UnevenEdge

The MAL Debacle

BUU8800

13 minutes ago, stilgar said:

What?

12 minutes ago, scope said:

It's never coming back.

It damn well better! If only so I can import it to Anilist, which I now have one of! >:(

Edited by BUU8800

Between the site going down for maintenance, them forcibly locking my account because of some bullshit security problem, the e-mail I used to register my account being too defunct for me to use it to recover my password, and my currently partaking in the 2018 Anime Watching Challenge on-site... yeah, I've gotta say this is some steaming hot bullshit.

It has been a pain to look up shows and seiyuu without it, especially with the Summer season coming up soon. I'm not too critical of them needing to take their time on the site's maintenance and don't have much of a use for the show tracker after the switch to Kitsu, but it does help to have more to work with than just ANN, Anidb, or Wikipedia for sources.

Guest The Hound

Oh my god.

No!

I have made good friends over there.

This is horrible news.

The site has been shit for years but the people I've made friends with off there have been my friends for like 10 years now.
I went there during my ASMB IP ban.

Guest The Hound
3 hours ago, imchapp.in said:

It has been a pain to look up shows and seiyuu without it, especially with the Summer season coming up soon. I'm not too critical of them needing to take their time on the site's maintenance and don't have much of a use for the show tracker after the switch to Kitsu, but it does help to have more to work with than just ANN, Anidb, or Wikipedia for sources.

Yeah I was planning on making the Summer 2018 thread tonight and it's gonna be much more annoying without it. Kitsu is alright, I gots one that hasn't been updating in 2 years, but I still consider the layout vastly inferior to MAL. I actually started an Anilist over this shit and I'd rank them above Kitsu too.

I don't regularly update mine anymore so didn't know there are problems. This must be less than a week though right? Swore I went there to check something recently and all seemed fine.

Yup, me too, but I'm far too lazy to put all 1000 entries. Still it's a start. Waiting for MAL to come back to import the ones I miss. I'll probably still keep MAL as my primary list site, ASSUMING IT EVEN COMES BACK, but I'll try and more regularly update kitsu and anilist too. It's strange, but not having MAL really has slowed down my anime watching too. I still get my seasonals in, but I know I'd have watched more over the last few days than I have had they not gone down.

Edited by BUU8800

Oh I'm actually keeping a written list of all the anime I've watched this year. Funnily enough your list from late last year inspired me to do it PokeNirvash so I have been doing it all year as a matter of fact. I'm actually at 922 individual episodes this year currently. Though about 50 to 100 are shorts, but about a dozen are full length movies(I count one movie as one episode) so maybe that balances it out I dunno.

Some might say sad, but either way. I actually set 2 goals for myself at the start of the year. 700 because iirc you were in the mid 600s at the end of last year, and then 1000 as a stretch goal of sorts. So once I hit that, assuming I do, I'll probably slow down.

Edited by BUU8800

It's driving me crazy too.  I'm too lazy to join another anime site so I think I'll go back to doing what I used to do before I joined MAL and look

in the anime thread to figure out the last episode of a show that I last watched.  I don't think I'd have to look too far back.

... okay so they're down for maintenance?

Okay then that means they'll go back up!

Random Curiosity, which one of our members works on, went down for a week and then went back up. What's to stop MAL from doing the same?

Coincidentally, all my anime watching this season is on the weekends, so I happened to TOTALLY miss them going down until now right after my last added entry to my list on Sunday.

I was able to import my lists to Anilist via MALGraph, but it's not perfect. It's several months behind for whatever reason, but until MAL's back up and I can do a proper import it's better than nothing. We're a couple hours away from MAL being down for 5 full days btw. Ridiculous.

Yeah, I literally just checked again to see it up....only to then see that no, the manga half of the site isn't actually back yet. Can't even view my profile page yet. Good lord. xD 

Edited by BUU8800

Haa...I just tried that Anilist site because I was mildly curious as to what other options are available, and there's a big banner emblazoned across the bottom saying, "A modern browser is required to use this site."  Really great sign when the assholes can't even properly detect a browser's feature set. :D

The forum seems to still be down as well. I just tried to import my lists over to anilist, which works fine for me, but apparently since I'm using this chromebook now I don't have the hardware necessary to convert my lists into xml formats to properly export there so so much for that. Now I could try and use MALGraph but that will probably take awhile. Just get your shit together already for Christ's sake MAL! xD 

So in about an hour it'll be officially one week since MAL went down. And even now only a small piece of it is back up, with forums, profiles, and anything manga related still inaccessible. Pretty big shit show indeed, but at this point I'm beginning to sound like a broken record. So this'll be my last post on the subject until anything else comes back up. Hopefully the wait from here on out will be a matter of hours and not days or weeks.

PokeNirvash rant:

FUCK MAL AND FUCK THEIR SHITTY CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR NOT UNLOCKING MY ACCOUNT YET YOU CAN'T POSSIBLY BE THAT BUSY YOU FUCKING SHITBAGS

FUCK!!!!

[ahem]

Some people are just so goddamn lucky, aren't they. [glares at Elfie]

2 hours ago, elfie said:

... guys I was able to log in and add the anime I watched yesterday.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Yes, but that and exporting is literally all you can do for now. Been that way since Saturday. Couldn't even click on your own profile page right? I still can't anyway. (I know I said I'd stop but not if other people are still gonna respond!)

Edited by BUU8800

Poke they're trying to fix the entire site.  Of course they're goddamn busy.

Honestly I'm good for right now myself.  The only part of the site I use is my list, and that's back up.  I could do with the history working too, but that's a minor inconvenience.

1 hour ago, Adminderaptorpat said:

I posted a tweeter if anyone is inclined to retweet/like.

Out of curiosity, how long ago did everything first go down over there?

I LITERALLY JUST SAID SO EARLIER TODAY, roughly 6AM last Monday, EST. God, nobody listens to me!

• Sad 1

• panic locked this topic