UnevenEdge

Toonami Expands to 9PM on 9/29

QueenoftheDorks

While this does seem to be a good thing for Toonami, I have to admit that I'm a bit concerned as to whether the block can sustain itself being as long as it will be.  I mean, while DBZ Kai may have been one of Toonami's highest rated shows, they're still leading off with a rerun.

What I can say, though, is that I'm actually glad Shippuden is back at the front of the block.  It always felt odd having it at the end of the block.  It felt out of place there.

• Like 2

PROS

LONGER BLOCK YEEEAH BABY!!!!

I can skip 9 because it's a Kai rerun, and I follow the simuldub of MHA already, so I will see all the episodes way before they air on Toonami. And I couldn't care FUCKIN LESS of anything in the Narutoverse so I can skip those too.  This is all dependent as long as these shows are in these timeslots, so it could always change.

CONS

Even less of a chance I'll be able to join you guys at the front of the block every week. Weekends are valuable for everyone, and the reason I can catch it at the beginning at all, and have for years, is because all my daily routines are finished by 10 PM. 

MHA even earlier. I still love it to death and would love any chance to support its run on TV, but with this timeslot is so early I will feel bad missing it.

I fuckin hate the Narutoverse, as I said, and the fact that it's once again becoming the new darling for Toonami is predictable but frustrating.

Toonami taking over Adult Swim on weekends and now the weeknights too, further shows how little trust the network has on their sister network.

Edited by elfie
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 3ngag3 said:

Really? Kai leading off again? Right after you gave MHA the lead? Couldn't they put it BEFORE Super to compliment the Shippuden/Boruto combo?

Casual viewers will be there early at 9 PM to watch DBZ, rerun or not, whereas MHA doesn't that kind of drawing power.

Most of these changes actually make sense to do (putting strong franchises like DB and Naruto up front to boost primetime, sandwiching MHA between them to keep that show strong, keeping Super and Titan in the later, stronger hours to hopefully keep people watching later in the block, etc.), it's just shocking for them to do it all at once.

Assorted thoughts:

• Woo-hoo, an excuse to record less! xD
  • Say what you will, but I like the Naruto power hour going on in the front.
  • The Chimera Ant arc is so deep and complex, it's hanging back with the reruns. Also, I feel it'll be a good Black Clover palate-cleanser for those who haven't dropped BC and have yet to let the series grow on them.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, elfie said:

- .... why the hell r they switching the airtimes of Hunter x Hunter and Black Clover??  I don't see any reason for this.

Have you not noticed how often BC beats HxH in the overall ratings? Even if that isn't the reason, it's enough to help me understand.

(And please quit spelling "are" as "r". It's not cute, and it's not funny.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PokeNirvash said:

Have you not noticed how often BC beats HxH in the overall ratings? Even if that isn't the reason, it's enough to help me understand.

U R 2 QT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hmmm.

Can't say if this is a good thing or not.

I don't think Boruto is going to do well at all. It is pretty much fanfic Naruto at best.

AoT should be switched with FLCL. Really, people tune in to Super, FLCL won't do well.

Nice to see BC moving up. It complements HxH well.

Holy shit.

So they finally went out and negotiated for a Kai rerun, eh? And they took the fans' advice (but not mine) and moved Shippuden early. Personally, I'd rather have them just get that show over with, move it to weekdays, and premiere as many episodes as it fiscally makes sense to every week. Anything to make it go by faster, although you know they're doing this just so they can keep pimping one of the long-runners. And then you have Samurai Jack making a rather pointless return at the ass-end of the block. We could get reruns of the new FLCL seasons after it finishes, although I think they'd be better off in a slightly earlier slot. Either way, this is smiles all around. :RoboSurprise:

But to get to the biggest point I want to make... I think the block is starting too early now. Anything earlier than 11 p.m. was already pushing it, and I was hoping 10:00 would be the limit. While it's nice to have even more anime than ever before airing on Saturdays, I'd much rather be out and about and doing stuff with friends and/or family in the evening hours, and then get back by some point before midnight so I don't miss much. At this point, I'll probably DVR My Hero Academia and watch it at 11 or so (if at all) before joining the block live.

