UnevenEdge

The April Fool's Day 2018 Discussion Thread

Blatch

We have about four and a half days left until the big reveal, so let's get all of our predictions down for posterity.

Personally, I think it will be a premiere of Re:Zero at the top of the block, and then an FLCL marathon. It's especially advantageous considering that the first episode of the former is an hour long. They could air the unadulterated version the first time, and then split it into half-hour chunks for the next few weeks, so people wouldn't miss much as a result of sudden gag.

It never occurred to me that they could preempt everything until 6:00 a.m. for a gag, but in that case, running FLCL S1 twice would be fill the schedule out nicely. Now, what's your opinion?

Also, feel free to use this thread to discuss the actual gag when it happens. xD

Edited by Blatch
_-_-_-_-_
  • Like 2

the only issue with airing flcl twice is that i assume they'd also be giving it a weekly run right after. they might not care about airing it 3 times though, 4 if they double it up weekly and run it twice. this would work best if they did run bebop 1 and 2 on the 7th. may possibly be the normal lineup but they fuck with the shows like in previous years, making them have to run the lineup normally the following week. maybe not though if it's something that's been planned for a while. (yes, all the premieres would anyway, but specifically including double bebop, although that might not really matter. it would make things easier though.)

whatever it is must preempt 2nd gig because that's the show that makes flcl fit on june 2nd and there would otherwise be a free 3:30 slot the week before memorial day (which should be the last kai marathon and not a flcl marathon). so because this has to go until at least 4 am, it could be more than one thing.

i'm down for the room airing again. i'm a fan of the movie, but it's also related to the 2012 april fools' event.

could be some tokusatsu thing. could be something with subtitles. could be none of these things. six years of hype, hoping it lives up to it.

Edited by korosu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

We have about four-and-a-half days left until the big reveal, so let's get all of our predictions down for posterity.

Personally, I think it will be a premiere of Re:Zero at the top of the block, and then an FLCL marathon. It's especially advantageous considering that the first episode of the former is an hour long. They could air the unadulterated version the first time, and then split it into half-hour chunks for the next few weeks, so people wouldn't miss much as a result of sudden gag.

It never occurred to me that they could preempt everything until 6:00 a.m. for a gag, but in that case, running FLCL S1 twice would be fill the schedule out nicely. Now, what's your opinion?

I like your idea but I think if they repeat the same episode for next week it’s really going to bomb. If they actually start the prank at midnight they’ll already be a lot of eyes on the screen.

So the question remains willthey really Premier a brand new show unannounced with no advertising ? It would be a pretty bold move but we’ll see if they do it I think that it’s worth a shot but it could backfire also.  On one hand you would get a lot of people watching that first episode but if people aren’t watching they would miss it.  Then if you go and repeat the same episodes over two weeks the people that did watch it the first time won’t be watching again and as a result the rest of the night would be lower. Interesting dilemma

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jman said:

The Room or The Disaster Artist.

probably

they did randomly show a music video with Tommy Wiseu in it a couple weeks back so it's extremely unlikely this years april fools joke isn't in some way related to the room

3 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I like your idea but I think if they repeat the same episode for next week it’s really going to bomb

It might be interesting if it's permanently slotted after Gundam or JoJo. But it does feel like a Midnight show.

I don't know how I would feel about a stealth premiere at Midnight of a brand new show that will stay at midnight. It probably wouldn't do any worse if episodes 1 & 2 get repeated before Episode 3 premieres on 4/21...

But I REALLY don't want Toonami cut by some crap like The Room.

We don't know that. Someone on Twitter commented that they might just play the normal lineup but with TOM 4 doing the bumps.

Also somewhat unrelated, since Samurai Champloo showed up on the Marathon Stream last night, I feel it might get another run on one of the late night slots. But whether or not this happens this week; I don't know.

39 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It might be interesting if it's permanently slotted after Gundam or JoJo. But it does feel like a Midnight show.

I don't know how I would feel about a stealth premiere at Midnight of a brand new show that will stay at midnight. It probably wouldn't do any worse if episodes 1 & 2 get repeated before Episode 3 premieres on 4/21...

But I REALLY don't want Toonami cut by some crap like The Room.

Yeah all that’s going to do is upset people who aren’t getting their normal shows. They shouldn’t waste an opportunity like this. It needs to at least be something worthy of replacing the regular lineup. People who want to see Jojo, Gundam, HxH ect are going to be mad no matter what, but if you offer a new show or something fun, it may not be as bad!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Daos said:

I still say RE Zero on Toonami is wishful thinking at this point =P

I think it’s sort of the power of group think. Everyone has been talking about it as if it’s an almost sure thing. But we don’t even know if it’s something that’s been on their radar.

