UnevenEdge

The April Fool's Day 2018 Discussion Thread

Blatch

It is very surprising to see English Subtitled Anime on Adult Swim. Throughout the years, they always made it a point to mock their Anime viewers with promos of Weeaboos cosplaying as characters from Adult Swim Anime.

I have no problem watching Anime subbed or dubbed. However, I was expecting to watch Stardust Crusaders and Shippuden. 

As for FLCL, I was never a fan of the series years ago and still find the series to be overrated and hyped. There have been plenty of titles released over the years, that Adult Swim overlooked.

While this movie airs, I will be watching something else.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl

3 minutes ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

It is very surprising to see English Subtitled Anime on Adult Swim. Throughout the years, they always made it a point to mock their Anime viewers with promos of Weeaboos cosplaying as characters from Adult Swim Anime.

I have no problem watching Anime subbed or dubbed. However, I was expecting to watch Stardust Crusaders and Shippuden. 

As for FLCL, I was never a fan of the series years ago and still find the series to be overrated and hyped. There have been plenty of titles released over the years, that Adult Swim overlooked.

Don't turn off that TV just yet.

• Like 2

Yup. Hunter × Hunter will be on next.

We're under the assumption that everything aired this week will be repeated on the next, but as dubbed, so don't worry if you end up missing anything. I'm getting ready to go to sleep soon anyway.

• Like 1

You know, for as much amazing as this gag has been... objectively, there's one bad thing about it.

At the end of the night, we still won't know what the schedule for April 7 is. It's easy enough for anyone to predict at this point, but come on.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Blatch said:

You know, for as much amazing as this gag has been... objectively, there's one bad thing about it.

At the end of the night, we still won't know what the schedule for April 7 is. It's easy enough for anyone to predict at this point, but come on.

clearly we're getting FLCL2 in Cowboy Bebop's place next week

which means it was BS when they said the show Space Dandy was postponing wasn't FLCL 2

• Haha 2

So, I'm kind of watching half-watching Hunter x Hunter purely for the April Fool's gimmick.  Gon is fighting a guy with banking powers. :| I can see I haven't missed much.  And even when this show has actual fights it's 90% explaining abilities compared to shit actually happening.

These character designs are horrible by the way.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

I really hope they aren't continuing with the double Bebop from now on.  That they only did it last week to wrap up the show and this week for the April Fool's gimmick.  Because that would be not one but two slots wasted, and no new shows coming in.  How much further will Toonami waste away?

15 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I really hope they aren't continuing with the double Bebop from now on.  That they only did it last week to wrap up the show and this week for the April Fool's gimmick.  Because that would be not one but two slots wasted, and no new shows coming in.  How much further will Toonami waste away?

Scratch that.  Looks like just one Bebop tonight.  Still, it better not be back next week.

I don't know what the hell that was or what purpose it served, but it was demented.  Also Scavengers broke the streak of showing Japanese subbed stuff.  Anyway, at least the insanity is finally over!

The Adult Swim sign off thing... one last bit of insanity lol.

• Haha 1

Honestly, the first few episodes of the regular block seemed somehow perfectly timed for this prank. Could there have been a better episode of Jojo than magnetic blowjobs? Is there any Hunter more fitting than these mind boggling numbers? It even felt entirely appropriate that it would be the first episode of Bebop that we'd see subbed.

Scavengers... when I saw the block was airing stuff on the :15/:45, I knew something had to be up at the end. Wasn't this something that aired a while back? Feels so familiar.

Edited by rpgamer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Scavengers... when I saw the block was airing stuff on the :15/:45, I knew something had to be up at the end. Wasn't this something that aired a while back? Feels so familiar.

They played it back in December 2016 alongside a marathon. Toonami is also funding a sequel to the short, which makes this as good a time as any to show the original again... even at almost 6:00 in the morning.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jman said:

This looks to be FLCL’s answer to Eureka 7 AO.

And you look like an idiot.

13 hours ago, elfie said:

EVERYONE WATCH THIS MOVIE.

Not everything may make sense at first, and it's VERY wacky all teh time but it becomes very engrossing and by the end of the movie you will feel like you life changed.

You, however, I agree with whole-heartedly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ben0119 said:

So, I'm kind of watching half-watching Hunter x Hunter purely for the April Fool's gimmick.  Gon is fighting a guy with banking powers. :| I can see I haven't missed much.  And even when this show has actual fights it's 90% explaining abilities compared to shit actually happening.

Banking powers? DA FUQ?

So, just to remind you people: it's still April Fool's Day. And apparently, Mike Tyson Mysteries isn't new tonight, even though [as] typically does do premieres on Easter. So I would not at all count out them doing another gag, especially since the 4/7 Toonami schedule is somehow still in the dark.

Maybe they'll preempt the entire primetime schedule with an anime premiere... O.o

10 minutes ago, Blatch said:

So, just to remind you people: it's still April Fool's Day. And apparently, Mike Tyson Mysteries isn't new tonight, even though [as] typically does do premieres on Easter. So I would not at all count out them doing another gag, especially since the 4/7 Toonami schedule is somehow still in the dark.

