UnevenEdge

Toonami Expands to 9PM on 9/29

QueenoftheDorks

4 hours ago, Blatch said:

You know... if Toonami is going to air another mecha series, it needs to be Planet With.

People have been talking about this show as if it were the messiah. I'm only four episodes in, but I believe the hype. :o

Problem: no dub. If it DOES eventually get one, I guess I could see us having it in the latter half of the block next year.

I think HxH may eventually become seasonal like AOT and MHA. It will be interesting to see what happens with the manga, if it ever goes off hiatus long enough for Madhouse to try to adapt some more material as anime. Think InuYasha: The Final Act, except seasonal.

The thing is, since it's now the latest premiere of the night, I don't think there's really that much chance it will happen. When it was in the early reaches of the block and kicking butt in the ratings, I would say it had a chance, but now, I'd say it's iffy at best.

It would be amazing if the 2:30 AM rerun of Lupin the 3rd Part 4 actually got replaced by Part 5 in January, but that likely can't happen without some sort of shift in the schedule. I want to believe Boruto isn't the last new show from Toonami this year and they have one more trick left up their sleeve to replace FLCL Alternative, but I'd say that might be doubtful, unless we lose Bebop at the same time, since FLCL3 would obviously get a rerun in a later timeslot.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sketch said:

9 premieres isn’t down an engine. It’s more like adding engines. 🤨

Honestly 9-11:30 being long series is fine, it makes sense to put those there. The current frustration is that 12:30-2am is also long series and 11:30-12:30 is the only hour for experimentation. Hopefully they are creative filling that hour next year, don’t replace HxH with another long series and maybe use 2am for obscure premieres in the meantime.

Yes there, the lead-ins, the anchors, but not all night!  Hopefully, because there's way too many long-runners now, and barely anywhere to put new finite shows.  Yes, they better not replace HxH with another long-runner.  What was the last "new" thing at 2am?  Outlaw Star?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Yes there, the lead-ins, the anchors, but not all night!  Hopefully, because there's way too many long-runners now, and barely anywhere to put new finite shows.  Yes, they better not replace HxH with another long-runner.  What was the last "new" thing at 2am?  Outlaw Star?

Technically Naruto Shippuden at 2am but for 2:30 (which may as well be 2am now) it was the return run of Outlaw Star. Before that, Lupin was at 1:30.

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Technically Naruto Shippuden at 2am but for 2:30 (which may as well be 2am now) it was the return run of Outlaw Star. Before that, Lupin was at 1:30.

So the premieres have actually extended later.  Outlaw Star was still replaced by a rerun rerun, though.  May be a while before we see another new or new-ish show there again.

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

So the premieres have actually extended later.  Outlaw Star was still replaced by a rerun rerun, though.  May be a while before we see another new or new-ish show there again.

Well yeah, there used to be 3am premieres when Toonami ran 11:30-6am in 2014. It was the only way to have 7-8 premieres when they started late. They stopped premieres for 3am in 2015 when they shrank to 6 premieres and one rerun. One Piece ran at 2:30am from 2015 till 2017, then Shippuden was at 2:30am briefly. They stopped doing 2:30am premieres in 2017 when they re-expanded to 11pm (after briefly taking it away) by shifting the premieres a half hour earlier and adding a rerun of AoT season 2 at 3am. That was around when GITS was replaced by Outlaw Star and Bebop came back in HD for a full run. If you consider Outlaw Star a premiere then they kept up 2:30am premieres until OS ended earlier this year. At that point Toonami had 10:30pm for several months. Now that they’ve pushed Shippuden to 10pm and start at 9pm, they have nothing premiering at 2am but they have the most premieres they’ve ever had at one time.

2am premieres made sense when Toonami started after 11pm much less midnight but now 2am is better suited for reruns if for no other reason than 2am being 5 hours into the block and that’s a whole lot to sit through to get to the 2am show. That said, because they filled up 3.5 hours with long runners, perhaps a 2am premiere isn’t so unreasonable if it’s a cheap show. Or they could put something after JoJo and bump HxH or Clover to 2am like Shippuden used to be. 10 premieres is a heck of a lot though.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

9 premieres isn’t down an engine. It’s more like adding engines. 🤨

Honestly 9-11:30 being long series is fine, it makes sense to put those there. The current frustration is that 12:30-2am is also long series and 11:30-12:30 is the only hour for experimentation. Hopefully they are creative filling that hour next year, don’t replace HxH with another long series and maybe use 2am for obscure premieres in the meantime.

I can skip the first part and feel nothing...... except of course for MHA!  That is a shonen but it is NOT long at all, it's about to complete its third season in Japan, and the pacing is the best I ever SEEN from any of these others in that timeframe!