Some have pointed out how it’s gettkng a home release but hasn’t been announced as joining FunimationNow, but I believe there have been several titles that were released on video and then quietly simultaneously been added. 

I think though it would be a tremendous waste to not get it and if they aren’t aware of it, then that’s an issue all in itself. 

I just want something different this year. If it’s all just more Jojo, Ghoul, Titan,and Gundam, then I’ll become really bored of the block even more than I already have! And I feel really bad about saying that but it felt a lot more exciting in 14/15!

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Blatch said:

We have about four and a half days left until the big reveal, so let's get all of our predictions down for posterity.

While I would love for this to happen, I think something like this is too normal for an April Fool's joke.  Even after the Rick and Morty prank last year, Adult Swim would still rather screw with people somehow, I think.

Airing The Room with Toonami bumpers is something I could see happening.  Personally, I don't think Adult Swim would ever air The Disaster Artist.  Why air that when they can just air The Room?

Airing a block full of Hamtaro is something else I could see possibly occurring. 

Or hell, maybe they'll just draw mustaches over everyone's faces.  

8 hours ago, Blatch said:

At this point I can't even predict anything CLOSE to what they may do.

10 minutes ago, Daos said:

How many people predicted the stealth premiere of Rick and Morty S3? Probably zero. It's going to be something super random and weird. They may not do anything just to fuck with us this year.

I mean if they wanna be random as fuck it could be a marathon of Hamtaro or something

41 minutes ago, Daos said:

How many people predicted the stealth premiere of Rick and Morty S3? Probably zero. It's going to be something super random and weird. They may not do anything just to fuck with us this year.

But they did that in 2016, so you can even make an argument that them doing nothing is expected.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaptainStarwind said:

But they did that in 2016, so you can even make an argument that them doing nothing is expected.

Haruhi endless 8 arc incoming.

Speaking of which have you still not seen the movie Starwind? You sicken me!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Daos said:

Haruhi endless 8 arc incoming.

Speaking of which have you still not seen the movie Starwind? You sicken me!

I've spent so much time trying to catch up on Toonami shows that that's about all I've been watching for now lol.  I'll watch this tonight now that you've brought it up.  I'm working third shift now but I'm off tonight, so I probably won't even attempt sleep until 7 in the morning.

4 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

While I would love for this to happen, I think something like this is too normal for an April Fool's joke.  Even after the Rick and Morty prank last year, Adult Swim would still rather screw with people somehow, I think.

Airing The Room with Toonami bumpers is something I could see happening.  Personally, I don't think Adult Swim would ever air The Disaster Artist.  Why air that when they can just air The Room?

Airing a block full of Hamtaro is something else I could see possibly occurring. 

Or hell, maybe they'll just draw mustaches over everyone's faces.  

The biggest disappointment with this is that it’s something  random that doesn’t bring anything new to the block and we go back to the same schedule we have now including double Bebop. I think it would be a wasted opportunity to really do something exciting with the block!

• Blatch changed the title to The (Un)official April Fool's Day 2018 Predictions Thread
1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Did you REALLY just do that?

Just post the entire dub of Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya to this thread like it was nothing?

Kudos!! I'll have to check this out...

Yeah I did it. You don't know me I do what I want!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Yeah I did it. You don't know me I do what I want!

Speaking of that I just finished watching that.  I'm not sure why I haven't watched that before, to be honest with you.  I watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya last when I was still in high school, which would have been 5 years ago at this point.  The best answer I could come up with was it's length, or just wanting to give something else a try at the time.  This probably isn't the thread to discuss this in but whatever.  It was a good movie, I thought.  I really enjoyed the drama with him making his choice, and how they leave it to the audience as to whether or not his choice was the right one to make.  I honestly don't know what choice would have been the right one.  But anyway, great movie and a great way to spend my last day off.

To make this somewhat on topic, Toonami could air Madoka Magica on April Fool's Day with TOM 4 bumpers voiced over like they were airing on the KidsWB version of Toonami.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Speaking of that I just finished watching that.  I'm not sure why I haven't watched that before, to be honest with you.  I watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya last when I was still in high school, which would have been 5 years ago at this point.  The best answer I could come up with was it's length, or just wanting to give something else a try at the time.  This probably isn't the thread to discuss this in but whatever.  It was a good movie, I thought.  I really enjoyed the drama with him making his choice, and how they leave it to the audience as to whether or not his choice was the right one to make.  I honestly don't know what choice would have been the right one.  But anyway, great movie and a great way to spend my last day off.