Maybe they'll preempt the entire primetime schedule with an anime premiere... O.o

that would be odd but **shrug**

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Knuckle is amazing. He's a yakuza biker gang thug with a bankruptcy power (which is hilariously brilliant in its own right).

Also,

horriblesubs-hunter-x-hunter-87-720p-mkv

1422825_1412705756700_full.jpg?v=1412705

v1iemxG.png

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, PurgatoryGirl said:

Don't be fooled. Yes, I can be bossy, ball-busting, and demanding. However, I am NOT a man. Much like Hellsing's Sir Integra, who was born and raised FEMALE, I am a woman.;)

And apparently a woman after my own heart if you invoke THAT femme fatale! Well, except for the smoking part. I wasn't so keen on that from Integra!

So tonight a Toonami promo aired for Countdown/Scavengers at 11:30 PM. Anyone know if that's legit, or just a silly April Fool's joke? It aired right before the hour-long "Bushworld" Aussie Rick & Morty stunt.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

And apparently a woman after my own heart if you invoke THAT femme fatale! Well, except for the smoking part. I wasn't so keen on that from Integra!

By no means am I a smoker. Never was and never will. It may look "cool," but I don't enjoy smelling like a human ash tray or coughing up my lungs, while someone blows smoke in my face.

In fact, I actually yanked a guy's cigarette out of his mouth and stomped on it because he refused to stop blowing smoke in my face after politely asking him to stop. I came really close to sucker punching that guy, too especially after asking, "What's the matter, babe? Don't like the smoke?"xD

• Like 2

On 3/28/2018 at 3:12 AM, CaptainStarwind said:

Speaking of that I just finished watching that.  I'm not sure why I haven't watched that before, to be honest with you.  I watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya last when I was still in high school, which would have been 5 years ago at this point.  The best answer I could come up with was it's length, or just wanting to give something else a try at the time.  This probably isn't the thread to discuss this in but whatever.  It was a good movie, I thought.  I really enjoyed the drama with him making his choice, and how they leave it to the audience as to whether or not his choice was the right one to make.  I honestly don't know what choice would have been the right one.  But anyway, great movie and a great way to spend my last day off.

To make this somewhat on topic, Toonami could air Madoka Magica on April Fool's Day with TOM 4 bumpers voiced over like they were airing on the KidsWB version of Toonami.

Oh and just in case you're a completionist type person, they made a side series called the disappearance of Nagato Yuki Chan set in the same non magical parallel world the movie takes place in. Everyone is a normal high schooler without any powers. It's a good slice of lifer but it's no Toradora or anything.

14 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Oh hush, you know the "man" wasn't literal. :P

We can never be so sure, especially with the way trolls from ASMB's community love to spread lies and smear campaigns about certain posters for the sake of being malicious, and wanting to put someone in his/her place.

In fact, there have been a few, who have spent the last 3 years incessantly lying to everyone about me personally by saying, that I am a man. This is all because they are jealous of someone, who I exchanged sexually suggestive and explicit banter with for laughs on Lithium.

It's amazing, too. It's not like I was dating anyone there, but there is a troll who loves using me as target practice and thinks he can publicly shame us over jokes meant in good fun. That's besides him making sick, attention-seeking, hoax threads about himself and other posters he hates "dying." Anyway...

When JoJo's Bizarre Adventure starts at Eastern Time (12 am), it is still at Central Time, which is 11 pm on my end. I expected those pranks to start on Sunday night rather than Sunday morning. I also didn't consider the fact, that the pranks would start at Eastern Time.

I can see why Toonami did those April Fool's pranks but they were annoying. I only wanted to DVR certain shows, which threw off the entire TV schedule. As for FLCL, I was never a fan of the show.

• Like 2

I went to bed midway through MIND GAME because i was getting tired, I already saw the movie before, and because the line-up wasn't announced beforehand I assumed they wouldn't go back to the normal schedule after that. So I didn't get to see the episode and this Saturday will be my first time for it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

At least we get to see their dubs this week!

Damn, that JoJo episode is hilarious!!

The voice actor for Joseph in Japanese is just as melodramatic and hilarious as the voice actor in English. Although, watching the English Dub is a lot funnier, in my opinion.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 7:47 AM, Daos said:

Oh and just in case you're a completionist type person, they made a side series called the disappearance of Nagato Yuki Chan set in the same non magical parallel world the movie takes place in. Everyone is a normal high schooler without any powers. It's a good slice of lifer but it's no Toradora or anything.

Yeah, I'm aware of Nagato Yuki Chan, though I haven't watched it yet.  I'm currently working my way through Welcome to the NHK, though I haven't watched it in like two weeks, since I haven't had much time.  I was also watching Kimagure Orange Road, but I'm honestly considering dropping that one, or at least cutting back on watching it.  The main character pisses me off to no end and I'm starting to get frustrated with his stupidity.

Mind Games was also awesome.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:34 PM, PurgatoryGirl said:

In some ways, there is something about the English script for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, that I find funnier.

I was just rewatching the sub on the end of a rewatch of Mind Game, and I gotta say, you're right!

I can hardly wait for the level of hilarity that the English dub is going to add to...THAT scene!!

• Like 1