At least this will do a tiny bit to prevent people from saying the ratings suck and Toonami will be cancelled soon.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This is absurd, but nice.

The good news is that them kiddos get their anime exposure (this is as close to the old Saturday block time-wise as your gonna get). It is too much, but being I work Saturday nights and just DVR the 4 or 5 shows I do watch, this is pretty dope.

Edited by MasqueradeOverture

8 hours ago, elfie said:

PROS

LONGER BLOCK YEEEAH BABY!!!!

I can skip 9 because it's a Kai rerun, and I follow the simuldub of MHA already, so I will see all the episodes way before they air on Toonami. And I couldn't care FUCKIN LESS of anything in the Narutoverse so I can skip those too.  This is all dependent as long as these shows are in these timeslots, so it could always change.

CONS

Even less of a chance I'll be able to join you guys at the front of the block every week. Weekends are valuable for everyone, and the reason I can catch it at the beginning at all, and have for years, is because all my daily routines are finished by 10 PM. 

MHA even earlier. I still love it to death and would love any chance to support its run on TV, but with this timeslot is so early I will feel bad missing it.

I fuckin hate the Narutoverse, as I said, and the fact that it's once again becoming the new darling for Toonami is predictable but frustrating.

Toonami taking over Adult Swim on weekends and now the weeknights too, further shows how little trust the network has on their sister network.

What I'm about to say is not a complaint, but it is something to note.

I was having difficulty as it was being in here for MHA at 10PM and was debating dropping it from my discussion thread list. To move it to 9:30PM made it inevitable. Again, this is not a complaint. It's acceptance. If they're deciding on starting an hour earlier, they have to have shows for that hour. Just how it works. Where I differ from Elfie, though, is that I need to restate the first two sentences in this paragraph. This time from my perspective.

I was having difficulty as it was being in here for MHA at 7PM and was debating dropping it from my discussion thread list. To move it to 6:30PM made it inevitable. For those who don't know or forgot, I live on the west coast watching the east coast feed. And it's not like I can never make it by 6:30, but I'd be pushing things too much in order to make it. I already have been to make it by 7PM. Hence why I debated.

That being said, the other 5 shows I'll remain being involved in the discussion thread I like that they're all together now instead of separated by shows I'm not interested in. Which won't last long since FLCL will be on episode 4 by then. Three weeks of it is cool enough.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Daos said:

How many more episodes of Naruto are left anyway? Infinity?

Episode 218 airs this weekend, and there are exactly 500 Shippudens in total. You can do basic math, but if you'd rather I get to the point, we have... 282 left. With holiday weekends factored in, there's about six years to go.

12 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

No because, as you should know by now, I fuckin hate it and stopped watching it past Episode 25!

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, mochi said:

Also,

**see's that Boruto is joining the block that week**

tenor.gif?itemid=9335639

this could be fun

Reveal hidden contents

and by that I mean fun to hate

... you act like this is new news and that you didn't see the livestream Toonami held during SDCC on its panel.  That's where they first announced it. It was coincidentally 5 minutes before the block started! It's the reason I got banned from the Toonami Discord for a day!

Edited by elfie

10 hours ago, mochi said:

can we fucking discuss that Super of all shows keeps getting pushed back?

I never thought I'd see the day where Dragon Ball Super is the 5th show on the lineup, and the 11:30 show, Toonami's earliest limit in its first heyday on Adult Swim, the 6th show deep, while it's showing a World Premiere. Also interesting, that for the first time since the last time Kai was the first show on the lineup, the first show won't be receiving Topical promos. MHA will likely continue to get those at 9:30, Boruto at 10:30, and then both shows of the 11 PM hour, plus AOT at midnight.