To make this somewhat on topic, Toonami could air Madoka Magica on April Fool's Day with TOM 4 bumpers voiced over like they were airing on the KidsWB version of Toonami.

All 12 episodes, from 12-6 AM??

Sorry, but that seems kinda far-fetched to me.

49 minutes ago, Misaka said:

Not your decision

If I had to guess it would be a comedy marathon

Ain't your decision either, bub. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Good thing the Final Four should be well past done by then. Yes, the last game will encroach on DBS but that's about it. And that's still eyeballs to Turner.

On 3/27/2018 at 3:25 PM, Daos said:

Hah everyone wants Re Zero, but its more likely we get... GHOULED.

Probably not...

...unless Toonami is somehow crazy enough to air it on 4/7, which would be four days after the Japanese run begins. But Funi can't keep same-day simuldubs up for that long for most shows, so they would be forced to take a break at some point.

or it could just be a Marathon of that weird anime parody show made by the Superjail crew that they showed a promo for last weekend

edit: I mean they did Say Sunday at Midnight

Edited by mochi
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

Probably not...

...unless Toonami is somehow crazy enough to air it on 4/7, which would be four days after the Japanese run begins. But Funi can't keep same-day simuldubs up for that long for most shows, so they would be forced to take a break at some point.

My bet is TG:re is coming to Toonami, and the same-day simuldub is just so [as] has enough footage for promos. And if I remember correctly, they also alluded to taking a break, which would be perfect for [as] to use to catch up so it and FUNi are airing the episodes at around the same time.

• Like 1

The idea of a break is more so Funi can get relief from the dubbing process, because doing it on the same day as the Japanese release is apparently pretty taxing. My Hero Academia had this done for it last year, but after getting halfway through the season they did have to take some weeks off. After that, the simuldub was released ahead of Funi's other shows, but not the same week as the sub. And now they're doing it again for MHA's third season along with Tokyo Ghoul;re. I thought I heard that the show Golden Kamuy was also getting a same-day simuldub, but I guess I either misread it or whoever said it was lying, because it's not listed that way on Funi's website.

Therefore, they seem to be chasing more of these instantaneous dubs for more popular shows. At this point, it's not only possible but probable that they'll do it for Attack on Titan S3 in July... kudos to Al for calling that. But whether or not the same-day dub airs on Toonami is another matter. 

51 minutes ago, Blatch said:

The idea of a break is more so Funi can get relief from the dubbing process, because doing it on the same day as the Japanese release is apparently pretty taxing.

Yeah, that too. :P

28 minutes ago, elfie said:

.... YOU ALL know my opinion of Toyko Ghoul.

Which of course means it will come true.  >:

Sometimes the best thing to do is to say nothing at all. And I mean nothing. >:(

8 hours ago, elfie said:

.... YOU ALL know my opinion of Toyko Ghoul.

Which of course means it will come true.  >:

I think I've seen two people on these boards that actually liked TG. Not counting Owl since he likes everything of course.

• Like 1

Toonami has been up for how many years now, and in all that time, how many pranks have seriously wrecked the lineup?

Toonami has earned its separation from [as]. They're not going to pull any comedy stunts. Remember, 4/1 was a Saturday last year, and Toonami was not greatly impacted.

A stealth premier is a maybe, I would guess, but doesn't really seem like a Toonami thing to do. And, basically being a copy of last year, seems rather uninspired. If they picked the right movie, I could see that happening. But I don't think it's enough of a dead ratings weekend to warrant tanking with any movie. Same for any marathon.

Maybe it'd be fun to do some sort of DBZ Abridged type stunt.

But, personally, I'm not sure Toonami has the luxury of tossing out the schedule for a prank the way [as] does. Although, with Outlaw Star and now Bebop over, with no announcements/ads for replacements, I would sorta expect something to fill the week before starting up "new" stuff next week. (this would mean they went to the trouble of making the newest schedule bump for just a week-ish, bit of a wasted effort, but... idk.)

• Like 1

• Blatch changed the title to The April Fool's Day 2018 Discussion Thread
  • katt_goddess pinned this topic
  • StarPanda unpinned this topic