippuden, its 10 PM timeslot isn't just a benefit for it, but also likely for artists who want to get their animated music videos on the Better Cartoon Show. Now they've got a better regular timeslot and therefore better exposure. Maybe Gorillaz' new video will make an appearance?

• Like 1

It never actually aired on TV in Japan; it's an Original Net Anime, according to Anime News Network.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=17825

This would actually be an interesting phenomenon if it DID happen, because I don't believe anything that didn't have either a Japanese TV or theatrical run other than U.S. originals  (e.g.: IGPX; Samurai Jack) have ever aired on Toonami.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

9pm is a garbage time slot that is best left to a rerun. Though IMO they could have just started with the Naruto hour rather than bring in DBZ Kai. Toss Clover up earlier and stick something short at 1am or 1:30am.

That said, they have 9 premieres even without using 9pm or 2am for a premiere. That’s plenty. It’s just too bad 7 out of 9 are 60+ episode series. I figure maintaining more than two rotating slots has become problematic as the hours have expanded but they should be able to maintain 3, especially since one is an original series that was planned for two years.

Throw Shippuden there then, like you said, since it's a garbage show.  Then have Boruto, MHA, DBS, the rest of the block follows.  There's no need for Kai.  I wouldn't mind Black Clover getting moved up, though. :)

Yep they need at least 3 or 4 slots for rotating in finite series.  We're barely going to be able to get any new shows now!  The Vindication is definitely down an engine!  If no new shows are going to show up on the beginning or end of the block, I'm not sure what the point of this is?  I mean, it's nice that the era of one and done wam bam thankyou ma'am is over, and the reruns aren't just the same ole ASA dead horses, but still, they've got way too many long-runners.  But they'll probably catch up to MHA, JoJo, and Black Clover eventually, right?  So those could effectively be seasonal, given enough time?

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2018 at 4:17 AM, korosu said:

Dragon Ball Super is the highest rated show on Toonami. Dragon Ball Z Kai is not a bad lead in for the shows that air before it. it shouldn't do worse than Rick and Morty or The Cleveland Show did on saturdays. it replaces those shows. consider Toonami to have two of its own lead ins. it's quite a logical show order. the comedy lead in to Toonami is gonna be Home Movies and Family Guy. one Family Guy. that tells me at least 8:30 pm is in the cards, with quite possibly all of saturday being the goal. at any rate, they're playing the long game with Kai, showing an intention to keep Toonami this long and early.

My Hero Academia's performance at 10 was likely never a factor.

and Samurai Jack seasons 1-4 are on Blu-ray. they're airing the remastered tapes.

If that is the case I hope they do something more productive with the time than they are now.  If there is indeed a method to the madness, I hope the cloud of madness clears to reveal the method soon.

Oh well that's cool.  Maybe I'll watch it then.  Been years since I saw the old episodes.  Probably won't watch it live though.

19 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Throw Shippuden there then, like you said, since it's a garbage show.  Then have Boruto, MHA, DBS, the rest of the block follows.  There's no need for Kai.  I wouldn't mind Black Clover getting moved up, though. :)

Yep they need at least 3 or 4 slots for rotating in finite series.  We're barely going to be able to get any new shows now!  The Vindication is definitely down an engine!  If no new shows are going to show up on the beginning or end of the block, I'm not sure what the point of this is?  I mean, it's nice that the era of one and done wam bam thankyou ma'am is over, and the reruns aren't just the same ole ASA dead horses, but still, they've got way too many long-runners.  But they'll probably catch up to MHA, JoJo, and Black Clover eventually, right?  So those could effectively be seasonal, given enough time?

9 premieres isn’t down an engine. It’s more like adding engines. 🤨

Honestly 9-11:30 being long series is fine, it makes sense to put those there. The current frustration is that 12:30-2am is also long series and 11:30-12:30 is the only hour for experimentation. Hopefully they are creative filling that hour next year, don’t replace HxH with another long series and maybe use 2am for obscure premieres in the meantime.

• Like 1