I guess that means all that leads-in to Toonami now is Family Guy, and hopefully it plus the evergreen early Kai shores up the ratings enough to drive the rest of the block, with the Boruto/Super hour providing a likely mid-block windfall. There are even some weeks that the current arc of Naruto: Shippuden might beat MHA, though I believe its days are numbered before we go back into Filler Hell. At least this time the episodes appear to be a seafaring adventure that resembles--One Piece, of all things. On that note, only tangentially related to Toonami, the One Piece Sails On Twitter discussion will likely move to the earliest it's ever been--8 PM.

I think now there's no question that we're in Toonami on [as]'s 2nd heyday, and what's even more insane is we will probably actually get an 8-hour block on November 3rd, transition from DST day. With the block now beginning at 9 PM, I'd say Miyazaki movies (supplied by gkids) are no longer off the table. What if, on that night only, Toonami kicked off with a Miyazaki movie from 9-11:30 or 12, then went into normal programming beginning either with Boruto at 11:30 ("10:30 PM") or Dragon Ball Super at midnight ("11 PM")??? Everything else would technically air an hour later until 2 AM, but there would be enough time since the 2 AM hour doubles.

9 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

THE RATINGS ARE RIGHT FUCKING THERE IN THE RATINGS THREAD WITH EVERY OTHER SHOW YOU CARE ABOUT, LIKE SHIT YOU CAN JUST IGNORE THEM AS IF THEY NEVER EVEN EXISTED IN THE FIRST PLACE!

And I DO ignore them on that thread too, which is the REASON I never know about its ratings.

Awful, I'll only be watching Kai, MHA, AoT, will give Naruto a shot, but if I haven't warmed up to it for the past 13 years, I doubt Shippuden being on earlier and a new Naruto series will change that. And Super has gone to hell.

They have Gundam Unicorn, Pop Team Epic, and Outlaw Star, but they prefer their generic shonen. Those can be watched 100 times before I can stomach the likes of a single episode of JoJo or Black Clover.

On 9/11/2018 at 9:55 PM, mochi said:

can we fucking discuss that Super of all shows keeps getting pushed back?

I figure the logic to that is 11pm generally does much better than 9pm on Adult Swim. Before Toonami started later and just had a comedy lead-in but now it has to build it's own crescendo from 9pm-11pm before the inevitable decline as people go to bed.

People are used to the idea that prime time is a great place to air shows but that's not true for cable because of network competition and sports. DBZ Kai and My Hero Academia are going to get hammered by College Football but without DBS in those crosshairs they can do well at 11pm and hopefully keep people until the premieres end at 2am.

Another way of looking at it is this: how can you expect people to stay for even 2 hours of a 7 hour block if you put the one show they care about at the very start? If they put Super at 9pm it would do worse than if it was at 10:30 or 11pm and that would cause Toonami to immediately bleed viewers by 9:30. That could very easily make this whole 7 hour block a wash. Super isn't even likely to win the 9pm time slot with key demos but it's definitely gonna win at 11pm.

• Like 3

On 9/11/2018 at 5:51 PM, MasterMoltar said:

Casual viewers will be there early at 9 PM to watch DBZ, rerun or not, whereas MHA doesn't that kind of drawing power.

Most of these changes actually make sense to do (putting strong franchises like DB and Naruto up front to boost primetime, sandwiching MHA between them to keep that show strong, keeping Super and Titan in the later, stronger hours to hopefully keep people watching later in the block, etc.), it's just shocking for them to do it all at once.

Yeah those are a lot of big changes to do all at once but the majority of them do make sense.

They gradually build to DBS with DBZ Kai reruns, My Hero Academia, Shippuden and Boruto. Shippuden is always a draw so that hour is probably gonna do alright and MHA gets the benefit of a Kai lead though it'll be hard pressed to do well at 9:30PM.

