UnevenEdge

The NBA Thread

Hidden

The Quinn Cook Warriors lost their last game by 40 and they had all their guys that they're gonna have for the first round playing full minutes. If Kawhi comes back for this series this could be a huge upset, hard to bet against Durant but Klaymond has not been stepping up as much this season and I don't think 2015 Iggy is coming back to save them, there's only so much they can do without Steph. Then again this has been the weirdest Spurs season in a long time. Either way, the west is wide open this year and it is great. FINALS MVP GINOBILI

IMO Houston was always the favorite for the 1 seed after they got Chris Paul but they are not winning a title, idc what anyone says. Being that reliant on 3's and free throws and James Harden in high pressure situations is just not going to work, and I look forward to the always way too tense Playoff CP full on melting down and screaming at Harden at some point 

Utah has somehow been great (idk never watch them) and I don't think OKC is getting past them (watched them too much to be confident) but that's a series worth catching every game of for the sheer drama alone, + the weird Rubio-Westbrook matchup. Adding Corey Brewer was a godsend, if their coach finally realizes that he cannot play Melo in the last like, eight minutes of 4th quarters they will have a chance, especially if they run more stuff for Steven Adams who should be looking to go full asshole and ruin Gobert's entire life. 

Glad AD and Playoff Rondo got in but maaaan what could've been with Boogie, that's Portland's series to lose. Kind of sucks that the Wolves won that final game over the Nuggets for the 8 seed last night, Denver is a fun team, but neither was ever going to go anywhere this year. 

I can't believe 47 wins is what it takes to make the playoffs out west now, can we please get rid of conferences so that actually good teams can play instead of the Wizards and Bucks every year by default. 

Love the Cavs Pacers matchup just because we're getting another installment in the storied LeBron vs Lance Stephenson rivalry. Since the Celtics are dead in the water and Toronto is never getting out of the east by God's decree it's looking like another cakewalk for Cleveland, with the exception of one team 

So, I'm picking Philly to make the Finals even with Embiid working his way back from that freaky eye injury, and despite the fact that they could easily lose to Miami in the first round because they're a bunch of 21 year olds and Miami is a sneaky scary team full of solid veterans used to playing with each other doing whatever their championship coach says. 

Man I'm so glad it's nothing like last year, these are exciting times

So after all the game ones I can tell you that Toronto looked shaky, GSW looked good but I still need to see more, Houston might have a tougher time with Minnesota,Pelicans looked good, Sixers meh nice win, Boston we know they ain't going far, OkC looked good we know Lebron is gonna carry and win that series 

There's no way they make Embiid sit out game 3 and risk going down 2-1. He just has to play. 

Last week I filled out a bracket on NBABracketology.com to try to win a contest. Had to go with the Warriors beating Philly in the Finals.

Capture+_2018-04-15-18-44-56.png

Really hope I'm wrong about OKC losing to Utah and the Cavs making it as far as the conference finals, and of course Philly winning it all would be amazing 

Edited by Nabloom

As good as the Sixers have looked I don't think they will make it past the second round. I believe Embiid is a top tier player when healthy, but its unprecedented to see a guy who hasn't played a full NBA season dominate the playoffs. When the Sixers are winning they look amazing, the ball is moving and they're hitting threes and playing defense, but in crunch time they don't have a ball handler/shooter combo to finish games. This showed last night as a 36 year old Wade was the most dominant player on the court, the Sixers fought hard but looked frantic offensively at times down the stretch. I'd really like to say otherwise but it's tough to see them going too far, but hey the East doesn't really have a dominant team right now, heres to hoping they prove me wrong.

Edited by scope

Guest The Hound
On 4/17/2018 at 10:16 PM, scope said:

As good as the Sixers have looked I don't think they will make it past the second round. I believe Embiid is a top tier player when healthy, but its unprecedented to see a guy who hasn't played a full NBA season dominate the playoffs. When the Sixers are winning they look amazing, the ball is moving and they're hitting threes and playing defense, but in crunch time they don't have a ball handler/shooter combo to finish games. This showed last night as a 36 year old Wade was the most dominant player on the court, the Sixers fought hard but looked frantic offensively at times down the stretch. I'd really like to say otherwise but it's tough to see them going too far, but hey the East doesn't really have a dominant team right now, heres to hoping they prove me wrong.

careful

what did you all say about the eagles.

It's not so much that I can't believe the blazers got swept as much as I'm just so surprised Anthony Davis is somehow carrying half of a basketball team into the second round. That team looks like four real starters and then basically just any dudes to put in whenever someone needs a one minute sip of gatorade. 

