UnevenEdge

The MAL Debacle

BUU8800

I'm not really happy with anything going on with MAL right now.  I can't say I'm at the point of giving up on it entirely, but I imported my anime and manga over to Anilist, so chances are if I keep using it for a while I'll just stick with that as my main site, especially if MAL does't have full functionality when the Summer 2018 shows start.

After sending Myanimelist a new email account to reset the password, I was able to sign into my account and import the list into Anilist, but I'll double check to see if there's anything missing later in the week because I'm too friggin busy. In the future, I'll update both sites to play it safe.

Edited by SorceressPol

Is this scandal still going on? I thought it wrapped up weeks ago and nobody bothered to say anything.

I have a MAL account, but I've hardly ever used it. It's always annoyed me that they only use the romanized Japanese titles for most shows. :|

For reasons I can't understand they prioritized anime and mange reviews next, which are now back up. On their twitter they say user profiles should be back within the next week, and then characters and people. So I guess they're saving the forums until after that so who knows how long that'll be. But it's looking now like there's a real chance they won't be ready for the start of the Summer season in July which is laughably bad.

Edited by BUU8800

man I wonder how colossal of a fuck up went down to cripple site functionality for so long.

those who are upset should realize there's a lot of factors that go into back-end development of a website such as MAL. they're handling databases that contain millions of users and probably hundreds of millions of list entries. that's a heavy load of data which needs to be handled with care, so it's not a surprise that downtime has been long. I suppose more transparency would be appreciated, but there would probably be a prolonged state of repetition if they're stuck on fixing up one feature for multiple weeks.

part of me wonders if this is GDPR related

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Considering they forced us to change all our passwords shortly before maintenance started, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I'm not sure if passwords would really count as personally identifiable information if they're secured correctly (hashed).  If for some ungodly reason they weren't hashing passwords and storing them in plaintext, it would be very easy to run through all existing accounts, hash their passwords then update all of the relevant files in production. GDPR regulations are mostly for personally identifiable information and disclosing what information websites collect from their users, plus allowing any user in the EU to view or request a website sends them all of the information they've collected about them.

Funny enough, GitHub and Twitter both recently experienced an issue where their internal systems were logging plaintext passwords of their users. I wonder if they were using a similar dependency for logging and if MAL potentially uses the same one? However, even if they did run into the same issue, it wouldn't take so long to rectify. The timing of everything is all too convenient though. Who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been enjoying the people on Twitter complaining that they haven't been able to watch any anime since MAL went down last month. I remember when I used to use Microsoft Word to track everything. Though MAL going down just as I'm getting back into anime is like... peak MAL shittiness tbh.

Honestly this is why I've had an AniDB account for over 10 years (though I did have to remake it a while back). I honestly don't think it's ever been down. I'll always feel secure knowing that AniDB is there.

I did end up pulling my lists from MAL and start an AniList account though which is kinda nice since I like to track manga too. (Feel free to hit me up if you're into that.) I do like that you have more access to random stats. Like the voice actor stats. I've spent almost 1000 hours with Koyasu and TomoSeki. 

I'll keep updating MAL, but honestly with their API problems, AniList is looking better and better.

maxresdefault.jpg

So I checked and didn't really see any one month later Spongebob time cards. This was the closest I found, but considering this is probably gonna go between 4(which it's officially at in a few hours (6AM EST) and 6 weeks it still works I guess. As I said before Characters and People are their next priority, which according to their twitter should be back within a few days. They've also said they're gonna try and get the forums up before "most" Summer shows begin airing, but can't promise anything. The Summer anime season's a bit funny this year. It technically begins next week, but an unusually large number of shows aren't starting until July 10th or later for some reason. Either way guess we'll see.

Edited by BUU8800

Lawlz, yeah it has been annoying.

At least I'm not a super avid animu watcher anymore.

But I do see that the lists work and now profiles are back up, so at least there's that.

Edited by Mewn
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mewn said:

Naaaah >_> I end up watching TV shows instead.

Although I'm starting to get behind on even those...well, just Handmaid's Tale.

I'm like one ep behind on that too >_>

• 2 weeks later...

Notifications are now fixed, but they've effectively given up on the forums for the time being, moving them from possibly returning as soon as tomorrow to the dreaded "delayed until further notice" shadow realm while moving on to other small stuff. They claim they "hope" they have more information by the end of next week. Because ya know, fuck wanting to discuss the new shows beginning in the new season from the start. God what a dumpster fire. xD 

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1

• panic locked this topic