They smartly have FLCL the biggest investment, right after Dragon Ball Super. Titan has already proven it's not terrific at holding DBS (it's not terrible though) so it's not a bad idea to try this.

I haven't watched much of Black Clover and I have no investment in it but it has edged out HxH and even JoJo a few times lately so it's promotion isn't unwarranted. HxH ends next July and it's unlikely to gain new viewers 2 years into it's run so moving it back to 1:30AM where it has aired before isn't so bad. The only thing that stings is the fact that it is the last premiere of the night. It's been years since 1:30AM was the last premiere of the night though.

I think they'll initially rerun Jack's 5th at 3:30AM but it'd be great if they ran the whole series with the HD remaster.

Five rerun slots is a lot, especially the four in the back, but 2AM premieres don't seem sensible when the block starts at 9PM and already has 9 premieres.

This is way too much Toonami for me to consider watching even if I was home to do so but as it stands I won't be home for the west coast airing until Boruto or Super and I have no reason to DVR anything before Boruto but I might DVR MHA to rewatch when Clover is on. I wouldn't mind if comedy took the 3AM hour if they would do something interesting with it. The current post-Toonami schedule of The Boondocks, Mike Tyson Mysteries and an hour of Home Movies is a pretty good start.

I expect the 8pm hour will just be back to back Family Guy because believe it or not it's TV-14 so it can air at 8pm. If that's an hour of Family Guy then Toonami really shouldn't bother claiming 8pm until the day comes when Adult Swim no longer has Family Guy. Despite King of the Hill and Cleveland Show leaving I don't foresee Family Guy leaving any time soon. I think it's renewed out to 2020 or 2022.

All that said, they have WAY WAY WAAAAAAAY too many long running shounen going at the same time. There are 9 premieres and 7 of them will be long-running Shonen Jump anime. They gotta use some of that space for some more dang variety next year but as it stands the openings before 2AM will be few and far between next year. And there's definitely a part of me screaming "why did you get My Hero Academia, Black Clover and Boruto when you still had Shippuden, Dragon Ball Super, Hunter x Hunter and JoJo!?!?!" It's not like MHA and Black Clover have even done amazing and Shippuden is nowhere near over. When Pop Team Epic replaced DBZ Kai, I had a glimmer of hope for more variety and then Boruto is announced and I felt that hope be ripped from my hands. But despite that, they get an additional hour but of course, it's just filled with DBZ Kai and Samurai Jack.

Maybe DBZ Kai is just a placeholder while they still have some rights to air the Buu saga but chances are they renegotiated the contract and spent money to bring back Kai. They probably could have lead with MHA or Shippuden just fine as long as they kept their expectations for the first hour in check. I don't think they should have more than 9 premieres a night, that's a huge amount. However, if only 2 of those are finite premieres then maybe they could stand to get a really cheap show for variety sake. Most of the variety here is in the reruns after 2AM and that's a waste. The whole line-up looks like a bloated mess but I gotta admit I'm impressed that franchise sequels aside there are no doubled up shows in this line-up. Compare that to pretty much any cable channel for 7 hours including Adult Swim on weekdays and Sunday and that's incredible.

I hope this is a successful experiment by whatever metrics they judge it with. They didn't have to expand Toonami again, they could have kept an hour of original comedies in prime time but instead, they chose to expand Toonami another full hour after just gaining 10pm . It's incredible that Toonami has gone from cancellation as 9PM-11PM Saturday block on CN to a 12AM-6AM block on Adult Swim down to a 12AM-3: 30AM one and all the way back up to 6 hours and now it finally returns to 9PM where it ended. Only now instead of being just 2 hours, it's a whopping 7, just 3 hours less a week thanToonami's 2 hour afternoon block. What I time to be alive?

Final thought, those line-up promos are gonna be long and they'll be naming off shows in breakneck speed. Good luck with that and all those bumpers Toonami crew.