Edited by Nabloom

The battle continues 

received_2305175222829865.png

Stephenson stayed in James' space as he made his way back to the Cleveland bench and James responded by shoving Stephenson with his forearm, resulting in a technical foul.

It was just the 16th technical foul called on James in 221 career playoff games.

"I mean, I shouldn't have even gotten a tech in the first place," James said after the game. "There's a timeout called and this guy's following me to my bench. I gave him a little nudge and he falls to half court. Come on. But I should know better. I should know better. 

Later in the fourth, Stephenson tangled up with James again on the defensive end, tying him up and getting the refs to call a jump ball. Once the officials blew the whistle, signaling the jump ball to come, Stephenson stripped the ball completely from James and held it up over his head like a trophy he just won.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23291391/cleveland-cavaliers-downplay-effects-lance-stephenson-indiana-pacers

Edited by Nabloom

So glad the refs didn't bail out the Thunder by calling that foul on PG's 3 at the end, Harden has got to be sweating. You should have to hit that shot to win at that point. 

How great would it be to see rookies Donovan Mitchell and Ben Simmons go after each other in the Finals

OKC would have had a better chance to win this series if they gave every Melo shot to Steven Adams, attacking Gobert and taking him out of games with foul trouble was the blueprint, not playing Melo heavy minutes every game just because of his contract when he hasn't given you anything all year. 

Still a pretty amazing Westbrook comeback game though. 

That Philly game was a master class in incompetence. All those shitty unforced turnovers, the confetti, fucking Embiid out behind the three point line instead of guarding Horford under the basket when the C's are inbounding the ball and only need a 2, Simmons' decision making in general, idk why he was even out there at the end I know he's the future but in those moments how do you not ride with big dick McConnell with the season on the line, ofc the untested rookie who can't shoot is going to be a liability in those late game situations, even Bellinelli's miracle shot to force OT was an inch away from being a game winning 3. Honestly as soon as the confetti fell early I knew they were going to lose. Still watching this series but they ruined their own season. 

There was a graphic that aired during the first half of last night's Houston game showing the five players who have shot the most free throws over the last five seasons. It was LeBron Boogie Westbrook and Derozan all between 3000-3200 total free throws, and then number one was James Harden with over 4700

I'm still holding out hope but "if" the 76ers lose to the Celtics you know what the worst part about it is, Philly did the least Process thing possible and literally paid Boston to trade Tatum for Fultz even though they already fucking had a rookie starting point guard, and Tatum has been lighting them up all series long. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but I mean holy shit, that trade didn't even make sense when it happened. 

Win or lose the best thing about this series is knowing these teams are going to play each other a lot in the next few years. 

Well the Sixers vs celtics series got extended one more game 

Meanwhile Lebron owns the Raptors again,Toronto why do you did this all the time why can't you be good in the playoffs  

Lebron will go to the finals again as much as I want to see Boston beat them they won't 

On 4/19/2018 at 5:36 AM, The Hound said:

careful

what did you all say about the eagles.

Except the eagles didn't have to do it four times against the same team and everything I said in that post about the Sixers is obvious now.

9 hours ago, Nabloom said:

Finals MVP Marcus Smart 

He reminds me a little of Draymond Green but without all the jawing with the refs and classless attempts to get under opponents skin, though Morris already does the latter for them.

• 2 weeks later...

After Houston killed that first quarter without Chris Paul and Harden snapped his streak of 20 something missed 3's, I was legitimately worried that this could be the end for Golden State. Like not just the end of their season but the end of Kerr as coach, they trade one half of Klaymond, maybe Durant might think about leaving for half a second - all of it. 

At this point between these two game 7s I'm just hoping for any Finals combination that isn't Cavs-Warriors 4. 

So Boston couldn't hit its shots and they couldn't score when it mattered,Lebron was agreat again he just needed someone else to have a decent game and the Cavs had this props to Boston for going this far they need kyrie to finish out the game next year for them. Lebrons greatness continues in the east 

Loving the refs completely screwing over Harden in this game 7 by refusing to give him free throws when he's fouled behind the 3 point line. They've already stolen about ten free throws from him when his team was up, now they're getting blown out in the third and missing those points. Loving it, that's how it should be in games that matter with a player who looks for fouls as much as Harden does. 

My desire to see a different finals match-up has taken a backseat to my desire to see the rockets fail. I think they would've won this series if Chris Paul didn't get taken out by his unavoidable annual playoff injury, but without him out there going nuts it's just impossible to cheer for them.

Edited by Nabloom