29 minutes ago, elfie said:

I can skip the first part and feel nothing...... except of course for MHA!  That is a shonen but it is NOT long at all, it's about to complete its third season in Japan, and the pacing is the best I ever SEEN from any of these others in that timeframe!

It’s not long currently though it’s over 60 episodes. However, if it continues to get a new season every year then it’ll reach 100 episodes in a couple more years and possibly go beyond that. Toonami won’t catch up till season 4 at this rate (sometime in 2020). Season 4 hasn’t been announced yet for 2019 but it’s dang likely it will happen. Otherwise, MHA will catch up to the end of season 3 on Toonami about one year from now.

6 hours ago, mochi said:

as they're now showing TWO DBSuper reruns at 8 and 8:30 as of tonight......yeah when the block extends on the 29'th it's literally gonna be a full night of Anime again (''>_>'')

Actually, that's been going on for awhile, since September 10th, to be exact. And it hasn't been a thing on Saturday nights all this year; just Monday-Friday. But what's really weird is there will be NO Dragon Ball Super on Friday, September 28th! Instead, we get almost a whole night of Bob's Burgers, with just a sprinkling of 4 episodes of Brak from 12:30-1:30. I'm at a loss as to just what the occasion might be, but there ya go. https://adultswim.sercomkc.org/

I'm also quite bummed out that the Super reruns apparently WON'T reach episode 79 yet, which is the one I recorded but lost, so I still haven't even seen it yet (last week's). I thought this would end perfectly since Episode 80 is coming up this week on Toonami, but I guess 78 is as far as this rerun will go until at least 10/1. On that day we MIGHT get episodes 79 and 80, and then on 10/2 reset to episode 1? I don't get the logic in that, since showing 79 and 80 as normal Friday would indubitably build hype for 81 on Saturday night at 11, but that might be what they're doing. The schedule for 10/1 remains shrouded in mystery but I'd say it's most likely that 79 and 80 get skipped over and we simply reset to 1 & 2 on 10/1. The Dragon Ball Super rerun seems to be doing quite well in the ratings, so it would be a shame if they decided to pull it, but this IS still Adult Swim we're talking about here. For the past 10 years they've seldom given anime a bone without also kicking out one of its legs, but you could argue that's exactly what happened from 8/18-9/10. In that time frame, it gained an extra 3 hours weekly (30 minutes to Toonami; 2.5 to the DBS rerun). But could the Super reruns be ending with Toonami's expansion to 7 hours?

Edited by OwlChemist81

**looks**

Well I'll be damned. Guess I'll have to save these last few episodes of the Zamasu saga after all. And maybe the Baseball episode. Best case scenario, it was gonna reset to Episode 1 anyway. It wasn't going beyond 80 since what's coming on Toonami next is 80.

I sure hope this isn't permanent, and that CN has a GOOD reason to steal the 8 PM hour from [as]. But somehow I doubt it.

13 hours ago, mochi said:

as they're now showing TWO DBSuper reruns at 8 and 8:30 as of tonight......yeah when the block extends on the 29'th it's literally gonna be a full night of Anime again (''>_>'')

NOW I see what you mean--since [as] loses the 9 PM hour on 10/1, that also is in effect on Saturdays, and 10/6 [as] begins with Toonami and DBZ Kai!

"DRAGONSOUL!!"

Edited by OwlChemist81

On 9/18/2018 at 11:37 PM, scope said:

I don't get how people liked Pop Team Epic, it's one of the laziest comedy shows I've ever seen, kinda belongs on modern adult swim tho.

When I saw it I thought it would be the one thing that everyone alive would be able to agree on..... that it was unfunny nonsense that they were too lazy to even fill 30 minutes with.

But then I realized Adam Sandler has been making movies for the last 20 years. And getting them shown in theaters.

Tyler Perry is worth 600 million dollars.

Adam Sandler is worth 360 million.

There are just millions of people out there that will literally laugh at anything.

So even with the comedic equivalent of Showgirls, people will still find a way to claim its funny.

3 hours ago, Daos said:

There are just millions of people out there that will literally laugh at anything.

So even with the comedic equivalent of Showgirls, people will still find a way to claim its funny.

While I do agree with the central point (thanks, The Big Bang Theory), do you really have to go this far to try and slander the show? Why can't you just say that it isn't funny and move on? What have these two girls done to make you keep going on and on about how the show sucks and isn't funny?

At least tomorrow marks the last episode, so we can continue talking about this into infinity.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blatch said:

While I do agree with the central point (thanks, The Big Bang Theory), do you really have to go this far to try and slander the show? Why can't you just say that it isn't funny and move on? What have these two girls done to make you keep going on and on about how the show sucks and isn't funny?

At least tomorrow marks the last episode, so we can continue talking about this into infinity.

I don't know, why do people still talk about Showgirls and the Phantom Menace? Or Plan 9 from Outer Space?

What have they done?? What haven't they done!

• Haha 1