• Like 2

My thoughts on the latest lineup promo: at some point in the 2014 lineup, they actually did a 30-second abridged one that just glossed over all the reruns. We could expect them to do something similar, I think, actually naming off every show from 9 PM-2 AM, and then 2 AM-4 AM just gets "and two more hours of great classic shows closes out the night" while brief clips from One-Punch Man, Lupin the 3rd, Cowboy Bebop, and Samurai Jack flash on the screen.

I think some of the reruns actually increase the variety of the night as a whole, as there's nothing else on the lineup like Lupin or Jack, but I still want Gundam to make its triumphant return. Either that, or they take a chance with something like Star Blazers 2199. While I realize FLCL Alternative is their biggest investment, once it's out of premieres, and simultaneously Bebop ends, would 2 AM, pushing what's left of OPM and Lupin at that point back to their old timeslots, really be all that DAMN BAD for a rerun? I mean, once it's over, you could just switch back to Progressive's 3rd run, while something FRESH and different gets 11:30, either the return of Gundam or SB2199.

DeMarco has said in the past that he wanted to air the Star Blazers remake, so it's kind of an outlier that it hasn't happened yet. And for it to show up at 11:30 leading-in to AOT would be decent move, especially if replacing the other space opera on the schedule, Cowboy Bebop. 

• Like 1

are we getting 8:30 on October 20th?

8 is Home Movies and 8:30 is Family Guy (i'm assuming they're gonna be airing 3 Family Guys on fridays now)

5 is Venture Bros.
710 airs 10/13, the same week FLCL Alternative and Bebop end.

i figure the 8 pm Home Movies will end up being paired with the 5:30 am one

Edited by korosu
  • Confused 1

Hmm, not so sure how great a move it is to suddenly move Shippuden so far up in the lineup, but any lineup without Pop Team Epic in it is an improvement in my book. Are we seriously not even halfway through Shippuden though? 16x16_smiley-surprised.gif My gawds! Should be really interesting to see how well, or not, it does that much earlier in the night in the ratings, and how well Boruto can do as well. Gotta say I'm not very optimistic about its ability to remain there very long.

I like that they're sandwiching Alternative between Super and AoT though. That definitely should give it the best chance to catch as many eyeballs as possible there, so I take that as a hopeful sign. I was disappointed by Progressive, but the first episode of Alternative impressed me, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it continues to do so.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2018 at 9:50 AM, elfie said:

... you act like this is new news and that you didn't see the livestream Toonami held during SDCC on its panel.  That's where they first announced it. It was coincidentally 5 minutes before the block started! It's the reason I got banned from the Toonami Discord for a day!

oh I knew it was coming Elfie I'm just saying

tumblr_onqq8w8Axq1qi7kdro1_r1_500.gif

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Zenigundam said:

Awful, I'll only be watching Kai, MHA, AoT, will give Naruto a shot, but if I haven't warmed up to it for the past 13 years, I doubt Shippuden being on earlier and a new Naruto series will change that. And Super has gone to hell.

They have Gundam Unicorn, Pop Team Epic, and Outlaw Star, but they prefer their generic shonen. Those can be watched 100 times before I can stomach the likes of a single episode of JoJo or Black Clover.

You actually like Pop Team Epic?

Lol

On 9/12/2018 at 5:58 AM, Blatch said:

Episode 218 airs this weekend, and there are exactly 500 Shippudens in total. You can do basic math, but if you'd rather I get to the point, we have... 282 left. With holiday weekends factored in, there's about six years to go.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Zenigundam said:

This schedule is garbage juice. If I were running Toonami, it'd be 9pm DBZ Kai, 9:30 Gundam Unicorn, 10:00 Attack on Titan. 10:30 Outlaw Star, 11pm My Hero Academia, 11:30 Pop Team Epic, and... well who gives af about the rest

Gundam Unicorn at 9:30 would get like 300,000 viewers IF THAT and probably lose 200,000 or more from DBZ.

• Thanks 1